***The Official UTHSCSA Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz0924

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one yet, so I figured I would start one!

Link to interview prep: University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like UTHSC San Antonio started sending out interviews as of yesterday!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #6
School: UT Health San Antonio
Notification date: 8/31/18
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: Utah
TMDSAS mail-out date: 5/21/18
Application complete date: 6/18/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.65, 3.64
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/27/22/21/none

Last edited:
FIRST INTERVIEW!!
School: UTHSCSA
NOTI DATE: 8/31/2018
RESIDENCY: TX
TMDSAS SUBMITTED: 8/16/2018
GPA: sGPA-3.86 oGPA: 3.84
DAT: AA-22 TS-23 NONE BELOW 17

Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Like what types of questions they usually like to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received an interview offer today, and just made an SDN account last week specifically for dental school interviews.:laugh:

Interview #4

School:
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Notification date: 9/25/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 21/21/20/24/22/21/20
Interview Date: October 15th

I don't have the most recent ADEA Dental School Guide, but does anyone know what percent of those interviewed (OOS) get accepted?

Interview #2
School:
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/28/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.77, 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 22/22/24

Received an interview offer today, and just made an SDN account last week specifically for dental school interviews.:laugh:

Interview #4

School:
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 21/21/20/24/22/21/20

I don't have the most recent ADEA Dental School Guide, but does anyone know what percent of those interviewed (OOS) get accepted?
For Texas, i believe roughly around 3ish per school.

For Texas, i believe roughly around 3ish per school.
Do you know the most recent number of OOS applicants that receive an interview from UTHSCAS, and a number of OOS interviewees that get offered an acceptance?

Was there ever a confirmation email sent to you guys that your application had been received?

I'm thinking of calling because I really wanted an interview

Was there ever a confirmation email sent to you guys that your application had been received?

I'm thinking of calling because I really wanted an interview
I received a confirmation email about a week after I sent in my application. The email said that if you are invited to interview, they will notify you via email 2 weeks in advance. The email did not explicitly mention anything about calls, so I think you should be okay to call Admissions. Don't lose hope, the best is yet to come!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how friendly this school is to oos?
All Texas schools are notoriously in-state biased. Don't blame them; extremely cheap and great programs.

They even have their own state application if that tells you anything.

When will they release the next batch of interview invites?

Interview #2
School:
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/28/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.77, 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 22/22/24
Did you apply using aadsas? Tmdsas is strictly for tx residents right?

For future OOS applicants it benefits you to apply through TMDSAS instead of ADSAS because the Texas schools like being able to read all three essays.

For future OOS applicants it benefits you to apply through TMDSAS instead of ADSAS because the Texas schools like being able to read all three essays.
It said for OOS to apply through the AADSAS application. So I did, had I known I would’ve done the TMDSAS!

It said for OOS to apply through the AADSAS application. So I did, had I known I would’ve done the TMDSAS!

It says that OOS have the option to apply through TMDSAS or AADSAS. I applied through TMDSAS and I’m glad I did. It’s also cheaper to apply to all three through TMDSAS

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Do they still make your write an essay?

Interview #2
School:
Notification date: 10/9/2018
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.50, 3.46
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 20/20/17
Interview Date: October 22nd

Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Do they still make your write an essay?

Interview #2
School:
Notification date: 10/9/2018
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.50, 3.46
DAT (AA/TS/RC): 20/20/17
Interview Date: October 22nd

No essay, there are two interviews, one with a faculty member and one with a student. They are both laid back, and they only have access to your essays that you submitted in your application, nothing else. It’s an awesome school and everyone was very welcoming and friendly.

Does anyone know their current progress with going through the completed apps? I submitted around mid to end of September so am I supposed to wait a bit more?

Does anyone know their current progress with going through the completed apps? I submitted around mid to end of September so am I supposed to wait a bit more?
I submitted in May, and I haven’t heard. So it’ll probably be a while.

I submitted through TMDSAS on 7/9/2018 and received a confirmation email from UT Health on 8/7/2018. I saw that some people heard back within a month though. Hopefully more of us hear something soon.

Since December 1st is on a Saturday, does that mean we have to wait until the 3rd which is Monday to hear about acceptance or rejection?

Since December 1st is on a Saturday, does that mean we have to wait until the 3rd which is Monday to hear about acceptance or rejection?
Not 100% sure but their email did say the first acceptances would be made on the 1st

Any more interviews get sent out yet?
I think someone said that interview invites get sent out every two weeks (not sure if thats true) but if thats the case, then the next batch should be sent out next Tuesday?

I think someone said that interview invites get sent out every two weeks (not sure if thats true) but if thats the case, then the next batch should be sent out next Tuesday?

Thats what I think. Only thing I'm seeing is that it seems like the school give you 2 weeks prior to the interview, but if they send the invite on 6th, it's going to be either 19th or most likely post-december (23rd is thanksgiving and idk if schools do interview a week before december 1st)

Hm, sounds reasonable. Has UTHSCSA been behind on interviews or something? I know some other friends of mine have wondered the same thing. Dallas interviewed me in early September so I guess I'm just thrown off haha.

Hm, sounds reasonable. Has UTHSCSA been behind on interviews or something? I know some other friends of mine have wondered the same thing. Dallas interviewed me in early September so I guess I'm just thrown off haha.

Any tips for A&M? I'm actually getting interviewed there on Wednesday. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could share some info!

Any tips for A&M? I'm actually getting interviewed there on Wednesday. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could share some info!
A&M was pretty chill! Super laid back and felt like more of a conversation.

Could you tell me how the questions were like? do they ask questtions based off of your essay?

I would say the overall application
"tell me more about...."
-extracurriculars
-certain volunteer experiences
-low grades/DAT,etc.
-family

or what do you do to relieve stress. stuff like that.

but then again it depends who your interviewer is

I would say the overall application
"tell me more about...."
-extracurriculars
-certain volunteer experiences
-low grades/DAT,etc.
-family

or what do you do to relieve stress. stuff like that.

but then again it depends who your interviewer is

Thank you so much!!!

Sorry it took so long to reply to your question, I've been busy. The interview is pretty laid back and they are just looking to get to know you as a person. There are 3 interviewers and you interview either before lunch or after. I'd suggest reviewing your essays and volunteer events before going.

EDIT: On a side note, anyone get an email from uthscsa for an interview today or yesterday?

Sorry it took so long to reply to your question, I've been busy. The interview is pretty laid back and they are just looking to get to know you as a person. There are 3 interviewers and you interview either before lunch or after. I'd suggest reviewing your essays and volunteer events before going.

EDIT: On a side note, anyone get an email from uthscsa for an interview today or yesterday?

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing.

No email from uthscsa yesterday and today :(

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing.

No email from uthscsa yesterday and today :(
No problem! Also, more than likely one of the people interviewing you will be Dr. Miller (the chief of recruitment and admissions).

Well, hopefully they send something out this week

Just received an interview invite, they scheduled me for December 3rd.

What are the chances of acceptance after the interview?

What are the chances of acceptance after the interview?
Besides depending on how you performed in your interviews and how you interacted with everyone throughout the day, I'd say that depends how you stack up against other interviewees that year. However, you should first consider that to get the interview they had to have liked you on paper so the only real other factors to examine were character, values, motivation (for dentistry), and the like--stuff that people generally get a better feel for in person.

I will say though that having one or a combination of these definitely increases your chances for acceptance:
  1. A strong research/clinical background
  2. Military background (I mean, this is kinda obvious. Dr. Malone himself was even a retired Army dentist with 25 years of service and he's the director of admissions lel)
  3. Graduating or graduated from a favored university (Yes, they have preferred universities. I promise you. Any current medical, dental, etc. student will confirm this)

Status
Not open for further replies.