The Official StepI "Pimp each other" thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

To keep our brains well tuned for stepI in the upcoming months, who else is up for some quizzing while we're on SDN?

I'll start: (answers to follow)

1. Arthritis is characteristic of what stage of Lyme Disease?

2. Which autosomal trisomy is characterized by polydactyly, microphthalmia, umbilical hernia and cleft lip?

Members don't see this ad.

carrigallen said:
:thumbup: Also probably because there is no prekallikrein release from the atrophied pancreas. Good question. In general, you could also treat the pseudo with:

Piperacillin (a penicillin)
Cefepime (2nd gen cef)

If B-lactam resistance:
Imipenem/cilastatin
Meropenem
Cipro

Actually you wouldn't give Piperacilin, you would give Zosyn Piperacillin/tazobactam combo, and Cefepime is not a 2nd but 4th generation ceph. Finally, you wouldn't treat pseudomonas with Cipro, resistance develops too quickly. Pseudomonas is really a two drug bug. Also what about AG, Tobramycin, would be used inevitably.

What antiviral drug inhibits mitochondrial DNA synthesis?

A 29 year old sexually active overweight woman presents with vaginal discharge, abdominal pain, and dysuria. An antibiotic is prescribed and symptoms abate, however the woman returns complaining of a severe headache, nausea, and diplopia. The most likely antibiotic prescribed was:

a. Erythromycin
b. Azithromycin
c. Metronidazole
d. Tetracycline
e. Ciprofloxacin

Members don't see this ad :)
02115 said:
A 29 year old sexually active overweight woman presents with vaginal discharge, abdominal pain, and dysuria. An antibiotic is prescribed and symptoms abate, however the woman returns complaining of a severe headache, nausea, and diplopia. The most likely antibiotic prescribed was:

a. Erythromycin
b. Azithromycin
c. Metronidazole
d. Tetracycline
e. Ciprofloxacin

C - Disulfiram effect of Metro.

02115 said:

a. Erythromycin
b. Azithromycin
c. Metronidazole
d. Tetracycline
e. Ciprofloxacin

Most common causes of PID in women are gonococci and Chlamydia spp.
For gonococci > Cipro
For Chlamydia > Tetracyclines
Vision problems can be seen in tetracyclines, so I would choose D

a. Erythromycin
b. Azithromycin
c. Metronidazole
d. Tetracycline
e. Ciprofloxacin

I like this thread...

My first thought on this question was definitely pseudotumor cerebri (overweight young woman with HA/nausea/diplopia...) PTC is classically caused by tetracyclines. So I'd go with D.

Whether or not that was the right drug to prescribe is a different question :cool: