***The Official UTHSCSA Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Started by Chubz0924
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview #6
School: UT Health San Antonio
Notification date: 8/31/18
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: Utah
TMDSAS mail-out date: 5/21/18
Application complete date: 6/18/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.65, 3.64
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/27/22/21/none
 
Last edited:
FIRST INTERVIEW!!
School: UTHSCSA
NOTI DATE: 8/31/2018
RESIDENCY: TX
TMDSAS SUBMITTED: 8/16/2018
GPA: sGPA-3.86 oGPA: 3.84
DAT: AA-22 TS-23 NONE BELOW 17
 
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Like what types of questions they usually like to ask?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Received an interview offer today, and just made an SDN account last week specifically for dental school interviews.:laugh:

Interview #4

School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 9/25/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 21/21/20/24/22/21/20
Interview Date: October 15th

I don't have the most recent ADEA Dental School Guide, but does anyone know what percent of those interviewed (OOS) get accepted?
 
Interview #2
School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 9/25/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/28/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.77, 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 22/22/24
Interview Date: October 15th
 
Received an interview offer today, and just made an SDN account last week specifically for dental school interviews.:laugh:

Interview #4

School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 9/25/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 21/21/20/24/22/21/20
Interview Date: October 15th

I don't have the most recent ADEA Dental School Guide, but does anyone know what percent of those interviewed (OOS) get accepted?
For Texas, i believe roughly around 3ish per school.
 
Was there ever a confirmation email sent to you guys that your application had been received?

I'm thinking of calling because I really wanted an interview
 
Was there ever a confirmation email sent to you guys that your application had been received?

I'm thinking of calling because I really wanted an interview
I received a confirmation email about a week after I sent in my application. The email said that if you are invited to interview, they will notify you via email 2 weeks in advance. The email did not explicitly mention anything about calls, so I think you should be okay to call Admissions. Don't lose hope, the best is yet to come!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview #2
School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 9/25/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/28/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.77, 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 22/22/24
Interview Date: October 15th
Did you apply using aadsas? Tmdsas is strictly for tx residents right?
 
For future OOS applicants it benefits you to apply through TMDSAS instead of ADSAS because the Texas schools like being able to read all three essays.
 
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Do they still make your write an essay?

Interview #2
School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 10/9/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.50, 3.46
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 20/20/17
Interview Date: October 22nd
 
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Do they still make your write an essay?

Interview #2
School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 10/9/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.50, 3.46
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 20/20/17
Interview Date: October 22nd

No essay, there are two interviews, one with a faculty member and one with a student. They are both laid back, and they only have access to your essays that you submitted in your application, nothing else. It’s an awesome school and everyone was very welcoming and friendly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Does anyone know their current progress with going through the completed apps? I submitted around mid to end of September so am I supposed to wait a bit more?
 
I submitted through TMDSAS on 7/9/2018 and received a confirmation email from UT Health on 8/7/2018. I saw that some people heard back within a month though. Hopefully more of us hear something soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think someone said that interview invites get sent out every two weeks (not sure if thats true) but if thats the case, then the next batch should be sent out next Tuesday?

Thats what I think. Only thing I'm seeing is that it seems like the school give you 2 weeks prior to the interview, but if they send the invite on 6th, it's going to be either 19th or most likely post-december (23rd is thanksgiving and idk if schools do interview a week before december 1st)
 
Hm, sounds reasonable. Has UTHSCSA been behind on interviews or something? I know some other friends of mine have wondered the same thing. Dallas interviewed me in early September so I guess I'm just thrown off haha.
 
Hm, sounds reasonable. Has UTHSCSA been behind on interviews or something? I know some other friends of mine have wondered the same thing. Dallas interviewed me in early September so I guess I'm just thrown off haha.

Any tips for A&M? I'm actually getting interviewed there on Wednesday. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could share some info!
 
Could you tell me how the questions were like? do they ask questtions based off of your essay?

I would say the overall application
"tell me more about...."
-extracurriculars
-certain volunteer experiences
-low grades/DAT,etc.
-family

or what do you do to relieve stress. stuff like that.

but then again it depends who your interviewer is
 
I would say the overall application
"tell me more about...."
-extracurriculars
-certain volunteer experiences
-low grades/DAT,etc.
-family

or what do you do to relieve stress. stuff like that.

but then again it depends who your interviewer is

Thank you so much!!!
 
Any tips for A&M? I'm actually getting interviewed there on Wednesday. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could share some info!
Sorry it took so long to reply to your question, I've been busy. The interview is pretty laid back and they are just looking to get to know you as a person. There are 3 interviewers and you interview either before lunch or after. I'd suggest reviewing your essays and volunteer events before going.

EDIT: On a side note, anyone get an email from uthscsa for an interview today or yesterday?
 
Sorry it took so long to reply to your question, I've been busy. The interview is pretty laid back and they are just looking to get to know you as a person. There are 3 interviewers and you interview either before lunch or after. I'd suggest reviewing your essays and volunteer events before going.

EDIT: On a side note, anyone get an email from uthscsa for an interview today or yesterday?

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing.

No email from uthscsa yesterday and today 🙁
 
Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing.

No email from uthscsa yesterday and today 🙁
No problem! Also, more than likely one of the people interviewing you will be Dr. Miller (the chief of recruitment and admissions).

Well, hopefully they send something out this week
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the chances of acceptance after the interview?
Besides depending on how you performed in your interviews and how you interacted with everyone throughout the day, I'd say that depends how you stack up against other interviewees that year. However, you should first consider that to get the interview they had to have liked you on paper so the only real other factors to examine were character, values, motivation (for dentistry), and the like--stuff that people generally get a better feel for in person.

I will say though that having one or a combination of these definitely increases your chances for acceptance:
  1. A strong research/clinical background
  2. Military background (I mean, this is kinda obvious. Dr. Malone himself was even a retired Army dentist with 25 years of service and he's the director of admissions lel)
  3. Graduating or graduated from a favored university (Yes, they have preferred universities. I promise you. Any current medical, dental, etc. student will confirm this)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.