You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*** The Official LECOM Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***
Started by Stanelz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anyone know if the grading system is P/F or letter grades? Thank you!
Stanelz put a little blurb about grading on the first post.Does anyone know if the grading system is P/F or letter grades? Thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is now letter gradedDoes anyone know if the grading system is P/F or letter grades? Thank you!
I wrote mine openly, but I would say that is a personal preference. Send it ASAP if you have already interviewed. I would also include some details about what you have done to improve your app (if you have completed any new courses, done any more volunteering, etc. since submitting your app). Let me know if you have more questions.Hi guys, can you tell me please, do you write the letter of intent to the (Dean of admission ), also what the best time to send it because I'm on waiting list, should I send it now or on April?
If y'all have any questions - feel free to ask here. I try to check daily. 🙂
If y'all have any questions - feel free to ask here. I try to check daily. 🙂
What’s been the year 1 total cost of attendance at LECOM? They mentioned it was around 97k, just wondering if you think that number is accurate or what a realistic one would be?
That is accurate.What’s been the year 1 total cost of attendance at LECOM? They mentioned it was around 97k, just wondering if you think that number is accurate or what a realistic one would be?
That is accurate.
Thanks for the reply! How much free time would you say you have so far D1 year? Usually how many hours of studying per day?
I heard the PBL curriculum allows for a good amount of free time.
Free time is plentiful. At the beginning, maybe not because you have to adjust to the volume of information being thrown at you. I would say on average - 3 hrs studying, but it's hard to estimate because there are some days that I don't do anything (the majority of the time) and others when I am busy all day (before exams/practicals).Thanks for the reply! How much free time would you say you have so far D1 year? Usually how many hours of studying per day?
I heard the PBL curriculum allows for a good amount of free time.
It's up to you. Just make sure your writing is professional.How did you guys format your letter of intent? Did you guys have a heading and end it with “Sincerely, (name)”?
Interview #5
School: LECOM
Notification date: 10/29/2019
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/20/2019
Application complete date: 10/22/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.47, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/20/24/None
School: LECOM
Notification date: 10/29/2019
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/20/2019
Application complete date: 10/22/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.47, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/20/24/None
Samyo
Full Member
Thank you so much for your help, I will do that !I wrote mine openly, but I would say that is a personal preference. Send it ASAP if you have already interviewed. I would also include some details about what you have done to improve your app (if you have completed any new courses, done any more volunteering, etc. since submitting your app). Let me know if you have more questions.
I'm sorry if this is a common question, I looked briefly and couldn't find an answer.
Is it advantageous to pick an earlier interview date if possible? Even if all of the available dates are after December 1?
First round of acceptances are made on December 1st (or whatever the date is chosen by ADEA)
Second round of acceptances are made on January 1st (or 30 days after the first round)
After that, admissions are rolling so earlier interviews theoretically mean a better chance at an offer being extended.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, can you tell me please, do you write the letter of intent to the (Dean of admission ), also what the best time to send it because I'm on waiting list, should I send it now or on April?
I think you might be posting in the wrong thread instead of the threads for the School of Medicine or Pharmacy? This is for the LECOM School of Dental Medicine, which does not say if you're on the wait/alternate list until after December 1st. Either way, I'd send in your letter of intent sooner but definitely do NOT wait until April as the class may be almost full by then.
Last edited:
What’s been the year 1 total cost of attendance at LECOM? They mentioned it was around 97k, just wondering if you think that number is accurate or what a realistic one would be?
97k (or whatever the number is listed on the matriculation packet sent with the admissions offer) is the maximum amount you're allowed to borrow for the academic school year. Most people max out the loans to receive the full 97k, others request to borrow less, some self-pay, and some have military scholarships.
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! How much free time would you say you have so far D1 year? Usually how many hours of studying per day?
I heard the PBL curriculum allows for a good amount of free time.
