The Official UNE Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
Do any of you have any experience with the MMI format? This is my first experience with this format. Do they just ask "normal" interview questions, or will we be role playing? Any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions on how to prepare for this? Thanks and congrats on all who got interviews!

Is that for sure the format? How did you find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that for sure the format? How did you find out?

They mention it on the interview invitation email.

Anyone from the New England Area that can give me advice on what to do and where to eat? My mom will be joining me on the trip as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
They mention it on the interview invitation email.

Anyone from the New England Area that can give me advice on what to do and where to eat? My mom will be joining me on the trip as well.

Whoops! I guess I was so excited to get it that I didn't read the whole thing. Portland is an awesome city! It's known for its food. I've only eaten at Eventide Oyster Co. and Street and Co. and both were great. If you're into craft beer there is a really good brewery called Bissell Brothers. There are actually a bunch of good breweries if you google it. Portland Head Lighthouse is beautiful. It's one of the ones that you see in all of the quintessential Maine postcard shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the interview is closed file? It seems like it would be because it's an MMI format. As far as preparing - I've been looking at YouTube interview videos but it seems difficult to prepare for.

Does anyone know if the interview is closed file? It seems like it would be because it's an MMI format. As far as preparing - I've been looking at YouTube interview videos but it seems difficult to prepare for.
Yes, it is closed file. They said they do it this way to remove any bias that the interviewers may have, and be able to really see what the prospective student is like, not how a prepared response makes them look. I was reading on the ADEA website about the MMI format, and they said, "MMIs require that candidates articulate their reasoning and beliefs extemporaneously, and the resulting responses provide insights into candidates’ personalities and values."

Anyone here interviewing next week, Sept. 28?

Just visited Portland!! Gilberts is great. So is Portland's company. Everything is in the same block. Great city. Great food. If you have time, go on Peaks island as well!!!
Whoops! I guess I was so excited to get it that I didn't read the whole thing. Portland is an awesome city! It's known for its food. I've only eaten at Eventide Oyster Co. and Street and Co. and both were great. If you're into craft beer there is a really good brewery called Bissell Brothers. There are actually a bunch of good breweries if you google it. Portland Head Lighthouse is beautiful. It's one of the ones that you see in all of the quintessential Maine postcard shots.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not even nervous for the interview tomorrow o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly cannot remember if I received a supplemental app. I know I paid a secondary fee and my app is under review on AADSAS and I've gotten the application complete email. Any ideas?

I honestly cannot remember if I received a supplemental app. I know I paid a secondary fee and my app is under review on AADSAS and I've gotten the application complete email. Any ideas?
Look through your email search bar. You should have gotten an email for the supplemental and it should show up when you search for it

I received the supplemental on 9/13 and submitted it on 9/16. Got an email from them on 9/19 saying my application is under review.
Do you think its too late to get an interview?

When can I expect an interview invite? Crossing my fingers for one!

I received the supplemental on 9/13 and submitted it on 9/16. Got an email from them on 9/19 saying my application is under review.

I got everything in and the email about going under review a month earlier on 8/15 and I still haven't heard anything from them...

They said they typically send out for 6 days of interviews. I know that I interviewed today, but I'm not sure if I was the first group..

They said they typically send out for 6 days of interviews. I know that I interviewed today, but I'm not sure if I was the first group..

Yea today should have been the first group. They interview on thursdays and their pre December interview dates are sept 21, 28 oct 12, 19 and nov 9, 16.

Nice! How was the school and the tour? Also what did you think about the interview?

Nice! How was the school and the tour? Also what did you think about the interview?
Interview was neat.. a lot different seeing a school in its early stages. There is a distinct similarity from the school compared to my undergrad, so I took a liking to the atmosphere, but some of the mmi questions (they seemed rushed) / clinical aspects (no clinical requirements - they do 'comprehensive cases' to show how they can perform full cases rather than "10 root canals, 20 restos, etc." like other programs) took me off-guard. Would certainly be nice if you can manage to take a few days to visit Portland.. I'm upset that I wasn't able to.

Reactions: 4 users

Oh thats great! So I still have a chance of getting an interview :)
If you don't mind me asking, how are your extracurricular? Like shadowing hours, volunteering etc.

Does anyone know if it would be too late to add this school yet? I know it is super late in the cycle to add a school, but I'm interested in it after having a conversation with a friend of mine. Do they have a supplemental app or just an application fee?

Does anyone know if it would be too late to add this school yet? I know it is super late in the cycle to add a school, but I'm interested in it after having a conversation with a friend of mine. Do they have a supplemental app or just an application fee?
I'm not sure about the late part of your question but they do have a supplemental app!

Who is going to be interviewing October 19?? :)

good luck to everyone interviewing today!
I'm curious to hear how you guys felt about the MMI. I feel like it's hard to tell how I did where during a one on one interview I knew I made a good impression. Anyone else feel this way after UNE?

I'm curious to hear how you guys felt about the MMI. I feel like it's hard to tell how I did where during a one on one interview I knew I made a good impression. Anyone else feel this way after UNE?

I'd have to say that I felt a bit pressured on time and rushed so I didn't feel as good on some of them as I felt like I didn't convey/construct the message as I'd like. It could be just me but I think I prefer the traditional interview method.

I really liked the MMI. All of my interviewers we easy going and the conversation felt natural.

I personally like how you're able to paint a full picture with a traditional interview but I liked the challenge of an MMI. I think I only had one interviewer who was the token person who was supposed to smile at us but not seem too exciting. Met some really amazing people though, and LOVED the school.

Last edited:
Absolutely loved the school! I personally thought the MMI format was a little more challenging than I was expecting but definitely not the worst. Also agree that it's hard to gauge how well I did or what the interviewer thought of my interview. However, the overall day was great and loved the atmosphere of the school.

School was super nice but new schools always worry me, especially since their boards pass rate is 91-93%. Also I wasn’t really a fan of the MMI format. I think the traditional style is more effective because you have 30 minutes to show who you are and get all of your questions answered

Was it the typical MMI thing where you get a prompt and have like 7 minutes to make an argument about it? I'm kind of worried about being able to go on about a topic for 7 minutes if I don't know much about it... I'm just trying to brush up on as many broad topics as I can!

Was it the typical MMI thing where you get a prompt and have like 7 minutes to make an argument about it? I'm kind of worried about being able to go on about a topic for 7 minutes if I don't know much about it... I'm just trying to brush up on as many broad topics as I can!

Yup

The questions were more personal so there's no need to research anything. They are meant to help the interviewer get to know you better.

The questions were more personal so there's no need to research anything. They are meant to help the interviewer get to know you better.
In what way do you mean "more personal"? Like topics that we would not be able to predict and prepare for or personal question like why we chose dentistry and talking about ourselves?

Anyone hear about Nov interviews yet? Really hoping to hear back soon. I think the school/area is so great!

In what way do you mean "more personal"? Like topics that we would not be able to predict and prepare for or personal question like why we chose dentistry and talking about ourselves?

Personal as in they ask about your experiences so it’s not something you can study for

Unless someone told you the questions, they aren't anything you would predict and be able to prepare for. I would say there was maybe one generic one that you have probably prepared for already. But the questions have no wrong or right answer, it is more opinion based. They really just want you to be able to formulate and articulate an answer, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.