You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
****The Official OHSU Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****
Started by experiment626
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Since you received that "soft rejection email", did you ever receive a rejection letter? Have you called them to see what that email was about and the meaning behind it?I got the same msg on my aadsas, but I got the soft rejection email. OoS.
Since you received that "soft rejection email", did you ever receive a rejection letter? Have you called them to see what that email was about and the meaning behind it?
No rejection letter yet, and I haven't called them. Judging by last year's thread, it's a soft rejection msg, but I suppose there's always hope.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I decided to give a breakdown of each one of my interviews to help out anyone who interviews after I do, so here goes!
OHSU was definitely the school I knew the least about going into the interview. I had no idea what the interview was going to be like or really anything about their process. I arrived a little early, the interview starts at 9, and took a seat in room 601. There only wound up being 2 other candidates today, so OHSU definitely interviews the smallest group I have yet to see or hear about. After we three were seated and got to know each other we were given paperwork to fill out (Academic Honesty Policies and the like) and a writing portion. The writing portion was different for each of us and you are essentially given a half hour to write half of a page. We all finished in no more than 10 minutes. My question was, "What do you look for when choosing a friend?" They are pretty straight forward and a test to see whether you can actually write coherently and legibly I'm sure.
Then at 9:30 we met with Mark (no idea what his last name was) who went over the changes being made to the school, reasons OHSU is the right choice, Financial Aid, etc... He was very kind and personable and we all got along really well. We went a little long, but at 10 (we were more around 10:15) you are given the opportunity to go and shadow in the clinic, which is a pretty novel opportunity, although the OMFS had no patients and I felt like we were in the way in the general clinic, oh well! We used the time more as a tour, rather than get up and personal with shadowing.
Next was the interview. You half 2 half-hour interviews with 2 separate faculty members (I was under the initial impression that it was an hour long interview in front of a panel, but I was very wrong). I interviewed with a Dr. Katancik and Dr. Pfeiffer. Both were quite conversational and I really wasn't asked anything difficult. I was asked "Why dentistry? If I asked your friends to describe you what would they say? Do you plan to specialize? What was Panama like? Do you plan on doing research if you are accepted? What kind of woodworking do you do?" Everything else was pretty light conversation, and they seemed to tailor their questions towards the individual application rather than general questions. Just know your app and be coherent and you'll be fine. They really just want to get to know you. Also, for those of you worried about the lack of pre-December interviews, don't be worried. They said that they will have only interviewed 30-36 candidates by December 2nd, and if about half accept then you're still looking at 60 vacancies in the OHSU program. They started interviewing late and their small interview candidate sizes means they will probably be slowly interviewing until about March or April. So don't worry everyone if this is your dream school!
Then I had a nice taco salad lunch with a dental student, and we talked about the school and life goals. Then he took me on a tour of the school and we finished at 1. Then I was given the option to go on another tour with another student or sit in on a lecture, so I chose to take another more in-depth tour since the class I was interested in shadowing was cancelled. He let me try on his loupes and check out his set typodants and whatnot. We also took the aerial tram to the gym and got a nice view of Portland. We got back around 2 and that was the end of the interview day. It was seriously very relaxed and they pretty much let you go wherever you want without too many restrictions. The tour is a little moot since the new school will be opened next year and you won't spend too much time in the current dental school anymore. Overall, it was a great experience and Oregon is a terrifically beautiful place for those who have applied that aren't Oregonians.
Good luck everyone and if you have any other questions regarding the interview process or OHSU PM me. I would be happy to correspond. My flight is leaving now so I'm not going to proofread this. Good luck!
Good luck everyone
OHSU was definitely the school I knew the least about going into the interview. I had no idea what the interview was going to be like or really anything about their process. I arrived a little early, the interview starts at 9, and took a seat in room 601. There only wound up being 2 other candidates today, so OHSU definitely interviews the smallest group I have yet to see or hear about. After we three were seated and got to know each other we were given paperwork to fill out (Academic Honesty Policies and the like) and a writing portion. The writing portion was different for each of us and you are essentially given a half hour to write half of a page. We all finished in no more than 10 minutes. My question was, "What do you look for when choosing a friend?" They are pretty straight forward and a test to see whether you can actually write coherently and legibly I'm sure.
Then at 9:30 we met with Mark (no idea what his last name was) who went over the changes being made to the school, reasons OHSU is the right choice, Financial Aid, etc... He was very kind and personable and we all got along really well. We went a little long, but at 10 (we were more around 10:15) you are given the opportunity to go and shadow in the clinic, which is a pretty novel opportunity, although the OMFS had no patients and I felt like we were in the way in the general clinic, oh well! We used the time more as a tour, rather than get up and personal with shadowing.
Next was the interview. You half 2 half-hour interviews with 2 separate faculty members (I was under the initial impression that it was an hour long interview in front of a panel, but I was very wrong). I interviewed with a Dr. Katancik and Dr. Pfeiffer. Both were quite conversational and I really wasn't asked anything difficult. I was asked "Why dentistry? If I asked your friends to describe you what would they say? Do you plan to specialize? What was Panama like? Do you plan on doing research if you are accepted? What kind of woodworking do you do?" Everything else was pretty light conversation, and they seemed to tailor their questions towards the individual application rather than general questions. Just know your app and be coherent and you'll be fine. They really just want to get to know you. Also, for those of you worried about the lack of pre-December interviews, don't be worried. They said that they will have only interviewed 30-36 candidates by December 2nd, and if about half accept then you're still looking at 60 vacancies in the OHSU program. They started interviewing late and their small interview candidate sizes means they will probably be slowly interviewing until about March or April. So don't worry everyone if this is your dream school!
Then I had a nice taco salad lunch with a dental student, and we talked about the school and life goals. Then he took me on a tour of the school and we finished at 1. Then I was given the option to go on another tour with another student or sit in on a lecture, so I chose to take another more in-depth tour since the class I was interested in shadowing was cancelled. He let me try on his loupes and check out his set typodants and whatnot. We also took the aerial tram to the gym and got a nice view of Portland. We got back around 2 and that was the end of the interview day. It was seriously very relaxed and they pretty much let you go wherever you want without too many restrictions. The tour is a little moot since the new school will be opened next year and you won't spend too much time in the current dental school anymore. Overall, it was a great experience and Oregon is a terrifically beautiful place for those who have applied that aren't Oregonians.
Good luck everyone and if you have any other questions regarding the interview process or OHSU PM me. I would be happy to correspond. My flight is leaving now so I'm not going to proofread this. Good luck!
Good luck everyone
Did you happen to get any insight into this "soft rejection email"? Is it a 'rejection' or a 'putting your application until later'?Hello everyone, I decided to give a breakdown of each one of my interviews to help out anyone who interviews after I do, so here goes!
OHSU was definitely the school I knew the least about going into the interview. I had no idea what the interview was going to be like or really anything about their process. I arrived a little early, the interview starts at 9, and took a seat in room 601. There only wound up being 2 other candidates today, so OHSU definitely interviews the smallest group I have yet to see or hear about. After we three were seated and got to know each other we were given paperwork to fill out (Academic Honesty Policies and the like) and a writing portion. The writing portion was different for each of us and you are essentially given a half hour to write half of a page. We all finished in no more than 10 minutes. My question was, "What do you look for when choosing a friend?" They are pretty straight forward and a test to see whether you can actually write coherently and legibly I'm sure.
Then at 9:30 we met with Mark (no idea what his last name was) who went over the changes being made to the school, reasons OHSU is the right choice, Financial Aid, etc... He was very kind and personable and we all got along really well. We went a little long, but at 10 (we were more around 10:15) you are given the opportunity to go and shadow in the clinic, which is a pretty novel opportunity, although the OMFS had no patients and I felt like we were in the way in the general clinic, oh well! We used the time more as a tour, rather than get up and personal with shadowing.
