****The Official LECOM Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

How is LECOM with out of state applicants?:confused:

I've heard that it's difficult to be considered if you are out of state but I can't imagine residency being a huge factor since it is a private school.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you, but if you look at the LECOM facebook group, the majority of the people accepted are Florida residents. Hopefully they are reserving the rest of their seats for out-of-staters!

I agree with you, but if you look at the LECOM facebook group, the majority of the people accepted are Florida residents. Hopefully they are reserving the rest of their seats for out-of-staters!

I noticed that too so I hope your theory of reserving the rest for out of state is right!

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly hope they are reserving places for out of state applicants! I applied VERY late....heres to hoping. I am really excited about the amount of proposed clinical experience in this program. Having a clinical degree currently, i am well aware that clinical practice is where you learn to be a medical provider.

Not yet, but I just got my final letters of reference in on 2/3. I asked the college if I was SOL since it was after the 2/1 deadline, she said its ok, but my file wont be reviewed until the letters are received....so heres to hoping.

does anyone know if people are being pulled of the waiting /alternate list at LECOM yet?

Does anyone know if the website www.predents.com is accurate?? It lists stats on the number of applications to LECOM and the accepted students.....but the number of applicants seems too low to be accurate.

Does anyone know if the website www.predents.com is accurate?? It lists stats on the number of applications to LECOM and the accepted students.....but the number of applicants seems too low to be accurate.

lol. Of course its not accurate. First of all, predents is getting that number only from people who are on predents who applied to that school. Second of all, there are going to be something like 12-16 THOUSAND applicants to dental school this year. Common sense dictates the more than 177 applied to lecom.

LECOM had close to 2000 applicants this year FYI

well that sucks! I had hoped....albeit foolishly that as a new school LECOM would be a little less competitive...I am a firm believer that the school you attend makes little impact on the type of provider you become...assuming your a motivated learner that is...so I have/had no concerns about LECOM being new....I guess the other 2000 applicants didnt either.

LECOM had close to 2000 applicants this year FYI

That's actually lower than I thought lol. I expected it to be almost 3000 :D

And I agree churchman... the school one attends doesn't make you a good dentist. YOUUU (not you specifically, but everyone in general) yourself can only make that happen :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong. My interview was over a month ago, maybe she said over 2000 applicants, and up until January they gave out 550 interviews or something. Sorry if Im a little off.

well...I suppose if I dont get into dental school I could always go to medical school and become an ENT....then I could join the heated debate on the scope of practice of ENT vs OMFS....but...Id rather do the dental route.

I could be wrong. My interview was over a month ago, maybe she said over 2000 applicants, and up until January they gave out 550 interviews or something. Sorry if Im a little off.
How did your interview go? Offered a spot, waitlisted? I've heard that in these late interviews acceptances are fairly quick. I have a friend interviewing on the 15th of Feb.

So does anyone have anymore information about private loans? I still haven't paid my deposit yet because I don't like the idea of having to take out private loans. Variable interest rates for private loans are terrible and I don't think that they are a good option to consider. I really wish the school could get approved for federal loans.

My daughter was called to an interview for next week. She is flying from Vermont 8 hours, and turning around the next morning and flying back. She has to miss chem class on top of it. I sure hope it's worth the $1000, as she really wants to go.

They called her? Did they email her or send a letter....I worry because I leave my phone off most of the time...perhaps I will turn it on should I receive a call. Best of luck to your daughter!

So does anyone have anymore information about private loans? I still haven't paid my deposit yet because I don't like the idea of having to take out private loans. Variable interest rates for private loans are terrible and I don't think that they are a good option to consider. I really wish the school could get approved for federal loans.
Discover card is suppose to have a health professions loan at a fixed rate 6.75%. I think this was mentioned in one of the Lecom threads.

My daughter was called to an interview for next week. She is flying from Vermont 8 hours, and turning around the next morning and flying back. She has to miss chem class on top of it. I sure hope it's worth the $1000, as she really wants to go.
Sorry They did not call her they emailed. I worded it wrong. We are a wreck. Hopefully they are considering out of state, We are from Penna, and she goes to UVM. Any advise for the interview, and any insight as to how long a decision might be?

