The Official KCUMB Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My wife is graduating from KCUMB this year. We have been able to stay in KC for all four years. I have been able to continue on in my career despite the rigors of her studies. We have lived the entire time in a great two bedroom townhouse in Kansas City, MO. It is north of the river near Liberty. We are moving for her residency, so we are selling it. It can be seen at http://www.marytwright.com/remaxmid...HEARTLANDMLS&proptype=&lwsaccountid=43179&saf= Please contact our realtor if you are interested. It is in a nice, safe neighborhood that is close to shopping. We even finished the basement and put in an additional full bath so her parents would have a place to stay when they would visit. It is perfect for a small family or a couple that is expecting.

We've just reduced our price to $124K. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on moving to KC in August. Anybody looking for roommate?

WOOHOO!!! I found out yesterday that I was accepted. :) Kansas City here I come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I am so excited about celebrating these August b-days and getting to meet everyone!!!

My mobile contract is finally up (Yes!!) and I have been searching for a good deal on PDA/Smartphones. If you are in the same boat, you may want to check out AACOM's wireless discount program: http://www.aacom.org/ABOUT/DISCOUNTS/Pages/WirelessProgram.aspx

I paid my acceptance fee and matriculation fee on Monday. I was wondering when I can expect to get more information from KCUMB such as immunization and orientation dates.

They will send you a matriculation packet. I believe this has the physical form and immunization forms that nned to be filled out. I just mailed mine yesterday. Orientation is the week of August 4th. I am now wondering when the financial aid packets will come out.

Have you all already completed a FAFSA?? or do we wait for info from financial aid office?? I have sent my immunization stuff back to KCUMB already--glad that is over! Needed many shots and titers!!

Congratulations to Class of 2012. I think you will enjoy your time at KCUMB. If any of you are interested in a home close to campus, please consider my home below. For 1st and 2nd years, it's within walking / biking distance to campus. For your 3rd and 4th years, it centrally located so you will always have a reverse commute.

For enjoyment, the condo is located in the Columbus Park neighborhood that is filled with parks and great restaurants (Garozzo's, Happy Gillis). The River Market and it's hip night life is only steps away also.

If interested, check out: www.507holmes.com.

Best of luck in your medical school career and beyond.

Ryan Palmer, Class of 2008

They will send you a matriculation packet. I believe this has the physical form and immunization forms that nned to be filled out. I just mailed mine yesterday. Orientation is the week of August 4th. I am now wondering when the financial aid packets will come out.

They're sending finaid info this month... be looking for it. :)

Have you all already completed a FAFSA?? or do we wait for info from financial aid office?? I have sent my immunization stuff back to KCUMB already--glad that is over! Needed many shots and titers!!

You should NOT wait on filling out the FASFA. Do it yesterday...

Thanks, I know I should get it done, it is the just doing it........

No seriously, I will get on it this weekend, before all the graduation celebrations start next weekend!

My last response to this was a little cryptic. I was speaking to the FinAid people about 2 weeks ago and they said they were sending out information in May. If you've accepted any scholarships or are enrolling in a program like having a hosptial pay for med school, you'll inform them of all the information then. What happens afterwards? I have no idea. I hope May is being kind to y'all so far. It's been absolutely beautiful here in south Texas... great golfing weather. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU Alex where in Texas are you from? I'm out in East Texas for school, but only for 8 more days. I'm from the Dallas area. It seems there are so many Texans in our class.

LSU Alex where in Texas are you from? I'm out in East Texas for school, but only for 8 more days. I'm from the Dallas area. It seems there are so many Texans in our class.

Nah... not a Texan. I'm from Louisiana (the Lake Charles area), but I've been working in Texas for about 4 years. I'm in San Antonio right now...

They're sending finaid info this month... be looking for it. :)

indeed.

i spoke with financial aid this afternoon. the packets went out this week. so, expect them probably early next week.

she said that there's a lot of paperwork to complete. a distraction from finals, i suppose.

oh joy.

