The Official KCUMB Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your opinions guys, they were really helpful.

Here is what the OCCE director wrote to me:

Most of the students use the 4 elective clerkships during the fourth year to gain exposure at residency programs around the country. You are free to use those four clerkships to do clerkships at any program (certified) in the country. No more than two in any specific discipline. Let me know if you need further clarification. We look forward to having you here next fall. Thank you.
-------------------

He seems to imply that 4th years do some switching around the country, but I guess I can find out more about that later.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if I'm my grammar sucks, I have a "Quiz" tomorrow so my brain is kinda shot.

T-funk, about rotations: most people have no clue what they want to do, and rotations are a good place to find out, BUT, the best thing to do is shadow before the clinical years. Even if you don't have a clue of what you want to do yet, like me, you can rule out certain specialties.
I took a year off before med school, and spent it shadowing to get an idea of what's going on. If you guys have some time this summer, I would say have fun most importantly, but if you want to do anything, I would say follow some docs around.

Alright guys, if you have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks for answering my question. That was very helpful advice. I know several of the specialties that I am not interested in whatsoever but there are also several that I may be. I will probably end up shadowing or volunteering over 1st and 2nd yr to help figure out what I am most interested in.

Thanks for your opinions guys, they were really helpful.

Here is what the OCCE director wrote to me:

Most of the students use the 4 elective clerkships during the fourth year to gain exposure at residency programs around the country. You are free to use those four clerkships to do clerkships at any program (certified) in the country. No more than two in any specific discipline. Let me know if you need further clarification. We look forward to having you here next fall. Thank you.
-------------------

He seems to imply that 4th years do some switching around the country, but I guess I can find out more about that later.

There are only 4 electives. For some reason, I had thought there were more. That really seems to indicate, at least to me, that it is necessary to have it pretty well figured out what specialy you are interested in before 4th yr. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only 4 electives. For some reason, I had thought there were more. That really seems to indicate, at least to me, that it is necessary to have it pretty well figured out what specialy you are interested in before 4th yr. Thanks for the info.

you can take a 5th elective if you bypass your vacation time.

there is also a third year elective

I just wanted to let you guys know that I will be attending KCUMB this fall. I'm in the process of trying to find a place to live around the school. I hear that the neighborhood isn't that great but I've lived in worst places. Also is a laptop required for the school?

I'm from Memphis,TN. Will I have to get a Missouri driver's license and change the tags on my car to Missouri tags?

Also is a laptop required for the school?

I've been thinking about this as well. I know a lot of med schools are big into tablet pc's, and honestly that's what I have been researching lately. Any KCUMBers out there that use a tablet? If so I would like to know what you think of it (pros/cons sort of thing). Thanks in advance.

I'm from Memphis,TN. Will I have to get a Missouri driver's license and change the tags on my car to Missouri tags?

I'm from out-of-state as well, and I have an out-of-state license and tags. I never switched over. I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it's necessary to change over to MO tags and license, unless you want to.

I hear that the neighborhood isn't that great but I've lived in worst places.

It's a bit rough for sure, but it's not the worst place I've ever come across, or lived in (actually, it's not even close). You'll be alright if you practice commonsense. A lot of people live in the CT, which is just a block or two from the school. It's convenient, but you are right in that neighborhood. There's not much there. Also, I don't much care for the "dorm-like" feel. Try looking a bit north of the school in the Northland area, i.e., North Kansas City, Gladstone, Liberty, etc. It's not too far away, being only minutes away from the school, and you can find some nice places there that are pretty affordable with a better feel and more access to stuff.

hello all-

I am currently a 3rd year at KCUMB and have a house that will be available for rent starting end of July/ beginning of August 08'. I have a history of renting to KCUMB students and would like to continue that tradition.

The house is HUGE with 3bed/ 2 1/2 bath...8 minutes from school, 3 minutes to the plaza. It has nice privacy fenced back yard and pets are welcome. Rent is $1185/mo.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like me to send you a flier with more info and pics.

Good luck with your upcoming year :)

I've been thinking about this as well. I know a lot of med schools are big into tablet pc's, and honestly that's what I have been researching lately. Any KCUMBers out there that use a tablet? If so I would like to know what you think of it (pros/cons sort of thing). Thanks in advance.

I've also been researching a lot into tablet PC's and looking at reviews by Med and Law students. So far, they sound like the perfect solution to good note taking and note keeping. People even scan their books and put them in the tablet so they dont have to carry around all the books and they can take notes directly on the scanned pages. The only potential problem I see is if some teachers dont want laptops or tablets in the classroom because of distraction. Can any of the current students tell us if this is true of the KCUMB staff? Thanks!

i love my macbook pro and thatll be my laptop of choice. anything that doesnt run on mac os x i can easily run on the windows side, which i also have installed on the mbp.

i dont think a tablet would suit me well because when Im in class, my style is to listen and kinda lean back and take in what the professor is saying and then I write notes later in the library while listening to the lecture on my recorder.