I was accepted recently, I'm from out of state. It's all about the interview, just be yourself and if they feel you meet their school you should have no problem getting in. :)

Nervousmom... I'm from Pa also, do you mind me asking your daughter stats. Mine are 19;20;21, sGpa 3.55, bcpGpa 3.65, overallGpa 3.53. Over 500+ shadowing hours, still no love from Lecom other than "your application will be re-reviewed within 60 days", followed by an e-mail stating a 90 day re-review

I interviewed last week, and the number is over 2400 applicants.

Discover card has a really competitive student loan. As long as you have decent credit or a consigner with decent credit the private loan issue shouldn't scare you. I'm honestly not 100% on my stats, but my gpa was around 3.6/3.7 for both and like 18/20/23 on my dat. Lots of shadow hours and community service. I think they are willing to give anyone a shot, you just have to really wow them at the interview as you are competing with 23 others at a time (4 groups of 6, you're together with everyone for the whole day apart from the interview). It will be a great school! :)

When will the last round of interview be? The ppl in the alternate list are gonna hear from Lecom at the end of Feb. Plz update us if you have any news. TKs

Does anyone mind sharing what their portal status was if you were accepted?

Was it blank or did you have the "The ad com has made a decision... letter within 30 days" ?

Thanks and good luck everyone!:thumbup:

general consensus: portal message--->waitlist/rejection

blank-->high priority wait list or acceptance followed by portal message

I'm a little confused on the 'blank' portal status because I haven't looked at mine in a while. For a long time it said "we will re-review your application in 60 days" or something to that extent and then I was offered an interview. During that time I didn't check my portal status, so now that it says "decision made... letter within 30 days"... is that inclination I"m a waitlist?

For those of you with blank portals-- was this still blank after you interviewed?

Thanks

@Teeths, did they mention how many seats are still available or what they're planning on doing with the alternate situation?

preDENT- I think it went really well. I'm worried that I'll be on the alternate list though because of my portal status. BUT I private messaged quite a few people and apparently not all who were accepted had a blank portal status. So there's still hope of an acceptance (& the acceptance call!)

Did you interview recently? How did yours go?

Little Buddy- I feel like they really tried to avoid saying even a ballpark of how many seats were available but they made it really clear that there are currently seats available and they are expecting many more to open at the end of Feb here. For the alternate list, they just mentioned that it's not ranked and they will be pulling from it. Other than that, not much was said. As you would expect, they were dancing around the topic a little bit, don't blame them, but it makes us all hopeful and anxious at the same time!

wasn't too bad. could've done better though

after looking at pre dents i honestly don't know what they're looking for.

i hope i get in though, this program looks really really promising. definitely has the potential to be a clinical powerhouse from all of the experience that the students would be getting

and with regards to the waitlist, there was conflicting info. one person said that there isn't a rank, but someone else said that there was a "high priority" waitlist, which applies to people who have a blank status on their portals after the interview

and they didn't really mention anything about sending out rejection letters...so is it safe to assume that they're employing some usc tactics here and waitlisting everyone who doesn't get an acceptance?

Last edited:
preDENT- I'm thinking the same thing when it comes to their 'no rejection letter' tactic. Although, if you look on predents, there are a few that are listed under rejections. I wonder if they aren't permanent residents though (bc lecom doesn't accept international) BUT their profiles show US states. I feel like it's really up in the air. I think more than anything they're looking for people who are willing to be a little adventurous when in reality there are a lot of unknowns about the school since it's just opening.

I agree with you on lecom becoming a clinical powerhouse. After learning more about the curriculum during the interview, it really blew me away and convinced me that it fits my learning style perfectly. My fingers are crossed! Good luck and let us know if you hear anything from them!

