***The Official UNC SoD Class of 2019 Thread***

Has anyone heard if the 3rd round of interview invites have gone out?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard if the 3rd round of interview invites have gone out?
As far as I know they have not yet, but I'm not 100%. I'm eagerly awaiting haha. The alert from your post gave me a good scare though. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I received an invite this morning :). I can't wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invite at 10:20am, for November 8th. I'm in-state, 22AA/21TS/19PAT, can't remember the rest, or AADSAS gpas. See you all there. =)

Got an invite yesterday as well. So excited! Does anyone know how the interview process is structured?

Wow, crickets in here. @egbarea, I'll do my best, from memory. You're split up into several smaller groups, and you do the following things in some scheduled order...

(removed, since these threads live forever, and this information may get stale.)

Last edited:
Wow, crickets in here. @egbarea, I'll do my best, from memory. You're split up into several smaller groups, and you do the following things in some scheduled order:

1) student interview
2) tour of the school
3) faculty interview
4) group Q&A with current students (bring questions)
5) presentation from the Dean of Admissions
6) second faculty interview

So 3 individual interviews, 2 of which are with faculty, 20 or so minutes apiece (or 30?), and a few group activities. There's a little down time in between. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning. Bring gum to help with coffee stains on your teeth.

The interviewers will be very pleasant people, it won't be a nightmarish minefield like you may have heard about from elsewhere. The more conversational you can make it, the better, in general, but draw everything back to dentistry. Memorize the list of people you shadowed, be prepared to talk about things you mentioned in you personal statement and supplemental, and to talk a little about your journey. The link on the first page is pretty good for specific questions:
http://dentabroad.com/2009/08/top-10-interview-questions-dental.html

Hope that helps.

What was your impression of UNC?

What was your impression of UNC?
I loved the place, I don't know how anyone wouldn't. They have a new building, new clinical area, every specialty right there in the building, great faculty. My interviewers were nice enough that it had a calming effect, but I don't think that's necessarily unique. The students really stole the show there, though. The group leader was dynamic, upbeat and helpful - had a slightly irreverent sense of humor during his presentation describing student life, which was funny. They were very impressive.

As for the area, I'm biased. I went to undergrad in Chapel Hill, so I already love it. Basketball season ought to be fun this year. For OOS candidates, this might be convincing:
http://ui.uncc.edu/story/charlotte-and-raleigh-are-fastest-growing-large-cities-un-projections

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill are part of the Research Triangle. It's a great place to live and explore for 4 years. To get away, Wrightsville Beach and Boone are a day trip away. I don't know if they talk about all that in the presentation or not, but I can throw out a few more details later.

Reactions: 1 users
What a beautiful school and state, really blew me away.

Still no word from UNC, but in preparing for another school's interview I'm realizing that reviewing my UNC supplemental app is the best interview prep out there! I wrote a book.

Reactions: 2 users
So will there be any more interview dates or was the third date the last?

Members don't see this ad :)
what does everyone's status on adea say anyway? for those that have been interviewed.

DECEMBER 2, 2014
SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THEIR ADMISSION

As indicated on their website. Wont find out anything on the first, so nobody freakout!

Their handout at the interview said no earlier than Dec 1st though. I took the website to be from last years cycle. Time will tell I guess!

I emailed Ms. Oakes a few days ago and she said acceptances would be going out on December 1st but could carry into the 2nd if they can't get in touch with everyone the first day. All calls should be made by 5pm on December 1st!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, everyone! Last year, I got my acceptance call at around 8AM, and I think I got lucky and was one of the first people to be notified. Let me know when you make a FB group, and I'll join to answer any questions you may have. :)

BEST OF LUCK!

Reactions: 4 users
You guys getting into unc. Did you get into ecu also?

i'm oos so i didn't apply to ECU. one of interviewers called me!

Still waiting for that call....

Reactions: 4 users
Any calls for in-staters?

Got an acceptance call at 8:45 am! So excited!

In state

Has anyone else gotten a call? I'm going crazy...UNC is a top choice for me and so I'm really hoping to get a call soon!

I got the call around 1, don't give up hope guys!!!

Thankss!!

Finallyyy got the call :D OMG i feel like im on top of the world cant express my feelings i literally felt like screaming on the phone lol

I'm. Losing. Hope.