PBL only takes up 6 hours a week in the classroom (2 hours, 3x a week) but outside of the classroom your group assigns the chapters which can be 20-30 chapters per exam. So while you technically have a lot of free time (especially after the introductory courses in your first 2-3 months of D1 year), you are expected to be keeping up with the workload. I would highly suggest not waiting until 1-2 weeks before the PBL exam to start reading your chapters.
tl;dr you're always able to have a good balance between school and life
I was wondering if you could tell us the average monthly cost of a 1-bedroom apartment within 10 minutes of the school in a safe area?Free time is plentiful. At the beginning, maybe not because you have to adjust to the volume of information being thrown at you. I would say on average - 3 hrs studying, but it's hard to estimate because there are some days that I don't do anything (the majority of the time) and others when I am busy all day (before exams/practicals).
I was wondering if you could tell us the average monthly cost of a 1-bedroom apartment within 10 minutes of the school in a safe area?
Most people live in the 3 apartment complexes or townhouses within 1 mile of school. Prices for a 1/1 are roughly $1300+ before utilities. Some people live farther away (15-45 minutes) so their rent is cheaper. Once accepted, I'd recommend coming back to look at the overall Sarasota/Bradenton area to where you want to live.
Are there any good places near the school that are significantly cheaper than that?Most people live in the 3 apartment complexes or townhouses within 1 mile of school. Prices for a 1/1 are roughly $1300+ before utilities.
Are there any good places near the school that are significantly cheaper than that?
Not for a 1/1 that I've found. You might find a condo for rent near the UTC mall area for cheaper but it's a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.
PBL only takes up 6 hours a week in the classroom (2 hours, 3x a week) but outside of the classroom your group assigns the chapters which can be 20-30 chapters per exam. So while you technically have a lot of free time (especially after the introductory courses in your first 2-3 months of D1 year), you are expected to be keeping up with the workload. I would highly suggest not waiting until 1-2 weeks before the PBL exam to start reading your chapters.
tl;dr you're always able to have a good balance between school and life
How far apart/how frequent are exams?
Most people live in the 3 apartment complexes or townhouses within 1 mile of school. Prices for a 1/1 are roughly $1300+ before utilities. Some people live farther away (15-45 minutes) so their rent is cheaper. Once accepted, I'd recommend coming back to look at the overall Sarasota/Bradenton area to where you want to live.
That seems very high
How far apart/how frequent are exams?
PBL has 2-3 exams per semester so roughly every 5-6 weeks.
That seems very high
If it's too high, then you can always get a roommate or two or live farther away from school.
For reference I have 2 roommates and everyone has their own bathroom. I have the smallest room and I pay 500 in rent. We split utilities and internet which runs about 40/mo extra. Not bad at all. I’m less than 3 minutes from school.That seems very high
How were you guys able to find each other?For reference I have 2 roommates and everyone has their own bathroom. I have the smallest room and I pay 500 in rent. We split utilities and internet which runs about 40/mo extra. Not bad at all. I’m less than 3 minutes from school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How were you guys able to find each other?
Once you're accepted, the previous class's officers (C/O 2023) will create an "official" class group on Facebook for you to join. From there, people start posting "looking for 1 roommate to move into X apartment" or something like that. Some classes have created a spreadsheet with questions you fill out so you can find someone you'll "match" with.
There is also a roommate forum on the LECOM portal. You will have access to that upon receiving an acceptance. That's where I found mine.Once you're accepted, the previous class's officers (C/O 2023) will create an "official" class group on Facebook for you to join. From there, people start posting "looking for 1 roommate to move into X apartment" or something like that. Some classes have created a spreadsheet with questions you fill out so you can find someone you'll "match" with.
Samyo
Full Member
Thank you , my bad I thought this is for pharmacy school , I appreciate you advice !I think you might be posting in the wrong thread instead of the threads for the School of Medicine or Pharmacy? This is for the LECOM School of Dental Medicine, which does not say if you're on the wait/alternate list until after December 1st. Either way, I'd send in your letter of intent sooner but definitely do NOT wait until April as the class may be almost full by then.
I wouldn’t say so just yet. I had my supplementary in 7/11, it was processed 8/19, and I got the interview email 10/17. There were a few people posting on here who applied after me getting their supplemental processed and interviews before me. I think they’re just trying to get through the massive amount of applications they receive and aren’t necessarily going in order. I would hang tight.Seeing posts of interviews for applications submitted later than mine.(7/25 ADEA verified, 9/16 complete).
