1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Discussion in 'School Specific Discussions' started by thenextcarnegie, Jun 17, 2018.

1. dentistkoala

I don't understand that rejection. I've still heard nothing and no change on the portal with significantly lower stats

Faefly, Clara1234 and rushman like this.
  2. smo629

I'm sorry! :(
    When was your application submitted/complete?

3. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Stats aren’t everything. Most schools look holistically now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    vano417 likes this.
  4. dentistkoala

Agreed, but someone who has put so much effort into stats likely has put effort into ECs... but maybe that's too big an assumption

Faefly likes this.
  5. HB17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Rejected without an interview as well. Goodluck to everyone who's still in the race!

Thank you for your interest throughout this cycle
    The Committee's review process is holistic, meaning we look at every part of every application to consider each applicant's strengths and weaknesses. As such, it is difficult to pinpoint one reason for any student's final decision and we are unable to provide specific feedback regarding your application. In general, our program is rigorous and competitive as we receive several thousand applications for a few hundred spots.

We would welcome your reapplication for next year. We would ask that you work on strengthening your overall application. This could include taking science courses in a postbaccalaureate or Master's program to raise your GPA and show your dedication to your continued education. We would recommend that you strive for a B+ minimum grade in each course. You may also consider retaking the DAT. The average DAT score of successful applicants is 20-21 on each section; the average GPA is 3.5 and the average science GPA is 3.34. While these are not minimums, they are the benchmark of a competitive application.

To further strengthen your application, you may want to consider pursuing additional experiences such as research, shadowing hours, or service. Especially when they pertain to the sciences in general or dentistry specifically, your experiences can reflect well on your application. Finally, as the interview is an important component of the committee's final decision, you should be as well prepared as possible for it. If offered an interview during next cycle, we would recommend that you prepare yourself to articulate your desire to become a dentist and to attend NYU Dentistry.

vano417 likes this.
  6. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    That’s a very thorough rejection letter ... best of luck in all your future endeavors. Trust the process & believe god has a plan

HB17 likes this.
  7. maltese01

tell her to contact the school and ask them why she was rejected prior to interviewing. The same thing happened to me for a different school and I emailed them asking why I was rejected prior to interviewing me. They emailed back saying it probably is a mistake and will resubmit my application. after a month I heard back and was invited to interview. Don't lose hope! the admissions committee are human and mistakes do happen. her stats are great so it might be a mistake!

8. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

there's a reason why the average gpa of students who matriculate to NYU is a ~3.4
    they cant accept only the 3.8+s.

they interview and accept students with stats well below 3.8 as well hence you get the 3.4 average...
    honestly there's a lot of luck that comes into play here too. there's just too many applications

9. dentistkoala

Yes, it is clear that they don't only take 3.8+ with evidence of the average of 3.49. However, I don't understand why. Like you said there are so many applications. With such a volume, there is very likely over 400 applicants with 3.8+ GPAs, high DAT scores and good ECs. For them all not to matriculate is confusing

10. Faefly

Faefly I am a Naruto fan Now!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am sorry about your rejection. I just feel this is way too early for NYU to send rejections to people. I hope you get accepted elsewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    HB17 likes this.
  11. a·mal·gama991

hey all! I live in the city and was wondering if it would be weird if I stopped by NYUCD and tried to talk to someone from admissions. I just wanted to go in and introduce myself and ask some questions. I have still not received an interview and have descent stats so I just want to give it my all before having any regrets. lmk what you guys think because I also don't want to mess up my chances at an interview.

vano417 likes this.
  12. Johnwickk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey do you mind sharing your stats?

#312 Johnwickk, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:38 AM
  13. Punt me

From my interview, we were told that about 300 acceptances have been sent out in December.

I interviewed in January. Accepted 2 days after. My GPA is not good at all, probably one of the lowest in acceptances.

jerabad26 likes this.
  14. Mr_Sheepington

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just curious, do you mind telling what it was? Glanced at this school before.

15. Punt me

Yeah, just msg me.

16. RedRocket69

• I was accepted on Thursday morning. My GPA is 3.0 cumulative 3.1 science. DAT taken once got 20AA 18PAT 20TS 19 Reading 22 Math. Submitted my application in October. Grades are not everything. Personal statement and letters of recc really helped me I believe.

jerabad26 and Lynndent like this.
  17. dentistkoala

Wow you give us hope! Congrats!

18. GVDental

How was the interview ? What type of questions do they ask if you mind me asking. Mine is on Thursday .. pretty nervous

19. Deep State

Pre-Medical
    Hi Swampis,

Would you mind sharing me approximately when you submitted your application and when did you receive your interview invite to NYU last year?
    I'm also a Canadian applicant, I submitted my app in July, been waiting ever since. My status on the portal still says: "Your application is complete and under review". Now it is around January, i'm getting anxious. My Gap is around 3.7, DAT with 22 AA, 21 PAT. yet still no invite.

My question is, do Canadian students get their invites late?

20. Swampis

Dental Student
    Your stats are very good I would be suprised if you did not get an invite and I am not sure if they give out international invites later on or not. But my stats were 3.6 gpa and 23 AA and I submitted in August and did not hear back for an interview until February. I did not hear back from lots of American schools till post Dec. Also, NYU like accepting Canadian students as well since most likely we would go back to Canada after finishing our degree here. So don't worry too much!

21. sosineedhelp

Pre-Dental
    have you guys been emailing the officers or adding updates to the portal

22. jankodejenko

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know if they review the app before submitting the 80$ additional fee? Found out today I did not submit mine, and it's been a few months since I submitted the AADSAS application. That way I can just cancel the online transaction ASAP.