Hang in there fischook and everyone else who is awaiting any communication from UNC SoD! Don't forget that your interviewers are busy people and that they have been asked to call at their own discretion. Both of my faculty interviewers are part-time at UNC and they maintain their own private practices. I am hoping to get a call after business hours tonight, or perhaps tomorrow.

Check out the Official 2017 class thread starting on page 4 and read through the remaining pages in the thread. Some of the applicants find out on Tuesday and Wednesday of that week, others find out in mid December, and there are several more acceptances in January. Granted one of the posts on page 3 of that same thread is by someone claiming that a reliable source told them UNC admissions was slightly delayed in getting out their acceptances that year.

I know everyone wants that early Christmas/Hanukkah present, but the reality is that you may not find out until early next year. Keep your chins up! To all of those who have gotten the call this morning - congratulations and enjoy not having to stress (too much) about finals!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...017-interview-acceptance-thread.938500/page-4

Fellow lurkers (like myself) - please keep us posted if you get in. Make an account and let us know =)

Last edited:
Got the call first thing this morning :) Very happy! Congrats to all of you who received a call and best of fortunes to those who are waiting. Didn't sleep much last night, but my adrenaline took up the slack when I got the call. Floating at altitude right now!

Got the call first thing this morning :) Very happy! Congrats to all of you who received a call and best of fortunes to those who are waiting. Didn't sleep much last night, but my adrenaline took up the slack when I got the call. Floating at altitude right now!

That is great news! Thank you for your kind thoughts to those who are patiently waiting. Tonight you will rest easy :)

Nice catch, @Vaelsed. I never made it all the way through that 2017 thread. From the looks of things, the 2018 class did not have any obvious early acceptances after the first Monday of Dec. For what it's worth, someone in our Nov. interview group asked Dr. Pettiette about December acceptances, and her response indicated a steady trickle similar to that 2017 thread.

Congrats to the folks who got in. If any intrepid individuals want to call Ms. Oakes tomorrow, that may get the rest of us something more concrete. I think I'm going to go relax.

I appreciate the sentiment of trying to be more personal and calling the accepted applicants, but honestly, mass email acceptance letters at 8AM are just as good in my opinion.

I appreciate the sentiment of trying to be more personal and calling the accepted applicants, but honestly, mass email acceptance letters at 8AM are just as good in my opinion.

some schools do calls and emails. But it really is a nice touch to have your interviewer call you.

I read on their website that they technically start telling people tomorrow. So those that got calls today got lucky! But maybe there's still hope!!! UNC is my top choice so I'm really hoping I do get that call tomorrow. Fingers crossed. And Congrats to everyone who got accepted :)

I got in! Phone call around 1pm today. I'm instate.

Anyone making a Facebook page? Not really my thing. Let me know if one gets started.

Hey everyone out there I just created the group for the class of 2019 on facebook. Here is the link. waiting for you guys to join :)
Anyone making a Facebook page? Not really my thing. Let me know if one gets started.

Hey everyone out there I just created the group for the class of 2019 on facebook. Here is the link. waiting for you guys to join :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/269044516552671/

Nice catch, @Vaelsed. I never made it all the way through that 2017 thread. From the looks of things, the 2018 class did not have any obvious early acceptances after the first Monday of Dec. For what it's worth, someone in our Nov. interview group asked Dr. Pettiette about December acceptances, and her response indicated a steady trickle similar to that 2017 thread.

Congrats to the folks who got in. If any intrepid individuals want to call Ms. Oakes tomorrow, that may get the rest of us something more concrete. I think I'm going to go relax.
I was "that kid" who asked :p Good luck everyone!

I think he's referring to being the person who asked during the interview. Someone should ask Ms. Oakes....

Haha ohhh. Yeah I agree, I'm losing hope quick and would rather just know at this point!

Last year, my portal changed the day after the first phonecalls were made. So maybe it will update today!

Broke down and called. All of the acceptances are out! Congrats to those who got in. Those waiting there's still a shot at the end of January

Broke down and called. All of the acceptances are out! Congrats to those who got in. Those waiting there's still a shot at the end of January

Just in time for those to sneak into biochemistry if they need it :p.

Congrats to those who got in. Its a wonderful program and personally, ever school should look like UNC. Real beautiful place.