*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Took AAMC FL1 last Wednesday and got a 513 with a 129/126/129/129. Took AAMC FL2 today and got a 515 with a 129/130/130/126 breakdown. Pretty happy I got the CARS up 4 points in less than a week. I tried a new strategy that worked pretty well. But I am worried about the inconsistency in Psych/Soc (but I was feeling pretty out of it on that section today). But on the bright side this superscores to a 518. I test on 1/25 so I am feeling somewhat encouraged.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a 509 (128/126/128/127) on FL2 after getting a 506 on FL1 2 days ago. Trying to get to like 512, but would be happy with anything above a 510, so im pretty nervous. Gonna finish (do) the section banks over the next two days as well as read the KA P/S notes and Kaplan Quicksheets and then take FL3 on the 18th, 2 days before my test. Hopefully my score is >510 on that so I can go into this thing with some confidence.

@smileyfacegirl27 Which question pack and what numbers are those CARS repeats on? I want to avoid doing those before taking FL3!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a 509 (128/126/128/127) on FL2 after getting a 506 on FL1 2 days ago. Trying to get to like 512, but would be happy with anything above a 510, so im pretty nervous. Gonna finish (do) the section banks over the next two days as well as read the KA P/S notes and Kaplan Quicksheets and then take FL3 on the 18th, 2 days before my test. Hopefully my score is >510 on that so I can go into this thing with some confidence.

@smileyfacegirl27 Which question pack and what numbers are those CARS repeats on? I want to avoid doing those before taking FL3!

I did FL3 a few weeks ago and since then I've finished CARS pack 1 and the first quarter of CARS pack 2 and I haven't noticed any repeats yet, so I'm guessing they're in pack 2. Congrats on the score improvement!

Just out of curiosity how much do you all think the section banks helped you? I still have about 2/3 to do on all three with 5 days to test day. Definitely feel like I should do it just cause its like a cardinal sin to take the mcat without those lol according to here and reddit.

Just wondering if anyone wants to hype up the section banks and tell me how specifically they helped raise your score. I need a couple points improvement if you read my last post

I got a 131 on CARS on FL3, I haven't done either qpack. My P/S and B/B score were like 128 I think, should I focus on P/S and B/B and not do the qpacks like I planned? Or try to do all 3 but each moderately?

Just out of curiosity how much do you all think the section banks helped you? I still have about 2/3 to do on all three with 5 days to test day. Definitely feel like I should do it just cause its like a cardinal sin to take the mcat without those lol according to here and reddit.

Just wondering if anyone wants to hype up the section banks and tell me how specifically they helped raise your score. I need a couple points improvement if you read my last post

I haven't taken another FL yet since doing them but I feel like they're really helping me. I'll let you know for sure on Wednesday haha in the meantime just keep grinding!

I got a 131 on CARS on FL3, I haven't done either qpack. My P/S and B/B score were like 128 I think, should I focus on P/S and B/B and not do the qpacks like I planned? Or try to do all 3 but each moderately?

Wow that's a nice CARS score. If I were you I'd keep doing like two or three CARS passages a day but really focus on your weak spots and not worry about finishing the CARS qpacks if you don't have time, clearly you have a good approach down lol

1. When reading the passage, summarize each paragraph with just one sentence in your head. Keep it short and sweet, no matter how complex the paragraph is or what the author is throwing at you. I think this is the #1 tip and will get you most of the questions.

2. When practicing, articulate a reason for why each answer choice is right/wrong, especially for answers you get wrong, guessed on, or are 50/50 on. This is the only way to train your CARS skills. See the 7Sage Blind Review method on YouTube for more detail.

3. ALWAYS choose the answer choice that is DIRECTLY supported by the passage. No matter how fancy or appealing an answer may sound, DON'T choose it unless you can defend the answer using a specific sentence/paragraph/example from the passage. Never use your own reasoning or justification. The simpler answer that is directly supported by the passage is always right over the flashier answer that sounds right.

4. When it comes to those 50/50 questions, think really hard about them but then let it go. Let go of all the thoughts, connections, intuitions, etc you've just made and look at the question again with "fresh eyes", as if it's your first time reading the question. Then choose whatever your gut tells you. Sometimes you might even get the "aha" or "duh" answer. DON'T overthink it. This works great when coming back to flagged questions. I think this works because it's easy to get tangled up in our thought processes, and sometimes those thought processes can go astray or lead to overthinking, or if you think too hard you'll be able to justify all four answer choices. Letting go for a second can clear your mind and give you the fresh clarity you need.

@LebronManning I followed this advice. I practiced it on a few passages, then tried it on the full length and it worked really well. When I convinced myself I was interested in the topics I did a lot better at staying focused on the boring ol' CARS passages. This helped me fully digest everything in the passage and save time by never re-reading anything twice. Also, this is a personal thing, but I jot down a one sentence summary of each paragraph of the passage, and at the end, note the overall goal of the passage (as Kaplan has you do). I hope this helps you.

I haven't taken another FL yet since doing them but I feel like they're really helping me. I'll let you know for sure on Wednesday haha in the meantime just keep grinding!

Wow that's a nice CARS score. If I were you I'd keep doing like two or three CARS passages a day but really focus on your weak spots and not worry about finishing the CARS qpacks if you don't have time, clearly you have a good approach down lol

I just didn't know if they were like supremely helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering taking FL 3 the day before mcat instead of 2 days before. This way itll give me 3 days between now and then to get all my **** straight and finish SBs and then I can get an accurate portrayal.

Not worried about confidence, more about fatigue. Is this a ****ty idea or is fatigue on test day a little overrated? I mean think about all that adrenaline and yerkes dodson lol..

Considering taking FL 3 the day before mcat instead of 2 days before. This way itll give me 3 days between now and then to get all my **** straight and finish SBs and then I can get an accurate portrayal.

Not worried about confidence, more about fatigue. Is this a ****ty idea or is fatigue on test day a little overrated? I mean think about all that adrenaline and yerkes dodson lol..

It's really up to you and what you think you can handle. I know I feel pretty wiped out after a FL but if you think it won't tire you out, go for it lol

What would be the benefit of taking a FL the day before the exam? You are not going to be able to review it properly in time. If you get a fluke you risk shooting your confidence with no time to correct.
If I were you I would make sure to finish the SB, take the FL3 2 days prior, review the next day. OR break FL3 up into 4 days, take one section each day. While the sum of the scores wont be as predictive, you will still be able to see where you stand on each section and have time to review them.

I personally think fatigue on exam day can be and should be avoided. You don't train for a marathon and show up with sore cramping quads!

RT^^^^^^^^^^^

The one about Winogrand and color photography were the ones repeated from the CARS QPack (not sure if it's one or two), it discusses like if they should print the color photographs/why did he stop shooting in color, as well as the passage about Fairtrade coffee which I know I've seen before but I'm not sure where from. There was also one free standing question in the BSC Section that was copied verbatim from the Bio QPack or possibly the Official Questions Guide? I'm not for sure, but I might remember where that's from (although already knowing it won't give you much of a score increase anyhow) when I review FL 3 today!

Last edited:

So for reference, I did FL 1, then I did Q Packs and SB, then I did a NS FL and FL 2. After FL 2, I did the AAMC unscored, re-did 2 of the SB's, and then did FL3. I'm including FL's that I took way before even starting AAMC material, all in the order I took things. My scores are:

Kaplan FL 1: 501 (125/125/126/125)
TPR FL #1: 504 (125/127/125/127)
AAMC Official Questions Guide: 508 (67/75/80/93) - these are percentiles and the score is "calculated"
AAMC FL 1: 510 (128/127/127/128)
*HERE I DID Q PACK and SB*
NS FL 1: 510 (128/126/127/129)
AAMC FL 2: 515 (130/129/128/128)
AAMC Unscored: (the score is "calculated" and the rest are percent correct) 515 (81/91/81/88)
*HERE I RE-DID SB CHEM/PHYS AND PSYCH*
AAMC FL 3: 520 (129/130/130/131)

I definitely believe that doing the Q Packs and SB gave me that 5 point increase from FL 1 to FL 2, and since all I did in between FL 2 and FL 3 was the AAMC unscored and re-doing the CH/phys and Psych SB's (I mean look at that jump in my psych/soc score from FL2 to FL3), I think just knowing how AAMC writes their questions really helped with that 5 point overall increase. Disclaimer: FL 3 has 2 CARS passages that were the same as in the Q Packs, so take my CARS Score on FL3 with a grain of salt. Although it's my opinion that the Q Packs are underrated and really do have some valuable material in them, the Section Banks really really really need to be done before test day. After reviewing FL3, I plan to re-do the BIO SB as well :)

So for reference, I did FL 1, then I did Q Packs and SB, then I did a NS FL and FL 2. After FL 2, I did the AAMC unscored, re-did 2 of the SB's, and then did FL3. I'm including FL's that I took way before even starting AAMC material, all in the order I took things. My scores are:

