***The Official NYU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Does anyone know Ms. Neyda Lopez's email? I interviewed today and want to write her a thank you letter, but I forgot to ask for a business card, and I can't find it anywhere on their website... Please help!!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know Ms. Neyda Lopez's email? I interviewed today and want to write her a thank you letter, but I forgot to ask for a business card, and I can't find it anywhere on their website... Please help!!! Thanks

[email protected]

I LOVE her. She's so sweet

Does anyone know the last interview date? On the waitlist like :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the name of male interviewees? He is indian man like 5'6".

Please help
Thank you

"Currently, your application is under review. On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I am following up to request your most recent grades or any updated DATs, if available. If you have already sent an academic update via AADSAS, please let us know."

got this email recently, does it actually mean anything for the possibility of getting an interview or is it just sent to everyone

"Currently, your application is under review. On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I am following up to request your most recent grades or any updated DATs, if available. If you have already sent an academic update via AADSAS, please let us know."

got this email recently, does it actually mean anything for the possibility of getting an interview or is it just sent to everyone
I don't see it as being a BAD sign...:)

Best of luck!

Hey guys, I was wondering do you know who makes up the admissions committee at dental schools? I had a good interview here and another school and waiting to hear back... do the interviewers make up the admissions committee? If you have high stats and the interview didnt go stellar, can you still have a chance of getting in or most likely nah?

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE OF BEING ON THE WAITLIST ANYMORE... :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I was wondering do you know who makes up the admissions committee at dental schools? I had a good interview here and another school and waiting to hear back... do the interviewers make up the admissions committee? If you have high stats and the interview didnt go stellar, can you still have a chance of getting in or most likely nah?
Not all the interviewers are part of the admissions board, I know most if not all of the admission members. Your interview places higher than your actual stats. You still have a chance if your interview didn't go well, but it's not very high. Your interviewer has a HUGE IMPACT on your quick and timely acceptance.

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE OF BEING ON THE WAITLIST ANYMORE... :)
Just keep emailing and calling them every week, you should hear something soon or by April. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a good idea to have something to talk about when you call or keep it succinct and just say something along the lines of "Hi my name is so and so, I am on the waitlist and want to know if there is any status change."

Is it a good idea to have something to talk about when you call or keep it succinct and just say something along the lines of "Hi my name is so and so, I am on the waitlist and want to know if there is any status change."
I just ask and they never really tell me anything except last time I called I was told my file is with Dr. Mejia but they don't know why...so basically they won't really tell you anything and they'll just tell you to wait

Not all the interviewers are part of the admissions board, I know most if not all of the admission members. Your interview places higher than your actual stats. You still have a chance if your interview didn't go well, but it's not very high. Your interviewer has a HUGE IMPACT on your quick and timely acceptance.
I kind of disagree with this.. I think NYU was one of my weaker interviews (it was 7:30 in the morning..haha) , but I have above avg states (3.89 gpa, 22DAT). I felt like my interviewer was trying to sell the school to me and only actually asked one question. He didn't seem to care about why I wanted to do dentistry and just wanted to make sure I'd at least think about attending their school. Just my two cents, I think if you have great stats and a great app overall with a polished personal statement and activities... the interview doesn't weigh much..

I kind of disagree with this.. I think NYU was one of my weaker interviews (it was 7:30 in the morning..haha) , but I have above avg states (3.89 gpa, 22DAT). I felt like my interviewer was trying to sell the school to me and only actually asked one question. He didn't seem to care about why I wanted to do dentistry and just wanted to make sure I'd at least think about attending their school. Just my two cents, I think if you have great stats and a great app overall with a polished personal statement and activities... the interview doesn't weigh much..
I don't know who interviewed you, but NYU does NOT have to sell the school to applicants. They have enough attention and over saturated desperate applicants to fill their seats. Personally, I just feel they only care accepting as many students and profiting from tuit in costs.