I'm a first year and most people don't have use laptops in class b/c the school prints off the notes for you so everyone just has them in 3-ring binders and writes on the notes. If anyone is having any questions feel free to e-mail me, i know I was freaking out last year.

[email protected]
cheers,
alicia

I use a tablet pc for work. The handwriting recognition doesn't always recognize my handwriting, and then inserts strange words that I didn't write. It can be frustrating sometimes. I like it better than handwriting all of my reports while in the field, but in class I will probably just write (in ink) on the handouts.

hey guys, I just got my acceptance letter. Please, contribute to my KCUMB vs. Western vs. CCOM thread in Pre-Osteo. I am totally puzzled what I should do. I liked all of these schools but in different ways, have no idea where I want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, with my family coming up for the white coat ceremony can anyone recommend a nearby hotel? I’m hoping for something that’s fairly close and not a total hole.

Yay! i got my acceptance letter! i interviewed last week and i absolutely loved it and i'm about 99% sure i'll be attend KCUMB next year! i look forward to meeting y'all!

Woo hoo! Congrats!

welcome aboard!

i got accepted in the first week of oct and it still doesnt seem real to me

hey guys, I just got my acceptance letter. Please, contribute to my KCUMB vs. Western vs. CCOM thread in Pre-Osteo. I am totally puzzled what I should do. I liked all of these schools but in different ways, have no idea where I want to go.

Just go to KCUMB! ;)

I got my acceptance letter yesterday. Now if only I can put together the $2000 by the 15th...

So I just sent my last deposit in yesterday afternoon. It was a perfect mixture of pleasure and pain. So I'm all in now. I'm really looking forward to working and clownin' with y'all come August. Anybody got a list of books for classes I can start ebaying now?

So I just sent my last deposit in yesterday afternoon. It was a perfect mixture of pleasure and pain. So I'm all in now. I'm really looking forward to working and clownin' with y'all come August. Anybody got a list of books for classes I can start ebaying now?

I think I am going to wait. On my interview day, the guide said she bought a lot of books and didn't use a lot of them because the note packets were so thorough. Just a thought. There was also a student who posted on here or the discussion thread who gave a few recommendations...

Does anybody know if there are any inexpensive one bed room apartments relatively close to KCUMB?

Does anybody know if there are any inexpensive one bed room apartments relatively close to KCUMB?

Madison at Walnut Creek, Briar Hill, and some other complexes are just north on I35/I29. You can get a one bedroom for between $500 and $600 plus electric/gas, which is about average for Kansas City. It is a 5-10minute drive (about 5 miles). The apartments are good and the neighborhood is much better than around the school.

I'm gonna be a doctor!!! :D:D :banana:
Just got the email from P.B.

the matriculation fee (second payment) is $1000 also right?

I just got an email saying i needed to pay it but they failed to put the amount in the email.

the matriculation fee (second payment) is $1000 also right?

I just got an email saying i needed to pay it but they failed to put the amount in the email.

Yup, $1000. I just got a letter today with the official forms for vaccination records and a physical. So if you were stupid like me and sent in all your info already, get prepared to do it again...

Yup, $1000. I just got a letter today with the official forms for vaccination records and a physical. So if you were stupid like me and sent in all your info already, get prepared to do it again...

I sent it in too and called last week and they told me I have have to do it all over again on their forms. They seemed to insinuate that a lot of people did that. Oh well. I haven't sent in my matriculation fee yet. I probably will next week. I'm getting really nervous now. :scared:

thats wierd, i got my forms way back when.. did all my stuff back then too, i think im 100% done as far as vaccination stuff goes.

How soon after your acceptance letter did you get the other forms? Was it not until you sent the deposit?

How soon after your acceptance letter did you get the other forms? Was it not until you sent the deposit?

I got my info after I sent in the first $1k deposit.

about 3rd/4th year rotations...

is there a way, besides calling the school, to find out how many spots are available for rotations at the various core sites? i'm sure that the core site list changes at times, but i am hoping to get some sort of indication as to the possibility of rotating at one site versus another. is the rotation site match very competitive?

also, i'm married and my wife will be working in k.c. for years 1 and 2. if i were to request rotation sites in k.c., would my family situation be taken into consideration?

is there a way, besides calling the school, to find out how many spots are available for rotations at the various core sites? i'm sure that the core site list changes at times, but i am hoping to get some sort of indication as to the possibility of rotating at one site versus another. is the rotation site match very competitive?

also, i'm married and my wife will be working in k.c. for years 1 and 2. if i were to request rotation sites in k.c., would my family situation be taken into consideration?

You should join KCUMB's facebook page. They are pretty quick about answering questions like that and there are more 3rd/4th students to gather info from. Just a suggestion...

Im not sure it would be, but from what i heard, most people wanna leave kc and staying isnt too hard.

hello everybody!

Does anyone have info on the bus system in KC? I looked on the city's website, but I got confused.

