****The Official LECOM Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

rolling admissions...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone else is concerned that as of right now LECOM is not accredited by Middle States which means that federal aid is not available. They are supposed to find out in March. Are most of you optimistic about this or are you planning on getting a private loan?

I'm just wondering what others are thinking about this because it is a major concern for me.

On a positive note, I really like LECOM, A lot of thought has been put into the plans for the school and the staff is really enthusiastic! I think it would be awesome to be in the inaugural class!

Yea I guess I would be concerned but it's not as if the federal loan is a much better deal. We would have to take out private loans anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I was recently accepted to LECOM (yaay!), but now that I have been officially accepted I am having some concerns:
A) I am most worried about the financing for this school. There is no option for Federal loans at the moment, and from what I have been told, it doesn't seem likely that that will become an option. This worries me for a few reasons.
1)First, and most obviously, it means having to get private loans which will probably be more difficult and expensive.
2)Why are they not able to get approval for federal loans? (I read that this is pending on approval by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), but Mr. Shrively didn't exactly instill any confidence that this was going to happen by the expected March date) What is the significance of what MSCHE is even approving? Could that affect how they view the validity of our degree?
3) If at some point in the future they are approved for federal loans, will it be likely that this inaugural class will at least partially benefit from that?

B) How set in stone are the tuition rates? They only show tuition rates for the first year, but what about years after that? Has anyone heard of scholarships for their dental students?

C) Has anyone heard how their construction is coming along? I tried to look at the live cam, but I couldn't bring it up on my screen....

how can federal loans not be available for a graduate school IN the U.S.? *scratches head*

i know people who go to St. George's School of Medicine that are receiving federal loans....

it definitely has to go through. i can't think of why it wouldn't...

B. given that it is a new school, i figure that they're still ironing out the details. most schools have the trend of ~the same tuition for the first 2 years, and the last 2 years with less tuition (4th year being the cheapest)

C. in order to view the construction site, you can only view it through internet explorer. they're definitely stepping that up..they went from laying the foundation down, to constructing that frame within a week's time. they'll definitely have it ready by july

Hello everyone,
I was recently accepted to LECOM (yaay!), but now that I have been officially accepted I am having some concerns:
A) I am most worried about the financing for this school. There is no option for Federal loans at the moment, and from what I have been told, it doesn't seem likely that that will become an option. This worries me for a few reasons.
1)First, and most obviously, it means having to get private loans which will probably be more difficult and expensive.
2)Why are they not able to get approval for federal loans? (I read that this is pending on approval by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), but Mr. Shrively didn't exactly instill any confidence that this was going to happen by the expected March date) What is the significance of what MSCHE is even approving? Could that affect how they view the validity of our degree?
3) If at some point in the future they are approved for federal loans, will it be likely that this inaugural class will at least partially benefit from that?

B) How set in stone are the tuition rates? They only show tuition rates for the first year, but what about years after that? Has anyone heard of scholarships for their dental students?

C) Has anyone heard how their construction is coming along? I tried to look at the live cam, but I couldn't bring it up on my screen....

I'm glad to see that someone else shares my concern.

I spoke to Mr. Shively and he told me that he is confident the MSCHE accreditation will come through, but he would be lying to me if he told me it was a sure thing. I see it as a plus that they are being upfront and not trying to hide anything.
Mr. Shively also said that we would be able to take advantage of federal loans the next year, if they don't receive the accreditation this year.

They do have scholarships, look on their website. I am planning on applying for them if I decide to go to LECOM.

I really like this school, the clinics are going to be awesome! If it wasn't for the MSCHE issue I would have no doubt about where I would attend.

I wouldn't worry too much about the construction, it will be another two years before it is even a concern. The basic structure of the building is almost done.

how can federal loans not be available for a graduate school IN the U.S.? *scratches head*

i know people who go to St. George's School of Medicine that are receiving federal loans....

it definitely has to go through. i can't think of why it wouldn't...

B. given that it is a new school, i figure that they're still ironing out the details. most schools have the trend of ~the same tuition for the first 2 years, and the last 2 years with less tuition (4th year being the cheapest)

C. in order to view the construction site, you can only view it through internet explorer. they're definitely stepping that up..they went from laying the foundation down, to constructing that frame within a week's time. they'll definitely have it ready by july

As much as I would like to remain optimistic about the whole thing; federal loans may not be available because it is a private school... There is a lot of uncertainty in our economy and government which is cause for worry when it comes to federal support.

With that being said I hope it comes through.

Loans aside, what does it mean if MSCHE accreditation doesn't come through?

I'm glad to see that someone else shares my concern.

I spoke to Mr. Shively and he told me that he is confident the MSCHE accreditation will come through, but he would be lying to me if he told me it was a sure thing. I see it as a plus that they are being upfront and not trying to hide anything.
Mr. Shively also said that we would be able to take advantage of federal loans the next year, if they don't receive the accreditation this year.

They do have scholarships, look on their website. I am planning on applying for them if I decide to go to LECOM.

I really like this school, the clinics are going to be awesome! If it wasn't for the MSCHE issue I would have no doubt about where I would attend.