I don't know who interviewed you, but NYU does NOT have to sell the school to applicants. They have enough attention and over saturated desperate applicants to fill their seats. Personally, I just feel they only care accepting as many students and profiting from tuit in costs.
Accepting as many students and profiting?
They only accept around 375 students and they'll pull from the waitlist if they have to. They want to have a high acceptance rate and the best applicants. they 100% tried to sell the school to us... they know that the large class size is a turn off and emphasized how they group students and how it's basically groups of 25 instead of the entire class

Accepting as many students and profiting?
They only accept around 375 students and they'll pull from the waitlist if they have to. They want to have a high acceptance rate and the best applicants. they 100% tried to sell the school to us... they know that the large class size is a turn off and emphasized how they group students and how it's basically groups of 25 instead of the entire class

I'm confident to say they accept over 400 students by now. They don't need a high acceptance rate, they interview twice as many students as they accept every year. Tell me a dental school that doesn't want the best applicants. Like I said, they don't need to sell themselves because they can always fill up their seats from a competitive applicant pool. Let me know if you find a dental school with nearly the same magnitude as NYU in class size. If NYU wanted to give their students more attention, then they would have decreased the class size or increased their faculty.

I'm confident to say they accept over 400 students by now. They don't need a high acceptance rate, they interview twice as many students as they accept every year. Tell me a dental school that doesn't want the best applicants. Like I said, they don't need to sell themselves because they can always fill up their seats from a competitive applicant pool. Let me know if you find a dental school with nearly the same magnitude as NYU in class size. If NYU wanted to give their students more attention, then they would have decreased the class size or increased their faculty.
Do you mean they already filled 400 students at this point? Or they plan to do that for this coming school year?

Do you mean they already filled 400 students at this point? Or they plan to do that for this coming school year?
They plan to fill over 400 seats this cycle.

who was your interviewer?

I got the same email last week. I really hope it leads to an interview

I got the same email last week. I really hope it leads to an interview
NYU interviews up to and including the month of March. It is mentioned on their website and confirmed by Neyda Lopez. Good Luck

I dont know if someone already answered this, but I was just wondering why do they ask for all the info about the other schools on the secondary? ex. interview dates acceptance dates, etc...

I dont know if someone already answered this, but I was just wondering why do they ask for all the info about the other schools on the secondary? ex. interview dates acceptance dates, etc...
I was told (but idk how true this is) is that it's to see whether or not you would go to NYU if accepted so like if you've been accepted at Harvard you're prob not going to go to NYU. Like I said I'm not sure how accurate this is

I was told (but idk how true this is) is that it's to see whether or not you would go to NYU if accepted so like if you've been accepted at Harvard you're prob not going to go to NYU. Like I said I'm not sure how accurate this is

ok thanks for the info!!

Do they notify the waitlisted applicants regarding updates through an email or a phone call?

Does anyone know when is the next round of giving out acceptances?

My interviewer literally told me I had excellent qualifications and told me Im almost a shoe-in. He happened to be besties with a faculty member I knew. Faculty member told me my interviewer loved me and raved about me.

On December 1st I ended up being waitlisted. Some how some way they figured out I wasn't going to go there and had to protect their yield. For people interviewing now, if you really want to go to NYU you have to not tell them about any other schools. They have to protect their yield to justify having a 375 person class. Also another reason why they make you call a billion times.

My interviewer literally told me I had excellent qualifications and told me Im almost a shoe-in. He happened to be besties with a faculty member I knew. Faculty member told me my interviewer loved me and raved about me.

On December 1st I ended up being waitlisted. Some how some way they figured out I wasn't going to go there and had to protect their yield. For people interviewing now, if you really want to go to NYU you have to not tell them about any other schools. They have to protect their yield to justify having a 375 person class. Also another reason why they make you call a billion times.

You were waitlisted because you were waitlisted. Let's not make any assumptions because your post sounds a bit acerbic. Very qualified applicants have been waitlisted, while very qualified applicants have been accepted. There are some very qualified applicants who have not even heard back from NYU yet. Having 375 or however many students the school has is the school's choice.

I told my interviewers I was accepted elsewhere, but was fortunately still accepted. I was just honest cuz I didn't know exactly how much they actually know about our statuses.

You were waitlisted because you were waitlisted. Let's not make any assumptions because your post sounds a bit acerbic. Very qualified applicants have been waitlisted, while very qualified applicants have been accepted. There are some very qualified applicants who have not even heard back from NYU yet. Having 375 or however many students the school has is the school's choice.

I was waitlisted for whatever reason they liked, I don't really care at all. Im just saying the above person said the interview was the biggest factor. Considering I have inside information about how my interviewer rated me, it proves it wasn't as big as he said.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I agree with you. I saw my faculty interviewer writing down "intelligent, strong candidate" on my application and was still waitlisted. I think its because I honestly wrote down all the schools i interviewed at on the supplemental application. Its the biggest mistake I made. I wish I had known this "protect their yield" thing before.

I agree with you. I saw my faculty interviewer writing down "intelligent, strong candidate" on my application and was still waitlisted. I think its because I honestly wrote down all the schools i interviewed at on the supplemental application. Its the biggest mistake I made. I wish I had known this "protect their yield" thing before.
You think your honesty was a mistake? If you want to go to the school, let them know. If you've been accepted elsewhere, then it shouldn't make a difference. Your application still has the positive comments on it.

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday at 9 am :) However, Dr. Mejia said waitlist movement will officially begin March 20th

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist yesterday at 9 am :) However, Dr. Mejia said waitlist movement will officially begin March 20th
Congrats!

How often did you contact the school after the waitlist?

Congrats!

How often did you contact the school after the waitlist?
THANK YOU! Oh gosh. Way too much. I called like twice and emailed them at least 10 times. I was waitlisted late December like right before Christmas. Your goal is get Dr. Mejia to know your name

You think your honesty was a mistake? If you want to go to the school, let them know. If you've been accepted elsewhere, then it shouldn't make a difference. Your application still has the positive comments on it.

Exactly! Well said.

I was waitlisted for whatever reason they liked, I don't really care at all. Im just saying the above person said the interview was the biggest factor. Considering I have inside information about how my interviewer rated me, it proves it wasn't as big as he said.

Well, it seems like you care because you are going to Stony Brook but talking about "NYU yield." "Inside information" from a single case doesn't determine the general approach the school takes. Interview could have been very important, but maybe another aspect of your application was lacking in their eyes. Hence, diluting the impact of your excellent interview. I know applicants with 3.8+ GPA and 22+ DAT scores who thought they did not do very well in the interview, but they got into NYU. I also know applicants who have considerably lower GPA but they thought they did extremely well in the interview, and they got in.

It's ridiculous to speak/make assumptions about yield. If the cost of NYU does not deter you (and I am sure NYU knows very well that students do get discouraged by the price tag) and you liked everything they had to offer, let them know! It's common sense that any school wants students who want to attend there. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Every school has yield protection, it is common knowledge. And I have every right to post in this NYU thread considering I interviewed here.

In terms of how much I care? That's laughable, im going to a school that's 178k less before interest.
I was trying to disprove that the above poster said the interview was the make it or break it.
And you are all up in arms about what I said.

Last edited:
Every school has yield protection, it is common knowledge. And I have every right to post in this NYU thread considering I interviewed here.

In terms of how much I care? That's laughable, im going to a school that's 178k less before interest.
I was trying to disprove that the above poster said the interview was the make it or break it.
And you are all up in arms about what I said.

"Every school has yield protection." But, you were pretty much criticizing NYU for protecting its own. That's good to know.

"Every school has yield protection." But, you were pretty much criticizing NYU for protecting its own. That's good to know.

My mistake if it came off that way. NYU is still a great school and people who got in should be proud of it.

My gripe with them isn't about them protecting their yield, it is their enormous class size in a already saturated state. We don't need 400 dentists graduating from 1 school in New York. But this isn't the point of this thread, so I won't continue further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Did you ever contact dr Mejia directly?