-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***The Official USC Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***
Started by rladbwjdtl
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I feel the same way! lol ! There may be another round I've heard so keep your head up 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know what you were ranked btw or are you just saying that bc you haven't heard back?I don't understand what I did on my interview to be ranked so low! I weep. USC why hast thou forsaken me.
Really? Who told you that?I feel the same way! lol ! There may be another round I've heard so keep your head up 🙂
Really? Who told you that?
Sorry not another round but spots may open up in May when people that got accepted in April don't submit their payments
it does not matter, you are ranked after you interview. try to relax guys, nothing you can really do at this moment but wait.
To be honest, I really don't see how USC ranked people after the "interview." The questions I had were what is my favorite TV commercial, where do I see myself in 5 years and what is my favorite movie. How are those three questions relevant to me being accepted or rejected. Secondly, the PBL went decent but it wasn't challenging enough where you can say anything that wasn't obvious. In my honest opinion, nothing I did the day I went to USC was relevant in if I am a good candidate or not.
I'll chime in here
It took me 3 cycles and 2 interviews at USC to finally get in.
The 3 questions are meant to break the ice, but I still think they look for honesty and congruity in your answers. Someone was asked about the best gift they had ever received, and the answer was the love from his/her family. I think thats a wonderful thing and most people would regard a loving family as a blessing, but the question was trying to draw out a fun and tangible gift....nothing as profound and abstract as love......they're not looking for Miss America pageant answer, they want "I'm chillin' with friends at a bar" answer - minus the profanities
As for the PBL session.... At my first interview at USC, my group had a couple of members that took over the entire session. They did all the talking (shouting really), and the rest of us sat there waiting for a slight pause so we can get a word in, only to have the words stolen out of our mouths before we can finish our sentence . I doubt anyone from our group got an acceptance. We were either "rude" or "spineless". Pro Tip (HAH!): chances are good that these groups are trending towards the wrong answer (too much talking, little critical thinking).....relax and think critically (easier said than done in this situation) and then break the trend. For example, someone said " bacteria", and everything after that became about bacteria.....everyone seemed to forget viruses, protists and fungi as possible pathogens. It wasnt until half way through that someone caught the mistake. It was a virus afterall.
Second time around was completely different, we had a great group! Very polite, everyone got a chance to participate, and we helped and applauded each other.....Thanks you guys 😉
Good luck everyone
It took me 3 cycles and 2 interviews at USC to finally get in.
The 3 questions are meant to break the ice, but I still think they look for honesty and congruity in your answers. Someone was asked about the best gift they had ever received, and the answer was the love from his/her family. I think thats a wonderful thing and most people would regard a loving family as a blessing, but the question was trying to draw out a fun and tangible gift....nothing as profound and abstract as love......they're not looking for Miss America pageant answer, they want "I'm chillin' with friends at a bar" answer - minus the profanities
As for the PBL session.... At my first interview at USC, my group had a couple of members that took over the entire session. They did all the talking (shouting really), and the rest of us sat there waiting for a slight pause so we can get a word in, only to have the words stolen out of our mouths before we can finish our sentence . I doubt anyone from our group got an acceptance. We were either "rude" or "spineless". Pro Tip (HAH!): chances are good that these groups are trending towards the wrong answer (too much talking, little critical thinking).....relax and think critically (easier said than done in this situation) and then break the trend. For example, someone said " bacteria", and everything after that became about bacteria.....everyone seemed to forget viruses, protists and fungi as possible pathogens. It wasnt until half way through that someone caught the mistake. It was a virus afterall.
Second time around was completely different, we had a great group! Very polite, everyone got a chance to participate, and we helped and applauded each other.....Thanks you guys 😉
Good luck everyone
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Few things about USC that caught my eye during the interview. First of all, the school is a dump. If you don't believe me just take a walk inside any of the restrooms. Second of all, the school is ridiculously small for the class size. The ceilings are low and the hallways are narrow. It literally felt like a concentration camp and I actually started to feel a little disrespected to be honest. Third, the students did not look at happy. Some were aimlessly standing with blank stares. The rest had a depressing vibe about them. I remember one pretentious student who noticed one of his friends in our interview group. He said loudly, "If you need me, I'll be in Oral Surgery." When we walked downstairs he was playing on his phone, chewing gum, begging for some type of recognition. Greased up hair and all. Yeah, one of THOSE. Sadly though, most of these students didn't have a choice. It was either USC or waiting a year. Me, I have a choice. I would rather reject my offer from USC and wait a year. I'm not paying you four years of my life and $500k to work inside of a concentration camp. I actually want to enjoy my experience and graduate with less debt. Thank you.
Last edited:
when is the next wave? dying here.
Few things about USC that caught my eye during the interview. First of all, the school is a dump. If you don't believe me just take a walk inside any of the restrooms. Second of all, the school is ridiculously small for the class size. The ceilings are low and the hallways are narrow. It literally felt like a concentration camp and I actually started to feel a little disrespected to be honest. Third, the students did not look at happy. Some were aimlessly standing with blank stares. The rest had a depressing vibe about them. I remember one pretentious student who noticed one of his friends in our interview group. He said loudly, "If you need me, I'll be in Oral Surgery." When we walked downstairs he was playing on his phone, chewing gum, begging for some type of recognition. Greased up hair and all. Yeah, one of THOSE. Sadly though, most of these students didn't have a choice. It was either USC or waiting a year. Me, I have a choice. I would rather reject my offer from USC and wait a year. I'm not paying you four years of my life and $500k to work inside of a concentration camp. I actually want to enjoy my experience and graduate with less debt. Thank you.
...
Few things about USC that caught my eye during the interview. First of all, the school is a dump. If you don't believe me just take a walk inside any of the restrooms. Second of all, the school is ridiculously small for the class size. The ceilings are low and the hallways are narrow. It literally felt like a concentration camp and I actually started to feel a little disrespected to be honest. Third, the students did not look at happy. Some were aimlessly standing with blank stares. The rest had a depressing vibe about them. I remember one pretentious student who noticed one of his friends in our interview group. He said loudly, "If you need me, I'll be in Oral Surgery." When we walked downstairs he was playing on his phone, chewing gum, begging for some type of recognition. Greased up hair and all. Yeah, one of THOSE. Sadly though, most of these students didn't have a choice. It was either USC or waiting a year. Me, I have a choice. I would rather reject my offer from USC and wait a year. I'm not paying you four years of my life and $500k to work inside of a concentration camp. I actually want to enjoy my experience and graduate with less debt. Thank you.
The interest alone is roughly $72,000 while you are at USC.
Start looking for sugar daddy to marry in Hollywood. I wouldn't be happy either if USC was my only choice and I got a **** load of debt waiting for me at the other end. Which is better: butt hurt for a year or butt hurt for the next two decades of your career? If V. Stiviano can do it, why can't...
You have to be a little open minded about USC in the design and layout
Keep in mind that it is mainly an undergrad campus and the dental school is part of the undergrad campus, not located separately
It is also one of the oldest dental schools around so you really can't compare their facilities with the newer private dental schools
Also, during interview day at least on mine, using the "USC" brand label comes with extra costs, they've admitted to that
if it was called something else and wasn't a part of USC than the school would be significantly cheaper
Everyone who has ever graduated from USC has some perks of being part of this nepotism and again you are paying for this through your tuition and fees
I was very much impressed by how close the faculty can potentially be towards their students, one of the instructors was a guy who graduated last year and had opportunities to network and travel abroad for continuing education and residency courses in dental implants, all made possible by being connected with the faculty there. He didn't need to apply, didn't need to interview, a good word on his skills gave him this amazing opportunity.
They also have amazing research opportunities there, and their motto given the pbl curriculum is that your education is what you make of it.
Of course the debt isn't ideal, it actually sucks a lot. But if you are that student who can network and impress, at USC there aren't really any boundaries between you and your teachers. The faculty there seem to bend over backwards for students that they really like and with that can come with potential job placement in their private practices to save you from what could be your fate working at another Western Dental and you could actually be making good money associating through being connected by the USC name.
There are pros and cons with every school, and if you choose to go here, you will need to adjust your end goal of what I believe many have of just being a general dentist with no extra skills. Southern California is extremely saturated with dentists and the state of California in general now has 5 dental schools. You are going to need more skills than just general dentistry. If you choose to stay in California, perhaps by pursuing research, getting close to faculty, you might be able to get those skills as USC is a great place for networking. Then you will be able to provide something that others don't have and pay back your debt like the other extremely impressive students that I met on their campus.
