*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yo.... that CARS doe.....

C/P: Felt pretty good about this section. Not too much physics, but fairly straightforward. Scored about 128's on practice tests.

CARS: Literally wtf! After the first passage, I was like, "it's alright, its just one passage the next one will be easier." HAH! NOPE! That **** continued for like 4 passages! I have no idea how I did on this section. Normally I can't tell. I was scoring between 126 and 129. I'm just hoping I hit a 125 lol.

B/B: Straight forward as well. Definitely some gimme's and some blindsiders. Felt like it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Scored 127-128's here.

P/S: I was expecting some crazy stuff here after hearing about the 1/19 and 1/20 tests. I was also expecting some random stuff I've never heard of before, which there was, but not as much as I was expecting. I felt like this section went well, but that hypnosis question was kind of whack (for sure a random ass question). Felt good. Scored 127-128 here.

Reactions: 1 user
Post Mortem on 1/25
C/P started out easy and then it was 0-100 real quick, but not bad enough to die....YET.

CARS- most interesting passages and hardest questions I have ever encountered in my life. I was legit reading passages like you’ve gotta be kidding me???? I’m interested which means they are about to break my heart with these questions.

B/B- I started looking around if I was on a hidden AAMC funniest MCAT prank videos. The questions were either easy like my 6 year old could answer(if I had a kid) or crazy convoluted which made me question life.

P/S- got a headache. Which never happens in this section. It felt like after the whole exam the AAMC was like here ya go!!!!! Do some more!!!!

I feel like this test was like someone slowly poisoning you.....you know you are dying...you just don’t know when!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think we had the same test lol

1/25 FINALLY FREEEEEEE
C/P: Probably one of the easier C/P sections I've ever done. Felt it had more Chem than Physics, which I prefer.
I was feeling pretty confident...
CARS: Yep there goes the confidence.... ugh Suck my ### CARS. There were a few interesting passages, but the questions took any enjoyment/interest I got from reading them.
B/B: Pretty straight forward, thankfully the topics were more my strengths. PS: Gotta love those free amino acid questions.
P/S: Wildcard section, fatigue started kicking in half way through this section, but I didn't encounter any "WTF are these terms" moments so that's always good!

And now the waiting game....
But it's okay I've got wine and alcohol to keep me company haha.

Good Job everyone, we survived~

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took it on 1/25 and thought the C/P section was harder than the three AAMC FLs and the SB. The P/S section had a good number of 50/50 questions, more than I was expecting. What's everyone's threshold for a retake? I think I'll retake it if it's below 510

Sounds like we all got similar tests.

C/P Was slightly difficult. I'd say it was comparable to FL1

CARS long passages and easy to read but difficult questions... defin harder than all the fls from AAMC

B/B an absolute joke, I guess we got super lucky. it was a very easy section

P/S started off super easy and then got a little tricky..... this part wasn't necessarily difficult I feel that they just threw weird questions (like hypnosis wtf?)

Overall test was pretty standard. I'm just glad the C/P wasn't as extreme as the last one I took

I took it on 1/25 and thought the C/P section was harder than the three AAMC FLs and the SB. The P/S section had a good number of 50/50 questions, more than I was expecting. What's everyone's threshold for a retake? I think I'll retake it if it's below 510
Felt the same way about C/P! It was very weird, and I had my good share of guessing. I'd be proud of getting 125 in that section lol. Cars made me hate teddy Roosevelt. B/B had 2 difficult passages and the rest was okay. As for P/S: It has turned my life into an epiphenomenon :D

1/25 and I'm free!!!

C/P: wasn't too difficult. I'd say it was reflective of the aamc practice tests
CARS: longest passages ever!!! The questions were difficult as well. Honestly its usually my easiest section but yea...
B/B: Wasn't too bad
P/S: not too many freebies but wasn't bad

So is it just me or does anyone else feel unmotivated right now? I took the test on 1/19 and not having the results yet is making it super hard for me to concentrate on writing my personal statement among other things since I don't know what my future holds as far as needing to retake or whatever. Am I the only one feeling burned out as opposed to relieved after taking the MCAT?

After reading the all of the January MCAT reactions I am now 100% happy that I took the 1/19 test. I definitely would not have liked the 1/20 C/P section, and the 1/25 CARS (my weakest section) would have killed me.