Next was the interview. You half 2 half-hour interviews with 2 separate faculty members (I was under the initial impression that it was an hour long interview in front of a panel, but I was very wrong). I interviewed with a Dr. Katancik and Dr. Pfeiffer. Both were quite conversational and I really wasn't asked anything difficult. I was asked "Why dentistry? If I asked your friends to describe you what would they say? Do you plan to specialize? What was Panama like? Do you plan on doing research if you are accepted? What kind of woodworking do you do?" Everything else was pretty light conversation, and they seemed to tailor their questions towards the individual application rather than general questions. Just know your app and be coherent and you'll be fine. They really just want to get to know you. Also, for those of you worried about the lack of pre-December interviews, don't be worried. They said that they will have only interviewed 30-36 candidates by December 2nd, and if about half accept then you're still looking at 60 vacancies in the OHSU program. They started interviewing late and their small interview candidate sizes means they will probably be slowly interviewing until about March or April. So don't worry everyone if this is your dream school!
Then I had a nice taco salad lunch with a dental student, and we talked about the school and life goals. Then he took me on a tour of the school and we finished at 1. Then I was given the option to go on another tour with another student or sit in on a lecture, so I chose to take another more in-depth tour since the class I was interested in shadowing was cancelled. He let me try on his loupes and check out his set typodants and whatnot. We also took the aerial tram to the gym and got a nice view of Portland. We got back around 2 and that was the end of the interview day. It was seriously very relaxed and they pretty much let you go wherever you want without too many restrictions. The tour is a little moot since the new school will be opened next year and you won't spend too much time in the current dental school anymore. Overall, it was a great experience and Oregon is a terrifically beautiful place for those who have applied that aren't Oregonians.
Good luck everyone and if you have any other questions regarding the interview process or OHSU PM me. I would be happy to correspond. My flight is leaving now so I'm not going to proofread this. Good luck!
Good luck everyone
Did you happen to get any insight into this "soft rejection email"? Is it a 'rejection' or a 'putting your application until later'?
I did not inquire or find out anything about the "soft rejection" email. Sorry!
Hey everyone,
I had my interview today, and it went GREAT! I really love this school and am excited for what will come! They did mention that so far 40 applicants have been interview about, and that they will continue to fill their class through March
So be patient everyone!
I had my interview today, and it went GREAT! I really love this school and am excited for what will come! They did mention that so far 40 applicants have been interview about, and that they will continue to fill their class through March
So be patient everyone!
Last edited:
Why are they so slow in their interviewing? Doesn't it put them at a disadvantage, if most competitive applicants would have already interviewed and accepted a spot at another school before OHSU even get around to interviewing them?
I talked to a member of the admissions committee on the phone and they stated that "no further action" was merely a hold. I think they just want to make sure they get people who really want to go to OHSU.
Has anyone received any update from OHSU? It's so quiet here!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my acceptance at 10:28pm! So excited!! Cant wait to confirm my spot!
OHSU Class of 2018!
OHSU Class of 2018!
Thanks for that input!I talked to a member of the admissions committee on the phone and they stated that "no further action" was merely a hold. I think they just want to make sure they get people who really want to go to OHSU.
So after 3 months of silence I got a "competitive pool" email just now...This thread has been awfully quiet and it seems only 2 people have been accepted so far...? Is there anyone here who's got this email but still haven't heard anything? Not sure if I should get my hopes up for an interview /:
So after 3 months of silence I got a "competitive pool" email just now...This thread has been awfully quiet and it seems only 2 people have been accepted so far...? Is there anyone here who's got this email but still haven't heard anything? Not sure if I should get my hopes up for an interview /:
I just got that email too. I wasn't sure if this was a competitive pool email. Lets cross our fingers
For those of you who have been accepted to OHSU and plan on attending, here's the link to the Class of 2018's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ohsusod2018/
Just request to join and we'll let you in! Good luck to all of you!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ohsusod2018/
Just request to join and we'll let you in! Good luck to all of you!
