*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So what does it mean that the AAMC says the test is "scaled" but not "curved"? Like that's just their way of saying it's curved right?

As far as I can read on the AAMC website, scores aren't curved and don't depend on the cohort that took the exam on a given day or month. Instead they are scaled so that scores are given equal value. I'm no expert here, and maybe someone could explain better. This apparently does away with small variations in question difficulty.

Comments like this are the reason why I feel like I'll be facing my execution in two days lol. Was it really much harder than the section bank?

It was pretty hard, but keep in mind everyone has a different perspective and background. I thought it was definitely challenging. The first half of the C/P section ate up a lot of time, and I had to rush through the last half. Just take a deep breath and trust what you know! Good luck!

So what does it mean that the AAMC says the test is "scaled" but not "curved"? Like that's just their way of saying it's curved right?
The AAMC had a Q and A thread on reddit in July and this is what they said regarding their scaling system:

There is no curve associated with the MCAT exam. Instead, the MCAT exam is scaled and equated so that scores have the same meaning, no matter when you test.

The AAMC does multiple things when we score your exam.

• First, we count the number of questions answered correctly. So the score that you achieve on the four scored multiple-choice sections are based on the number of questions you answer correctly. Wrong answers are scored exactly the same way as an unanswered question and there isn’t an additional penalty for wrong answers.

• Second, we take the number of correct answers and convert them to an MCAT scale score. Scores from each of these four sections are converted to a scaled score ranging from 118 (lowest) to 132 (highest). For example, if your number correct on one of the sections is between 35 and 37, your converted score might be 123. Number correct ranging from 46 to 48 might have a converted score of 128, and so forth. For the body of knowledge and reasoning skills the MCAT exam covers, the scale score indicates how much an applicant knows.

So why don’t we give you your raw score on test day or on your score report, and instead convert to scaled scores? In a given testing year, there are many different test forms that are produced, any of which you could see on your exam day. The forms of the exam are designed to measure the same basic concepts and skills, but each form contains different sets of questions. While care is taken to make sure that each form is about equivalent in difficulty, one form may be slightly more or less difficult than another. The conversion of raw scores to scaled scores compensates for small variations in difficulty between sets of questions. The exact conversion of raw to scaled scores is not constant because different sets of questions are used on different exams. The 15-point scale tends to provide a more stable and accurate assessment of a student's abilities. Two students of equal ability would be expected to get the same scaled score, even though there might be a slight difference between the raw scores each student obtained on the test. This is also done to ensure that scores have the same meaning across test administrations and testing years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I so dont wanna void this test :( but I scoring consistently low n C/P sections....
I know med schools really look at your first score, I dont wanna mess it up. 2 more days

I so dont wanna void this test :( but I scoring consistently low n C/P sections....
I know med schools really look at your first score, I dont wanna mess it up. 2 more days
If you're not scoring near your goal, you should just void and retake at a later date. A bad score will always stay on your record

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
It was pretty hard, but keep in mind everyone has a different perspective and background. I thought it was definitely challenging. The first half of the C/P section ate up a lot of time, and I had to rush through the last half. Just take a deep breath and trust what you know! Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I'll try :)

Not all med schools look at just one score. Actually, if schools see an improvement over two or three scores, that can actually look better to admissions officers. That being said, you never want a bad score if you can help it.

Just a casual reminder that in the January 2017 MCAT thread, most people thought they bombed their exam but actually ended up with very decent scores. Furthermore, there are several people in that thread who are currently holding MD acceptances. Now isn't the time for y'all to lose all hope!
Don't neglect the response bias that only the people who were excited about their scores would've posted them. There very well may have been a great deal of sadness.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't neglect the response bias that only the people who were excited about their scores would've posted them. There very well may have been a great deal of sadness.

I think it's helpful to remember that people who thought they bombed actually did well, especially since there's nothing we can do now about our scores. The only thing we can control is our attitude about it while we wait.

Reactions: 3 users
finished c/p SB with a 95%, but did it untimed and spread over two days.
All that is left to do is some light cars practice...
Good luck everyone.... Ill see y'all on the other side!

Members don't see this ad :)
The AAMC had a Q and A thread on reddit in July and this is what they said regarding their scaling system:

There is no curve associated with the MCAT exam. Instead, the MCAT exam is scaled and equated so that scores have the same meaning, no matter when you test.

The AAMC does multiple things when we score your exam.

• First, we count the number of questions answered correctly. So the score that you achieve on the four scored multiple-choice sections are based on the number of questions you answer correctly. Wrong answers are scored exactly the same way as an unanswered question and there isn’t an additional penalty for wrong answers.

• Second, we take the number of correct answers and convert them to an MCAT scale score. Scores from each of these four sections are converted to a scaled score ranging from 118 (lowest) to 132 (highest). For example, if your number correct on one of the sections is between 35 and 37, your converted score might be 123. Number correct ranging from 46 to 48 might have a converted score of 128, and so forth. For the body of knowledge and reasoning skills the MCAT exam covers, the scale score indicates how much an applicant knows.

So why don’t we give you your raw score on test day or on your score report, and instead convert to scaled scores? In a given testing year, there are many different test forms that are produced, any of which you could see on your exam day. The forms of the exam are designed to measure the same basic concepts and skills, but each form contains different sets of questions. While care is taken to make sure that each form is about equivalent in difficulty, one form may be slightly more or less difficult than another. The conversion of raw scores to scaled scores compensates for small variations in difficulty between sets of questions. The exact conversion of raw to scaled scores is not constant because different sets of questions are used on different exams. The 15-point scale tends to provide a more stable and accurate assessment of a student's abilities. Two students of equal ability would be expected to get the same scaled score, even though there might be a slight difference between the raw scores each student obtained on the test. This is also done to ensure that scores have the same meaning across test administrations and testing years.

Thanks for this!! But if it's not curved, why does it take a month to scale how difficult the questions are? If it's not based on others' performance, shouldn't they know how hard the q's are ahead of time?

Thanks for this!! But if it's not curved, why does it take a month to scale how difficult the questions are? If it's not based on others' performance, shouldn't they know how hard the q's are ahead of time?
This was their response to your question:

AAMC scales and equates each exam after each test day. This takes 30 to 35 days. The scaling and equating process is done to account for small differences in the difficulty of test questions when we convert the number of questions you answer correctly to the MCAT score scale. Also during this time, we allow time for students to submit any concerns they have about exam questions or testing conditions. The AAMC then reviews and investigates each concern. So due to this careful analysis and review of feedback from each exam date, we aren’t able to provide a score immediately after you complete your exam.

In my opinion, their response doesn't make any sense because the scores to the practice FL's are provided to you as soon as the test is over, so why is the actual exam any different?

In my opinion, their response doesn't make any sense because the scores to the practice FL's are provided to you as soon as the test is over, so why is the actual exam any different?

The practice FLs are created from unscored questions on actual MCAT exams, therefore the AAMC has already collected the data on how difficult each question is and it can use that info to tabulate the scale for each section.

YES get it!!!

Not to derail but my girlfriend keeps increasing the score she thinks I'll get and I think she's up to 630 now? That's not a typo lol

Your girl is a real ride or die!!! By the time you get your score back you’ll be at a 999 score....which might be your percentiles!! Ayeeeeeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The practice FLs are created from unscored questions on actual MCAT exams, therefore the AAMC has already collected the data on how difficult each question is and it can use that info to tabulate the scale for each section.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

This was their response to your question:

AAMC scales and equates each exam after each test day. This takes 30 to 35 days. The scaling and equating process is done to account for small differences in the difficulty of test questions when we convert the number of questions you answer correctly to the MCAT score scale. Also during this time, we allow time for students to submit any concerns they have about exam questions or testing conditions. The AAMC then reviews and investigates each concern. So due to this careful analysis and review of feedback from each exam date, we aren’t able to provide a score immediately after you complete your exam.

OK, let me try to explain this. Again, we psychometricians do not simply "curve" the (observed, raw) scores. Rather, we use very specialized statistical methods (Item Response Theory + scaling/equating) to "estimate" your underlying, unboseved traits (in this case, capacity or mastery), using all the information from those items you answered on the test day. As your capacity/master is unobserved, we need to "infer" it. We don't just count how many items you got it right or wrong. We take into account of the patterns as well as the nature of the items (their individual behaviors, such as their difficulty levels, their "guessing" probability, their discriminatory power, etc). As you may know, in every exam, there will be a few items that are not counted toward your scores. It is our trick: we just collect the data to estimate the individual item's behaviors in a population, so that we can know better their "item characteristics." That is why there could be some unusual hard or easy items on the exam. Before we really collect the data to see how many people got it right/wrong, we have no clue how this will behave. After we know their individual item characteristics, we use this information to assemble a test, trying to reach a pre-set "test characteristics." During assembly, we will try to balance the difficulty levels. But of course, it may happen that when there are very easy items, there will be harder items to make the overall test balanced.