23. dentistkoala

pretty sure they don't. Did you get a portal account (if I remember correctly that's given after the fee is paid)? The portal is where you check your status. Not having an account likely means you're not under review

24. bracesforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe that they will not review your application until you pay the supplemental

25. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    I got a specific request after the fact that I emailed him a. Thank you letter from my interviewer to not email him as it wasn’t welcomed.....lol however some girl said her interviewer gave her his card... so I guess it’s just preference but I found out the hard way. I would just stay safe and upload to portal and then call to verify they received it

26. bracesforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You emailed your interviewer and he said not to email him? I thought NYU admissions is usually open and favors applicants contacting them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

27. Johnwickk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi any updates from anyone recently? It's been pretty quiet this week lol

nervouspredent and bracesforever like this.
  28. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    Actually yes lol. I was very Put off by his attitude (the committee member interviewer) even in the interview he was really trying to be very like technical. It wasn’t the best interview I had but I went with it. I’m powerless. But yeah for future reference just to be safe unless your interviewer gives you a reference contact to contact them Do not email them personally.

dentistkoala likes this.
  29. bracesforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good to know. thanks for sharing!

30. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor

Dental Student
    While I understand your hesitation, I don't think that's very good advice. While emails post-interview probably mean nothing, I wouldn't persuade others from not contacting interviewers just because you had 1 bad experience.

I've had several interviews and I've never received any emails like yours before, with or without them giving me their contact info.

99% of the time, they won't even respond to you.

31. gooz26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am so eager to go here! i have been on the waitlist since dec 1...i have sent letter. looking to send another or maybe just contact? anything helps. any previous/current waitlist applicant tips?

thank you and good luck to all!

nervouspredent likes this.
  32. bracesforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I’m waitlisted as well since December

33. sportfan6197

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Interviewed monday. Accepted today.

jerabad26 likes this.
  34. bracesforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Did they mention how many spots are available?

35. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    Lmao tbh I don’t think you think anything I say on here is “good”. It’s a forum for information - in the form of an opinion or not. If people are asking it’s becsuse they’re asking you to share your opinion from experience. That’s what I have to offer. Trust me I am not someone to discourage others from doing something just because I couldn’t in the same way I’ve never been unmotivated or reluctant to try because I saw someone else hesitate. That’s the difference between information and opinion. There’s no need for you to comment on everything I post here and if you’d like to keep in touch let’s chat I can give you my number.

nervouspredent and dentistkoala like this.
  36. GVDental

hey, my interview is on friday. Any tips/ quesions they asked you ?

37. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    You should know all about information you gave me a bunch of it on the MPH

38. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    Absolutely. Happy to share my experience

39. Punt me

There is a difference in telling something as if it's a fact for all (from your experience or not) or opinion. What you said was very assertive. You could try changing your tone? Everyone's input is valuable, but you shouldn't tone it to say your opinion or experience is "all that."

smo629 and Miss Resilience like this.
  40. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    My opinion actually was “all of” what the person was asking. And that’s the problem. “Tone” as you put it gets lost in translation when you write things online. I don’t know why y’all get so caught up I’m dotting i’s and crossing t’s and being so politically correct and technical. This is public domain.. a forum where I’m allowed to say what I want when I want to. There’s moderators on here for the reason that if anything said is inappropriate then it would be dealt with accordingly. The other person who was disturbed or “disagreed” or however you put it with my experience strength and hope for others was already on me about other OPINIONS And choices I have as a candidate. One of those choices is the ability to free exercise my speech and serve to others through my experience. That’s the problem. Too many people on here relying on heresay and what happened to him and her and well oh I’ve heard this that. I just come on this forum for information ... not for suggestions. Because I feel secure enough within myself to advocate and ask questions to people who I know will have definitive answers. Mind you - I asked Dr. Mejia before leaving my interview where we should direct thank you letters to and she simply said an email would be sent out with the names of the AdCom members. I’m definitely not trying to discourage anyone from doing anything but you guys have forgotten that my opinion and experience is just that — Mine. In the same light I’m impressed by how much you value them both to hold them to such a high regard as to correct me for the way I “presented” it. It is what it is... take it or don’t but that’s MY experience.

41. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    & it was assertive because it was absolutely fact. It absolutely happened. Weather or not she chooses to take from my experience and yield caution to her own is her decision. People make decisions for themselves you know. And despite how assertive you feel like my statement was, instead of “feeling”, just take it for what it is. Good bad or indifferent it has nothing to do with you.

42. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    And I agree . Input is valuable but I’m not responsible for how you feel because of something I said or what she chooses to do in light of it.

43. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor

Dental Student
    You couldn't fit that all into 1 response? :zip:

Miss Resilience likes this.
  44. firstimpressions

Anyone know when they will start taking people off the waitlist?

nervouspredent likes this.
  45. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    Lol yeah that’s what I thought you’d come back with ...

46. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor

Dental Student
    You weren’t even responding to me though?

47. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    so don’t you think you should mind your business? If you found the information helpful and if the shoe fits wear it

48. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor

Dental Student
    No because you’re actually giving poor advice based off of one bad experience.

It’s not helpful for anybody.

49. vano417

vano417 (DDS)loading...

Pre-Dental
    Lmao you’re pathetic. Good luck in dentistry

50. Iroh

Iroh SDN Bronze Donor

Dental Student
    I see why your interviewer told you not to contact them - yikes