The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

We are still almost 3 months away. As long as you start relatively soon, I don't think you'll be far behind. Some people work at different paces, and there are people who are very successful only prepping 1-2 months.

We are still almost 3 months away. As long as you start relatively soon, I don't think you'll be far behind. Some people work at different paces, and there are people who are very successful only prepping 1-2 months.
Haha doubt I will be one of those geniuses but I wish! But thanks, I just need to plan my time around all these classes and work, I hope it will be enough :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the May exam also, besides the $150 bribe from AAMC, I see no sense in taking the April exam. We literally get our scores two weeks after them. With the May exam, I have a full month after leaving school to prepare full time.
As for my plan of study. I found this really cool website www.leah4sci.com She had an informational last sunday which I attended, there she gave us an idea on how to make up our study schedule which I've been going back and forth on since December. She advised that since the average successful old MCAT taker studied ~300hrs for the test, new exam takers should be aiming for 500 hrs. That sounds scary, I know, I'm in school full time and currently working on a research project in the lab also, but I have no choice but to work my butt off at this point. I like many also have to learn Psychology/sociology individually, I didn't take these classes seriously when I took them.

Here is how I made my schedule. I have a total of 46 hours per week when I'm not in the lab, in class, eating, or transporting. I set outside 16 hours for my school work (my classes are not that intense, plus I can do homework during down time in the lab)
With 30 hours left, I have study blocks each day (avg. 4 hours per week day, 8 each day on the weekend). My study block lasts 3 hours each. I pretty much rotate all subjects each day; biochem on monday, genchem on Tuesday, orgo on Wednesday etc. Practice test definitely on Sundays.
I plan to take one practice test each week until test date. With about 12 weeks left, I have a total of 12 tests to take. I purchased 10 full lengths from Princeton review for $199, the AAMC practice test, and 3 Kaplan full length that came with my books.
For actual study materials, I purchased the 120 questions per section from AAMC for $72 and I have the Kaplan 7 book set.
On weekdays, I start off watching Khan academy videos, writing down whatever I feel is important (I'm a mechanical learner), then I read through my Kaplan book chapter with that topic (interestingly so far I've found that the Khan academy videos have the same outline as my Kaplan book), then I answer the concept check questions and questions at the end of the chapter of the book (I accept my score when it's above 13/15).
On Saturday, I do practice questions from Khan academy and AAMC 120 questions.
On Sunday, I take my full length test and review both the questions I got wrong and right. I log in all the concepts I need to work on.

As soon as I get off school May 2nd I plan to pull at least 8 hours study sessions everyday.
My target score is 515/520. I'm not taking the test in May unless I get at least a 520 on one of my practice test. NO need to waste my $300

@Neighborr Well I finished 2 EK books from the new set (Biochem and Psych/Sociology Books). I've already finished biochem kaplan book and I'm almost done with the Behavioral book. Working on Biology now. And Ive been doing verbal as well.

I try to study at least 3 hours a day, at most 8 hours. Most days I find myself studying more than 3 and less than 8 tho lol

Anyone using TBR Biology for Biochem? Trying to decide if using Kaplan Biochem would be better.

I've never taken Biochemistry.

Just perfect, I'm trying to register now and it's not even giving me any option for test centers in the United States for May 22nd or June exams, seems like I will be going to Japan to take my test :)

Reactions: 1 user
@Neighborr Well I finished 2 EK books from the new set (Biochem and Psych/Sociology Books). I've already finished biochem kaplan book and I'm almost done with the Behavioral book. Working on Biology now. And Ive been doing verbal as well.

I try to study at least 3 hours a day, at most 8 hours. Most days I find myself studying more than 3 and less than 8 tho lol
I loved the ek biochem book. Hands down best. I'll be trucking through tpr for everything else though. Have you done any exams?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I loved the ek biochem book. Hands down best. I'll be trucking through tpr for everything else though. Have you done any exams?

Yes I've done the 30 min mini exams at the end of the chapters. I like them a lot.
Don't know how they compare to the AAMC practice test but I guess I'll be finding out soon.

How do you like the exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone take the Next Step free half-diagnostic?

I got a 492 when I started studying, pretty scary!!

I'm interested in taking it. Do you feel like it was AAMC esque?

Uhm, I'm not sure, I haven't taken any AAMC 2015 practice tests, but it was very biochem biomolecules heavy. I aced the CARS/Psych, but did poorly in PS/BS.

What are you guys planning on doing for practice passages after/during content review? I've been content reviewing using Kaplan's new books, but they only have 15 practice questions after each chapter. I've taken the old SA's so I probably won't be buying the Question Packs since they seem like the old SA's.

I work 40 hr/wks, but do have some downtime here and there. Do you think I should break down a FL and use that as practice?

I also have TBR books but I've taken some of the practice passages in those. I've read that the TBR passages aren't like the new MCAT's passages though.

Just a heads up for everyone in this thread:

Score reporting will now look like this -

BB/CARS/CP/PSBB

BB = Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
CARS = Critical Analysis and Reading Skills
CP = Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems
PSBB = Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior

That's how TPR is abbreviating in their books so I thought I would share here.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Reactions: 1 users
@StarFall
I'm using TBR for practice passages and Khan Academy.
@mcatjelly created a thread wit Kaplan chapters and the associated TBR practice passages.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-mcat-2015-study-schedule.1122820/#post-16244896

Hope this helps.
Don't forget to take advantage of Khan Academy Passages as well, they're really good

Speaking of passages. Maybe you guys can take a look at this link

http://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/2sbkb5/brief_guide_to_addedremoved_content_on_the/

I've been using it as a guideline for those who are using old materials. Do you think this is up to date? I ran it through with the official guide and everything seemed relatively spot on. I would like hear others' input.

Speaking of passages. Maybe you guys can take a look at this link

http://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/2sbkb5/brief_guide_to_addedremoved_content_on_the/

I've been using it as a guideline for those who are using old materials. Do you think this is up to date? I ran it through with the official guide and everything seemed relatively spot on. I would like hear others' input.

Yea I'd say it's up to date. They basically condensed the AAMC guide, which is a good thing but I'd still read the guide because it gives specifics.

What are you guys planning on doing for practice passages after/during content review? I've been content reviewing using Kaplan's new books, but they only have 15 practice questions after each chapter. I've taken the old SA's so I probably won't be buying the Question Packs since they seem like the old SA's.

I work 40 hr/wks, but do have some downtime here and there. Do you think I should break down a FL and use that as practice?

I also have TBR books but I've taken some of the practice passages in those. I've read that the TBR passages aren't like the new MCAT's passages though.

Well of course TBR passages won't be terribly representative as they're specific to a topic/chapter of material, but this is the situation for most any content review.
During content review I'm using BR and the limited questions in the new TPR books (biochem, psych/soc). After/a bit later during review I'll use the aamc question pack, FL, and TPR FL. Also going to use khan academy in areas I'm a bit weaker in.

You're correct in that the question pack is reused material from old SA. They are passages picked as "representative of the new exam".

Therefore it makes sense old passages in BR that prepared us for SA will prepare us for the new passages too, yes?

Just a heads up for everyone in this thread:

Score reporting will now look like this -

BB/CARS/CP/PSBB

BB = Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
CARS = Critical Analysis and Reading Skills
CP = Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems
PSBB = Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior

That's how TPR is abbreviating in their books so I thought I would share here.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

I'm sorry but...ew (to the designation, not to the poster).

BIO/READING/PHYS-CHEM/BEHAVIOR

There's my designation. :laugh:

Also: I. Really. Despise. Content. Review

I'm using Kaplan and I think if I really wanted to I could finish it all this month (if I do 2-3 chapters per day). But especially for chem and physics it takes me forever to do the review questions at the end (ok, not forever, but way longer than all the other sections so far). I'm learning the material but I don't want to have to go through it again the second time round when I get deeper into passage and question prep.

Any suggestions as to making content review more "bearable," or at least in a way that's less one-sided so I get more actual practice in?

Sitting for a practice exam tomorrow morning...should be FUN! :clap: (no, seriously, I want to see how I do for a whole run)

Hey gang! First post on the thread. Currently using the new EK manuals and they've been great so far. About half way done with the whole set. I figure i'll finish going through them and then start doing practice tests until I puke...Anyone have practice test recommendations? Obviously the aamc test...but other than that?

Hey gang! First post on the thread. Currently using the new EK manuals and they've been great so far. About half way done with the whole set. I figure i'll finish going through them and then start doing practice tests until I puke...Anyone have practice test recommendations? Obviously the aamc test...but other than that?
I like ek for biochem and used tpr for psych and soc. So I'm just reviewing notes now. Honestly, my plan is to use tpr exams, Kaplan, and hopefully tbr comes out soon. I'll most likely take an exam every Friday and review on the weekend because I work.

Next step, gold standard will also be providing FLs but I don't really know too much about them. Aside from that I don't think I'll be able to complete the 20+ exams I would be using if I bought all the test prep companies' FLs but idk.

I'm 33% of my way through content review. Plan to finish early/mid April then start one FL per week along with Khan Academy and AAMC questions only.

I registered not too long ago and will be taking mine in the Toronto area. Taking a long road trip, but it will be fun (I'm going to stay a few days afterwards).

Has anyone had any experience with taking the MCAT in Canada? I'm a US resident but looking into things it didn't appear to matter where you take the test as far as score reporting goes.

I'm going to Toronto too. No idea what to expect.

I live in France.

Anyhow, question relating to organic chemistry -

I'm using an old BR set. Chapter 4 is about hydrocarbons, including radical reactions, elimination reactions, etc. Pretty standard ochem material

However, the only topic from this chapter I can find in the guide is about terpenes/terpenoids and it's a single bullet point.

So skip the rest, right? It just feels weird.

I'm going to Toronto too. No idea what to expect.

I live in France.

Anyhow, question relating to organic chemistry -

I'm using an old BR set. Chapter 4 is about hydrocarbons, including radical reactions, elimination reactions, etc. Pretty standard ochem material

However, the only topic from this chapter I can find in the guide is about terpenes/terpenoids and it's a single bullet point.

So skip the rest, right? It just feels weird.

They administer MCAT outside of North America, including in France.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/register/418072/2015-mcat-international-calendar.html

And that's right, skip topics from old prep books if they are not on the new MCAT.

They administer MCAT outside of North America, including in France.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/register/418072/2015-mcat-international-calendar.html

And that's right, skip topics from old prep books if they are not on the new MCAT.

Thanks for the reply! Old materials have seemed quite sufficient for bio and gen chem, but for ochem and physics it's a bit more tricky. More of a matter of what not to cover than what I'm missing.

Yeah, I'm aware they offer the MCAT in France. I'll be in Michigan during May though, so Toronto isn't too bad :)

Thanks for the reply! Old materials have seemed quite sufficient for bio and gen chem, but for ochem and physics it's a bit more tricky. More of a matter of what not to cover than what I'm missing.

Yeah, I'm aware they offer the MCAT in France. I'll be in Michigan during May though, so Toronto isn't too bad :)

Driving from Chicago area to Canada for the exam as well! First time to Canada so that'll be neat :)

I'm registered for the MCAT in May and so far I've been focusing solely on the ExamKracker books; I know AAMC only has one practice test up for purchase so for those of you planning on taking a practice test each week on a Sunday or something, where are you getting a hold of practice tests?

I'm registered for the MCAT in May and so far I've been focusing solely on the ExamKracker books; I know AAMC only has one practice test up for purchase so for those of you planning on taking a practice test each week on a Sunday or something, where are you getting a hold of practice tests?

Don't be lazy and read around the forum.

You can get 3 FL with a full set of Kaplan books. You can get another FL by buying their 528 book.
You get 3 FL by buying any of TPR content review books. I believe you can get 2 more FL if you buy their book with all subjects it it.
You can also purchase Next Step's 5 FL.
Overall, and I might be missing something, you can get a hold of 1 AAMC + 4 KTP + 5 TPR, + 5 NS = 15 FL.

Reactions: 1 users
Status update: grinding through these Kaplan books (hate physics). The MCAT seems like an impossible mission
State of mind: "i want to go to med school" *mcat says*: NAY NAY!!!

Which book are you guys using for psyc/soc? I'm trying to decide btwn. TPR and Kaplan and I can't figure out which version is better…I'm using TPR for the other subject areas and Kaplan for Biochem. Just don't know what to get for psych/soc….any input is greatly appreciated!

Which book are you guys using fo for r psyc/soc? I'm trying to decide btwn. TPR and Kaplan and I can't figure out which version is better…I'm using TPR for the other subject areas and Kaplan for Biochem. Just don't know what to get for psych/soc….any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm using TPR for psych/soc. I like it. I did minor in psychology though, so I'm fairly confident in this section. I haven't ordered the online content yet, so I'm not sure how great it is.

hey guys, i have an arts background and i took the mcat in january and got the worst possible score imaginable; i only registered one month prior to the date and didn't put in too much studying hours. how should I approach the mcat in May, im already registered, any ideas if i should get a tutor? someone/people to study with? i have a hard time motivating myself to study for the MCAT considering all this new science information just makes me scared, and discouraged. hoping to get some feedback on this.

by the way i have only purchased ExamKrackers-new edition, do you think studying solely from EK and doing passages found in TBR would be enough along with the full length tests? should i buy the Kaplan new edition set as well?

Wow, I FINALLY got a seat for the May 22nd MCAT. So relieved. I was scheduled for the June administration and got extremely lucky.

Although, now I'm suddenly worried...as there are exactly 10 weeks left before the test, and I have yet to start studying. I'm a part time grad student, so after my exam this Thursday, I should be able to kick it into high gear at around 25-30 hours per week.

Do you guys think this is enough time, or did I make a mistake switching to the 5/22 date?

by the way i have only purchased ExamKrackers-new edition, do you think studying solely from EK and doing passages found in TBR would be enough along with the full length tests? should i buy the Kaplan new edition set as well?

Have you began studying again? When you say arts background, have you taken med school pre reqs/recommended courses? It's difficult to relearn/prepare for this exam in a couple of months, but starting with next to nothing and still preforming well given that amount of time seems...improbable.

I can't speak for the quality of those products, but more seems better if you need a lot of content review (or content learning).

Wow, I FINALLY got a seat for the May 22nd MCAT. So relieved. I was scheduled for the June administration and got extremely lucky.

Although, now I'm suddenly worried...as there are exactly 10 weeks left before the test, and I have yet to start studying. I'm a part time grad student, so after my exam this Thursday, I should be able to kick it into high gear at around 25-30 hours per week.

Do you guys think this is enough time, or did I make a mistake switching to the 5/22 date?

Grad student in what? Asking mostly because I think 10 weeks could definitely be enough if you're actively using the sciences needed for the exam. You know yourself better than anyone here, but 25-30 hours per week for 10 weeks seems fully reasonable to preform well.

I think you have enough time. If you're relieved to switch to May, it sounds like you made the right decision.

I'm using TPR for psych/soc. I like it. I did minor in psychology though, so I'm fairly confident in this section. I haven't ordered the online content yet, so I'm not sure how great it is.

Thanks for your input! I haven't taken Psych/Soc. in forever, so I really am re-learning the material…do you think reading TPR still has sufficient detail to prepare me for the MCAT? Like does it cover all the topics with clarity or would I need to read a textbook to prepare? I'm planning on using Khan Academy too...

Have you began studying again? When you say arts background, have you taken med school pre reqs/recommended courses? It's difficult to relearn/prepare for this exam in a couple of months, but starting with next to nothing and still preforming well given that amount of time seems...improbable.

I can't speak for the quality of those products, but more seems better if you need a lot of content review (or content learning).

Thanks for the reply! And yes I have started studying and I'm putting in at least three hours everyday. No, I haven't taken any pre-reqs or recommended courses. I know I'm at a bit of a disadvantage but do you think if I put in more hours of studying everyday, that I would be able to pull this off....

Thanks for the reply! And yes I have started studying and I'm putting in at least three hours everyday. No, I haven't taken any pre-reqs or recommended courses. I know I'm at a bit of a disadvantage but do you think if I put in more hours of studying everyday, that I would be able to pull this off....

Taking prerequisites is interchangeable with studying for MCAT. You have to take the prerequisites before taking MCAT, before applying to med school.

Taking prerequisites is interchangeable with studying for MCAT. You have to take the prerequisites before taking MCAT, before applying to med school.

I'm applying to Australia's graduate entry programs and they don't require you to have taken pre-reqs, having a degree with a GPA of 2.8 or above is good enough for them.

But yes I agree with you, having taken prereqs would make the process way easier; but I aim to use simply the EK books and TBR for content review, hopefully that's enough.

I'm applying to Australia's graduate entry programs and they don't require you to have taken pre-reqs, having a degree with a GPA of 2.8 or above is good enough for them.

Why does an Australian school want you to take MCAT?
Where do you want to practice in the end?
I did a little bit of reading on Australian medical education, and you should look into the fact that they require foreign students to do something like 10 years of practice in a rural area before they let you practice in a suburban/urban area. Auatralian medical schools have long been educating way more students that their country needs. Also, how do you plan on paying for Australian med school?

I recommend that you start a new thread on pre-med forum as not to hijack this MCAT thread.

Thanks for your input! I haven't taken Psych/Soc. in forever, so I really am re-learning the material…do you think reading TPR still has sufficient detail to prepare me for the MCAT? Like does it cover all the topics with clarity or would I need to read a textbook to prepare? I'm planning on using Khan Academy too...
I find it has a good amount of detail for the content. I skip over some of it as it's quite dense in sections. I think TPR + Khan should be plenty. The only supplement I'm using is for the biological portion of the section, as it overlaps with the other sections and will surely appear in some shape.

I can't say whether or not you'll do well on the MCAT, but 3 hours per day with no prereqs doesn't instill confidence

I also have no idea about this Australian school thing

Has anyone purchased the NextStep CARS workbook? I was working on it the other day. I don't know if i'm too big of a fan.

Has anyone purchased the NextStep CARS workbook? I was working on it the other day. I don't know if i'm too big of a fan.
How many passages are in there? I have the Kaplan CARS and was wondering if I should get NS CARS for any practice passages..
What makes you not a fan of NS CARS?

I'm thinking of purchasing the 1001 EK Verbal Reasoning book to practice for CARS, would this be a good way to go and would it be effective? i only have the EK CARS book that came with the set but I'm thinking of purchasing the NS CARS as well.