***The Official UPenn Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What’s up everyone! I’ll be an incoming D1 at Penn this year. Since the new cycle has begun, I thought I’d start this thread. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the application cycle. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me :)

Good luck everyone :soexcited:

Link to interview prep: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
What’s up everyone! I’ll be an incoming D1 at Penn this year. Since the new cycle has began, I thought I’d start this thread. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the application cycle. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me :)

Hello Friend... I am in the applying to UPENN and I was invited to IV . I would like to know some tips, what do you advise me :idea:??? What can you tell me about the written essay that is done during the iv . I'm terrified :scared:... Thanks...!!!!!:highfive:

What’s up everyone! I’ll be an incoming D1 at Penn this year. Since the new cycle has begun, I thought I’d start this thread. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the application cycle. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me :)

Hi! I applied to Penn and already submitted my supplemental application. I've heard great things about the school and am hoping for an interview! One thing that's holding me back (assuming I'm accepted) is the high cost of tuition. Do a lot of people get scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I applied to Penn and already submitted my supplemental application. I've heard great things about the school and am hoping for an interview! One thing that's holding me back (assuming I'm accepted) is the high cost of tuition. Do a lot of people get scholarships?
Yeah they give a number of scholarships ranging from 10k-40k a year. If you can get one of these scholarships, the price becomes very comparable to, or even less than, most other schools. Another thing I would look into if I were you is HPSP. You really can’t beat a full ride + stipend to go to dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah they give a number of scholarships ranging from 10k-40k a year. If you can get one of these scholarships, the price becomes very comparable to, or even less than, most other schools. Another thing I would look into if I were you is HPSP. You really can’t beat a full ride + stipend to go to dental school.

Thank you for your reply! I've considered applying for HPSP, but I definitely have some questions about it and am hoping to speak to a healthcare recruiter soon! Also, do you have to apply to the scholarships at Penn or are you simply awarded them at the time of admission?

Thank you for your reply! I've considered applying for HPSP, but I definitely have some questions about it and am hoping to speak to a healthcare recruiter soon! Also, do you have to apply to the scholarships at Penn or are you simply awarded them at the time of admission?
You are automatically considered for the scholarship upon acceptance. However, just because you don’t receive one when accepted, doesn’t mean they aren’t going to offer you one. I was accepted in December and received a scholarship around a month later :)

You are automatically considered for the scholarship upon acceptance. However, just because you don’t receive one when accepted, doesn’t mean they aren’t going to offer you one. I was accepted in December and received a scholarship around a month later :)

Oh, that's great to know! Thank you so much! :nod: Also, what was the vibe you felt when you interviewed there? Did it seem like the students were super stressed or did they seem relaxed?

Oh, that's great to know! Thank you so much! :nod: Also, what was the vibe you felt when you interviewed there? Did it seem like the students were super stressed or did they seem relaxed?
Everyone was incredibly nice! The interviews themselves didn’t really even feel like interviews because my interviewers were really friendly and relaxed. The same goes for the students. They’re all very open to any questions you have, and they’re super friendly. Ultimately, one of the reasons I chose Penn over the other school I was contemplating was because of the vibe. Penn students seemed far less stressed out and happier about the school :)

Honestly though, I haven’t even started there so I really don’t know what it’s like. I’ll update this post after schools starts haha.

Everyone was incredibly nice! The interviews themselves didn’t really even feel like interviews because my interviewers were really friendly and relaxed. The same goes for the students. They’re all very open to any questions you have, and they’re super friendly. Ultimately, one of the reasons I chose Penn over the other school I was contemplating was because of the vibe. Penn students seemed far less stressed out and happier about the school :)

Honestly though, I haven’t even started there so I really don’t know what it’s like. I’ll update this post after schools starts haha.

I'm glad the students and faculty seemed relaxed and friendly, because that's so important to me!

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it. I'm definitely looking forward to an update once school starts... Best of luck to you!!!

If my committee sends my letters by late July early August, will that hold my application back and consider me a later applicant?

If my committee sends my letters by late July early August, will that hold my application back and consider me a later applicant?
As long as you have everything else in your app done before that, I think you should be fine. If they invite you for an interview, it would just be for a much later date since the first round went our on August 14th for this past cycle and that was filled with people that applied in like June.

@Life of Pablo any tips for the supplemental essays? They have no character limits unlike AADSAS, so what would you say is a good guideline?