~Ryan

My wife is graduating from KCUMB this year. We have been able to stay in KC for all four years. I have been able to continue on in my career despite the rigors of her studies. We have lived the entire time in a great two bedroom townhouse in Kansas City, MO. It is north of the river near Liberty. We are moving for her residency, so we are selling it. It can be seen at http://www.marytwright.com/remaxmid...HEARTLANDMLS&proptype=&lwsaccountid=43179&saf= Please contact our realtor if you are interested. It is in a nice, safe neighborhood that is close to shopping. We even finished the basement and put in an additional full bath so her parents would have a place to stay when they would visit. It is perfect for a small family or a couple that is expecting.

hello everybody!

Does anyone have info on the bus system in KC? I looked on the city's website, but I got confused.

~Ryan

Not sure, but Im commenting because I saw on the news last night that the bus schedule and frequency of pickups/stops will decrease in order to gain support for a new rail system. :thumbdown:

that's not good. The rail system sounds kinda cool, but if I'm not mistaken, construction hasn't even started on it yet!!

Heh everyone- congrats on getting into school! I have a house I'm trying to sublet just for June and July while I'm at home for the summer. If you are looking for somewhere to stay while looking for a place of your own, this would be perfect for you. If you only want it for July, I'll take that too! Email me and I'll give you the rest of the info if interested.

[email protected]

Thanks,

EMILY

that's not good. The rail system sounds kinda cool, but if I'm not mistaken, construction hasn't even started on it yet!!

Yeah, not long ago I heard there was another vote to try to get rid of the light rail plan. Now I hear there will be a vote to try to figure out the best way to implement it. I wouldn't worry about anything that has to do with the KC light rail at this point. There are too many unknowns and problems with that plan. I highly doubt I will see any construction for it within the next couple of years.

that's pretty sad. With the way gas prices are going, I may have to try biking ten miles from my house to school. We haven't moved into a place yet, but I don't want to live in downtown KC.

living in CT sure sounds pretty good right now

I live 5 minutes from the school, just north on I29/I35 of North Kansas City. There is a monopoly on most apartment complexes in NKC. Most are cheap and trashy and one is nice and very expensive. I live in Briar Hill now and it is decent. My apartment is pretty big for a one bedroom (over 700 sq ft). There are apartments and townhomes here. Next door are Madison at Walnut Creek Apartments and Aloha at Harbor Bay townhomes and apartments. You can expect to pay 500-600 for a one bedroom and around 800 for a town home. I feel like I am in a pretty good location for getting around the city.
I wouldn't mind living in CT to meet more students but the neighborhood crime and small apartments there bug me.

hello everybody!

~Ryan

Ar...I think if you are not going to live within walking distance to the school, you should probably get a car instead riding on the bus....

Sent in my $2000 yesterday~!
I am still in a state of disbelief~!! :confused:

does anybody know where i can find a recent match list for KCUMB on here?

Hi newbie KCUMBers!

Alum of KCUMB here, Class of 2006. Joined SDN pretty much specifically to do what you guys are doing now, network, ask questions, get things clarified, etc. It was 2002 when I joined, zoiks!

Anyway, KCUMB was good to me and they still are, I had to call there the other day for something and they were as friendly as ever.

Good luck!:luck:

Congrats to everyone in this thread!

Its great to see so much excitement about med-school and passion about starting at KCUMB.

I'll be seeing you all very soon when things get rolling this summer but I'll throw myself out there in the mean time in case anybody needs any help getting settled in KC. I've been living here since 2003 and have actually been on KCUMB's campus for the past two years doing research. I'll try to look back through this thread and answer any outstanding questions anybody has had.

The only one I noticed so far is:

ScFm546 said:
Quick question, with my family coming up for the white coat ceremony can anyone recommend a nearby hotel? I’m hoping for something that’s fairly close and not a total hole.

I don't want to recommend a specific hotel, but I'll point you to a couple locales that would be good. I definitely wouldn't stay right next to campus. Those hotels are definitely "total holes". I would instead find them a place either downtown or nearby the plaza. Downtown is great because the area is growing rapidly, especially with the addition of the new Sprint Arena and the adjacent "Power and Light District".

Here is a google link to some hotels in the downtown vicinity.

The plaza is great because it is a very large, upscale shopping and dining district.

Here is a google link to some hotels in the plaza vicinity.

Ar...I think if you are not going to live within walking distance to the school, you should probably get a car instead riding on the bus....

I couldn't agree more. If you don't want to get a car than live in CT (Century Towers). It's right across the street from KCUMB and there will be a ton of people in our class living there.

Conversely I wouldn't want to live there unless I didn't have a car. But that's just me.

I'm living in Mission (adjacent to Roeland Park, which has already been discussed). I love how centrally located it is in the city. It's 10 minutes from downtown, 12 minutes from campus, 12 minutes to the plaza, 10 minutes to Westport, and 10 minutes to overland park. There is a cluster of apartment complexes off of I-35 and Lamar which are reasonably priced and decently nice.