Those items released by AAMC are already retired from the active item banks. We already have a lot of data regarding those items and tests, so that we can compute the scores right away using automated computation. However, those active items, to make the estimations more accurate, it will still take time for real psychometricians to aggregate the data, and run the models to estimate the final scores - during which, there are a lot of assumptions need to be checked. Again, it is an estimation process using data and statistics. =) (oh, also, in the IRT model, one of the most basic assumption we make is: the underlying traits are normally distributed. That is where the "curve" comes from)

I know it is a totally different topic from our pending MCAT exam (mine is on 1/25!!), but if you want to get a little more reading, IRT article on wikipedia may be a good read. It is highly simplified and omits a lot of details. But I think it is a good place to start.

ps. By the way, although I use "we" in my response, it is my usual writing style. I have absolutely no affiliation with those test makers. I just know their tricks and also use those tricks in my own work.

Last edited:
OK, let me try to explain this. Again, we psychometricians do not simply "curve" the (observed, raw) scores. Rather, we use very specialized statistical methods (Item Response Theory + scaling/equating) to "estimate" your underlying, unboseved traits (in this case, capacity or mastery), using all the information from those items you answered on the test day. As your capacity/master is unobserved, we need to "infer" it. We don't just count how many items you got it right or wrong. We take into account of the patterns as well as the nature of the items (their individual behaviors, such as their difficulty levels, their "guessing" probability, their discriminatory power, etc). As you may know, in every exam, there will be a few items that are not counted toward your scores. It is our trick: we just collect the data to estimate the individual item's behaviors in a population, so that we can know better their "item characteristics." That is why there could be some unusual hard or easy items on the exam. Before we really collect the data to see how many people got it right/wrong, we have no clue how this will behave. After we know their individual item characteristics, we use this information to assemble a test, trying to reach a pre-set "test characteristics." During assembly, we will try to balance the difficulty levels. But of course, it may happen that when there are very easy items, there will be harder items to make the overall test balanced.

Those items released by AAMC are already retired from the active item banks. We already have a lot of data regarding those items and tests, so that we can compute the scores right away using automated computation. However, those active items, to make the estimations more accurate, it will still take time for real psychometricians to aggregate the data, and run the models to estimate the final scores - during which, there are a lot of assumptions need to be checked. Again, it is an estimation process using data and statistics. =) (oh, also, in the IRT model, one of the most basic assumption we make is: the underlying traits are normally distributed. That is where the "curve" comes from)

I know it is a totally different topic from our pending MCAT exam (mine is on 1/25!!), but if you want to get a little more reading, IRT article on wikipedia may be a good read. It is highly simplified and omits a lot of details. But I think it is a good place to start.

ps. By the way, although I use "we" in my response, it is my usual writing style. I have absolutely no affiliation with those test makers. I just know their tricks and also use those tricks in my own work.
Thank you very much for your thorough reply! Now it definitely makes sense! Why couldn't AAMC be this meticulous in their response lol?

Who else is trying to write their personal statement now that the MCAT is over with?

Mine is tomorrow. But from last night I already began to see what else components in my application package I should work on between now and June. :laugh:

Who else is trying to write their personal statement now that the MCAT is over with?

Me! I've spent a total of ~15 hours trying to figure this thing out, and I have come up with nothing +pity+

I'm so burnt from reviewing over the last 2 days. I think I'll just accept what I know is what I know for tomorrow haha.

Early Good Luck everyone!
I'm gonna go surf for the remainder of the day.

i had to write a personal statement for a summer program this year, so I'm probably gonna reword here and there, so I guess you could say its already done! haha

anyone else not feelin the whole school thing after taking the mcat? motivation at an all time low rn

Dude you have no idea. Last semester I would wake up at like 5 AM every day to study MCAT stuff because I was in school full time too. So far this semester I've been rippin' games of CSGO and fortnite left and right and slept through my 1 PM class on Tuesday. Its almost time to have to start doing work again.

Definitely starting my PS this week. Have a meeting with my advisor on Friday so hopefully it doesn’t suck too bad this first go around lol

Dude you have no idea. Last semester I would wake up at like 5 AM every day to study MCAT stuff because I was in school full time too. So far this semester I've been rippin' games of CSGO and fortnite left and right and slept through my 1 PM class on Tuesday. Its almost time to have to start doing work again.
already behind in anatomy and stayed up till 1am last night writing a paper that I started at 11pm but you know, I couldn't care less at this point. great start to the semester!

I went in with the intention of voiding today but my initial thoughts on the 01/25 test are that:

C/P: felt fine. I would equate it with the same difficulty as the aamc exams, but no surprises with this section

CARS: hard. I felt as if this section had substantially longer passages than any of the aamc practice exams. The first passage was 9 paragraphs! There were others during the beginning-middle of this section that were of comparable length

B/B: mediocre. Again, pretty similar to the aamc practice exams. Good amount of genetics but not as much biochem as I was anticipating (unfortunately)

P/S: mediocre. I thought that a lot of the questions were 50/50. Hardly any graphs/tables/ data interpretation. Just strict passage based with little quantitative analysis.