I got mine this afternoon. A little work, but it's all good. Good luck on your finals!!!

Maybe I will get my matriculation packet along with financial aid this coming week. I paid my $2000 over the phone this past Monday. I sure hope I get something soon haha.

For those starting at KCUMB this fall and wanting to live at CEntury towers, I am wondering if someone is interested for a roommate. A two bedroom apartment is really cheap considering two people will divide the rent up. Please post if interested. thx.

Does anyone know if it would be helpful to have undergrad A&P books for med school? I assume we'll be buying a ton of more in depth books. I need to get rid of as many books as possible for moving purposes, but if it'd be good reference material and worth keeping then I guess I will... :p

How is everybody getting to KC?? I am pricing the move and it will be around $1000 at the very least!! I am coming from Texas. I guess I am in sticker shock as I have never moved this far before. :confused:

Graduation is in 4 days for me. WOOHOO!!!

I'm from Dallas, and I'm not looking forward to the move. My parents and I drove up there for the interview. It was an 8 hour drive :( My parents own a sign company and they have box trucks for the company, so I think we're just going to use a company box truck to me.

We're thinking about driving up there in June to find a place for me to live. We're thinking about buying a condo or townhome. Any suggestions?

WOOT ! I just got a house today. Its a steal too ! Made the "test drive" to KCUMB.... Took me 13 minutes. :thumbup:

So I am soooo frustrated right now...I was told over the phone that I was accepted into KCUMB on the 25th, but I just received a letter telling me I am wait listed!!! I am mad! I am calling first thing in the morning to see what's up...but I have already made plans to come there...turning in my 30 days notice to my landlord and finding a place to live in KC. I just can't believe that they would tell me I was accepted, and then change their minds.

Congrats to all incoming class of 2012. I am just finishing up my second year and will have a bunch of things to sell before I move at the end of July.

I have every required text (most of them still in perfect condition) and will be selling them at a reduced rate. I will also be selling my desk, 2 beds, couch, and chair. I also have a really nice OMT table with rolling stool for sale.

Send me an email [email protected] if you are interested or have any other questions about KCUMB and Kansas City.

well i called in this morning and was told there was a "mix-up" in the system where they put everyone that was waitlisted as accepted --- i don't know what to believe! now i have to wait to even see where i am on the waitlist ---their last interview is on May 22 and then after that they start ranking the list --- i thought i was through with stress :mad:

Sorry to hear about that DocMac, I can't imagine what a letdown that is. I just found out that I'm also on the waitlist. I hope I'm first on the list and you're second.

thanks thatguy...i hope that due to all of my sorrow and frustration they have caused me, I will be number 1 on the list (and you number 2 of course) :)

For those starting at KCUMB this fall and wanting to live at CEntury towers, I am wondering if someone is interested for a roommate. A two bedroom apartment is really cheap considering two people will divide the rent up. Please post if interested. thx.

I am looking for a roommate too. Have you applied for a 2 bedroom at CT already ? or you are just thinking about it ? When are you planning to move in ?

Hey All,
I'm totally new to internet postings and such so please forgive my ignorance. I was accepted for the fall 2008 and am trying to figure out the vaccination forms. My problem is with the Hep B. I have proof that my titers are positive, but I can't recall getting the actual vaccine. My peds health record doesn't have it, but I used to work in a hospital so I had to be cleared at that time...and the instructions KCUMB sent us said we need both the dates of the vaccinations and proof of the titer. Will they make me get the series again if my titer is positive but I can't produce the dates? And if the series takes 4-6 months, there's not enough time for me to get the entire thing again if they say I have to complete the entire thing before school starts. Can you enter if you've started the series and finish once we arrive? Help?:scared:

Does anyone know if it would be helpful to have undergrad A&P books for med school? I assume we'll be buying a ton of more in depth books. I need to get rid of as many books as possible for moving purposes, but if it'd be good reference material and worth keeping then I guess I will... :p

If you have Guyton Physiology, Abbas Basic Immunology, or Netters Anatomy I would keep those. Otherwise sell all your books and get some money. You really won't be using too many books in med school.

