***The Official NYU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they might be on thier spring break this week? So no news? Can someone confirm

I called on Monday, someone picked up, but have been told Dr.Mejia is on business trip (Guess the ADEA 2017 GoDental event)? Also suppose the last deposit due on Monday as well?

I was accepted off the waitlist about two weeks ago! For those of you guys still on the waitlist, I would make sure to send weekly emails to admissions reiterating that NYUCD is your first choice.

I'm so excited to start in the fall!

Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted off the waitlist about two weeks ago! For those of you guys still on the waitlist, I would make sure to send weekly emails to admissions reiterating that NYUCD is your first choice.

Congrats! I thought the wait list hasn't moved yet (at least till April)?

Members don't see this ad :)

I want to be leaf

Congrats! I thought the wait list hasn't moved yet (at least till April)?

Thanks! I guess that's the official rule? But I was definitely accepted off the waitlist lol and I made it very clear to the adcom that if I was given an offer of acceptance I would accept right away

Thanks! I guess that's the official rule? But I was definitely accepted off the waitlist lol and I made it very clear to the adcom that if I was given an offer of acceptance I would accept right away

Hey,

Did you have a pre-december interview? And did you simply re-send the same e-mail that just stated it's your first choice?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats!! Did you speak to someone specific/Dr. Mejia?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

Did you have a pre-december interview? And did you simply re-send the same e-mail that just stated it's your first choice?

Thanks in advance!

My interview was in September! And I didn't send the exact same email but just along with my update I would reiterate that I wanted to go to NYUCD.

Congrats!! Did you speak to someone specific/Dr. Mejia?

Thanks! I emailed the main NYU email and would CC Dr Meji on them!

I think they just really want to accept students who are serious about going, so if you can make that clear you are more likely to be taken off the waitlist

@RR1515
Thanks for answering our questions.
Did you ever fill out the Waitlist Response email form?
Also are you from NY/NJ area or are you from far away?

did you ever get a reply directly from Dr.Mejia by email? I'm not sure if sending to office email will have a higher chance to be seen by her or to her personal email.

@RR1515
Thanks for answering our questions.
Did you ever fill out the Waitlist Response email form?
Also are you from NY/NJ area or are you from far away?

No prob. I did fill out the waitlist response form, I am not from the area but I completed a masters in the area!

did you ever get a reply directly from Dr.Mejia by email? I'm not sure if sending to office email will have a higher chance to be seen by her or to her personal email.

I didn't get a direct response from her via email but I did get a call where she asked me if I was serious about wanting to go NYUCD etc

what email did u use to cc dr. mejia? also what were yr stats? @RR1515

[email protected] and my stats are 3.0 undergrad 3.7 grad gpa, 20 DAT

I didn't get a direct response from her via email but I did get a call where she asked me if I was serious about wanting to go NYUCD etc

[email protected] and my stats are 3.0 undergrad 3.7 grad gpa, 20 DAT
Emailing NYU once a week wasn't sufficient enough evidence that you were serious about attending?

I assume some people on the waitlist have priority acceptance over others because they were accepted prior to April. When I've asked the admissions they stated they don't consider the waitlist list until April.

I've never emailed Dr Mejia directly to her email because she never gave out her email address and it might seem rude. Did anyone else email her directly and received a favorable response?

I assume some people on the waitlist have priority acceptance over others because they were accepted prior to April. When I've asked the admissions they stated they don't consider the waitlist list until April.

I've never emailed Dr Mejia directly to her email because she never gave out her email address and it might seem rude. Did anyone else email her directly and received a favorable response?

Send her an email! From my experience Dr. Mejia is rly sweet and cares about her students. The adcom wants to accept people who truly would love to go to NYUCD. I don't think emailing her and also CCing the dental admissions email would hurt at all!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on January 19th. Waitlisted on February 1st. ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! After 6 letters of interest/intent AND 8 letters of recommendation, Dr. Mejia herself called me to interview me one last time on the phone before offering me a seat!! COMPLETE SHOCK AND FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

oGPA: 3.23
sGPA 3:18
AA: 23
TS: 23
PAT 21

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed on January 19th. Waitlisted on February 1st. ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! After 6 letters of interest/intent AND 8 letters of recommendation, Dr. Mejia herself called me to interview me one last time on the phone before offering me a seat!! COMPLETE SHOCK AND FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

PAT 21
To whom you said the intent letters?

PAT 21
What was phone interview like?

I am accepted today as well. Interviewed Dec,7th. Waitlisted a week later? Got phone call from Dr.Mejia around noon. I sent her an email to her direct address this Monday, which she told me she has seen it. Although no reply from her. It's very important to show them that NYU is your first choice and you would really love to go. I kept sending update emails since Mid-December, making phone call about once per two weeks, letter expressing my interest direct to Dr.Mejia's email occasionally without any reply so far.

oGPA :3.26
sGPA: 3.18 upper trend from a 1.9 semester :(
AA: 21
TS: 21
PAT: 21

@

cyclohexane101, I really hope you make it. Stay calm and tell them what you really think and how much you love the school. They really appreciate honest communication from us. They might not giving you a direct answer for your standing, but everything you have expressed is filed and they know it. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all the accepted waitlisters :) I hope I will be able to join the party too.