C/P hard to gauge, I was super anxious. I finished the section with an extra 20 minutes. On practice tests I never finished with more than 10 minutes. Overall I feel like the last minute review of SB and physics q-pack helped tremendously. There was only one question were I flat out guessed and its because I didn't remember the damn equation. I am really pissed I was expected to know this equation...... I honestly want to box up one of my dogs turds and mail it to AAMC for that low ball question. F**kers.....

CARS: not a single passage under 7 paragraphs. The content was interesting but the questions and answers were like the first half of CARS pack 1. If I end up having to retake. This section will be the reason why....
B/B: some were really easy stand alone questions like "what color is a fire truck?" But some of the passages had very technical signaling pathways. Stuff where your natural intuition would have given you the opposite relationship between variables and ultimately the wrong answer. Really happy I have a background in that stuff.

P/S: Very little vocab, A lot of interpretation. Probably 60-70% of my answers came down to 50/50 and most of those felt equally justifiable.

Overall I am pretty certain my score will reside somewhere between 472 and 528. Plan to retake if it's below 510 though....

It's good that y'all had CARS with interesting passages. I think I speak for all of 1/20 in that our passages were horse ****

So its post 1/25/. How did you guys out there feel? Thought it was super hard. HBU?:(

So its post 1/25/. How did you guys out there feel? Thought it was super hard. HBU?:(

I don't imagine anyone walks out thinking the MCAT is easy. Let's just hope the scale weighs in our favor lol...

My thoughts:

C/P: felt pretty good about it. A couple calculations got me. There were quite few calculations.
CARS: **** those passages. I thought a number of the questions were tough too.
B/B: I thought it was pretty hard? Idk maybe it just tested me on my weak points. Nothing on the systems I knew like the back of my hand. Made me feel like a brain dead turtle.
P/S: Felt really good about it! Only a few were 50/50. A number of intuitive guesses though. Literally flagged half the section.

Overall: Could have gotten totally railed. Could have done alright. Retaking if I'm below a 510.

My thoughts:

C/P: felt pretty good about it. A couple calculations got me. There were quite few calculations.
CARS: **** those passages. I thought a number of the questions were tough too.
B/B: I thought it was pretty hard? Idk maybe it just tested me on my weak points. Nothing on the systems I knew like the back of my hand. Made me feel like a brain dead turtle.
P/S: Felt really good about it! Only a few were 50/50. A number of intuitive guesses though. Literally flagged half the section.

Overall: Could have gotten totally railed. Could have done alright. Retaking if I'm below a 510.

Did you feel that cars had outrageously long passages?

Is this thread gonna double as a score release thread in 32 days 22hrs and 44 minutes....?

Reactions: 4 users
I do feel that CARS have longer passages .... But, no matter what, just like usual, I have to rush through the last passage or two to get it all done on time. At the same time, yes, they are all interesting passages. This was almost my first time didn't feel bored halfway through the exam.... LOL My CARS has been fluctuating, so I don't try to guess how much I will get.

B/B: Yes, I agree that this is somewhat harder. There are a few items I just had totally no clue what they were talking about and had to make ... ugh, not even educated guesses, but blind guesses. But guess what, I googled a few of them on my way home, and I did make a few right guesses!

The other two: hmm, not really sure how I have done. Could be very well, could be very poorly.

Anyway, the only thing I know right now is:

It is the time for my life to begin again! I have been away for quite a while from what I have been enjoying doing. My colleagues already sent me more work at 5:00 pm, and the due day is 5 days later. I will plan my next step a month later. Maybe need a retake, or maybe not. But as for now, enjoy the post-exam life!

Post Mortem on 1/25
C/P started out easy and then it was 0-100 real quick, but not bad enough to die....YET.

CARS- most interesting passages and hardest questions I have ever encountered in my life. I was legit reading passages like you’ve gotta be kidding me???? I’m interested which means they are about to break my heart with these questions.

B/B- I started looking around if I was on a hidden AAMC funniest MCAT prank videos. The questions were either easy like my 6 year old could answer(if I had a kid) or crazy convoluted which made me question life.

P/S- got a headache. Which never happens in this section. It felt like after the whole exam the AAMC was like here ya go!!!!! Do some more!!!!

I feel like this test was like someone slowly poisoning you.....you know you are dying...you just don’t know when!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users