So I am soooo frustrated right now...I was told over the phone that I was accepted into KCUMB on the 25th, but I just received a letter telling me I am wait listed!!! I am mad! I am calling first thing in the morning to see what's up...but I have already made plans to come there...turning in my 30 days notice to my landlord and finding a place to live in KC. I just can't believe that they would tell me I was accepted, and then change their minds.

That sucks, but from what my friend told me, who got wait listed herself a year ago, is that the people on the wait list get in automatically for the following year. And if you're straight out of college, it's not a bad idea to take a year off, and party it up or be productive, whatever. That's what I did.

So you got it man, but you may have to wait a year.

For any of you guys that are going to be in the KC area this summer let me know. I'm will be here all summer doing research, so if you would like to meet some second years, there will be some around.

this is a ridiculous question, but i promised my wife i would ask you guys.

i'll start from the beginning...

my mother-in-law has been "investigating" KCUMB online ever since she found out i was accepted there. she was talking to my wife the other day, and said that she read on the KCUMB website that students must maintain a 3.5 GPA or they get kicked out. she hasn't been able to find this information again, but swears she read it.

now, i am certain that this is not the case, but like i said, i promised i would ask. could a current student refute this claim for me so that i can get my mother-in-law to calm the @#$% down.

thanks.

my mother-in-law has been "investigating" KCUMB online ever since she found out i was accepted there. she was talking to my wife the other day, and said that she read on the KCUMB website that students must maintain a 3.5 GPA or they get kicked out. she hasn't been able to find this information again, but swears she read it.

now, i am certain that this is not the case, but like i said, i promised i would ask. could a current student refute this claim for me so that i can get my mother-in-law to calm the @#$% down.

thanks.

At an information session I went to (post acceptance) A University Rep told us that students are " allowed" to fail 2 blocks but they must remediate in the summer to continue on, if you fail a 3rd block and do not have a significant reason (death in immediate family, cancer etc) than you will be dismissed from the University.

thanks diverdoc. i knew the <3.5 dismissal was ludicrous..

ok, three questions:

1) does anybody know the policy for deferring acceptance by one year? i know i found something about this on the website before, but i can't find it now.

2) i need some clarification on the hep B vaccination. the website says that the hep B vaccine is administered over 6 months and that we should start it in February in order to matriculate in August. as far as i know, i was vaccinated for my job in the surgery dept at the hospital. my shot record reads "hepatitis B -- immunity status: immune by lab work". clearly this is different from "immune by immunization".

this is probably more of a question for the school (or my doctor, for that matter), but i thought maybe someone on here would have some info. has anybody had issues with the hep B vaccination and matriculation? it just seems weird that not being on top of vaccinations in February (before most of us even knew we were accepted) would preclude matriculation in the fall.

i don't want to get all the way to August and realize i can't start school because of this.

3) anybody from oklahoma on this thread? i'm an OU grad. just checking to see if there's anybody else from my neck of the woods.

Have you guys found a place to live yet? I went to KC for a day to look for a place to live and I looked at 7 places before I gave up and called the relocation center to help me find an apartment. Just to save any one else some frustration don't bother looking at the apartments by the school; they're a dump. When I got fed up, the relocation center suggested Madison at Walnut Creek and I got a one bedroom w/ a carport for $560/ month. I read a few negatives reviews on apt. rating but I hope my experience turns out pretty good.

Hey, if anyone is going to be in KC this summer, I'd be happy to show you around. As you're probably well aware, KCUMB isn't exactly in the best part of town, so it might be tough to get your bearings or find the fun stuff to do. Just get in touch, and I'll help out.

So I just got a letter from the school last week saying that they have decided to put me on deferral for next year's class because they think that I can't afford medical school right now. I am so shocked that they would make such a decision without even asking me how am I planning to pay for school. And they know before I got accepted that I am not eligible for federal loan. I contacted the school through email explaining how I am gonna pay for school and the guy just wrote me back in one sentence saying the deferral will remain in place. I am very disappointed at how they handle this situation. I got all excited about going to medical school and paid the $2000 fees..don't understand how they can just jeopardize people's future like that.

Um... wow. That sounds incredibly f'ed up, for lack of a better term. I think this raises serious questions about how KCUMB does business.

So my wife and I are planning on buying a townhouse in KC and have been working with a couple realtors but they say my wife has to have a secured job in KC before they will even consider financing. Anyone have any luck with this? Also where is a good place we should look with families? I have looked around a little but not sure yet. Any help would be appreciated!

I am very disappointed at how they handle this situation.

Yes, me, too. :( I'm so sorry, Jellycheek. I knew KCUMB was all about the money, being primarily business-focused, but I didn't think they were this far gone. I feel sad about that. I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for you.

Um... wow. That sounds incredibly f'ed up, for lack of a better term. I think this raises serious questions about how KCUMB does business.

Yes, it is messed up, deadeyedk. However, while this incident is very sad and unfortunate, now you see, first hand, a little bit of what some of us have been talking about.

thanks.

Uh, yeah, that's definitely bunk. You don't need to maintain that kind of average. Each year, about half the class would be dismissed, if that were indeed the case. You just need to pass the sections. You can fail sections, tests, and practicals, but you have to remediate them. I looked up the dismissal policy. According to KCUMB policy, and I quote, "Failure of three sections during a single year of the curriculum (MSI) or failure of a total of four sections in the first two years' curriculum (MSI plus MSII)," or, "Failure of two sections and the cumulative Examination during a single year or failure of a combination of four sections and Cumulative Examinations in the first two years (MSI plus MSII)," or, "Failure to successfully remediate any failed section or Cumulative Examination (two total attempts allowed)," or "Failure of two clerkships," results in dismissal.

Hope that helps clarify things.

So my wife and I are planning on buying a townhouse in KC and have been working with a couple realtors but they say my wife has to have a secured job in KC before they will even consider financing. Anyone have any luck with this? Also where is a good place we should look with families? I have looked around a little but not sure yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Has your wife considered working for the school? It is my understanding that they may reduce your tuition if she is an employee. KCUMB jobs are listed at: http://www.kcumb.edu/hr/results_all.asp. I wanted to get on there when my wife started school but it was against policy to have a spouse work in the IT department. She should at least submit her resume. Another company with alot of jobs in the area is Cerner. Their world HQ is north of the river, about 5-10 minutes from KCUMB. I worked there for about a year until I found something more challenging, but it was a paycheck. It would be especially good if she were interested in Healthcare IT and didn't mind living in a cubical farm.

Just so you're not caught off guard, you will be "nickeled and dimed" for everything, on top of the tuition and fees you're going to pay.

Hey, I had the same problem with my wife when we were moving up here. A co-signer may help, im not sure about that though. If your looking for a townhome I am selling mine, about 15 minutes from school. If you are having an issue with financing I could work something out with you to pay rent until she has a job and can get financed, and then sell it to you. You can contact me if you like on my cell 251-689-7888 or email at [email protected] or [email protected]. Here is a link to the listing http://www.realtor.com/realestate/kansas+city-mo-64157-1099120728/

...you will be "nickeled and dimed" for everything, on top of the tuition and fees you're going to pay.

Yup. They do that in my experience. You will wonder what they are doing with all the tuition money you are giving them. I can remember only one time when the school put out and that was with the White Coating ceremony reception. After that, it was all down-hill.

I was wondering how long after the financial aid package was sent in that you received your award letter. Has anyone already received their award letter?

Has anyone on the waitlist for the 2008 class heard their number yet?