I am accepted today as well. Interviewed Dec,7th. Waitlisted a week later? Got phone call from Dr.Mejia around noon. I sent her an email to her direct address this Monday, which she told me she has seen it. Although no reply from her. It's very important to show them that NYU is your first choice and you would really love to go. I kept sending update emails since Mid-December, making phone call about once per two weeks, letter expressing my interest direct to Dr.Mejia's email occasionally without any reply so far.

oGPA :3.26
sGPA: 3.18 upper trend from a 1.9 semester :(
AA: 21
TS: 21
PAT: 21

@

cyclohexane101, I really hope you make it. Stay calm and tell them what you really think and how much you love the school. They really appreciate honest communication from us. They might not giving you a direct answer for your standing, but everything you have expressed is filed and they know it. Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words!

If anyone has any info or update regarding the waitlist please post!

Who's still on the wait list? I'm thinking the major wait list movement already happened:(

yes the waitlist did move and has in the last 2 years (check the threads) after the nyu spring break which was this past week. but it moves again in April and will continue to do so til Aug. it aint over till its over. use that hope to keep on going and keep improving dont let the stress dehabilitate u! (and even if u end up taking a gap year - its not the end of the world)

Most of the waitlist movement will happen soon. The people who consistently emailed and called the admissions officers every week or every other week were taken off the waitlist recently. I already gave this advice to multiple SDNers and it worked.

Most of the waitlist movement will happen soon. The people who consistently emailed and called the admissions officers every week or every other week were taken off the waitlist recently. I already gave this advice to multiple SDNers and it worked.

Those who got off the waitlist successfully were pre-December interviewees, correct?

Last edited:
Those who got off the waitlist successfully were pre-December interviewees, correct?

Some of them were post-Dec interviewees.

I have been in contact with the admissions every 2 weeks but no news for me :(

IMO every 2 weeks is too much. i aimed for 3 weeks to a month and got accepted! (but i doubt that factored in the decision though lol)

Yes. I would like to add that it is very important to be SINCERE as possible in your correspondences. Whether on the phone or through email they can tell. You really have to want to go to NYU.

I hope we can all go to NYU together. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Since the waitlist has moved much faster this year, does this mean that there will be fewer seats available and reduced-scale waitlist movement?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say so. Let's say even if the class is 95% full that's still almost 20 seats! Lots of time to still get in and that's not even counting people with multiple deposits (Apr 1). Keep foraging on your time will come.

Since the waitlist has moved much faster this year, does this mean that there will be fewer seats available and reduced-scale waitlist movement?
I doubt it. I didn't know the waitlist moved faster, but I do know that less people were interviewed. Not trying to give you false hope here, but both of those factors work in your favor.
All you can do at this point is keep making yourself more competitive. Although I hope it is not the case, the possibility exists that you may not be offered a seat. If that happens, you don't want to look back and say "I wish I didn't just wait around the last 6 months."
If you are offered a seat, you spent that time preparing yourself more. It's a win-win.
Keep in contact the way you've been doing in the past. Also, find the card of your Admissions Officer (your 2nd interviewer). Shoot them an email as well.
It is a stressful process, no doubt. The uncertainty of it really stinks, and most people know it. Best of luck to you!

Im sorry that was your experience. The process is pretty standard though. The second interview isn't really meant to be a "surprise" (see my last comment in this thread).
You can't really blame Dr. Mejia for thinking this way. There really is alot of misinformation on here, and people have a difficult time discriminating between the legitimate information, the ridiculous anecdotal stuff, the gunners trying to sway people away from here so they can get in, and the silly rumors like 15% of the class gets kicked out every year. lol it's ridiculous because the same people who say this also say that all the school cares about is money - well that would come out to almost half the class getting kicked out. That's just bad business practice if it were true. After a while of her hearing this sort of information about her school, I imagine it's frustrating for them.
Bottom line is that people need to have a little more common sense when seeking this sort of info. And if there is something concerning they would like to confirm, don't ask the Dean; there are other people to ask.

Just finished my interview today! Everyone in my group had an interviewer that pretty much followed the standard NYU template. I strongly recommend future applicants prepare answers to the "13 questions" list posted on https://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/nyucd/0/new-york-university-college-of-dentistry?reload=1&r=1490643865198.

That said, my interviewer completely ditched the standard questions. The interview was conversational, and we definitely made a personal connection. At one point, he even said that I reminded him of himself! At that moment I thought "holy ****, I might actually get into NYU." An hour later...the **** hit the fan.

What was labeled an "informal meeting with admissions staff" definitely caught me off guard. After reviewing my prerequisite coursework together (which is what I thought we'd do), the staff member all of a sudden grilled me with a couple quick interview questions (that maybe my interviewer didn't fill out due to our conversational interview?). I later confirmed with another interviewer that a surprise-interview happened to him too. I don't think she was particularly impressed by my answers and now I'm worried because she is an ADMISSIONS staff member after all. On a similar note, the tour guides (3rd and 4th year students) swore to us that they would not report anything we say/do back to admissions (best to stay on your best behavior of course). I feel like the interview day is designed to be bad cop (formal interview) then good cop (informal interview).

It was pretty cool to see our God (Dr. Eugenia Mejia) in person, but she doesn't love us back :bigtears:. She even made a point of saying SDN is filled with misinformation & trolls :troll: :welcome::rofl:.She even recommended a better, trustworthy forum! She definitely knows the game. I feel like the second she reads that i-heart-NYU email, she labels you an SDN-er (I don't think emailing hurts your case though). The best part was when she said we'll hear back soon. She said "possibly by the end of the week."

Previously, I planned on emailing my interviewer afterwards just for the sake of following the proper interview etiquette. NYU is a top choice (& my only interview after all). I just feel like it would be so awkward to email my interviewer since it was obvious we made a connection? It'd be like emailing your friend and saying "Nice to meet you, stranger." :confused:

Good luck with the rest of the process.
Did they mention anything about the waitlist?