**The Official University of Iowa Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Also when did you interview??
I interviewed on Nov. 11 and was classified out of state for my interview because I bought a house in MO but was able to apply and attain in state residency because I grew up and graduated from high school in Oskaloosa, IA. I'm pretty sure I was the only one to be accepted that day though. My friend who is pre dental said Mrs. Elaine Brown told him yesterday they weren't meeting for decisions until later in january and a second round in Feb. I spoke with Mrs. Brown this morning to confirm my Admittance and she said, "We reviewed your application yesterday and decided to accept you" she didn't talk like they reviewed any body else. I also submitted an update letter on my activities since my interview this past Sunday so that may have been the icing on the cake to get me accepted so quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I forgot to mention AADSAS declared "offer made" and isis said admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna try one more time. Anyone who was deferred ever hear anything from the school? Trying to figure out if that was just a polite way to reject or if we should still hope that there's a chance to hear back.

I would call Elaine Brown if I were you.
Gonna try one more time. Anyone who was deferred ever hear anything from the school? Trying to figure out if that was just a polite way to reject or if we should still hope that there's a chance to hear back.

I would call Elaine Brown if I were you.

Hey guys. I called Elaine a couple weeks ago about my deferred status, she said that it looks like they have plenty of qualified applicants, so "mostlikely" they won't use the deferral list. I work for a recent Iowa dent graduate, he said she's pretty honest, so I'd take her word for it. But I'll keep my fingers crossed haha

hey guys. i got accepted but i don't recall when the white coat ceremony will be held. anybody knows? also, those of you who got accepted and will be attending this school please share some info about housing. many thanks

If you can remember back to your interview, they made it a point to tell us that the white coat is earned, so the ceremony isn't until after you've completed a year I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My AADSAS portal says application denied for Iowa. Interviewed sometime back in October I think. OOS. No email about the rejection yet.

My AADSAS portal says application denied for Iowa. Interviewed sometime back in October I think. OOS. No email about the rejection yet.
When did you receive the denied notice if you don't mind me asking?

I never got an email or anything. Just noticed that my AADSAS updated to denied when I posted on here the other day.

Accepted.

WM319, There is an apartment that is about a 2-3 minute walk to the College of Dentistry. I believe it's called "Lincoln Heights". The last time I heard, off-street parking is $40/month on top of the rent and utilities. There are also other off-campus housing options, and you can go to this page for listings: http://offcampushousing.uiowa.edu/. Hope this helps!

Accepted.

WM319, There is an apartment that is about a 2-3 minute walk to the College of Dentistry. I believe it's called "Lincoln Heights". The last time I heard, off-street parking is $40/month on top of the rent and utilities. There are also other off-campus housing options, and you can go to this page for listings: http://offcampushousing.uiowa.edu/. Hope this helps!

Congrats. When did you get notified? via aadsas or e-mail? Are you instate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't notified by AADSAS or email. When I checked the AADSAS portal at around 1/12/2014 under School Decisions, the status was 'offer made.' That was when I went to ISIS and accepted their offer. A few days later, the status on the portal changed to 'offer accepted,' and ISIS changed the Admission Decision to 'admitted.' I'm instate and interviewed in December.

Got a rejection from Iowa last week. SD resident, 21 AA, 3.65 GPA. No email, just noticed it on aadsas. I had already committed to Nebraska and turned down my acceptance at Oklahoma. Not sure if I wasn't wait listed because I've already put a deposit in or not at the other school, but congrats to those of you accepted!

Anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back? I talked to Elaine about three weeks ago and she was hoping that she would have more information about my admissions by the end of the month. It's the end of the month and still nothing. This wait is killing me! Anyone in the same boat as me or have any updates on where they are with the remaining admissions?

Anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back? I talked to Elaine about three weeks ago and she was hoping that she would have more information about my admissions by the end of the month. It's the end of the month and still nothing. This wait is killing me! Anyone in the same boat as me or have any updates on where they are with the remaining admissions?
Same here! I spoke with her a few weeks ago and she said the same. No updates as of late, I emailed a day or two ago- waiting to hear back. Getting anxious, but hoping for good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Same here. I really hope I hear something from them in the next week or so.

The Facebook page for the 2018 class has 46 members at the moment. So I'm guessing there's still plenty of seats left.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Same here. I really hope I hear something from them in the next week or so.

The Facebook page for the 2018 class has 46 members at the moment. So I'm guessing there's still plenty of seats left.

Yeah I figure we should hear back before the 2nd week of Feb is over (around the 14th or so), or it'll be another month I'd think. The sooner the better though!

Yes, Hawkeye, I can sympathize with what you're going through. I interviewed in September and thought it all went quite well. Iowa is an important school to me, and, after all this time, the uncertainty about next often feels heavy in my thoughts. All will be done soon however, and I hope everyone here with a deep investment in this school gets a chance :)

Accepted 1/31/14! OOS. Status changed to offer made on AADSAS.

Same here! I spoke with her a few weeks ago and she said the same. No updates as of late, I emailed a day or two ago- waiting to hear back. Getting anxious, but hoping for good news!
Have you heard anything back from Elaine yet?

