The Official VCU Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread

does that mean that if we were accepted on Dec. 1 and still haven't received an in state scholarship, then we probably aren't getting any aid?
I don't know for sure. I would guess if you didn't hear about anything upon admission, you didn't get it. You can always call and ask. However, there're general scholarships that are based on need and academic history but those usually amount to $500. These are given a little bit later into the semester. After your first year, you can apply for multiple private scholarships. After your first year and you are ranked, you will receive scholarship money (top ten gets you around $5,000) based on where you stand.

Members don't see this ad.

/so people who got waitlisted can get a call anytime, but how about people who didn't even get an interview?
Are there a lot of post-december invites?

I know there are schools that offers a lot and some that don't offer at all.
How is VCU?

Reactions: 1 user
/so people who got waitlisted can get a call anytime, but how about people who didn't even get an interview?
Are there a lot of post-december invites?

I know there are schools that offers a lot and some that don't offer at all.
How is VCU?

I have heard there are a lot! My friend just received an interview invite today, and plenty of my friends who are in d school now, heard back late in the cycle. Don't lose hope, friend! Hope to see you next year!

Official fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/837584662967498/

Members don't see this ad :)
So my status was changed on 11/30 to "Received/Application Complete" from "DAT received, 3 letter of evaluation received, blah blah." Just this past week, a couple people I know got interview invites while I've heard nothing. Should I take this as a bad sign? I'm tempted to contact admissions expressing some kind of intent because I am literally losing sleep over the anxiety, VCU is my #1 choice so I gotta make this happen.

So my status was changed on 11/30 to "Received/Application Complete" from "DAT received, 3 letter of evaluation received, blah blah." Just this past week, a couple people I know got interview invites while I've heard nothing. Should I take this as a bad sign? I'm tempted to contact admissions expressing some kind of intent because I am literally losing sleep over the anxiety, VCU is my #1 choice so I gotta make this happen.
At least you had an update. I haven't even had an update since mid-August. I went to 3 schools for interviews (all 3 accepted me) and received 5 more additional ones but not a single update from VCU. I guess I'm not what VCU wants.

I emailed them expressing interest and they responded back saying thank you for your interest in our program and we will be interviewing for the next couple of months. VCU is my first preference but sadly there isn't much we can do but wait. I'm trying to accept that fact and stop having nightmares of not getting in :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard there are a lot! My friend just received an interview invite today, and plenty of my friends who are in d school now, heard back late in the cycle. Don't lose hope, friend! Hope to see you next year!

Official fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/837584662967498/

thanks for the encouraging words.
I was really losing hope on a lot of schools I applied to, including VCU, maryland, penn, pitt, boston, nyu, etc, etc.
I can't believe I haven't even heard back at all from a lot of schools I applied to.

At least you had an update. I haven't even had an update since mid-August. I went to 3 schools for interviews (all 3 accepted me) and received 5 more additional ones but not a single update from VCU. I guess I'm not what VCU wants.

at least you have an acceptance (or more) !!

at least you have an acceptance (or more) !!

Besides VCU I applied to NYU and Boston as well and no word either. Do we have similar stats/similar AADSAS application date submitted? I'm trying to figure out why people like you and me haven't heard anything!

EDIT: No idea why my signature isnt showing but here's my stuff:
21 AA | 19 TS | 21 PAT
GPA: 3.4 | sGPA: 3.32
AADSAS Submitted: 06/27/14 | DAT Received: 09/02/14 | Mail-out: 09/05/14 (12th batch)

Besides VCU I applied to NYU and Boston as well and no word either. Do we have similar stats/similar AADSAS application date submitted? I'm trying to figure out why people like you and me haven't heard anything!

EDIT: No idea why my signature isnt showing but here's my stuff:
21 AA | 19 TS | 21 PAT
GPA: 3.4 | sGPA: 3.32
AADSAS Submitted: 06/27/14 | DAT Received: 09/02/14 | Mail-out: 09/05/14 (12th batch)

My stats are:
22 AA | 23 TS | 18 PAT
GPA 3.56 | sGPA 3.5
AADSAS Submitted: 07/16, DAT Received: 07/31, Mailed out: 08/08

The only thing that I see that maybe frowned upon on my application is my 2 yrs in community college. Yet, I have only interviewed at one school (Pittsburg) and got rejected by UPenn. Still awaiting on 4 more schools.:shrug:

My stats are:
22 AA | 23 TS | 18 PAT
GPA 3.56 | sGPA 3.5

The only thing that I see that maybe frowned upon on my application is my 2 yrs in community college. Yet, I have only interviewed at one school (Pittsburg) and got rejected by UPenn. Still awaiting on 4 more schools.:shrug:
I don't think that's the problem. I was also at a CC for 2 years and had tons of interviews.

My stats are:
22 AA | 23 TS | 18 PAT
GPA 3.56 | sGPA 3.5

going to CC would not be an issue as long as your courseload was as much as a university courseload and you pulled amazing grades there. So many people do this and in no way is it a hinderance.

going to CC would not be an issue as long as your courseload was as much as a university courseload and you pulled amazing grades there. So many people do this and in no way is it a hinderance.

It's just since I went to VCU for undergrad, I once had the opportunity to be in a meeting with Dr. Healy, Associate Dean of Admissions and he said that if there were two candidates with similar GPA and DAT scores but one went to CC, it might be a decision factor. I mean, after all there are some D-schools that won't even accept CC credits. That is saying something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that's the problem. I was also at a CC for 2 years and had tons of interviews.

Possibly. I just can't seem to pinpoint anything else that might be lacking in my application :/

Unless, I wrote a terrible PS :p

It's just since I went to VCU for undergrad, I once had the opportunity to be in a meeting with Dr. Healy, Associate Dean of Admissions and he said that if there were two candidates with similar GPA and DAT scores but one went to CC, it might be a decision factor. I mean, after all there are some D-schools that won't even accept CC credits. That is saying something.
Wow nice! But how likely is it of having two completely identical applicants in gpa, dat, extracurriculars, work exp, shadowing, etc. I just don't see that an explanation. The stigma of CC being lesser is seriously overplayed lol. I went to a 4 year university right off the bat, but for the record, if I went to CC I'd be working my butt off regardless.

Wow nice! But how likely is it of having two completely identical applicants in gpa, dat, extracurriculars, work exp, shadowing, etc. I just don't see that an explanation. The stigma of CC being lesser is seriously overplayed lol. I went to a 4 year university right off the bat, but for the record, if I went to CC I'd be working my butt off regardless.
Lol I guess it was a hypothetical situation where two candidates had similar applications. I'm not defending them but some D-schools don't take it into account. For some reason, it is believed the education obtained from CC is somewhat different.

Lol I guess it was a hypothetical situation where two candidates had similar applications. I'm not defending them but some D-schools don't take it into account. For some reason, it is believed the education obtained from CC is somewhat different.

At the end of my interview day, our group was told that VCU doesn't send out enough December acceptances to fill their entire class. They said that they wanted to make sure that their post December interviewees knew they had a true shot at an acceptance as opposed to simply vying for a spot on the alternate list. Don't give up hope, and make sure they know you are interested in the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite this morning!! Don't lose hope they're still coming!

Interview invite this morning!! Don't lose hope they're still coming!

So what were the interview dates like? Were there any December dates available or do they start mid-Jan when school resumes?

Reactions: 3 users
Way too quiet...

Calm before the storm?

In the past weeks, I easily narrowed my acceptances to two schools, with VCU (my state school) being one of the two. As the eleventh hour has approached and I have had to make a decision on where I want to be for the next 4 years of dental school, I have painstakingly decided to decline my acceptance at VCU. This will open up a seat, which I hope will go to one of you lovely, deserving people. I wish all of you the best of luck.
@2THDDS, hang in there. I have delightfully read your patient (and sometimes anxious) posts here for months. You are going to do perfectly fine in life, as persistence always pays off. @synthiac, you are going to make the loveliest dentist. Your sweet personality shows through your posts. @jeeproteins, I was really looking forward to the possibility of being classmates with such a nice, smart, and together person as you. I'm certain you will succeed in anything you do. There are too many other ones of you whom I'm not naming individually, who have made me smile and feel connected over the last several months. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck, wherever you are and in whatever you do. VCU is among the best dental schools in the country. My congrats to those who are already accepted and my wishes for a positive outcome and a smooth process to those who are still waiting! :)
A most Happy New Year to each one of you!

Reactions: 8 users
In the past weeks, I easily narrowed my acceptances to two schools, with VCU (my state school) being one of the two. As the eleventh hour has approached and I have had to make a decision on where I want to be for the next 4 years of dental school, I have painstakingly decided to decline my acceptance at VCU. This will open up a seat, which I hope will go to one of you lovely, deserving people. I wish all of you the best of luck.
@2THDDS, hang in there. I have delightfully read your patient (and sometimes anxious) posts here for months. You are going to do perfectly fine in life, as persistence always pays off. @synthiac, you are going to make the loveliest dentist. Your sweet personality shows through your posts. @jeeproteins, I was really looking forward to the possibility of being classmates with such a nice, smart, and together person as you. I'm certain you will succeed in anything you do. There are too many other ones of you whom I'm not naming individually, who have made me smile and feel connected over the last several months. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck, wherever you are and in whatever you do. VCU is among the best dental schools in the country. My congrats to those who are already accepted and my wishes for a positive outcome and a smooth process to those who are still waiting! :)
A most Happy New Year to each one of you!
Awww thank you! And I wish you all the very best in dental school! I'm sure you will be an amazing dentist!

VCU tuition and non-living expenses were $47K for in-state and $72K for out-state, according to 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. Was there a recent big increase? Someone told me it was half of that only 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:
just got an interview invite for February 2nd...im likely going to decline..but if there are people still waiting to hear from this school..they're apparently still interviewing!