So after 3 months of silence I got a "competitive pool" email just now...This thread has been awfully quiet and it seems only 2 people have been accepted so far...? Is there anyone here who's got this email but still haven't heard anything? Not sure if I should get my hopes up for an interview /:
Got the "highly competitive pool" email yesterday too. I am not sure whether there are different pools, but I guess it is more likely for us to get an interview. I think that they are waiting for academic updates.
Last edited:
I also received the competitive applicant email last night. However, if a interview offer would come my way I will decline.
It's a shame they are so slow to get going, I would have given them a much stronger consideration.
It's a shame they are so slow to get going, I would have given them a much stronger consideration.
Ya I got this email on Oct 15, Still haven't heard anything!!Got the "highly competitive pool" email yesterday too. I am not sure whether there are different pools, but I guess it is more likely for us to get an interview. I think that they are waiting for academic updates.
Got the "highly competitive pool" email yesterday too. I am not sure whether there are different pools, but I guess it is more likely for us to get an interview. I think that they are waiting for academic updates.
That is a good email to receive! I received that email back in November, and was invited for an interview and have been admitted
I got the same email around October and I have not heard anything back. Are you instate or OOS?
I got the same email around October and I have not heard anything back. Are you instate or OOS?That is a good email to receive! I received that email back in November, and was invited for an interview and have been admitted
I got the same email around October and I have not heard anything back. Are you instate or OOS?
I actually got the email in October too, I just checked. And I am in state.
Oh My Gosh, I just want an interview so I can visit Portland... Portland is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Oh My Gosh, I just want an interview so I can visit Portland... Portland is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Good luck! Just be patient!
I interviewed at OHSU last Friday (12/13/13) and I received my acceptance yesterday (12/16/13). If anyone wants to know .. I am an OOS applicant.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at OHSU last Friday (12/13/13) and I received my acceptance yesterday (12/16/13). If anyone wants to know .. I am an OOS applicant.
Congrats! Make sure to join the Facebook group if you decide to attend OHSU!
Thanks for the feedback. May I ask you when you got the interview call?I interviewed at OHSU last Friday (12/13/13) and I received my acceptance yesterday (12/16/13). If anyone wants to know .. I am an OOS applicant.
I received an e-mail inviting me to interview at OHSU on November 19, 2013. I had to call them to schedule the interview date.
Any new invites?
That's awesome osu12345! Good luck!
Is there anyone who got the "competitive letter" that never got an interview last year??
Is there anyone who got the "competitive letter" that never got an interview last year??
I think someone earlier mentioned that he received the competitive email last year and never had an interview
was he in state or OOS?I think someone earlier mentioned that he received the competitive email last year and never had an interview
OOS I thinkwas he in state or OOS?
Are they still giving out invites?
Yes! I interviewed there recently and they said the end of january and through february are their busiest months for interviews. They will keep extending interview invites until the class is filled. So far there are around 35 of the 75 seats filled I believe.
Good Luck to all of you! Be patient as OHSU tends to be slow! If you have any questions about Portland or the application process please dont hesitate to ask. I got to see the new building and may I just say that it is AMAZING!
How is the clinical experience? Is there a shortage of patients? Heard some students have been complaining about the curriculum difficulty and wanted to know whether that has changed?Good Luck to all of you! Be patient as OHSU tends to be slow! If you have any questions about Portland or the application process please dont hesitate to ask. I got to see the new building and may I just say that it is AMAZING!
How is the clinical experience? Is there a shortage of patients? Heard some students have been complaining about the curriculum difficulty and wanted to know whether that has changed?
I am not to sure. As I will be a starting in August for class of 2018. I have talked to my friends who are currently first years and they havent complained. I have heard they are a very clinical focused school which is why I chose it. As to patients I doubt there will be a shortage since the new building is very much accessible by public transit compared to the current facility.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply!Yes! I interviewed there recently and they said the end of january and through february are their busiest months for interviews. They will keep extending interview invites until the class is filled. So far there are around 35 of the 75 seats filled I believe.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 65
- Views
- 20K