@ 51 members on facebook, I don't think there can be too many spots left, as I would expect at least 1/3 not to join the group either because they don't know about it or don't feel the need to join it before they know anyone. Sigh.

I think they're finalizing all decisions over the next week. You could be right though...

@ 51 members on facebook, I don't think there can be too many spots left, as I would expect at least 1/3 not to join the group either because they don't know about it or don't feel the need to join it before they know anyone. Sigh.

I e-mailed Elaine today to see what's going on. Hopefully you are wrong..

Reactions: 2 users
Let us know what she says! I ended up number 2 on the resident alternate list last year and improved my application since. I had good hopes going into this years application process but with hearing nothing this has been a very stressful 2 months to say the least, any new information would be awesome.

Best of luck to everyone.

what is your stat?
Let us know what she says! I ended up number 2 on the resident alternate list last year and improved my application since. I had good hopes going into this years application process but with hearing nothing this has been a very stressful 2 months to say the least, any new information would be awesome.

GPA- 3.4
AA-20
PAT-21
TS-19
RC- 23

I am instate and graduated from Iowa in Physiology

Hi Tigerhawk. Did you end up #2 on the alternate IS list after movement or was that the original position you were given? Just curious because I didn't think there was much movement on the IS alternate list, but I wasn't sure how much.

You're right, I started at 3 out of 6. So it basically moved one spot. I think the year before it moved two spots.

You're right, I started at 3 out of 6. So it basically moved one spot. I think the year before it moved two spots.
Thanks for the response. Hopefully we are able to bypass the alternate list's slow movement entirely and just get accepted. :)

Elaine said all decisions will be made by the end of next week. They will send out emails or letter notifications plus make status changes on aadsas and Isis.

Do you guys think this week will be for rejections/waitlist or will they offer more acceptances?

Do you guys think this week will be for rejections/waitlist or will they offer more acceptances?
I think it is the end. I think they want to have everything finalized. The only thing that might change over the next few weeks would be people moving from the alternate list to the accepted list. But I feel we will know where we stand (rejection, acceptance, waitlist) this week.

I think it is the end. I think they want to have everything finalized. The only thing that might change over the next few weeks would be people moving from the alternate list to the accepted list. But I feel we will know where we stand (rejection, acceptance, waitlist) this week.
I concur with hawk eye, thats what it sounded like when I spoke with them. Get readyyyyy everyone! (for good news, I mean!!)

I guess this is going to be an interesting Valentine's Day.

Well I received an e-mail from Elaine saying that I am on the resident alternate list once again. The alternate list rankings will come out next week. I hope others heard better news.

Well I received an e-mail from Elaine saying that I am on the resident alternate list once again. The alternate list rankings will come out next week. I hope others heard better news.
Oh no! Hopefully the list moves for you!

Same here, OOS.

Uh oh, I haven't heard anything still. This could be bad news for me. Dun dun dun.

When did you get the e-mail? The suspense continue here. I haven't heard anything (I'm an in-state undergraduate at this university)... I get the nagging feeling that no news is bad news at this point; if not an alternate, then a rejection. :sorry: As for your ranking on the list, it is likely a good thing you heard prior to the the rest of us. I was relatively confident that I was a competitive candidate, but I guess it wasn't enough. I put all of my apples in this basket here, so this is quite possibly the end of the road which makes one feel eviscerated.

I also hope others will fair better, and wish everyone else the best of luck at others schools, in another cycle, or in whatever venture you choose next.

When did you get the e-mail? The suspense continue here. I haven't heard anything (I'm an in-state undergraduate at this university)... I get the nagging feeling that no news is bad news at this point; if not an alternate, then a rejection. :sorry: As for your ranking on the list, it is likely a good thing you heard prior to the the rest of us. I was relatively confident that I was a competitive candidate, but I guess it wasn't enough. I put all of my apples in this basket here, so this is quite possibly the end of the road which makes one feel eviscerated.

I also hope others will fair better, and wish everyone else the best of luck at others schools, in another cycle, or in whatever venture you choose next.

I got an e-mail from Elaine yesterday afternoon. I responded back to her and confirmed that I wanted to be placed on the alternate list after that. Keep your head up. All of us made it further then the majority of people applying to the University and if you really want it I am sure that you can make the necessary adjustments to make your application as competitive as possible.

If you talk to any dentist they will tell you to keep applying and stay relentless. If you want it that bad you can make it happen.

Best of luck

Also on that note, today I realized that my status changed to "wait listed" on the aadsas portal.

Rejected. In-state. No e-mail, just an AADSAS update.

It says that it changed yesterday, but the status changed around 3:02 AM CST. It looks like that's about the time that AADSAS changes portal statuses, rather than that panel being dynamic.

Rejected. In-state. No e-mail, just an AADSAS update.

It says that it changed yesterday, but the status changed around 3:02 AM CST. It looks like that's about the time that AADSAS changes portal statuses, rather than that panel being dynamic.
Same here. I just e-mailed Elaine to look for application improvements.

Did those of you who were accepted complete the academic update on AADSAS and send transcripts in?