*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOORRAA my brothers! I just discovered this thread and I am so glad that I am not alone! You guys (and gals) really motivate me. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and others on the SDN forum.

Boot Camp (Parris Island) 1990
Comm School 1991
2D MarDiv & MCB Camp Lejeune (now pronounced Le-jern!!) 1991-93
MSG school & AMEMB Turkey/France 1993-96
2D MAW MACG 28 Comm Sqd 28 1996-97
MECEP 1997
El Cid 1997-2000 gpa 3.699 B.A. History
Commissioned in USMC 2000
TBS, MOS 0402
3D FSSG HQSVC BN (Okinawa) 2001-03
II MEF 2D MHG
-Ramadi Aug 04-Mar 05
-Ramadi/Fallujah Sept 05- Mar 06
NPS 2006-08 gpa 3.64 MSc Management
HQMC M&RA (current tour)
[Note: Almost 20 years!!! Woot-woot!]

Taking OChem class at a local university to meet pre-reqs. I am currently weighing my options on where to go from here. (USUHS, NHSP, & etc.) Not married (divorced) and no kids...so my options are open.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. It has helped me out tremendously!!
Capt B

Members don't see this ad.

OOORRAA my brothers! I just discovered this thread and I am so glad that I am not alone! You guys (and gals) really motivate me. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and others on the SDN forum.

Boot Camp (Parris Island) 1990
Comm School 1991
2D MarDiv & MCB Camp Lejeune (now pronounced Le-jern!!) 1991-93
MSG school & AMEMB Turkey/France 1993-96
2D MAW MACG 28 Comm Sqd 28 1996-97
MECEP 1997
El Cid 1997-2000 gpa 3.699 B.A. History
Commissioned in USMC 2000
TBS, MOS 0402
3D FSSG HQSVC BN (Okinawa) 2001-03
II MEF 2D MHG
-Ramadi Aug 04-Mar 05
-Ramadi/Fallujah Sept 05- Mar 06
NPS 2006-08 gpa 3.64 MSc Management
HQMC M&RA (current tour)
[Note: Almost 20 years!!! Woot-woot!]

Taking OChem class at a local university to meet pre-reqs. I am currently weighing my options on where to go from here. (USUHS, NHSP, & etc.) Not married (divorced) and no kids...so my options are open.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. It has helped me out tremendously!!
Capt B
Welcome aboard, Marine. Let me know if you have any questions!

Not a marine but an FMF Corpsman. HM3(FMF) Henney(4 year E4, looking to put on HM2 in May)

2006 Recruit Training Command
2007 Naval Hospital Corps School
2007 Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton
2007 Field Medical Training Battalion
2007 4th Medical Battalion DET 2 Phoenix, AZ
2009 4th LSB/6th Eng Sup BN DET 1 Tacoma, WA
2009-10 4TH Light Armored Recon B CO 2ND PLT
Deployed to AFG for OEF

Attending Bellevue College and transfering to UW. Sophomore. Going HPSP or FAP and then getting out again.

Members don't see this ad :)
2007 MCRD San Diego
2007 ITB Camp Pendleton
2007 MCSFT Chesapeake, VA
2007 8th&I
2009 Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon

MOS: 0311/8152

I EAS Nov 2011. Glad to see a bunch of fellow Marines on here!

I got my first acceptance, class of 2015! Perseverance is the key!

ERRRAHHH gents! Glad I found my fellow Marines on SDN.

- UGA 2008
- OCS 2008
- TBS 2009
- 0206 2009
- 6 weeks left on Okinawa
- PCS to Lejuene, taking a night Gen Chem course at UNC-Wilmington
- EAS 2012; 1 year back at UGA for the rest of my post-bacc courses
- 2014 matriculation :xf:

Anyone have any experience at Onslow Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville? Going to try to volunteer there 2 nights a week.

Semper!

ERRRAHHH gents! Glad I found my fellow Marines on SDN.

- UGA 2008
- OCS 2008
- TBS 2009
- 0206 2009
- 6 weeks left on Okinawa
- PCS to Lejuene, taking a night Gen Chem course at UNC-Wilmington
- EAS 2012; 1 year back at UGA for the rest of my post-bacc courses
- 2014 matriculation :xf:

Anyone have any experience at Onslow Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville? Going to try to volunteer there 2 nights a week.

Semper!
Semper Fi, sir!

I was stationed at CLNC from 2007-2009, before I got out. I don't really know anything about Onslow Memorial, but I lived in Jacksonville, and there is no way the E.D. doesn't see a disproportionately large amount of trauma for the size of the town. Especially on Fridays of pay weekends.:thumbup: Crazy Devil Dogs...

Good luck with gen chem, though I don't think you'll struggle much as an S2 officer.

MCRD Paris Island Feb 2002
MCT June 2002
0511 MOS School Little Creek, Va Aug 2002
I MEF G-3 Dec 2002
Operation Iraqi Freedom (invasion) Jan 2003
Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF II) Jan 2005 - Jan 2006
Lateral Move to 0211 / Counterintelligence (Jan 2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Hadithah, 2d Bn/3rd Marines) Sept2006-April2007
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Fallujah, 3rdBn/5thMar) Sept 2007-April 2008
Counterintelligence Instructor, Damn Neck Va, May 2008 - Aug 2010

Now going to school full time hoping to get in medical school!
Oorah, good luck gents!

Keep strong guys. I'm about one year from finishing residency in Emergency medicine. It can be done!

If you ever get beat down by the journey, think about how this process is our own version of a knightly quest. It's good to have goals.

Semper Fi

ERRAH and welcome John.

You seem to have your head on straight and priorities in order. Great job starting out with your 3.9. Whatever you're doing, keep it up.

For research, approach your science professors and see if they need any help and express your desires. Also, there is a wide variety of summer research programs that have been discussed at length on SDN. Just search "summer research programs."

As for volunteer work, you shouldn't be too hard pressed to find non-clinical opportunities. To get volunteer clinical experience and shadowing, what works best is to show up to a local hospital/clinic in slacks/nice shirt/tie and express your interest directly.

Lastly, keep the MCAT in your sights. The MCAT forum on here has everything you need, to include prep materials and study suggestions.

Good luck and Semper Fi!

Hello all,

I was wondering if any successful or current applicants know much about what would happen if the AMCAS is submitted without the SMART transcript. Is it absolutely necessary? Will its absence be noted? There are some courses that I took many years back from an online college that I pretty much blew off, and the bad grades are there on the SMART transcript.

Anyone have relevant experience with this? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, former 0341 Marine here. I'm applying this cycle. Did any of you guys attend USUHS? That's my TOP choice school and I would love to go there one day. I'm looking for a mentor from USUHS so please give me a PM if you have time to give me advice. Thanks!

Semper Fi

Hello all,

I was wondering if any successful or current applicants know much about what would happen if the AMCAS is submitted without the SMART transcript. Is it absolutely necessary? Will its absence be noted? There are some courses that I took many years back from an online college that I pretty much blew off, and the bad grades are there on the SMART transcript.

Anyone have relevant experience with this? Thanks all.

Navy here, not Marine, but I found whether SMART matters all depends on who reviews your file. I had three friends from the Navy start med school last year and they didn't know anything about it. The reviewer who did my primary flagged saw "navy" and flagged my app for not having the transcript, which I didn't even know existed since I never attended any of the schools listed on the AMCAS pdf file.

Are you talking about online military training courses, or actual college courses? If military type stuff, you could submit and see if your reviewer flags it (although at this point in the cycle it could prevent you from being verified for weeks). If it's actual college courses, you need a transcript from the college. The AMCAS position is if anything you did in the military has been marked as "college equivalent credit" you need a transcript, hence why I have college credit for SERE school according to AMCAS. The Navy, in it's infinite wisdom to "help" automatically generates a transcript for every single service member, so if your reviewer flags your primary, you'll have to submit it (it's super easy, just annoying).

I was not a Marine, BUT I was in the Army and I was raised by a Marine. I have had a lot of discipline in my life.:) It is still military service no matter what branch.

I was signal corp which translates to "computer nerds of the military" or so I am told.

Hey everyone,

Current 0621 here. I've been in for three years and am going to school at UMUC (online). Prior to joining the Marine Corps, I graduated high school with a 1.7 GPA, used all six of my Texas college drops, and ultimately left college with a 2.5. Needless to say, I was an academic mess with no end goal in mind. Now, I am set to graduate this year with a BA in History and a 3.9 GPA. My next step is to take my pre-req classes at a brick and mortar university after I EAS next year. I know I have a very long road ahead of me, but I will do whatever it takes to get into medical school and pursue my dream of being a doctor. I look forward to posting my updates here.

Semper Fidelis,
The Ugly American

I was not a Marine, BUT I was in the Army and I was raised by a Marine. I have had a lot of discipline in my life.:) It is still military service no matter what branch.

I was signal corp which translates to "computer nerds of the military" or so I am told.

Curious why you did not join the Corps, being raised by a Marine?

Happy Birthday Marines!!!

A MESSAGE FROM THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS

For ten years now, our Corps has been engaged in continuous combat operations
against those who threaten the security of America and our allies. We turned the tide in the Anbar province of Iraq and continue to see success today in southwest Afghanistan. While it has come at a cost. .. we have much to be proud of.

This past year in operations around the world including humanitarian disaster
relief, counter-piracy, theater security cooperation, special operations, counter-insurgency and many more, you continued to solidify our place as America's Expeditionary Force in Readiness. Since the Continental Congress created two battalions of Marines 236 years ago, our legacy as an ever-ready, ever capable, victory producing organization remains intact.

Our rich heritage of selfless service and fidelity to Nation and to one another lives
on in all who currently wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor - those who have answered the clarion call to duty with remarkable courage, dedication and unshakable resolve that Marines are so well known for. To all Marines - past and present - and especially to our families ... I extend my deep gratitude for all you have done and all you continue to do.

As we celebrate our 236th birthday, let us look forward to future challenges whatever they may be - and reaffirm our pledge to be America's premier crisis response force; to be the first to fight... Always ready for the toughest and most challenging assignments.

Happy 236th Birthday, Marines!

Semper Fidelis,

JAMES F. AMOS
General, U.S. Marine Corps

http://youtu.be/s0XpK1QHP2s

even on your own, with studying and everything else, there's always time for birthday cake...

Attachments

• 4041440262431_ORIG.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 35
I'm honored to be a part of this tread. I just received news of my acceptance for the class of 2016 :).

I served as an 0341 from 12/02 to 12/06 and served three tours to Iraq.

Horrah!

I'm honored to be a part of this tread. I just received news of my acceptance for the class of 2016 :).

I served as an 0341 from 12/02 to 12/06 and served three tours to Iraq.

Horrah!

Mortars! Merry freakin' Christmas and congrats!

Today, your heart go to Jesus...but your ASS belongs to the CORPS!

Well, ladies, glad I found this thread. Thought this forum was inhabited by mostly tools.

I see that most of you are youngins.

1985: Parris Island, 0352/0311.
Subic Bay, Barracks Duty (San Miguel).
Unitas/WATC
0321/8654, 2nd Force Recon Co, 3rd Plt. Jump, Scuba schools. Went to Ranger school for fun (actually one of the best military schools around).
1994: BA, Cornell University.
MD, Brown-Dartmouth Combined Medical Program.
Residency in Emergency Medicine, Brown University.
2002-present: Attending ED physician at a Trauma center in New England.

Semper Fi to all

Last edited:
Hey Gents,

Tried cowboying, lawyering and small business in West Texas. About to finish BS in Biology w/minor in Chemistry at a small state school here. I know, no one told me age was an obstacle. Aiming for Texas Tech and family practice.

Thank you all the "Docs" and army medics on this web. (Used to love to hear Blackhawks were inbound in the Sandbox.)

Best of luck to all of you Jarheads. You'll do fine. (The dean of my law school told me they let in on the Marine quota that year. Graduated 2nd in the class.)

S/F
OCS 1975
TBS 1976
0302/9952
BLT 1/3
A 3d Recon
RIP School OIC Recon Boat Locker
USMCR OIF with G3 2d MarDiv

Hoorah, Teufelheundens,

Parris Island - Jan 2002 (At 29 years old)
SOI East Camp Geiger, NC April-June 2002
Camp Pendleton Echo Company 2nd Bn 5th Marines Ist MARDIV July 2002 (0311)
OIF 1 March 2003 Kuwait--> IRAQ crossed LOD as FTL meched up in Tracks
OIF 2 June-November 2003 STABO Ops (Corporal in Combat Meritorously)
OIF 3 Sept2004-Mar 2005 RAMADI Iraq during Phantom Fury
Return CONUS with a little shrapnel souvenir, promoted to Sergeant and squad ldr

2006 EAS
Back to Houston, Texas working at Law firm in IT
2009 University of Houston, Anthropology/Pre Med
Work with returning OIF/OEF Vets with Wounded Warrior Project and LSVA
Volunteer at VAMC on trauma recovery unit and shadow at UTMB
Graduating UH in Dec 2012
Gpa 3.97 MCAT next march and apply in May of 2013

Good luck all,
Semper

TexAnth

I love seeing so many Marines here.
-OCS (PLC) 2008-2009
TBS 2011
NAS Pensacola, FL 2011-12
NAS Corpus Christi, TX 2012-?

Currently in the never ending aviation pipeline. Picking up 1st Lt in August. Hoping to knock out my pre reqs when I get to the fleet. At this point I'm shooting for Cobras, but jets are pretty tempting. If I select helos I'll EAS at 31, jets I'll be 34, both of which seem old as hell. Married, first kid is on the way, due November.

Well, ladies, glad I found this thread. Thought this forum was inhabited by mostly tools.
Wait... you have to choose between being a tool and a Marine? ;)

Well, ladies, you gots to be a little crazy to want to wear the EGA, right?

Heck, why not take the easy way and go Army or Navy?

WHY?

'Cause the only easy day was yesterday!

Why, can't believe, I've been practicing for 10 years, mostly nights.

Guess what else? I've been seriously toying with the idea of getting back in as a military physician.

Prob Navy Reserve. But, been thinking about the Army Reserve as well.

If'n you pansies have any questions about med school, application, residency, esp EM, or being an attending, just PM me.

Remember, there are 3 keys to success: mindset, skillset, & toolset.

The Corps has already taught you the proper mindset:
(1) Never quit
(2) Improvise, adapt, & overcome
(3) Attention to detail
(4) Take care of your men/troops & complete the mission
(5) Heck no, I ain't volunteering for nothing!

Carry on!

Except that you're thinking of letting Uncle Sugar have another go at you. ;)

Don't worry, I always toy with the same thought....

Hey guys, quick update about myself.

5th Force Recon
3rd Recon Battalion
2nd Force Recon Co

Just graduated from Mercer University School of Medicine, and I matched at Emory for PM&R, with an IM prelim year in Savannah, Ga (hometown).

Can't believe I posted in this thread years ago before I was in med school, and now I'm graduated and moving on to residency. Time flies when you're getting tail handed to you I guess.

Aarugha

My granddaddy was a horse Marine..Oh sh.t, what? Haha!

So I know that being former Marines we are generally pretty awesome dudes and dudettes, and we know how to conduct business/mission accomplishment. Got a question though.

For the physicians and medical students here, what specialties are you in, or are pursuing? So far I really like surgery
Hmmm I wonder if we could put BAMF after our medical degree haha?

Semper Fidelis gents

I'm a prior squid and had the privilege to party hardy with the devildogs at the embassy in Peru on my embassy tour.

Quick question for any of you. Did any of you guys list things like military awards. I am not seeing spaces to put things from the military. I went ahead and put military leadership things on the college leadership section. I am wondering what you guys did with awards and such?

The application is written for college kids and not for people those of us who have done more. Any suggestions?

I'll try to answer the above 2 posts:

Specialty: EM, practicing 10 years. I seriously looked at Trauma, Ortho, and Plastics. But that would have been longer. I was 30 when I started med school. EM fits me. Although at 47, I'm seriously thinking about cutting back or doing 10k's instead of half marathons. The nights are harder to recover.

As for military awards: just make sure it's pertinent to what you want. My application was geared towards my goal to be an EM or Trauma physician. It emphasized thoughtfulness and decisiveness. It was about being able to gather data, parallel process, and implement, usually under duress and a timetable. Thus, I put in my scuba school, jump school, Ranger school, rappelling/ropes instructor, leadership awards.

Truthfully, I don't know if it helped or hurt. But it was different than the average bear.

I suspect schools are looking for various applicants. I prob wouldn't have fit in to some.

I do know it definitely helped to get a job.

I got hired right off the initial interview during residency. Come to find out that the group had several Naval flight surgeons. One AF. They hired 2 former Marines in the EM group and a Naval aviator. We had one PA (was a Corpsman) and one tech (Ranger).

I'll try to answer the above 2 posts:

Specialty: EM, practicing 10 years. I seriously looked at Trauma, Ortho, and Plastics. But that would have been longer. I was 30 when I started med school. EM fits me. Although at 47, I'm seriously thinking about cutting back or doing 10k's instead of half marathons. The nights are harder to recover.

As for military awards: just make sure it's pertinent to what you want. My application was geared towards my goal to be an EM or Trauma physician. It emphasized thoughtfulness and decisiveness. It was about being able to gather data, parallel process, and implement, usually under duress and a timetable. Thus, I put in my scuba school, jump school, Ranger school, rappelling/ropes instructor, leadership awards.

Truthfully, I don't know if it helped or hurt. But it was different than the average bear.

I suspect schools are looking for various applicants. I prob wouldn't have fit in to some.

I do know it definitely helped to get a job.

I got hired right off the initial interview during residency. Come to find out that the group had several Naval flight surgeons. One AF. They hired 2 former Marines in the EM group and a Naval aviator. We had one PA (was a Corpsman) and one tech (Ranger).
I pretty much agree with what you wrote. Military awards were helpful in my admission to the school I matriculated at. But you had to meet admission criteria otherwise.

I'm in EM and just finished training.

Semper Fi Marines,

Paris Island/ Platoon 3053/ Mike Company / 3rd battalion.
Last duty station Quantico, VA

Attending VCU SOM and extremely excited. God bless!

... probably because he was raised by a Marine. :D

I just seen this reply so I apologize for how long it took me to reply. Umm.....that is about right :laugh: My stepfather sorta overfed me with the Marine Corp and I just wanted something else. I did go into the Marine Corp office at one point so it pulled me a little bit. I was playing the Marine Corp hymn on my flute when I was a little girl, we had memorabilia all over the house, I had to help him put our Marine Corp and U.S flag up in the morning and down at night on our little porch, he complained about his biological son that got kicked out of basic all the time and to be honest....he was a straight up d***

So although he probably inspired my interest in the military and he did give me discipline, sometimes I wanted to beat the crap out of that man because he treated me like I was in basic training half the time. If I retaliated against him I was an ungrateful b*****, if I took his crap and did not stand up for myself I was a weak p**** according to him. So yea...the fact I was raised by a Marine that was such a jerk is why I ended up going with the Army ;)

At least I didn't go into the Navy or Air Force :laugh:

Gratz to all of you by the way. I like seeing military people succeeding at civilian goals like this, it upsets me to hear about Vets that are barely living on unemployment and pretty much being tossed aside by society. "Thank you for your service to our country, but we are hiring that other guy next to you and don't really care what happens to you now"

Long time lurker, just finally made an account. Former 0311, MCRD San Diego 07, SOI and then orders cut to 1/3 MCBH Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Deployments, Iraq winter of 08-09, Afghan winter of 09-2010. EAS'ed July 2011.

Med School Graduation 2019
Current Anesthesia Resident, feel free to PM me if you have questions!

Last edited:
...jumped right up and shouted "I'M A JARHEAD!"

MCRD Parris Island '98
NAS Pensacola/Jax for 6072 'A' & 'C' schools '99
MALS-29 GSE MCAS New River '99-'01
VMGR-152 MCAS Futenma '02-'03
Long-haired, wandering hippy phase '03-'05
USCG PTSP New Jersey (pitstop) '05
USCGC Rush Hawaii '05-'06
Airsta San Diego '06
AET 'A' School E-****ty NC (AGAIN with NC!!) '06
Airsta Clearwater '07-'10

Started college classes 'for keeps' while in the CG, aiming to be good enough to get into nursing school when I got out, ended up with about 60 credit hours and all A's, surprisingly (3 C's and a B from Coastal Carolina CC while in the Corps being the only exception, lesson learned; don't take classes just to get out of field days) and I made the choice this last semester to change my major to Biology/Health Sciences as HPU (which I attend now) has a premed track and I thought, I'd rather be last in my class as a doc than valedictorian of my nursing class, wondering why I didn't at least try for med school.

So, here I am, one semester into my premed journey (I've basically only got my prereqs to finish off, so ~4 semesters) and grateful to have found SDN as there are few premeds at HPU and my advisor is just about useless. Even better that I've got some brother (and a sister too) Marines around to remind me that I'm not alone and that others have gone before me and accomplished the mission. I can too.

And I will. Can I get an Urrrr-AH!!

Okay, I'm a little odd.

Graduated High School 1997
Graduated CL from WSU with BSCS, BSBA 2001

Employed by US Government as a contractor out of Aberdeen MD

Enlisted Dec 2001 03xx

MCRD San Diego Feb 2002
ITB Camp Pendleton June 2002
Iraq Jan 2003-July 2003
Iraq Aug 2004-Mar 2005
Iraq Mar 2006-Sep 2006
PMI (9535) Nov 2006-July 2007
Shoulder Surgery Aug 2007
Lat Move 2008 to Computer Network Technician (0651)
MOS school 29 Palms CA April 2008-June 2008
Platoon Sgt July 2008 Aug 2010 Yuma AZ
Recruiting School 2010
Recruiting Duty (8411) 2010 - Present

I've always been interested in medicine and science, but I had a good paying job guaranteed to me as long as I met the pre-reqs, so I instead focused on computers and business while I was in college.

I'm currently on the downward slope (6 mos till PCS!!) on what has easily been the most difficult job I've done. And being I've been out of school for almost 12 years, I actually ended up buying biology, chemistry, and advanced algebra high school textbooks from Amazon to sort of refresh my brain. We'll see if it works.

I've had 2 more shoulder surgeries since, and I'm pending medical retirement as a result. I plan to get back to CA where my wife has an excellent job, and enroll at SDSU as a nontraditional pre-med student.

Glad to see so many fellow Marines on here who break the stereotype that

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

Semper Fi Marines!!

Parris Island May 2001
K 3/24
OEF/OIF II 2004 - Fallujah, Iraq

Finished medical school last month and waiting on the Match (few more weeks). Applied for Neurology.

Jesus H. Christ, its been more than one year since the last post on this motivating thread...er, slowly dying thread, I don't check this site too much anymore since I pretty much got what I needed then split...damn, that's messed up. Special thanks to Capt./Doctor Lee Burnett for putting SDN out there for the masses. I would like to keep up by following blogs or motivating websites if anybody's got them. PS, Biting Plates is a beast!

Reactions: 1 user