****The Official Oregon (OHSU) Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I interviewed yesterday and loved the school! They just got back to me today with an acceptance! I’m out of state and I really appreciate how quickly they made a decision! They said they have anywhere between 10-25 seats to fill just depending on how many people they have reached out to decide to put deposits down before the deadline. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a conversation with Mark today about the application process. He was very nice, but I am heartbroken as it sounds like OHSU does not review applications very holistically. From my understanding GPA is a high priority, and there is little consideration for the type of major (other than science vs non-science), extracurriculars or the course-load. I was hoping that with my experiences and extracurriculars I would be able to be more selective with schools I applied to, unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. Since GPA is such a big factor (and happens to be my only weakness) does anybody have any suggestions for schools that take a more holistic approach to their review process, and might give Oregon residents a shot?

Residency:
Oregon
Application complete date: application fee received 8/6
Major/courseload: Microbiology w/ Chemistry minor – academic scholarship min of 15 hours/term
GPA (science, non-science, overall): 3.18, 3.93, 3.32
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 21/19/26
Extracurriculars: Collegiate Athlete - 4 hrs/weekday and additional recruiting or travel on weekends. Microbiology Lab TA.
Volunteering: Many hours - Mobile Dental Van as a Dental Assistant, Blood Drives, Tutor, etc.
Shadowing: 200+ hours: general, ortho and perio. Also, took a tour of a dental lab and attended OHSU's Dive Into Dentistry Program.
Work Experience: Working as a Dental Assistant

Mark made it sound like this cycle is significantly more competitive than last year. Last year a 3.22 was considered “competitive,” this year you need to have something somewhere higher than a 3.32. He said they are about halfway through this cycle, but made it sound like a low GPA meant your chances were extraordinarily slim.

Hi,
Yes I agree with you, OHSU is not very holistic when it comes to GPA. GPA is probably the biggest factor that they consider. This is due to some students in the previous years not being able to follow/catch up the rigorous class load. This year, I believe there are a total of 10 students that are being questioned because of their grades/deferrals. Thus, I understand where admissions are coming from. But I am in the same boat too, my GPA is not excellent so I wish they could still see everything equally.
With this year, it looks like there's about 10 people for out of state, and about 20 people left for in-state (there are 23 Oregon residents admitted but a goal of about 50). So far there about 44 "upcoming" students already. Remember, some of these students might drop out! Also, it is said that this cycle has less Oregon residents applying. Therefore, you have a greater chance!

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we hear about our financial aid packet?
They said the next email correspondence would be in April. So I am guessing soon? Although they aren’t in office anymore due to the COVID-19 situation. So I am unsure if that will still happen.

Interviewed this week and got accepted yesterday!! There’s still hope so good luck to everyone!

Just got this email from OHSU:
IMG_2769.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hello,
I am an African American Woman and I looked at the 2019/2020 stats for incoming African Americans. There was 0.
However, the admission officer Mark Mitchell came to a recruitment fair June 2019 that was a minority based program. I am wondering can someone speak on their experience when applying, interviewing, etc?
honestly, Just would like more insight on the welcoming of African Americans before I spend my money on this school

I received an interview invite a couple of days ago... which was a pleasant surprise. If I do get accepted (which would be wonderful) I would have to move across the country which is totally fine. I am however wondering when I would have to be "local" and when loans are disbursed. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if you can become a resident and receive in-state tuition after your first year? Thank you for any insights :) :)

I received an interview invite a couple of days ago... which was a pleasant surprise. If I do get accepted (which would be wonderful) I would have to move across the country which is totally fine. I am however wondering when I would have to be "local" and when loans are disbursed. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if you can become a resident and receive in-state tuition after your first year? Thank you for any insights :) :)

You’d need to be here early August I believe. Not sure when exactly. You can’t get instate tuition after the first year unfortunately. Good luck with your interview!

You’d need to be here early August I believe. Not sure when exactly. You can’t get instate tuition after the first year unfortunately. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks ! :)