Congrats to everyone who's gotten into the school or is still on the waitlist..
I'm planning to write a letter of intent to VCU.. do you guys know any info on whether they'd take it?
I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask if they consider them (assuming they will).
Also, my fall semester grades aren't so great (got one C+ and 2 Bs) that I'd rather not update my grades
because I feel like VCU wouldn't like the fact that my GPA dropped by 0.06 (small but impactful)...
VCU is definitely my top choice, which I will mention, even though I've gotten into other schools so far.
Do you guys think I have a chance at it?
Fyi I'm an in-state for va and have 23/24 dat and ~3.5 gpa
thanks for any reponse!:thumbup:

Congrats to everyone who's gotten into the school or is still on the waitlist..
I'm planning to write a letter of intent to VCU.. do you guys know any info on whether they'd take it?
I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask if they consider them (assuming they will).
Also, my fall semester grades aren't so great (got one C+ and 2 Bs) that I'd rather not update my grades
because I feel like VCU wouldn't like the fact that my GPA dropped by 0.06 (small but impactful)...
VCU is definitely my top choice, which I will mention, even though I've gotten into other schools so far.
Do you guys think I have a chance at it?
Fyi I'm an in-state for va and have 23/24 dat and ~3.5 gpa
thanks for any reponse!:thumbup:

Im in the same boat, but I don't really feel like sending them a letter of intent. I'm in-state, GPA fell about .01 because of 2 B's and 2 A-s, got almost identical stats as you, submitted my academic update.

I got in to tufts but I'm still waiting to hear from VCU. Surprised I haven't heard from them at all since it's my state school. My stats are lower than their averages at 3.33 GPA, 3.21 sGPA, 19/18 DAT.

I loved tufts but the cost is steep. It would be nice to at least have VCU as an option

I wonder how many seats they have left anyway

I got in to tufts but I'm still waiting to hear from VCU. Surprised I haven't heard from them at all since it's my state school. My stats are lower than their averages at 3.33 GPA, 3.21 sGPA, 19/18 DAT.

I loved tufts but the cost is steep. It would be nice to at least have VCU as an option
They are being extremely silent. I haven't heard from them since my app complete email on Halloween (late due to them not liking my committee letter and me having to scrounge up two more LORs). I'd go to the interview, if I were to be invited, but I am pretty set on Pitt.

They are being extremely silent. I haven't heard from them since my app complete email on Halloween (late due to them not liking my committee letter and me having to scrounge up two more LORs). I'd go to the interview, if I were to be invited, but I am pretty set on Pitt.

I sent them an update/interest email in Dec but they never got back to me. I'd really like to have a shot at interviewing, anyone have any news? Are those early Feb interview spots taken and will there be more interview dates? =/

I emailed the director of admissions last week and he responded but only said they would continue interviewing until the end of february. I hope I can interview there, it would be nice to stay in the state. But I know out of the actual in-state spots it would still be extremely competitive to get accepted.

I have heard some really odd stuff about the "varieties" of people they accept though, both in recent years and within the last decade. Seems like they start off really competitive, but if you stick it out on the wait list they let in a few at the end due to people switching around.

I LOVED Tufts when I went up there, but I was in a total state of euphoria and didn't pay much attention to the costs.... I just don't know if it would be worth going to unless i did the military route

I sent them an update/interest email in Dec but they never got back to me. I'd really like to have a shot at interviewing, anyone have any news? Are those early Feb interview spots taken and will there be more interview dates? =/
No idea if there are any left. Fill me in if you get any other info, I am in the same boat as you. They haven't talked to me at all! Are you in state also?

No idea if there are any left. Fill me in if you get any other info, I am in the same boat as you. They haven't talked to me at all! Are you in state also?

I'm OOS, but I'm planning on calling Monday morning to try my luck. I'll let you know...

I'm OOS, but I'm planning on calling Monday morning to try my luck. I'll let you know...
Thanks I appreciate it. Every time I try to reach out to them I get really generic and broad answers so I wouldn't expect much.

Why are you so interested in VCU? What state are you from?

I'm from MD, so VCU is relatively close. I called today but no news, unfortunately

I'm from MD, so VCU is relatively close. I called today but no news, unfortunately
I also called today. They were quite dismissive. Did find out they interview through February though.

All but gave up on hearing from VCU but woke up to an interview invite this morning

All but gave up on hearing from VCU but woke up to an interview invite this morning

So lucky! What are your stats if you don't mind sharing? I am having pretty bad anxiety as I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview.

About 90% sure I'll be declining my acceptance from this morning (interviewed 1/20). Hope the spot goes to one of you guys!

Just got an email of acceptance! However will not be attending because I already have my heart set on my state school. I hope this gives one of you guys another chance :)

I just got an email acceptance! (It was sent after 10 pm.) Interviewed two weeks ago. Guess they move pretty quickly at this stage. So excited! I have one more interview next week, but will almost definitely be going to VCU. It was already my first choice no matter the price, but it's also so much cheaper (I'm in state.) HOORAY!

I got an acceptance late last night as well. I'm OOS and interviewed pre december.

Interview Invite! All hope is not lost :D

Super excited :D