2018 ****The Official University of Michigan Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be wise to review ethical issues in dentistry in preparation for an interview at UM? Any other tips? (I understand to be myself and don't sound script; but is there any other tip?)

Just received an invite this morning! 11/10 was the original date but I couldn't do that so I'm going on 11/17.
Residency: IN
GPA: 3.96
AA 22, TS 21, PAT 21

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an invite this morning! 11/10 was the original date but I couldn't do that so I'm going on 11/17.
Residency: IN
GPA: 3.96
AA 22, TS 21, PAT 21
When did you get the app complete email? Congrats!

Interview invite!

Date received: 10/24 @ 5pm EST
Date Interviewing: 11/10
App confirmation date: 7/31
oGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 22 PAT

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know what Michigan's acceptance rate is for those who are interviewed?

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get from DTW to UM's dental school? I was thinking about just Ubering it, but am worried it will be crazy expensive.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get from DTW to UM's dental school? I was thinking about just Ubering it, but am worried it will be crazy expensive.

I used uber and it was around $30, but that can fluctuate. They also have a bus thats around $12 to go into AA.

Members don't see this ad :)

When I was there in undergrad, most people used the Michigan Flyer bus service to get to and from DTW airport. Cheapest and easiest way to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite!

Date received: 10/24 @ 5pm EST
Date Interviewing: 11/10
App confirmation date: 7/31
oGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 22 PAT
those are some monster stats, lol.

When I was there in undergrad, most people used the Michigan Flyer bus service to get to and from DTW airport. Cheapest and easiest way to do it.
Ditto on the flyer, it's only $22 round trip.
Google "Michigan Flyer" because it won't let me post a link because I only ever lurk

Is Michigan done giving out interviews until people decline their seats?

Is Michigan done giving out interviews until people decline their seats?
I interviewed here at their second interview date. From my understand of what they told us, there are a certain amount of interview dates. I believe they have interviews dates before and after December first. I think there are two after? I could be mistaken. I am not sure of the dates but I know they call people up to a few days before the interview dates - probably to make sure every spot is filled.

For example I was given either a week or two week notice to the interview I was invited to ( I am in state). A woman who attends UofM was called the week right before the interview, I believe two days before the interview data.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone!

On other threads for other schools, people are discussing letters of intent. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth it to send one?

Does anyone know if your interview date means they want you more or less for UofM? (sorry if this was already asked and I scrolled by it)

It's rolling.. every school is rolling..
Yes, I understand that. I have done my research as has everyone else.

I was not clear before. I meant for example after they had many apps in, they selected people for their first interview date. I am assuming they would invite the people with the best stats, resume, etc. - As we can see from the first interview invites sent for the first date on this thread. I am curious as to if after the interview do they still weight the stats? And for rolling invitations they will still pick the best apps to interview first. So my assumption is interview date does matter in the sense they prefer the better stats as long as the interview went well.

Look, we are all on here because we all want to become dentists. We are all anxiously awaiting December 1st. I'm just trying to calm some nerves.

Yes, I understand that. I have done my research as has everyone else.

I was not clear before. I meant for example after they had many apps in, they selected people for their first interview date. I am assuming they would invite the people with the best stats, resume, etc. - As we can see from the first interview invites sent for the first date on this thread. I am curious as to if after the interview do they still weight the stats? And for rolling invitations they will still pick the best apps to interview first. So my assumption is interview date does matter in the sense they prefer the better stats as long as the interview went well.

Look, we are all on here because we all want to become dentists. We are all anxiously awaiting December 1st. I'm just trying to calm some nerves.

If you look at the thread, applicants GPA & DAT who got early and late interviews ranged. Meaning early interview doesnt mean anything different than a late interview. An interviews means they like your credentials that fit that range.

How do they select from the interviewees with this range of GPA and DAT? That's the golden question. It's all subjective IMO (they want diversity/affirmative action, you fit a certain culture, etc).

What I'd do: Ultimately, everything is in the hands of the Dental school (regardless if my analysis above is true). It is like life, not everything is in our control.... So we just have to be patient, enjoy the process, and work with what we got when it arises.

Last edited:
Any one know if there will be post December interview dates? I know there are usually 2 in January or February but has anyone gotten an invite yet

Any one know if there will be post December interview dates? I know there are usually 2 in January or February but has anyone gotten an invite yet
I remember from the interview they have post December dates. They can invite you as late as two days before the interview. A UofM undergrad was invited either the day before or two days before the interview date. I don't know the actual dates but don't lose hope. It is not too late.

I remember from the interview they have post December dates. They can invite you as late as two days before the interview. A UofM undergrad was invited either the day before or two days before the interview date. I don't know the actual dates but don't lose hope. It is not too late.
Thank you!! I'm trying to keep my faith in this school so thanks for saying that!

Thank you!! I'm trying to keep my faith in this school so thanks for saying that!
I spoke to a current student and his girlfriend who in the hygiene program the other day. They said after you get an interview, they really only care about how your interview went. So what I'm getting at is depending on your state residency and how your stats align with the average stats, you will most likely get an interview. And from there its up to you, not you on paper. So I hope this helps as well - best of luck!

I spoke to a current student and his girlfriend who in the hygiene program the other day. They said after you get an interview, they really only care about how your interview went. So what I'm getting at is depending on your state residency and how your stats align with the average stats, you will most likely get an interview. And from there its up to you, not you on paper. So I hope this helps as well - best of luck!
a current student at UofM dental

Not every school does it the same way. I've had schools tell me that they accept in weekly batches, biweekly batches, and all in one pile right before Dec 1st.
Every schools I’ve interviewed at has told me they release on a rolling basis so I guess it just depends

The people who were invited for interviews, does your app still simply say "Invited for interview" when you check the status?

The following data is obtained directly from the “ADEA Official Guide to Dental schools” handbook for class entering Fall 2016:

Total IS Applicants: 370
No. Interviewed: 102
Offers Made: 67

Total OOS Applicants: 1549
No. Interviewed: 162
Offers Made: 91

Total International Applicants: 184
No. Interviewed: 34
Offers Made: 16

Total Applicants: 2103
Total Enrollees: 105

Hope this helps :)

This link says last year there were about 2000 applicants and they offered 108. The class ended up being 105. I'm hard pressed to believe there would only be three people who chose other schools. http://dental-schools.startclass.com/l/29/University-of-Michigan-School-of-Dentistry
Any thoughts on this?

I think these 3 were last minute decisions to go someplace else and I think they were like international or Canadian that went to McGill University that costs only $15K /year and half is forgiven so practically you get free dental school.

The following data is obtained directly from the “ADEA Official Guide to Dental schools” handbook for class entering Fall 2016:

Total IS Applicants: 370
No. Interviewed: 102
Offers Made: 67

Total OOS Applicants: 1549
No. Interviewed: 162
Offers Made: 91

Total International Applicants: 184
No. Interviewed: 34
Offers Made: 16

Total Applicants: 2103
Total Enrollees: 105

Hope this helps :)

~~300 applicant interview and ~~100 offers: still competitive.

I you get offer from U Mich I suppose you will choose it over others?
I will be grateful for any acceptance. But there are OOS students, and IS students I'm sure have different thoughts and feeling about the school/other schools they have applied to. Some have family in other area of the country etc. I'm just saying I would think there would be slightly more than three people who would go somewhere else.

I'm coming home!!! Accepted 9:03 EST.

Accepted with scholarship.......omg is this real????!??!!!!!!

Are they going from Central to East??

Accepted! DDS/PhD :banana:

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.