Is there any concern with this? I submitted my secondary 9/26.
Is it weird there are some with later submissions that have already heard back?
i haven't received a confirmation email either, but the portal says I am interviewing for that dayI have my interview next week, but didn't get a confirmation should I be worried?
No. That’s normal.I have my interview next week, but didn't get a confirmation should I be worried?
Yea that's my case!i haven't received a confirmation email either, but the portal says I am interviewing for that day
Perfect. Thank you so muchNo. That’s normal.
Hi everyone, just got my interview invitation at LECOM Bradenton today! I'm so excited, but the earliest date available for interview is February 6th, unfortunately. Did anyone get an interview invitation today with this being the earliest date? Also does that mean my chances are slim to none? considering I'm OOS.
No. Many in my class were accepted after Dec. also about half the class is OOS. Good luck!Hi everyone, just got my interview invitation at LECOM Bradenton today! I'm so excited, but the earliest date available for interview is February 6th, unfortunately. Did anyone get an interview invitation today with this being the earliest date? Also does that mean my chances are slim to none? considering I'm OOS.
Accept the earliest interview possible to increase your chances.Hi everyone, just got my interview invitation at LECOM Bradenton today! I'm so excited, but the earliest date available for interview is February 6th, unfortunately. Did anyone get an interview invitation today with this being the earliest date? Also does that mean my chances are slim to none? considering I'm OOS.
LECOM is a private school so IS/OOS doesn't really matter. My class is 50/50 too maybe even more so being OOS.
Last edited:
I interviewed earlier in the semester, and they mentioned that out of around 500 total interviews their class enrollment is a little over 100 (something around 114). I remember it being phrased it as about 1 out of 5 interviews get accepted, but wouldn't it be a higher chance than this because theoretically not every accepted student will enroll? Just curious as December is coming up.
I interviewed earlier in the semester, and they mentioned that out of around 500 total interviews their class enrollment is a little over 100 (something around 114). I remember it being phrased it as about 1 out of 5 interviews get accepted, but wouldn't it be a higher chance than this because theoretically not every accepted student will enroll? Just curious as December is coming up.
Yea, every dental school slightly over enroll (like undergraduates) because they know that not every accepted applicant will come.
The extent dental school does this varies from each school.
Our class size is 105 if that is helpful. Lots of post-December interviewees and acceptances, too! Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For current students, do you feel that LECOM prepares you well to apply to post-graduate programs? And, are there many opportunities to shadow specialists at school, or is that something you have to seek out yourself?
Thank you in advance!
Thank you in advance!
are there many opportunities to shadow specialists at school, or is that something you have to seek out yourself?
We don't have residencies at the school, but we do have specialists in the faculty. So, it's my understanding that once we get to clinic if we have an interest in any of the specialties (and we can show competency) we can handle those procedures under the supervision of that specialist as opposed to other schools that would send those cases to their residency programs. I hope that made sense and was somewhat helpful. I know it was a bit long-winded.
Yes, this is very helpful! Thank you so much!!We don't have residencies at the school, but we do have specialists in the faculty. So, it's my understanding that once we get to clinic if we have an interest in any of the specialties (and we can show competency) we can handle those procedures under the supervision of that specialist as opposed to other schools that would send those cases to their residency programs. I hope that made sense and was somewhat helpful. I know it was a bit long-winded.
Are there scholarships available/given out? Any given upon acceptance?
Are there scholarships available/given out? Any given upon acceptance?
Graduate schools are unfortunately "notorious" (for a lack of better words) for not having many scholarships available. Every few months, the school does send out an email with national/local scholarships we can apply for. In fact, we received an email this morning for a Manatee/Sarasota county scholarship.
As far as I know, LECOM only offers 2 scholarships: LECOM Academic Scholarship and the Exceptional Financial Need Scholarship. Once you matriculate, they inform you about the LECOM scholarships in the fall, you apply, and they are awarded in the spring as a part of disbursement.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 10K
- Replies
- 65
- Views
- 20K