I wouldn't worry too much about the construction, it will be another two years before it is even a concern. The basic structure of the building is almost done.

This is all probably true. Its just a big decision with a lot of unknowns. I dont want to put myself into a precarious position because I didnt do my homework and ask questions. Ya know!

Happy New Years to all!

Loans aside, what does it mean if MSCHE accreditation doesn't come through?

As far as I know.... nothing. It doesn't have anything to do with their ability to grant the DMD.

Hi Guys! I see that we will all be future classmates! I was accepted today and will most likely be accepting the offer!

Me too! I definitely want to stay in Florida :) Have you received an official letter in the mail by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys! I see that we will all be future classmates! I was accepted today and will most likely be accepting the offer!

Me too! I definitely want to stay in Florida :) Have you received an official letter in the mail by any chance?

I was accepted Jan 3rd too!! But I am having MAJORRRR concerns about how to pay for it! I called the fin. aid office and the lady wasn't very helpful. She said either "student self-pay" (<--yeah right) or "private loans."
Even getting a private loan these days is hard! I've been doing my research and few banks offer them now. The lowest variable interest rate is really nice, but it could increase to a rate that's almost 10%!!!! the fixed rates aren't that great :(
Does anyone know of ANY other means? Scholarships? Grants? Sponsorships? I signed up on countless scholarship sites when I was in high school and applied to millions of them but I never got any. I cringe at the thought of repeating that whole process over again, but I don't know what else to do! PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE HAS IDEAS!!??

If it makes you feel better Nikki, I was recently accepted to LECOM, and I am in the SAME boat as you! I too have a MAJOR concern about financial aid, especially if it has to be a private loan. Most lenders only give variable interest rates instead of fixed. Honestly, in my opinion, if there is a lender with a fixed rate, i'd look a little more into them. You could end up paying an arm and a leg with "variable" by the time you finish dental school. This is because what most lenders don't explain to individuals is that there is an interest rate "cap" that go as high as 25% (instead of the 4-10% average most post on their websites). The ones I called were 18, 21, 19, and 25% caps. I know this because I spoke with about 4-5 of them today :-/ Please don't get me wrong either, I'm thrilled to have this chance for LECOM, but its going to take awhile before I figure this whole thing out. :)

By the way, I've been reading all of these posts since December, and I can't wait to be able to meet all of you who will be my classmates! I'm soo excited!

Also, anyone have an update on whats going on with the approval of Federal Loans? Just thought I'd ask. I still don't understand why LECOM would accept students w/o securing these loans for us :-( idk...me just thinking out loud :p

I actually recieved my acceptance letter a couple days ago :) so they are definitely sending them for sure.

If it makes you feel better Nikki, I was recently accepted to LECOM, and I am in the SAME boat as you! I too have a MAJOR concern about financial aid, especially if it has to be a private loan. Most lenders only give variable interest rates instead of fixed. Honestly, in my opinion, if there is a lender with a fixed rate, i'd look a little more into them. You could end up paying an arm and a leg with "variable" by the time you finish dental school. This is because what most lenders don't explain to individuals is that there is an interest rate "cap" that go as high as 25% (instead of the 4-10% average most post on their websites). The ones I called were 18, 21, 19, and 25% caps. I know this because I spoke with about 4-5 of them today :-/ Please don't get me wrong either, I'm thrilled to have this chance for LECOM, but its going to take awhile before I figure this whole thing out. :)

By the way, I've been reading all of these posts since December, and I can't wait to be able to meet all of you who will be my classmates! I'm soo excited!

Also, anyone have an update on whats going on with the approval of Federal Loans? Just thought I'd ask. I still don't understand why LECOM would accept students w/o securing these loans for us :-( idk...me just thinking out loud :p
WOWWWW, I did not know about those caps!!! THAT'S RIDICULOUS! So a fixed rate is definitely the way to go then?? I just don't understand why they wouldn't be approved for federal loans in the first place because a loan is a LOAN. Someone out there will be making money off the interest we'll be paying back for years to come. So how could they not be approved? And I don't really understand what they mean when they say that they'll be finding out in January. Does that mean that they will find out for SURE whether they get federal funding in March and they're telling us to secure private loans just in case? The fixed rates I'm seeing around in the 7-8% range. I agree though, I'm THRILLED about LECOM because I genuinely want to go there, everything I've heard has made me fall in love with the school even more, but this financial situation is just ridiculous! It's a huuuge drawback :(

No I still haven't gotten anything...It might be because I am from out of state so it probably takes a little longer. But let me know if you got your letter already. I just have gotten a phone call and that's it.

No I still haven't gotten anything...It might be because I am from out of state so it probably takes a little longer. But let me know if you got your letter already. I just have gotten a phone call and that's it.
UPDATE: received a letter this morning :)

Hi everyone! I recently got a phone call from Mr. Shively for acceptance and received my acceptance package today! :)

Has anyone found any more info as far as loans go?
- Banks/loan programs you are strongly considering.