Having said all that, I'm sad to say I will be declining my offer so I hope an sdner gets it.
Keep in mind that it is mainly an undergrad campus and the dental school is part of the undergrad campus, not located separately
It is also one of the oldest dental schools around so you really can't compare their facilities with the newer private dental schools
Also, during interview day at least on mine, using the "USC" brand label comes with extra costs, they've admitted to that
if it was called something else and wasn't a part of USC than the school would be significantly cheaper
Everyone who has ever graduated from USC has some perks of being part of this nepotism and again you are paying for this through your tuition and fees
I was very much impressed by how close the faculty can potentially be towards their students, one of the instructors was a guy who graduated last year and had opportunities to network and travel abroad for continuing education and residency courses in dental implants, all made possible by being connected with the faculty there. He didn't need to apply, didn't need to interview, a good word on his skills gave him this amazing opportunity.
They also have amazing research opportunities there, and their motto given the pbl curriculum is that your education is what you make of it.
Of course the debt isn't ideal, it actually sucks a lot. But if you are that student who can network and impress, at USC there aren't really any boundaries between you and your teachers. The faculty there seem to bend over backwards for students that they really like and with that can come with potential job placement in their private practices to save you from what could be your fate working at another Western Dental and you could actually be making good money associating through being connected by the USC name.
There are pros and cons with every school, and if you choose to go here, you will need to adjust your end goal of what I believe many have of just being a general dentist with no extra skills. Southern California is extremely saturated with dentists and the state of California in general now has 5 dental schools. You are going to need more skills than just general dentistry. If you choose to stay in California, perhaps by pursuing research, getting close to faculty, you might be able to get those skills as USC is a great place for networking. Then you will be able to provide something that others don't have and pay back your debt like the other extremely impressive students that I met on their campus.
Having said all that, I'm sad to say I will be declining my offer so I hope an sdner gets it.
I was a 3rd time applicant going into this cycle and its not looking too good, so i'll be applying a fourth time for the upcoming cycle.
I was NOT disappointed by USC one bit. I actually enjoyed my date of interview and had a great time with the interviewers and interviewees. I have a couple friends that go there and they absolutely love it. When I entered the sim lab I saw students laughing and having a good time. During the presentation Ryan had already mentioned how costly the school is and what it provides, so its not like they were trying to hide anything.
I am still waiting on my call/email, but I have began to prepare for the next cycle just in case. Everyone that has been accepted, good luck in dental school. And the people that are await the phone call/email from Ryan good luck fingers crossed* 🙂
I was NOT disappointed by USC one bit. I actually enjoyed my date of interview and had a great time with the interviewers and interviewees. I have a couple friends that go there and they absolutely love it. When I entered the sim lab I saw students laughing and having a good time. During the presentation Ryan had already mentioned how costly the school is and what it provides, so its not like they were trying to hide anything.
I am still waiting on my call/email, but I have began to prepare for the next cycle just in case. Everyone that has been accepted, good luck in dental school. And the people that are await the phone call/email from Ryan good luck fingers crossed* 🙂
haha people laughing and having a great time. Get real man! Did you walk into the restrooms? Did you see the size of the pedo clinic downstairs? The school is unkempt, small, and not worth the $500K! During our interview, we had to change rooms because one of the projectors didn't work. That's a joke! I would not be happy there in a million years let alone four!
This goes for everyone, not just the poster above me
There are campus tours available, get to know someone that is currently going there to show you around
My advice is to don't waste your money on primaries, supplementaries, interviews if you don't plan to go
no point in wasting all that money and time just to complain about how much you didn't like it on sdn
you could have saved yourself the trouble if you did more research ahead of time
There are campus tours available, get to know someone that is currently going there to show you around
My advice is to don't waste your money on primaries, supplementaries, interviews if you don't plan to go
no point in wasting all that money and time just to complain about how much you didn't like it on sdn
you could have saved yourself the trouble if you did more research ahead of time
@boringbrian...i can't speak for everyone else, but my experience was pleasant and yours wasn't. lets just end it there.
I got accepted. Looks like that LA smog is already starting to blur everyone's vision. USC is just too expensive. I sat down and did a spreadsheet. With living expenses and interest you will be indebted $515,000. People are so desperate and overcome with emotion that it clouds their reasoning. I don't buy into hype like everyone else. The school did not impress me and just couldn't see myself being happy there for four years. After all, this is my youth. I don't want it to go to waste. I also forgot to mention that the neighborhood around USC is unsafe. Can you imagine wanting to go for a simple walk and you can't? Forget that!
Last edited:
dont forget a lot of people pick usc if they have hpsp scholarships or nhsc
you obviously dont have those options.
you obviously dont have those options.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted. Looks like that LA smog is already starting to blur everyone's vision. USC is just too expensive. I sat down and did a spreadsheet. With living expenses and interest you will be indebted $515,000. People are so desperate and overcome with emotion that it clouds their reasoning. I don't buy into hype like everyone else. The school did not impress me and just couldn't see myself being happy there for four years. After all, this is my youth. I don't want it to go to waste. I also forgot to mention that the neighborhood around USC is unsafe. Can you imagine wanting to go for a simple walk and you can't? Forget that!
Yet you are willing to waste it spending another year applying...interesting
Last edited:
I can say what I want..free country buddy. Plus I'm not the one that's mad. I'm actually sad because I thought wayy more of USC. After the interview though I was so disappointed. I was like no way I'm spending four years here and paying half a million dollars on top of it! Now I will reapply and work/travel for a year. I'm not like the rest of you desperate schmucks who have some sort of biological clock ticking to start dental school.
when did you become such an awful and hateful person?I can say what I want..free country buddy. Plus I'm not the one that's mad. I'm actually sad because I thought wayy more of USC. After the interview though I was so disappointed. I was like no way I'm spending four years here and paying half a million dollars on top of it! Now I will reapply and work/travel for a year. I'm not like the rest of you desperate schmucks who have some sort of biological clock ticking to start dental school.
did you not read that some people actually have hpsp and nhsc scholarships to pay for it all?
you could have taken a tour of the campus before hand and not wasted your time and money applying at all to usc this cycle.
Hateful? lol you are silly. Yeah I should of taken a campus tour! Would of saved me $180 bucks and a lot wasted time ..when did you become such an awful and hateful person?
did you not read that some people actually have hpsp and nhsc scholarships to pay for it all?
you could have taken a tour of the campus before hand and not wasted your time and money applying at all to usc this cycle.
Oh and btw good luck with the hpsp scholarship. You know what your problem is? You are easily influenced. Why don't you take a step back and analyze the situation logically instead of emotionally getting attached to usc. With the army scholarship you will be breaking your back for 3-4 years in a war zone. Away from your family and loved ones. You will constantly be sexually harassed. It's not fun.
Yeah your right lol. Have fun buddy!
Isn't it obvious? He only got this 1 interview to USC and didn't get accepted. Next cycle doesn't seem to have much hope for him either.Yeah... have fun reapplying kid. With that kind of attitude, you will need lots of luck next cycle. Oh and btw, I'm not attending USC, just don't understand why you take your anger out on this forum. You should be angry at yourself not getting any acceptances, not at the school.
Did you interview?just got rejected by email! not even mad haha
What do you mean by rejected? They didn't offer you any interview, right?just got rejected by email! not even mad haha
got WL since dec 2nd, still no changes..
I thought USC doesn't send rejections until class starts...
Got mine yesterday too. Never invited for an interview. I'm just happy they have the curtesy to send a response one way or the other, still waiting on UCLA...it's May after all
"We have arrived at the end of the application review period, and I'm sorry to report..."
Actually it's a nicely worded rejection. I know a few people are on their wait list and didn't get this so I'm assuming they expect some movement.
Good luck all!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody have any idea on how many people are in their wait list?
Everyone who interviews at USC is put on the wait list. They never know how much movement there will be, since some years a lot of people take the acceptance and attend USC. Other years, a lot of people reject the acceptance and there will be a lot of movement on the wait list.
x
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 361
- Views
- 83K
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 10K
- Replies
- 65
- Views
- 20K