Kaplan FL 1: 501 (125/125/126/125)
TPR FL #1: 504 (125/127/125/127)
AAMC Official Questions Guide: 508 (67/75/80/93) - these are percentiles and the score is "calculated"
AAMC FL 1: 510 (128/127/127/128)
*HERE I DID Q PACK and SB*
NS FL 1: 510 (128/126/127/129)
AAMC FL 2: 515 (130/129/128/128)
AAMC Unscored: (the score is "calculated" and the rest are percent correct) 515 (81/91/81/88)
*HERE I RE-DID SB CHEM/PHYS AND PSYCH*
AAMC FL 3: 520 (129/130/130/131)

I definitely believe that doing the Q Packs and SB gave me that 5 point increase from FL 1 to FL 2, and since all I did in between FL 2 and FL 3 was the AAMC unscored and re-doing the CH/phys and Psych SB's (I mean look at that jump in my psych/soc score from FL2 to FL3), I think just knowing how AAMC writes their questions really helped with that 5 point overall increase. Disclaimer: FL 3 has 2 CARS passages that were the same as in the Q Packs, so take my CARS Score on FL3 with a grain of salt. Although it's my opinion that the Q Packs are underrated and really do have some valuable material in them, the Section Banks really really really need to be done before test day. After reviewing FL3, I plan to re-do the BIO SB as well :)

Any tips on how to effectively use the SBs? You seem to have really benefited from them!

Any tips on how to effectively use the SBs? You seem to have really benefited from them!
Well the first time I did them, I didn't really time myself, but I spent about 3 1/2 hours on each one. I did them with solutions off all in one sitting. But I think reviewing them helped my scores more than actually doing them. I went over every question, and for the questions I got wrong, I found out why and tried to fix that. So if it was a lack of knowledge, I learned everything I could about that concept. If it was something I missed in the passage, as soon as I saw that I got that question wrong I found the exact parts of the passage that made the correct answer correct and reasoned out why my answer was wrong before looking at AAMC solutions, if possible. The second time I did the SB's, I did them with the solutions on, and did almost the same thing, but spent more time reasoning out exactly WHY an answer was correct for every answer before looking at the AAMC solution. For Psych, I made sure I knew every single term in every possible answer, which I know takes forever to memorize but I think really helped. I think using them as a learning tool to figure out:
1) how does AAMC word their questions
2) what are they really looking for / what concept are they testing
3) where in the passage can they hide the information they are trying to get you to pull out
& 4) How to read passages super efficiently so that you can find the exact information that they want
really makes them a useful tool :) Also, knowing why an answer ISN'T correct is just as important as knowing what makes the correct answer correct. If you go into the questions thinking "What makes this answer choice wrong?" whether its a single word that makes the answer opposite, too extreme, or is a correct statement but doesn't answer the question is just as important as knowing what makes an answer correct. The SB's are really good for this!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all, just finished AAMC FL 2 with a 506 (126/126/127/127) which hurts pretty bad compared to my other AAMC FLs being 510 and 511. Not sure if this is a sign of burnout or a lacking on the grasp of the material. Considering I've finished all of the AAMC materials except for the Physics Q Pack, what would be the recommended route going forward in your opinion?
Test on 1/19
pls help

Hi all, just finished AAMC FL 2 with a 506 (126/126/127/127) which hurts pretty bad compared to my other AAMC FLs being 510 and 511. Not sure if this is a sign of burnout or a lacking on the grasp of the material. Considering I've finished all of the AAMC materials except for the Physics Q Pack, what would be the recommended route going forward in your opinion?
Test on 1/19
pls help

Looks like burnout to me. Maybe take tomorrow off?

Hi everyone! y'all are geniuses first of all, wow those scores, you will all do great on your exams I can tell!! good luck!!!!
I have a quick question though, did anybody have trouble registering for the MCAT? I'm trying to register for the March 24th one but I looked at different countries in Europe (where I am currently), Boston (where there are usually lots of spots weeks before the exam) and NYC and now all of them for the March date say "none available"? I guess I'm really surprised that there are no spaces for the March date this early(ish)...

Hi everyone! y'all are geniuses first of all, wow those scores, you will all do great on your exams I can tell!! good luck!!!!
I have a quick question though, did anybody have trouble registering for the MCAT? I'm trying to register for the March 24th one but I looked at different countries in Europe (where I am currently), Boston (where there are usually lots of spots weeks before the exam) and NYC and now all of them for the March date say "none available"? I guess I'm really surprised that there are no spaces for the March date this early(ish)...

