*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Semper Fi Devil Dogs!

Active Duty:
MCRD San Diego, Mike Company, Plt 3087, Jun-Sept1998 [Pvt]
MCT Camp Pendleton, Hotel Company, Sept-Oct1998 [PFC]
MCCES 29Palms, Delta Company, Oct-Dec1998 (MOS 4066)
Okinawa JP, H&S Company, MCB Butler G6, Jan1999-Jun2002 [Sgt]
1st MAW, MAG 36, HMM 265, Mar-May2000 (CG2000)

Reserve:
4th MLG (formerly FSSG), 4th MedBn, H&S Company, 2002-2003
4th MAW, MACG-48, MWCS-48, H&S Company, 2004-2005 [SSgt]
4th MarDiv, 4th TankBn, Bravo Company, 2006
4th MarDiv, 4th TankBn, H&S Company, 2007
4th MarDiv, 4th TankBn, Alpha Company, 2008 (Deployed) [GySgt]

Education:
A.A., San Diego Miramar College (2002-2003)
A.S., Oakton Community College (2004-2005)
B.S. Computer Science, University of Illinois (2006-2007)
MEng Bioinformatics, University of Illinois at Chicago (2007-2010)

Volunteer/Clinicals:
Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton (Surgical, L&D, Radiology), 65hrs
Scripps Health Encinitas (ER), 86hrs
UCSD Cancer Center (Community Outreach), 20hrs
San Diego Young Marines (Drug Prevention), 340 hrs

Currently in the process of completing my graduate work but also pursuing programs that will allow me to finish premed requirements with the focus on getting into an MD program by 2012. Although I work full-time, go to school full-time, am in the reserves (just came off of deployment), and volunteer, I plan on quitting work to pull up my sciences GPA (currently at 3.0) and primarily focus on areas in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Marine. Why is it that I see former Marines doubting themselves, that's not typical for our breed. Not just you, but even some that I have met in college. If you finished an enlistment in the Corps, there is no reason to have doubts about doing something in life. If you want it bad enough, you will get it eventually, period.

Your stats and life/clinical experience's are good. If you want it, just pursue it!

You're right when it comes to the fact that it isn't typical for Marines to doubt themselves but, along the same lines, having doubt or fear can be humbling at times, however, it is the approach in which we handle these as Marines. This is where our training and experience takes control to overcome doubt with courage. Although, it would be entertaining to see a Marine take the approach of a DI in their application interviews!

My leadership experience in the Corps can be applied in the civilian side of the house as well but typically does not fair well most of the time. I've learned to adapt to different situations and feel that the Marine confidence can be overbearing or intimidating to some. At the same time, I think that once you take the "Marine" role out of someone it changes them. I still get nervous when giving presentations, going on interviews, taking finals, and still doubt my chances or abilities to get into medical school. In the end, they are these doubts that will motivate me to do better, to become more competitive, and to be more prepared for the challenges that lie ahead.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responseand support, BitingPlates. Just thought I would clarify the question I was asking - do you think with my age and previous grades that I have a shot at getting in to medical school. There is no doubt in my mind that I would would make it through medical school and become a doctor. After nine years in the Corps, even the most humble Marine develops an appropriately sized ego! I am concerned about some poor grades in the past (and one in nursing school) and the fact that I will be applying at the age of 36...

Yeah, just do well on the MCAT and your solid. Your grades are good though. Don't worry about age, seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right when it comes to the fact that it isn't typical for Marines to doubt themselves but, along the same lines, having doubt or fear can be humbling at times, however, it is the approach in which we handle these as Marines. This is where our training and experience takes control to overcome doubt with courage. Although, it would be entertaining to see a Marine take the approach of a DI in their application interviews!

My leadership experience in the Corps can be applied in the civilian side of the house as well but typically does not fair well most of the time. I've learned to adapt to different situations and feel that the Marine confidence can be overbearing or intimidating to some. At the same time, I think that once you take the "Marine" role out of someone it changes them. I still get nervous when giving presentations, going on interviews, taking finals, and still doubt my chances or abilities to get into medical school. In the end, they are these doubts that will motivate me to do better, to become more competitive, and to be more prepared for the challenges that lie ahead.

Well said, I absolutely agree.

Glad to see more marines with the same goals as me. I was a 3 time vet in OIF with MACS-1 Air Traffic Control. I was also stationed at Pensacola Florida and Miramar California. I am now going to school in San Diego as a Biology major. Good luck everyone!!!

Good Morning,

Quick Intro

Enlisted in Navy 1998-1999
USNA 1999-2003. 2.4 GPA in Physics (kicking myself now)
Commissioned in USMC 2003-
-TBS, MOS 0203
-IOC
-Scout Sniper Platoon Cmdrs Course
-SERE
-Ground Intel Officer Course
1/6
-Fallujah Mar-Sept 2005
-Ramadi Sept 06- April 07
PSCd to England-2007-2010
-UMUC- Bio I and II, 4.0
-University of Sussex this summer for O-Chem
-University of Salford, Master of Arts in Intelligence and Security
Studies (will finish dissertation in 2011)

I just finished Bio I and II and will be taking Organic Chem I and II this summer and the MCAT in August.

My 1st Choice is USUHS, 2nd U of South Dakota, 3rd a DO school. Looking at applying for Naval Health Professional Scholarship for 2nd and 3rd choice.

Like I said I am kicking myself now for messing around at USNA and getting a 2.4 GPA. My plan is to crush the MCATs and O-Chem , further improve my academic record with the Masters program, and parlay my 7 years of commissioned service and experience to overcome my low undergrad GPA.

Thoughts?

S/F

Capt B

Hey Spickett 50, I almost didn't reply because I'm sick of losing to you in football the past eight years, but I decided to be the bigger man and offer my thoughts anyway. I was a physics major at USMA and graduated in 2002, with barely a 3.0. I did well in my post bacc courses and the MCAT and got accepted to a few M.D. programs. Your military experiences will end up counting for a lot.

You're probably pretty sold on Navy, but there is an awesome new program offered by the Army National Guard which you can use while you're in med school. There is no obligation associated with it, so you can go back to the Navy afterwards (although I can't see why you'd want to.) Shoot me a message if you want more info on it and I'll be glad to forward it your way.

Beat Navy!

I didn't know how many marines were actually successful in completing the process to a career in medicine.

I am a Sgt from 2/24 reserve infantry company,and served two tours in iraq
sept 2004 to march 2005 and then Jan 2008 to sept 2008.

I am finding my application process to be somewhat difficult. having being a Marine and a student at the same time, my priorities were to my Marines and many times i had to put school aside, for this my scholastic success has suffered. However, as a Marine to the bone, i am inclined to not give up.

I am interested in what made the individuals of this thread to be successful and how they got there.

lastly, any advice that would help me in my endeavor to be a medical doctor ?

Thanks

Coast Guard for me; exiting active duty and matriculating Au.D. fall '09

I didn't know how many marines were actually successful in completing the process to a career in medicine.

I am finding my application process to be somewhat difficult. having being a Marine and a student at the same time, my priorities were to my Marines and many times i had to put school aside, for this my scholastic success has suffered. However, as a Marine to the bone, i am inclined to not give up.

I am interested in what made the individuals of this thread to be successful and how they got there.

Thanks

Welcome Marine, job well done. The application process is full of hoops we must jump through. If you want it bad enough you will get it. Your damn right that your Marines were your priority, that's what we are all about. You can explain everything about your grades and whatnot in your personal statement.

When I realized that I wanted to be a physician, and what it entailed to get into medical school, I made school my absolute number one priority. I took student loans to supplement my income, so I could have more time to focus on school, and made a lot of sacrifices just so I could have more time to study.

Last edited:
Coast Guard for me; exiting active duty and matriculating Au.D. fall '09

Umm. I didn't realize that the Coast Guard was part of the Department of the Navy/ U.S. Marine Corps?

Umm. I didn't realize that the Coast Guard was part of the Department of the Navy/ U.S. Marine Corps?

Our only Medal of Honor winner, Douglas Monroe, earned his Medal of Honor through providing cover fire for a large group of Marines in the Battle of the Pacific. The Marines and Coast Guard have a long history together.

Officially, in times of war, the Coast Guard becomes part of the Navy. Like the Marines, we could be considered "elite navy".

My enthusiasm for re-hashing such history has long waned, so if you wish to further educate yourself you will have to look elsewhere. It is not that difficult nowadays, I hear; all one must do is hit a few buttons on the keyboard, click a mouse and then up it pops on your screen! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thank you for making me feel welcomed into your thread. Judging by your warm and informed reply, you are not only knowledgeable of military history, you realize that we are all brothers and sisters under one flag. Semper Paratus! Or, as you say, Semper Fidelis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for making me feel welcomed into your thread. Judging by your warm and informed reply, you are not only knowledgeable of military history, you realize that we are all brothers and sisters under one flag. Semper Paratus! Or, as you say, Semper Fidelis.

Relax. You are right that we are all brothers/sisters under one flag, and thanks for your service. This thread was designed to keep all the Marines localized to one area to keep tabs on each other/ help each other out. I will be tactful and that is all.

Our only Medal of Honor winner, Douglas Monroe, earned his Medal of Honor through providing cover fire for a large group of Marines in the Battle of the Pacific. The Marines and Coast Guard have a long history together.

Officially, in times of war, the Coast Guard becomes part of the Navy. Like the Marines, we could be considered "elite navy".

My enthusiasm for re-hashing such history has long waned, so if you wish to further educate yourself you will have to look elsewhere. It is not that difficult nowadays, I hear; all one must do is hit a few buttons on the keyboard, click a mouse and then up it pops on your screen! :thumbup:

Your right, I was never taught any military history in the Marines, and I apologize for my ignorance. I took your advice and used google to find out about the "elite navy" you spoke about. U.S. Coast guard Colonel S.L SwabMaster assisted leading the battle of Inchon and Chosen Reservoir with Chesty Puller. Colonel S.L SwabMaster actually led most of the battles during these times. I also found that Coast guard Lieutenant C.S. shipmasterblaster lead some of the Marines to raise the flag at Iwo Jima. Lieutenant C.S. shipmasterblaster was the actual one who organized many of the beach landings during the Island Hopping campaign. Again I am really sorry for my ignorance to the history of the Coast Guard.

not trying to pick on a another branch of our great military but I always thought navy and coast guard were alike with one exception if the coast guard sinks they can walk to shore.

Not a marine but an FMF Corpsman. HN Henney

2006 Recruit Training Command
2007 Naval Hospital Corps School
2007 Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton
2007 Field Medical Training Battalion
2007 4th Medical Battalion DET 2 Phoenix, AZ
2009 4th LSB/6th Eng Sup BN DET 1 Tacoma, WA

Currently trying to be mobilized. Waiting for residency. Real close to my associates.

Looks like I am the youngest Marine here!! Where's my cake?!

2006 MCRD San Diego
2006-07 MCT Camp Pendleton
2007 2171 Electro-Optical Ordnance Repairman School (6 months of nerdy electronic school)
2007-Present 3rd Battalion 4th Marines 1st MarDiv(working 110+ hours a week in an infantry battalion armory)

2008-OIF-Hit, Iraq
late 2009(future) - OEF - oorah.

2010(future) - EAS as a Sergeant hopefully and start my journey to become a medical doctor.

I'm hoping with good grades and a good med school application, I can stay around my home town of the Los Angeles area.

Semper Fidelis all.​

Thanks
Worked my ass off. That is what made me successful. You have it in you I know so that should be the only advice you need but I will indulge. If opportunities present themselves take them, but be careful to not take on too much. Work your ass off. Use your military training and the values drilled into you as a Marine when studying, sitting in class, dealing with professors, etc. It will get you far. Work your ass off. Don't let anything hold you back. Work your ass off.

Seriously though, if you want it, do it. Being a Marine helped me every single step of the way. Good Luck.

Hey guys im actually a young marine who started the pre-med process before i joined and am now continuing it while i join. It will be worth it to be part of the former-marine corps mafia :D and i may be the youngest marine at 20!

20080310 Parris Island
20080616 Camp Lejeune MCT
20080716 Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD MOS School
20090123 Quantico, VA

my MOS is 2171 im an optics tech also known as fire control.

cool thread.

US Marine 9/1997-8/2007. the details are wicked boring. semper.

Looks like I am the youngest Marine here!! Where's my cake?!

2006 MCRD San Diego
2006-07 MCT Camp Pendleton
2007 2171 Electro-Optical Ordnance Repairman School (6 months of nerdy electronic school)
2007-Present 3rd Battalion 4th Marines 1st MarDiv(working 110+ hours a week in an infantry battalion armory)

2008-OIF-Hit, Iraq
late 2009(future) - OEF - oorah.

2010(future) - EAS as a Sergeant hopefully and start my journey to become a medical doctor.

I'm hoping with good grades and a good med school application, I can stay around my home town of the Los Angeles area.

Semper Fidelis all.​

Hey bud, I was a 2822. While not all that similar, I also got to go through 6 months of nerdy electronics school. We used to write our own cadence having to do with multimeters and stuff.

Hey bud, I was a 2822. While not all that similar, I also got to go through 6 months of nerdy electronics school. We used to write our own cadence having to do with multimeters and stuff.
:laugh:

Parris Island 1997, 2nd Bat, F CO.
VMFA-251 Avionics 1998-02
99-00 USS Kennedy Bright Star, Southern Watch
01-02 Enduring Freedom
Sgt.
University of Georgia 2008 PharmD
Medical College of Georgia C/O 2012 DMD

Semper Fi gents!

Parris Island - Dec 2004. 5 years of service, worked in signals intelligence, 18 months as a Sergeant, OIF, 41 days of terminal leave, EAS was last month. My hair is the longest it's been in five years.

Started undergrad classes six weeks ago with no college credit whatsoever, save for the semester or so I get from my SMART transcript. Been reading this forum for about a year or so, but this is my first post. Lots of good information here... Thanks to all the senior pre-meds, med school students, residents, and licensed physicians who are passing on good information and ending my ignorance.

I'll turn 24 in a month, am married (wife goes to same college as me, she will get her B.S. in Nursing in 2 1/2 years), no children, I work full time to pay the bills and my tuition/ my wife's tuition. Saving Post-9/11 GI Bill for Med School bills (the way the new one works, you "waste" money if you pay for state-school undergrad with it, so if I wait till med school [or grad school if med school doesn't work out] I get more of the money that I earned).

I'm pretty busy - adjusting to a classroom environment after taking five years off - and I will start shadowing and volunteering soon, but I work in IT, so during downtime at work, I frequent these boards.

I really, REALLY don't want to say Semper Fi to all of you, so I will instead say, "Reese's peanut butter cup pancakes are delicious."

Hey guys im actually a young marine who started the pre-med process before i joined and am now continuing it while i join. It will be worth it to be part of the former-marine corps mafia :D and i may be the youngest marine at 20!

20080310 Parris Island
20080616 Camp Lejeune MCT
20080716 Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD MOS School
20090123 Quantico, VA

my MOS is 2171 im an optics tech also known as fire control.

Fellow 2171!,

MUST BE NICE!!! Quantico! :)

29 palms, iraq, and afghanistan = SUCK!!!!

all very interesting expieriences though...

I wish you the best of luck in your transition from electro-optical ordnance repairman to medical doctor...

F*** optics!

And to the cal geek!
Test and Measurements Diagnostics Equipment Technician!!!

I honestly believe you have the only "nerdier" MOS in the marine corps!!! but i'm sure there are some out there I am omiting...

s/f all.

Happy Birthday Marines! 234 years of kicking ass and taking names!

I love the marines...... I am joining the Army but to me out of all the branches you are number 1....
I hope to be an Army doctor:xf::xf:
accepted UCF 2014

I love you for your sacrifice, commitment, and integrity. :love::love::love::love:

semper fi marines. stay hard drink a cold one tonight for our brothers deployed and at rest.

Happy 234th! Drink to the Foam!!

Wow, I actually just found this here. Didn't think the birthday wishes would be posted on this board, so I put my birthday wishes in my tag line.
Then I found this thread after the fact. :)

I am not a Marine; my dad was--all the way to the end. An awesome man, and I found out it was so true what my father had said
all along. . ."Once a brother, always a brother."

Those guys were beyond incredible to my dad when he was sick and at his funeral. I mean they stood together in an unreal way.

I can't think of the Marines without getting tears in my eyes. When I told one colonel thank you for everything, he replied,

"You want a job done. You get the Marines."

And it's so true.

I may not be a Marine, but I will support them for the rest of my life in any way possible. I wouldn't be the person I am if it weren't for my father, and much of what he gave to me had to do with his time as a vet and in service as a Marine. It never left him.

Our country and the world have benefited in ways that many forget or do not know of b/c of the Marines

Here's to Tun Tavern--not too far from me! And Here's to the US Marines and the Marine Corp!

i got this in the signature line of an email i got from another devildog yesterday"

"Violently destroy anyone who shows signs of unknowingly condemning
themselves to pain by standing opposite you in a show of force"

i thought it was pretty motivating.

My plan is to enlist with the Marines after I graduate, then go to medical school. I'm glad see so many people successful in doing that in this thread.

-MCRD San Diego, 0341 '05
-MCBH Kaneohe Bay, HI; 2/3 '06
-OIF, Haditha Triad, 06-07
-OIF, Fallujah, '08

I'm currently about 5 months from getting out and can't wait to start school FT and my journey to an MD. I'll be continuing my undergrad at a CC at the age of 25. I've been using these forums for a few months now and just now found this one, so I figured it would be an appropriate place to make my first post!

Yut!!!!

Rustifer, I believe we went to Fallujah together. 2/3 H&S from 07 to 09. Its a small world! Do you still live in Hawaii?

MCRD 07
MCBH K-Bay 2D BN 3D MAR 07-09
MCBH 3D MAR REG 09
Currently at I MHG Camp Del Mar.

I just discovered SDN two days ago, and I am happy I did. I am still currently enlisted, with around 9 months left in. I am taking night class at a local Community College and plan on transferring to UCSD or UCSF. I am very passionate about becoming a Doctor and I know I have a very long road ahead of me. Its nice to see educational/support networks like this.

Last edited:
Rustifier and 1bo,

2/3 as well. I was an 0341 from 2001-2005. Starting med school at University of Washington in the fall. Good luck to both of you.

Just thought I would let all of the Marines know I am accepted to OSU-CHS! I have posted several times on this list I am former 0311 2/3 Echo Company I sure am motivated to see the 3rd Marine Division represented here.

As a side note my interviewers expressing they were very impressed with Marines so I don't care what the civilians say we have an edge when we interview.

Just thought I would let all of the Marines know I am accepted to OSU-CHS! I have posted several times on this list I am former 0311 2/3 Echo Company I sure am motivated to see the 3rd Marine Division represented here.

As a side note my interviewers expressing they were very impressed with Marines so I don't care what the civilians say we have an edge when we interview.
oorah devil!
Congrats and good luck!

I am interviewing at my first choice in a few weeks!

Congrats, dudes!

Let me tell you, the Marine thing is a big deal once you're in. You won't be like 99% of your classmates and you'll stand out.

Gents I saw your thread and thought I had to jump on board. Although, I'm afraid of poisoning the waters here having not gone boot camp.

Boston University 2003 BA Biochemistry Molecular Biology
EMT-B in Massachusetts 99-03
OCS 2002
TBS 2003 - 7599 (Pilot manna be)
Flight school 2004-2006 - 7565 (AH-1W Pilot)
HMT-303 2006
HMLA-267 2006-2010
13th MEU (Bonny Dick)
OIF
31st MEU (Mamma Essex)
3D LAR 2010-Present - 7502 AirO
one more winter in Afghan then I can write my resignation.

Looking to apply to USUHS for the fall 2012
Getting current clinical experience during PTP is a pain in the ***, but at least my wife is supportive. Any other O's making the transition?

Welcome...

How is the BHR holding up? I was on the maiden voyage in '00 with the 15th MEU. It was odd to be usign a new piece of equipment.

Gents I saw your thread and thought I had to jump on board. Although, I'm afraid of poisoning the waters here having not gone boot camp.

Boston University 2003 BA Biochemistry Molecular Biology
EMT-B in Massachusetts 99-03
OCS 2002
TBS 2003 - 7599 (Pilot manna be)
Flight school 2004-2006 - 7565 (AH-1W Pilot)
HMT-303 2006
HMLA-267 2006-2010
13th MEU (Bonny Dick)
OIF
31st MEU (Mamma Essex)
3D LAR 2010-Present - 7502 AirO
one more winter in Afghan then I can write my resignation.

Looking to apply to USUHS for the fall 2012
Getting current clinical experience during PTP is a pain in the ***, but at least my wife is supportive. Any other O's making the transition?

Last edited:
0621 1st ANGLICO CAMP PENDLETON, I have three years left trying to get my As in Bio, biochemistry, or chemistry before I get out, proving to be a challenge because we leave for Afghanistan again in eleven months. Any advise to help me on my way to Med school?? I'll be going to community college until I get my aa. Is that bad or looked down ? What worked for you, how did you become successful or unsuccessful? Lets hear everyone's journey. Thank you all. I don't know about everyone else on here but it gives me a huge motivation jump to read these, and makes me believe that maybe my dream is reachable thank you again.. LCPL PARSONS USMC

I was so shocked to see this thread. I am in the middle of my journey. Heres the Stats"
Parris Island (aka Real Marine)1995
5811 Military Police, Camp Pendelton 1996-1999
US Army (ok, you can tee off on me now)1999-2004
Radiology Technologist
CT Technologist
Radiology Director
Business Degree
Iraqi Freedom
In the middle of finishing Pre-reps
Plan to bring acceptance letter ( when I achieve) to Navy Recruiter
Wife
Kids

0621 1st ANGLICO CAMP PENDLETON, I have three years left trying to get my As in Bio, biochemistry, or chemistry before I get out, proving to be a challenge because we leave for Afghanistan again in eleven months. Any advise to help me on my way to Med school?? I'll be going to community college until I get my aa. Is that bad or looked down ? What worked for you, how did you become successful or unsuccessful? Lets hear everyone's journey. Thank you all. I don't know about everyone else on here but it gives me a huge motivation jump to read these, and makes me believe that maybe my dream is reachable thank you again.. LCPL PARSONS USMC

Welcome Marine! Since you are still a boot, you are going to find it will be somewhat difficult to knockout your classes because of deployments/field ops, and typical Marine Corps bullshiit that they seem to pull out of their ass. Just make sure to take the bull by the horns, rock those classes, don't take too many classes at once if you seem to be struggling. I wouldn't pass up deployments(sometimes you can get out of small stuff) either, a huge part of being a Marine is traveling and seeing the world along with your brothers. Stay out of trouble, and just stay motivated as well as taking it one day at a time.

When school issues are discussed with SNCOs you can always say that you think you want to get a commission, which might help you get permission to take courses. Good luck brother!