@Life of Pablo any tips for the supplemental essays? They have no character limits unlike AADSAS, so what would you say is a good guideline?
Length doesn’t really matter. I’ve heard of people writing a few sentences and others writing a few paragraphs. Just try to answer the questions to the best of your ability. I did get asked during my interview about something I wrote in the supplemental app, so they definitely do read them, but don’t stress too much about figuring out what to write for each question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dod anyone hear from Penn after sending secondary? I just emailed pdf and have not heard back. Concerned if the files went ok.

Dod anyone hear from Penn after sending secondary? I just emailed pdf and have not heard back. Concerned if the files went ok.
I'm in the same boat. They cashed my check so I assume they got everything, but I don't know if/when they get back to us.

I heard back from Penn a day or two after emailing them my supplemental application! They'll send an email saying that your application is now complete

I'm in the same boat. They cashed my check so I assume they got everything, but I don't know if/when they get back to us.

I got email that they are MISSING MY SECONDARY AS OF TODAY which I sent last wednesday. So I called, and the lady found my email and processed it to be "complete".

So there we go. Waiting game. :)

Good luck everyone! Now the waiting game is on! :love:

I typed the essays in a word document and then emailed it to [email protected]
I submitted them as two separate PDFs (I prefer PDF because it is less likely to have formatting issues going from one PC to another), but I doubt they care exactly how you did it, as long as you don't make it a hassle for them. I think this is the first year they let you submit electronically.

Does anyone know around when do they start looking through the pile of applications and send out interviews?

How long did your supplementary application end up being? I feel like I wrote too much for my answers...

How long did your supplementary application end up being? I feel like I wrote too much for my answers...
around 400 words for each questions besides for the first one.

Am I considered late if I haven't submitted my supplemental application yet?

I plan on doing so by end of the week. Called the school and they said they start reviewing in July, September is late. If that helps at all

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like if you submit your secondary in early August you should be fine. As long as like your AADSAS and everything has been verified and penn has received it. I just submitted mine like early last week. What are you stats if you don’t mind me asking

great thanks!
AA: 26, TS: 27, PAT: 23
my undergrad GPA was 3.1, Master's GPA is 3.8. (Overall is 3.3)
Do you think I have a chance? I'm more worried now that I've taken so long with my secondary
I think with your stats this week would be fine but I feel like @Life of Pablo and @yaya97 would know more since they have gone through this process

how do you sign it? there is a place to sign it but you cant type in
I printed that part of the supplemental out, signed it, then scanned it as a pdf document so I can send it along with my answers.

When I sent in my supplemental I got a notice saying my last recommendation was not turned in (it hadn't been at that point) and since that was sent in a few weeks ago I have not gotten another email letting me know my application is complete. Has anyone had this situation? I am going to call tomorrow to double check but wanted to see if this was normal.

When I sent in my supplemental I got a notice saying my last recommendation was not turned in (it hadn't been at that point) and since that was sent in a few weeks ago I have not gotten another email letting me know my application is complete. Has anyone had this situation? I am going to call tomorrow to double check but wanted to see if this was normal.

I was in the same boat until last week. I had gotten the app received but missing a letter email, then my letter was sent in during the first week of July, then just got an app complete email last week (about 4 weeks later)

I was in the same boat until last week. I had gotten the app received but missing a letter email, then my letter was sent in during the first week of July, then just got an app complete email last week (about 4 weeks later)

Thanks for the update! Not the best news but I know everything with applications takes forever

Did anyone else get mail from the school with information about the program and a note saying 'thank you for your patience'?

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! This is the best dental school hands down :soexcited:

Also, if you haven’t received an interview, just hang tight. They’ll be sending interviews out for months.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who received an interview! This is the best dental school ever :soexcited:

Also, if you haven’t received an interview, just hang tight. They’ll be sending interviews out for months.
Are the later interviews reserved for later applicants? That is, if you didn't get an invite now, whereas somebody whose application was complete at a later date than yours did, is it pretty much a lost cause?

Congrats! What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking and when did you get an application complete?

OOS applicant, GPA is ~3.90, and 23AA DAT

I submitted my app on June 8th, and I was notified by Penn that my application was complete on June 28th!

Are the later interviews reserved for later applicants? That is, if you didn't get an invite now, whereas somebody whose application was complete at a later date than yours did, is it pretty much a lost cause?
Not at all. I submitted my app in the middle of June and never heard back until early November.

My application has been complete since 13th June! Still haven't heard back. Is this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.