Here is the link to the loan info they give us on their website (I know its hard to find):
http://lecom.edu/pros_financialaid....ams-school-of-dental-medicine/76/0/1956/20456

Also, any word on tentative dates for orientation/classes beginning?

Congrats to everyone!!

Has anyone out of state received their packet in the mail yet? I still haven't received mine.

WOWWWW, I did not know about those caps!!! THAT'S RIDICULOUS! So a fixed rate is definitely the way to go then?? I just don't understand why they wouldn't be approved for federal loans in the first place because a loan is a LOAN. Someone out there will be making money off the interest we'll be paying back for years to come. So how could they not be approved? And I don't really understand what they mean when they say that they'll be finding out in January. Does that mean that they will find out for SURE whether they get federal funding in March and they're telling us to secure private loans just in case? The fixed rates I'm seeing around in the 7-8% range. I agree though, I'm THRILLED about LECOM because I genuinely want to go there, everything I've heard has made me fall in love with the school even more, but this financial situation is just ridiculous! It's a huuuge drawback :(

So curious, who said they would be finding out about the loans in January?? The financial aid office said they are confident about next year having federal loans, but had "indications" that it most likely wouldn't be for this coming year.

Also, I'm curious if this could work (Keep in mind I don't know too much about loans in general, still kinda new): say we all get private loans just in time for July coming around the corner and sometime after that, the dental school is approved for federal funding. Could we potentially apply for the federal loan in the middle of our first year still to pay off our original private loans so we don't continue to stack a bunch of interest with the bank? I don't know if LECOM has any control over it, but if they do, I believe we should be given some sort of leeway (sp?) being the first class and all lol.

BTW, I think being the first class of LECOM is amazing. We r gonna set the standard for the future students to come :p

First of all, congratulations on getting accepted to LECOM! I am a first year ISP right now, and am in need of a female roommate for next year! I live in a two bedroom, one and a half bath townhouse, with a basement (that is mostly for storage.) The rent is $350/month, plus utilities, I don't have cable now and am planning to not have cable next year. I have a 8 month old cocker spaniel puppy, so you must love dogs! I am looking for someone who keeps the common area clean (your room can be as messy as you want), and who is just easy going, and a serious student. (No crazy partiers!) Please email me with questions!
Elizabeth

First of all, congratulations on getting accepted to LECOM! I am a first year ISP right now, and am in need of a female roommate for next year! I live in a two bedroom, one and a half bath townhouse, with a basement (that is mostly for storage.) The rent is $350/month, plus utilities, I don't have cable now and am planning to not have cable next year. I have a 8 month old cocker spaniel puppy, so you must love dogs! I am looking for someone who keeps the common area clean (your room can be as messy as you want), and who is just easy going, and a serious student. (No crazy partiers!) Please email me with questions!
Elizabeth
[email protected], adding the email usually helps!

Elizabeth

.....You have a basement?....In Florida?!?

For those of you out-of-staters.....that pretty much doesn't exist! lol awesome. You should do something cool with it, not use it as storage! :D

Elizabeth

Congrats to you too! If you by any chance change your mind and don't care if a guy rooms with you, let me know! I will be looking for a roommate for next year! This also goes out to anyone else that sees this. Let me know if anyone is interested in rooming together and maybe we can work something out :) Btw, anyone here from Gainesville, Florida?

Anyone have any updates on loans yet? I heard Federal Subsidized loans are being eliminated next year and health professional students will only have unsubsidized and PLUS, etc. Kinda upset about that one, wish we could save it for another 4 years! Anyways, anyone with info hit me up!

Does anyone know how many seats are still avail?

What time did you get out of your lecom interview? It's starts around 7:30am right? Thank yoU!

Any of you already been accepted students care to help someone out? I was wondering if you had any information about how many students had paid their deposits to LECOM. Not just been accepted, but officially taken a seat out of the 100 they have to offer. If you have any information about how many students they've accepted, or are still accepting, etc. I would love to know!

Thanks!

Bump

Anyone have info on seats avail at lecom? Or when they're interviewing next? Please post

i was told that they're going to still be interviewing until march or so, and that the class isn't "full" until july 23rd, so they'll pull people from the alternate list at that point.

Has anyone had their folder updated with:
"your file will be re-reviewed by the admissions committee in 60 days"
??

Has anyone had their folder updated with:
"your file will be re-reviewed by the admissions committee in 60 days"
??

I received the same notification, 60 days on their portal site and 90 days in an email I was sent. I sent an email back asking to clarify this and they restated "This e-mail indicates that your file was reviewed and at this time a decision has not been made on an interview. Your file will be reviewed in 90 days. Thank you." Probably just a rejection! :(

Just received the follow-up e-mail as well regarding the re-review in 90 days. Its funny because when I initially called stephanie prior to applying, she said I had a good chance with my stats, then asks if i'd be available for an interview if they spontaneously called me...I dont get it. I understand that the whole admissions process is a business, but dont mislead applicants.

Those who got in...would you mind sharing your stats...i just want to see whr i stand....
Help would be highly appreciated..
Thanks

soooo has anyone looked into apartments, condos, places to live?

I got a call today... I am so happy... God is good!!!