I agree about the potential to be a clinical powerhouse. That was the most appealing aspect of their program and not to mention the baller facilities. I like the idea of the PCC but at the same time we have the option to go find and schedule our own patients as well. I was also reading some local manatee bay articles on the web and everyone seems super excited about the school. There are a lot of programs gathering funding for the old demographic of patients. From what I saw, Bradenton was not a ghetto or a "poor" area so I think there will be more diversity in the patients and procedures. Also, the clinic will begin to treat patients in 2013 via faculty.

If I end reapplying, lecom will definitively be high on the list. The only thing that kinda scares me is there will be no upper upperclassman to help ease the transition or show us the ropes and I'm not sure how much guidance there is with PBL. I know nothing about dentistry but from what I understand the PBL is ONLY for the basic sciences and not the dental courses? I can learn about pathology and pharmacology from a book but I highly doubt I can learn the art of dentistry without someone teaching me...

I agree about the potential to be a clinical powerhouse. That was the most appealing aspect of their program and not to mention the baller facilities. I like the idea of the PCC but at the same time we have the option to go find and schedule our own patients as well. I was also reading some local manatee bay articles on the web and everyone seems super excited about the school. There are a lot of programs gathering funding for the old demographic of patients. From what I saw, Bradenton was not a ghetto or a "poor" area so I think there will be more diversity in the patients and procedures. Also, the clinic will begin to treat patients in 2013 via faculty.

If I end reapplying, lecom will definitively be high on the list. The only thing that kinda scares me is there will be no upper upperclassman to help ease the transition or show us the ropes and I'm not sure how much guidance there is with PBL. I know nothing about dentistry but from what I understand the PBL is ONLY for the basic sciences and not the dental courses? I can learn about pathology and pharmacology from a book but I highly doubt I can learn the art of dentistry without someone teaching me...

yeah, i would really consider LECOM to be high on my list as well. The facilities are going to be like 10x better than my state school's facilities. And to answer your question about PBL--it is only for the basic sciences--1st year is with med students, 2nd year is only with dental students.

how was your BU interview btw?

Last edited:
The program is PBL for the first 2 years. In the first year dental students together with medical students learn the basic sciences. In year 2, the schools completely separate and the PBL courses continue with a dental focus. There are lecture courses that focus on the dental specialties scheduled throughout the second year. This program is going to be awesome! Dental assisting in the first year, first set of dentures by second semester, more clinical hours by the end of year 3 than most get by the end of year 4.

About the wait list thing: from my understanding it IS NOT ranked. However, from what I gathered on interview day, those who show continued interest in LECOM following being wait listed (IE letter of intent, more shadow/volunteer hours, new grades, etc...) will receive special consideration. :)

Hope this helps!

BU was sweet! I was there a day early so I could explore a little bit. They are crazy drivers but I was really impressed with the city. I walked by the school the day before my interview while I was taking some pictures and was able to talk to a few students who were waiting for the bus. They gave me some genuine and unscripted answers to my questions. As for interview day, everyone was super nice and excited and I got the vibe that it was a very chill and relaxed environment. The interview started out chill (I see you're from Wisconsin blah blah blah) but then turned kinda serious when he asked about my lack of bio and what I would do if I don't get in this year lol. After I was finished, he kinda leaned back with a satisfied expression and said I was saying all the right things and then we talked about fishing, engines, and how dentist can hide in their office for 50 years and never poke their head out lol. It was interesting to hear him talk about dentists are usually the type of people who wait for things to happen and haven't really contributed to advancing medical sciences, even though dentistry and medicine are closer now than ever before due to the underlying science. At the end of the day it is a committee decision so who knows...

I feel like I could have done better but I was sooo tired by the time I had to interview since I couldn't really sleep the night before.

gahh i wanna call them so badly

i know i got waitlisted/rejected. from what i've read, i think i would've received a phone call by now if i had been accepted

gahh i wanna call them so badly

i know i got waitlisted/rejected. from what i've read, i think i would've received a phone call by now if i had been accepted
predent, when did you interview?

how long did it take for everyone to hear after their interviews?

Last edited: