*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It has been 12 years since I enlisted!

Getting recalled back in between a semester put me back a year and a half.
I was going to do the chiropractor gig, and then I pulled my head out of my ass!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked for Lockheed Martin for a couple of years as a network engineer. I did that so my wife could finish her degree. Now our roles are reversed.

It seems like it took you guys a few years after you separated to decide you wanted to do Medicine? What did you all do in the meantime?

9 years since enlistment:

4 years USMC
3 years college
0.5 year retail
0.5 year VA clerk
~1 year VA research.

time keeps slipping away ...

complacency is a bitch, and sets in hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
6173 CH-53D/E Crewchief/Mechanic 94-02 E-5

I feel like I'm right on the edge of being great and then sometimes I feel like I dont have a chance in hell. I was in the corps, straight out of H.S. 8 years. Then worked for a few as an aircraft mechanic and got my but into college. Picked up a physics degree (GPA 3.4) minor in chemistry, too. But, I feel like I'm bombing...

It all started last year with organic. Went from a C first term to a C- second term to a D- third term. It really took the wind out of my sails. Had a good GPA but, Orgo killed it. So, being almost broke, just split with my girl (+ custody battle X2) unemployed, fresh out of college, got a mortgage, visa bills, school loans and trying to apply to med school this year. Put the MCAT off twice, now I'm scheduled for Sept 12 (almost the last possible day) Plus, I registered up at University of Oregon to take a 3 week Organic retake for the spring term D-.

I don't know what is going on. Can't get motivated. I have been studying MCAT but, been getting like 23's on Brett's Gold Standard exams. I'm just so stressed and can't figure out how to calm down and realize this is the rest of my life I'm fooling with. Can't get on track, I supose I need a little bit of motivation. Just can't get on track.

How do I figure this thing out, .... ideas? plz, help a jarhead out!:(

6173 CH-53D/E Crewchief/Mechanic 94-02 E-5

I feel like I'm right on the edge of being great and then sometimes I feel like I dont have a chance in hell. I was in the corps, straight out of H.S. 8 years. Then worked for a few as an aircraft mechanic and got my but into college. Picked up a physics degree (GPA 3.4) minor in chemistry, too. But, I feel like I'm bombing...

It all started last year with organic. Went from a C first term to a C- second term to a D- third term. It really took the wind out of my sails. Had a good GPA but, Orgo killed it. So, being almost broke, just split with my girl (+ custody battle X2) unemployed, fresh out of college, got a mortgage, visa bills, school loans and trying to apply to med school this year. Put the MCAT off twice, now I'm scheduled for Sept 12 (almost the last possible day) Plus, I registered up at University of Oregon to take a 3 week Organic retake for the spring term D-.

I don't know what is going on. Can't get motivated. I have been studying MCAT but, been getting like 23's on Brett's Gold Standard exams. I'm just so stressed and can't figure out how to calm down and realize this is the rest of my life I'm fooling with. Can't get on track, I supose I need a little bit of motivation. Just can't get on track.

How do I figure this thing out, .... ideas? plz, help a jarhead out!:(
Hey Man,

First thing I want to say is that you've already accomplished alot. You're definitely not a failure.

The second, however, is that you might want to try and get a handle on your life before you take the MCAT and apply to med school.

Look, you've got a ton on your plate right now, what with the split, custody battle, unemployment, etc. And those problems aren't going away if you get into med school. Though it may seem like med school is the glorious promised land, it's actually an even bigger stress ball than you can imagine. If you're not really ready, stable, and prepared to take the MCAT, let alone start school, maybe you ought to take a deep breath, concentrate on getting your personal life squared away, and then take the MCAT/apply. I'm pretty sure that your scores will improve. And maybe all that stress has something to do with the suboptimal performance this year????

Just a thought man.

I don't supose you're right, I know you're right. The fact is that I have really gone for broke ($$$) with this application year. Everything is in place and I know I have the brain power for it. I just need the focus to finish strong and I know I can get in. I don't want to wait another cycle to apply... when I'm so close. I have letters, EC's and can write a strong essay.

My organic retake starts 18aug thru 5sept MCAT one week later the 12th. I just need to wrap up my physics, gen chem, and bio. Organic can be reviewed during those 3 weeks during the retake.

I guess I know what I need to do, I just am hitting every road block imaginable. And, I'm almost at the end of my monetary rope.

If I can at least score a 30 on the MCAT and a B in the Orgo 3rd term retake, do you think I have a chance with the schools I have chosen?

See my MDApp profile...

Jarheads... anyone getting secondaries or interviews for 2009 yet?

Jarheads... anyone getting secondaries or interviews for 2009 yet?

Secondaries but no interview offers yet. I was waiting on a delinquent LOR until a few days ago. Check out my md applicants account for more info.

Still waiting to get verified, should be any day now.

I never realized this thread was here, therefore this is my first post in it. I was discharged in Jan. 2005 after 5 years as a helicopter mechanic. I then went on a contract job to Al Asad for a year after which I started school. I will be graduating this December. I have currently applied to 19 allo and 6 osteo schools. I have been on two interviews (ECU and Wake). I have three more scheduled (USUHS, Drexel, LMU-DCOM), and two pre-interview holds (Penn State and Kentucky). I am just waiting to hear from everyone else. Good luck to everyone else applying. Oh yeah and Happy Birthday!!!

233 years, and still kicking a**. Happy birthday

Good luck to all of you working hard on getting in to med school. Remember to keep your eye on the ball and try not to lose sight of why you're doing it.

Can I get a shout out from the residents???

and....

Happy Birthday, Devil Dogs!!!

USMC-EGA-Eagle-Globe-&-Anchor-Painted.jpg

Semper Fi

Members don't see this ad :)
happy birthday marines. first you learned to kill, now you learn to heal...

My USMC birthday celebrations used to be spirited and festive. We drank untold amounts of alcohol into the wee hours of the morning whilst the band bravely played on. We would stumble back to the barracks and collapse on our racks only to be woken a little bit later for PT. The weakest of the revelers would inevitably fall out for an early morning offering to the storm drain or the lawn. I hated the cruelness of having to endure this torture on the morning after the holiest of Marine Corps holidays. Of course, I only increased the run distance when I was finally in charge of PT. Pain is weakness leaving the body after all. We all have a little bit of sadist in us. Ahh, fond memories.

Now my birthday celebration consists of cheap beer, TV, my computer, and my couch. What are you all up to tonight?

Didn't drink any beer watched monday night football, did cut a cupcake with a knife though. Remembered the good old days when the birthday cake was sliced via the sword.

I am glad that this post is still going strong. I found this post a few years back when I did a search for Marine Corps to M.D. and I found SDN. Semper Fi.

Didn't drink any beer watched monday night football...

same here. i was so sick after those last few seconds of play, i was stunned. i will make up for it though, lol. its wierd now being out because all my peoples are all over the world, and i was at the firehouse watching football, being the only one to know or care that was the Marine Corp's birthday.

its wierd now being out because all my peoples are all over the world, and i was at the firehouse watching football, being the only one to know or care that was the Marine Corp's birthday.

I know exactly what you mean. We never forget though. I actually had someone say happy birthday to me at the gym, they saw the USMC tattoo on my arm. He wasn't a former, but his dad was a retired Marine.

Just writing to say "Thank You" to all the Marines reading and writing on this forum. In OCS GySgt Watson taught me how to walk, talk, eat, sleep at attention and with a rifle, poop in a bag, build a smokeless fire, call in an air strike, fire an M-60, fire an M-16, wake up to flash-bangs, how to tread water in a flight suit - for 2 hours, how to swim 1/2 a mile with a brick, how to address Marines, train poopies, live on one meal and one hour of sleep per day, how to appreciate "discomfort," run 110 miles per week for a month, run in formation while throwing up and not missing a step, speak in a tone loud enough for everyone to hear, fold underwear and mummify with cement for inspection, how to keep my locker locked and why I should keep it locked, how to respect fear and drive through it, how to take beach sand - bag it - and bring it upstairs into battalion 2 for a session of attitude adjusting, become "drown proofed" in the SUYA, how to recover a buried canteen, walk with my chest out, and to never ever accept failure. He gave me my first salute, but I respected him more than many of my Navy counterparts. Maj. Dan Allen taught me how to fly a T-34 to point where the wings were about to break off of the fuselage, and if they did fall off, I could still fly the damn thing. Maj. Tito Martinez helped me learn how to fly onto and off of carriers...something that took patience and that "loving" Marine Corps spirit :smuggrin:. So, happy belated birthday to the Marines. Every Navy officer has the birthday engraved in his head, along with the Navy & Marine Corps song, and his personal GySgt Watson. OOOOORAH

Gents,
I'm new here and found this great forum. I am active duty, deployed, and will be seperating from the Corps this Spring to start college. The goal is med-school, but does anyone have any advice for a 27 year old starting his undergrad? Besides get a 4.0 and ace the MCAT??
And this is a ways off for me, but in my apps to said med-school, will it be at all helpful to get, say, an LOR from a General? Since it will basically be 5 years old, would it still be relative? And do college boards recognize our rank and awards, etc? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Gents,
I'm new here and found this great forum. I am active duty, deployed, and will be seperating from the Corps this Spring to start college. The goal is med-school, but does anyone have any advice for a 27 year old starting his undergrad? Besides get a 4.0 and ace the MCAT??
And this is a ways off for me, but in my apps to said med-school, will it be at all helpful to get, say, an LOR from a General? Since it will basically be 5 years old, would it still be relative? And do college boards recognize our rank and awards, etc? Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

I think a current LOR from a general would help you, but a 5 year old letter may not be worth a lot to an admissions committee. They are more interested in academic type letters first, then character letters. I don't think admissions people know much about military awards or rank. I spelled out each and every award I received and what it was for/etc... when I applied. I also explained my rank and the responsibilities associated with my position.

Don't even worry about the MCAT right now, just focus on finding something interesting to major in and doing well. You can pick whatever major you like as long as you do the pre-med curriculum also (2 semesters w/lab each of gen bio/chem/physics and o-chem ... calculus, english, and stats depending on which schools you apply to).

Just focus on doing well and don't get hung up on the future at the expense of the now (or vice-versa). Perform to your high standards and everything else will fall into place.

Here is a post from a former adcom member from a few weeks ago regarding veteran applicants that is pretty good.

Good Luck and Semper Fidelis

Am I allowed to post here? (cringe)

I'd look into your GI Bill before you get out of the service. You have two options available to you when you get out in Spring of 2009.

There's the current GI Bill, which you can add $600 to and receive roughly $5400 back (as $150 a month extra on top of your normal GI Bill). The current GI Bill pay rate for Full Time (12+ Hours) is roughly $1500 a month, if you invest the extra $600. If you decide to do so, you have to invest it while on active duty.

The other option is the "new" GI Bill (effective 01Aug2009), which pays money to the school for your tuition and gives you a housing stipend each month (I think it's equivalent to E-5 with dependents BAH).

I'd look these programs up on the VA site
http://www.gibill.va.gov/

and search SDN.

Better to know now and have time to make an educated decision.

Thanks for your service and best of luck.

Thanks Gents. I needed to be more clear, I will be attending college starting Fall of 2009 using the "new" G.I. Bill. But thank you for the heads up, and I don't think anybody minds a reply every now and then from a squid. :laugh: Any other pointers as I venture into the "real world" would be appreciated! Semper Fi!

I actually have some extensive experience working with corpsmen and Army medical personnel. I am an EMT and spent a deployment assisting in a combat hospital. Basically doing blood draws and IV's, etc, but it was quite an experience. It's where my desire to pursue medicine stems from.

Happy Thanksgiving Devils!!

Just wanted to give a warm happy thanksgiving to all!!!!

just wanted to let my brothers, and fellow applicants, know that i was accepted to LMU-DCOM last week. turns out the acronym for MARINES does not hold water, good luck to the rest of you out there.

just wanted to let my brothers, and fellow applicants, know that i was accepted to LMU-DCOM last week. turns out the acronym for MARINES does not hold water, good luck to the rest of you out there.
Congrats man! :thumbup:

I hope that you celebrate appropriately. :D

Congrats brotha!

way to go. like i have said elsewhere, Marines get smarter and smarter it seems every year. when you got 19 and 20 y/o's leading combat patrols sucessfully, you cant say these guys are dumb.

way to go. like i have said elsewhere, Marines get smarter and smarter it seems every year. when you got 19 and 20 y/o's leading combat patrols sucessfully, you cant say these guys are dumb.

Great point!!!! So how goes the pre-med fight with everyone? I saw that we have had a few acceptances amongst our ranks!!! Great job to all those who got the thumbs up!!!

What's up guys?

Just about four months [:eek:] from finishing medical school. Cannot believe that it's almost over. Doing EM which seems the perfect field for a Jarhead. :)

Oh, and the Marine thing is a big hit on the interview trail. :thumbup:

You'll have to come back in a few months and let us know where you wind up. Do you have your rank order list finalized yet?

Glad to hear that your Marine experience is highly regarded on the interview trail. It's certainly helped me with my med school application process.

I'm calling you out MARINES.

I'm trying to to keep tabs on all the Marines-turned-docs that post on SDN. There aren't many of us, thus it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with one another. Please post here or PM with your story and progress. This includes residency folks and beyond as well, if ya'll don't mind.

I'll go first:

-Parris Island, 0311/8152 (Security Forces)
-North Island, San Diego (MCSFCo)
-Pendleton 2/1, WestPac '97, 15th MEU, USS Boxer (LHD-4)
-'93-'97, E-4
-Married 10 years
-2 kids, 7 and 3
-Biochem major/Occidental College
-2 years cancer clinical trials research/radioimmunotherapy

1st year student at COMP in Pomona, CA. So far so good. Want to match Ortho ot EM three years from now.

So I know we got Evo (by the way Evo, like the new avatar) and there is an old salt dog named Teufel around here. Panda Bear too.

Let's go gents, fall-in! If you're the quiet type...PM please. That'll work just as well.

Parris Island April 04-July 04
MCT Camp Geiger July-August 04
NAS Pensacola Airframes School August-December 04
MCAS New River V22 Osprey Airframes C School - January-March 05
VMMT-204 Airframes Division - March 05-September 07
3/6 H&S Co Motor T - September 07 - December 08
VMMT-204 Tool Room Division - December 08 to February 09 (getting out in 3 weeks)

Picked up Sergeant finally on last September 1, but it's time to get out, regardless of what the signing bonus is. I want to become a doctor!

Participated in OIF with 3/6 out in Fallujah, Iraq, April-October 2008. Vehicle commander in motor transport platoon...rode in MRAPs, 7 tons, Humvees. Had to get out of the wing for a little bit, especially since I was in a nondeployable unit.

Anyways, moving back to Orlando, and going to finish up my AA degree at SCC-Oviedo. Transfer to UCF in Spring of 2010, majoring in history. Looking forward to it.

Parris Island April 04-July 04
MCT Camp Geiger July-August 04
NAS Pensacola Airframes School August-December 04
MCAS New River V22 Osprey Airframes C School - January-March 05
VMMT-204 Airframes Division - March 05-September 07
3/6 H&S Co Motor T - September 07 - December 08
VMMT-204 Tool Room Division - December 08 to February 09 (getting out in 3 weeks)

Picked up Sergeant finally on last September 1, but it's time to get out, regardless of what the signing bonus is. I want to become a doctor!

Participated in OIF with 3/6 out in Fallujah, Iraq, April-October 2008. Vehicle commander in motor transport platoon...rode in MRAPs, 7 tons, Humvees. Had to get out of the wing for a little bit, especially since I was in a nondeployable unit.

Anyways, moving back to Orlando, and going to finish up my AA degree at SCC-Oviedo. Transfer to UCF in Spring of 2010, majoring in history. Looking forward to it.

Welcome aboard Marine.

How is everything coming along for those who have applied for 2009 admission? I just got two interview invites that are going to be in the next few weeks.

How is everything coming along for those who have applied for 2009 admission? I just got two interview invites that are going to be in the next few weeks.

I can't complain about how my cycle is going. I applied to 15 schools, withdrew from 3, got 10 interviews and 5 acceptances. I'm going to UCLA in a few weeks then I'll be done unless Stanford comes a knockin' ... which I'm not holding my breath for. Only certified rejection so far is Mayo. Check out my mdapplicants profile for specifics.

Interviewing as a confident adult certainly seems to help, even moreso than my military experience (which has also been a plus). I've really been able to spot varying degrees of humility and authenticity between applicants on my interviews. My last interview was blind and the guy was blown away by how genuine I was. He told me a lot of applicants come across like they have a prepared speech when he asks about their life and motivations, said I was a breath of fresh air.

Good luck on your interviews. Are these your first two?

:luck::luck::luck:

I can't complain about how my cycle is going. I applied to 15 schools, withdrew from 3, got 10 interviews and 5 acceptances. I'm going to UCLA in a few weeks then I'll be done unless Stanford comes a knockin' ... which I'm not holding my breath for. Only certified rejection so far is Mayo. Check out my mdapplicants profile for specifics.

Interviewing as a confident adult certainly seems to help, even moreso than my military experience (which has also been a plus). I've really been able to spot varying degrees of humility and authenticity between applicants on my interviews. My last interview was blind and the guy was blown away by how genuine I was. He told me a lot of applicants come across like they have a prepared speech when he asks about their life and motivations, said I was a breath of fresh air.

Good luck on your interviews. Are these your first two?

:luck::luck::luck:

Yes these are my first two. I only applied to a few schools, and the one of the interviews is at my first choice.

-MCRD San Diego, 0341 '05
-MCBH Kaneohe Bay, HI; 2/3 '06
-OIF, Haditha Triad, 06-07
-OIF, Fallujah, '08

I'm currently about 5 months from getting out and can't wait to start school FT and my journey to an MD. I'll be continuing my undergrad at a CC at the age of 25. I've been using these forums for a few months now and just now found this one, so I figured it would be an appropriate place to make my first post!

Yut!!!!

Beyone awsome: Rustifier you're in my old batallion! 2/3 I was 0311, stay motivated you'll be fine

Hey Guys,
I'm brand new to this site, and I can't even tell you guys how awesome it is to find other Marines on here who are pursuing/practice medicine. I'm about to finish up my undergrad here @ Uconn with a Major in Psych/minor in Physiology Neurobiology and part of the Pre-Med program (obviously). As I'm about to embark on the whole application/MCAT process I would love to hear some of your guys' experiences going through Med School etc. after getting out of the Corps... HUGE culture shock for me, personally. Either way, glad I found you guys. S/F.

-Ian (Sgt USMC retired)

-Parris Island (2nd Bn Golf Co.) June - Sept 01
- Camp Lejeune, NC School of Infantry (0351) Sept - Nov 01
- Charlie Co. 1/25 (4th MarDiv)
- 2nd Mar Div Camp Lejeune, NC Jan 03 - May 03
- UDP Okinawa Japan, 3rd MarDiv, May 03 - Aug 03
- CTF-53 Anti Terrorist Task Force OEF/OIF, Persian Gulf, Iraq, Bahrain Aug. 03 - Nov. 03
- 1st MarDiv 29 Palms Nov. 05 - March 06 (Mojave Viper, CAX)
- OIF 5-7 Fallujah Iraq, 5th Marines, CMOC March 06 - Oct 06, (11KIA, 143 Wounded - RIP)
- Honorable Discharge: August 2007

Hey, glad to see another Marine doing this. I am 3 months from graduation from USUHS, the military medical school. Whenever you decide to apply to schools, don't forget about USUHS. I can give you 100 reasons why offline. Let me know if I can help you with any questions etc.

Rohul
formerly Sgt/USMC
'98--02

errrr

I've definitely been weighing that out as one of my options... I'm still not sure what route to go army/navy. And what's the commitment like? Thanks for the warm welcome by the way, yut.

Hey, glad to see another Marine doing this. I am 3 months from graduation from USUHS, the military medical school. Whenever you decide to apply to schools, don't forget about USUHS. I can give you 100 reasons why offline. Let me know if I can help you with any questions etc.

Rohul
formerly Sgt/USMC
'98--02

errrr

Hey man. Talked to you along time ago, we were in the same unit. Whats are you getting into now?

Hello all,

Just thought I would add to the ranks of Marines on this board. I just made the decision to finish my second BS in Biology and apply to med school. Have been accepted at my alma mater and am starting back in the Fall. Would love any and all advice from my fellow Devil Dogs. So here is my history:
1995 - MCRD Parris Island
1995-1996 - DLI, Monterey, CA (Arabic), then Goodfellow AFB, TX for "tactical training"
1996-1999 - CLNC, 2nd Radio Battalion as a 2671 (Arabic cryptolinguist)
Sadly, no deployments, as female Marine linguists never
went anywhere back then...
2000-2003 - Recruiting duty, 9th USMC Recruiting District, Chicago, IL,
EAS 11/2003 as a SSgt
2004-2008 - California State University, BS in nursing
2008 - working as an RN in local level 1 trauma center
2009 - comissioned 2nd Lt in Reserve Army Nurse Corps (gotta finish that retirement...) and returning to school to complete 2nd BS in bio (already have half of the science courses done with good GPA, not great, though)

Married to a former Marine who is now a farrier (horseshoer), also a full time student, possible application to Vet school in the future

I have a step daughter, lots of animals (big and small) and love, love, love living near 3 national parks - outdoor adventures galore!

My husband and I both miss the USMC like crazy, but are happy doing what we do now. Nursing is not as nerdy as I would like and having to always wait for orders gets old so fast... I should have put more thought into this decision, but was nervous about getting out of the military after so many years and returning to college. Turns out, I am smarter than I thought and I love the sciences (was an English major pre-USMC).

Any thoughts? Oh, I do have a question - I have some ugly grades from 1992-1994, making my cumulative GPA a 3.5 right now for all school (including BSN, DLI and science courses). Only "bad grade" recently is a C in L&D/post partum nursing clinical (1 credit, I think), mostly due to instructor/student conflicts. I work PP and AP quite often now and love it... If I make an effort at straight A's for the rest of my cirriculum, do you think I have a shot?

Not a Marine, but I married one. I have heard enough OORAH's and SEMPER FI's in my lifetime that you would swear I did my time in the Corps. Just had to throw that out there. LOL

do you think I have a shot?

Welcome Marine. Why is it that I see former Marines doubting themselves, that's not typical for our breed. Not just you, but even some that I have met in college. If you finished an enlistment in the Corps, there is no reason to have doubts about doing something in life. If you want it bad enough, you will get it eventually, period.

Your stats and life/clinical experience's are good. If you want it, just pursue it!

Thanks for your responseand support, BitingPlates. Just thought I would clarify the question I was asking - do you think with my age and previous grades that I have a shot at getting in to medical school. There is no doubt in my mind that I would would make it through medical school and become a doctor. After nine years in the Corps, even the most humble Marine develops an appropriately sized ego! I am concerned about some poor grades in the past (and one in nursing school) and the fact that I will be applying at the age of 36...

Thanks for your responseand support, BitingPlates. Just thought I would clarify the question I was asking - do you think with my age and previous grades that I have a shot at getting in to medical school. There is no doubt in my mind that I would would make it through medical school and become a doctor. After nine years in the Corps, even the most humble Marine develops an appropriately sized ego! I am concerned about some poor grades in the past (and one in nursing school) and the fact that I will be applying at the age of 36...

3.5 overall really isn't that bad. It's lower than the median at most schools, but certainly within the range of what is acceptable. Given that most of your "bad" grades are from 15 years ago, I don't think they'll count against you too much. Make sure to get official transcripts from your old colleges to check for forgotten or hidden skeletons. These will be handy when you get ready to apply. As long as you do well on the MCAT, keep your grades up, and apply broadly, you will be fine and you should have a good shot.