1/25....
C/p: Not bad but still the hardest C/p I've come across
CARS: Felt good about this one but the questions were pretty ambiguous
Bio: Not bad similar to FL2
Psych: So different than usual. WTF lol a lot of 50/50's

Don't really know how I feel, hoping I can crack 515+... The wait is gonna SUCK

Reactions: 1 users
1/25....
C/p: Not bad but still the hardest C/p I've come across
CARS: Felt good about this one but the questions were pretty ambiguous
Bio: Not bad similar to FL2
Psych: So different than usual. WTF lol a lot of 50/50's

Don't really know how I feel, hoping I can crack 515+... The wait is gonna SUCK
Trust in your scores from the AAMC exams. I'm sure you'll do much better than 515

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust in your scores from the AAMC exams. I'm sure you'll do much better than 515

That’s what I keep telling myself. It’s been consistently shown that those tests scores are very representative of how your score is despite how you feel it went after.

That’s what I keep telling myself. It’s been consistently shown that those tests scores are very representative of how your score is despite how you feel it went after.
If I get that 510 average I was getting on the practice exams I'll legitimately weep tears of joy

Okay at this point I straight up do not remember a single thing about what was on my MCAT. I guess that's good because then I can't look things up and stress about them but it feels pretty strange to not remember much about such an important event.

Okay at this point I straight up do not remember a single thing about what was on my MCAT. I guess that's good because then I can't look things up and stress about them but it feels pretty strange to not remember much about such an important event.
Eh, me neither. Tbh I forgot everything a few hours after the exam. Like you said, it's for the best

Hope everyone is holding tight. This time will fly by (hopefully) lol

Hope everyone is holding tight. This time will fly by (hopefully) lol
to me, life is enjoyable right now, but its still feels like its going by kinda slow with the dreaded thought of the score always in the back of my head haha

This waiting game sucks. I feel like my life is a YouTube video on .5 X speed. It’s not even February yet !

Really? I jump right into my work.... XD so I don't really have time to think about MCAT.

But, funny enough, last night I had a nightmare about making my application: I realized that I was in my 5th week of a French class which I never showed up. In my dream I freak out as I believed I would definitely fail the class and get an F on my transcript. I tried to find the classroom to see what I can do to fix it, but got so lost in a building. Then I woke up.

I am still amused by this dream: why French class? Any thought? LOL

Anyone else feels that the more time goes by, the closer their score gets to 472? Lol! My AAMC FL average was around 506, my goal was 508, I came out of the exam feeling I didn't get past 500, but now I feel like I'm hovering around 490 lol.

Really? I jump right into my work.... XD so I don't really have time to think about MCAT.

But, funny enough, last night I had a nightmare about making my application: I realized that I was in my 5th week of a French class which I never showed up. In my dream I freak out as I believed I would definitely fail the class and get an F on my transcript. I tried to find the classroom to see what I can do to fix it, but got so lost in a building. Then I woke up.

I am still amused by this dream: why French class? Any thought? LOL
I get these dreams semi-frequently, despite having graduated several years ago.

This wait is going to last forever. And it doesn't help that January has felt longer than the last 3 months combined.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully they are making a nice curve and it'll be worth the wait lol

Reactions: 4 users
Were there lots of experimental-based passages straight from scientific journal articles in the C/P & B/B sections?

Were there lots of experimental-based passages straight from scientific journal articles in the C/P & B/B sections?
I would say SB like passages with SB like data interpretation.. nothing too bad or crazy

honestly this wait is flying by for me, mainly b/c 18 hours having kept my life busy! not much time to wait around and think about it.

For every point over 516, ill donate 100$ to SDN lol. Putting out that good energy! Can I get an update on days, hours, minutes, seconds left?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For every point over 516, ill donate 100$ to SDN lol. Putting out that good energy! Can I get an update on days, hours, minutes, seconds left?
Donate to me instead. It's a worthy cause

For every point I make above a 500 I'll do a shot of tequila ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 8 users

Does that mean for every point under 516 SDN pays you $100?

For every point I make above a 500 I'll do a shot of tequila ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you don't get a 528 and die.

Reactions: 3 users
seeing everyone match in TX today makes me so envious! Man I cant wait to be in that position next fall