I'm not sure what it's like now but I was paranoid and registered the day it opened because I was scared of this happening. It's possible that they're full already :/

My friend was going to register for the March they are all booked up until late april I think :/ register ASAP

Just finished Fl 2; Took some breaks in some terms in between sections but I'm not disappointed by how the exam went. 511-(128/129/127/127). The curve is kinda brutal and if I went by fl 3 standards I would've scored higher in like 3 sections I think but I'm happy with the improvement in CARS and overall. I just need to keep this up for test day and hopefully I score even higher!

Whomst else is beyond tired of this mess and can't bring themselves to study any more? Oooof. Taking FL2 tomorrow but I don't think I'll do much beyond that. My head is still spinning from the section banks...

Whomst else is beyond tired of this mess and can't bring themselves to study any more? Oooof. Taking FL2 tomorrow but I don't think I'll do much beyond that. My head is still spinning from the section banks...

I’m the same way. Not much else left to do but rock it on test day. I’m just trying to stay in the zone and ride out the confidence that I’ve developed since I started taking the 3 practice tests.

Keep checking and maybe a spot will free up, but registration fills fast for sure

I’m the same way. Not much else left to do but rock it on test day. I’m just trying to stay in the zone and ride out the confidence that I’ve developed since I started taking the 3 practice tests.

I'm feeling way less confident now than I was in December. Seeing all the great scores here is making me feel like I should be doing much better than I am.

I'm feeling way less confident now than I was in December. Seeing all the great scores here is making me feel like I should be doing much better than I am.
You're only going to get the very extreme scores on a site like SDN, there are plenty of us feeling like you lol. Just make sure you are doing your best because you should only be competing against yourself and your old scores:)

In case people on here forgot, which it seems quite possible, half of the people who take the MCAT score below 500. Considering most of the scores I see on here are 505 and up, this site isn't exactly representative of the population you're going up against.

Reactions: 3 users
I have INCREDIBLE news!!! FL2 went amazingly well for me - 514 (129/130/127/128)! That's a 5 point improvement from my last practice FL. Definitely attribute the improvement to doing the section banks. I'm feeling soooo much better. :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
I have INCREDIBLE news!!! FL2 went amazingly well for me - 514 (129/130/127/128)! That's a 5 point improvement from my last practice FL. Definitely attribute the improvement to doing the section banks. I'm feeling soooo much better. :soexcited:

Congrats that's awesome!!!! Are you going to try and do them again? I've heard it helps (especially from @smileyfacegirl27 ) but didn't know if it was worth the time to do them when I test 1/20

Congrats that's awesome!!!! Are you going to try and do them again? I've heard it helps (especially from @smileyfacegirl27 ) but didn't know if it was worth the time to do them when I test 1/20

Nah, I'm testing 1/19 so I'm going to review FL2 this afternoon and then have fun tomorrow. I miiight hit B/B again since that's my weakest area (never thought I would say this btw, I was expecting C/P to be my worst by far) but it really depends on if I'm in the mood. If I get a 514 on the real thing I'll be satisfied.

Congrats!!!! Now, I feel bad about my scores... taking FL3 Friday. I'm hoping to break the 512 barrier.

Congrats! When did you do the section banks the first time before you redid them this week? I redid them last week and am wondering if it's worth going through them AGAIN? I feel like I'll remember everything too well at this point.

Congrats! When did you do the section banks the first time before you redid them this week? I redid them last week and am wondering if it's worth going through them AGAIN? I feel like I'll remember everything too well at this point.

I did them for the first time this week - wish I'd done them earlier.

Hell yeah.

I have done the c/p (71%) about to start p/s, and plan to do b/b tomorrow.

I really think you'll see improvement once you finish them.

What specifically from the SBs helped you the most? Im in the same boat lol just started the SBs this week

I think just getting used to the way they ask questions and how they want us to extract information from the passages helped a lot. Getting the experience of wrestling with those really helped with digesting questions on the FL.

I think just getting used to the way they ask questions and how they want us to extract information from the passages helped a lot. Getting the experience of wrestling with those really helped with digesting questions on the FL.

Nice. Did you them timed like a practice test or untimed with solutions on?

Untimed, solutions on, although I haven't had issues with timing so if that's a problem for you you might want to try it timed.

I actually fixed my issues with timing somewhat lol so I'm just gonna do them untimed since it seems thats how people profit the most from them. Finishing with a few mins left in the 3 content sections, and just barely on time in CARS. I think that will improve with continued practice over the next few days.