The Once Great Anesthesia Forum Is Dying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time for me to take a back seat on this forum for a while. Nothing permanent.

Kinda reflected on UT's post on the Jet's One Week Ban thread and unfortunately I'm in agreement.

When we all started posting on this forum (Mil, me, UT, Noy et al) the focus was different, and the feeling was different. Clinical/business/technical threads abounded....I love to teach and write, so it was a perfect fit for me...pre meds, med students, residents, CRNAs, SRNAs, AAs, guys in practice, etc interacted ALOT, exchanging relevant information about the practice of anesthesia...comraderie was built by this interaction along with many threads that made me laugh, personal life/hobby threads, Mil's motorcycle, Noys snowboarding antics, music, alcohol, etc.

It was fun to sit down at the computer and talk with my motivated colleagues.

I'm not having fun anymore.

Somehow the focus of this forum has changed into more of a political soapbox. I'm not a politically motivated dude. I know the CRNA/MD thing is important to many of you, but that issue in itself has worn me out. Posters on both sides have negatively influenced the once-information-ridden forum of ours.

For the record, EVERY institution I've worked at, even during my residency days, I enjoyed a cordial relationship with CRNAs. I think there are political beefs between the ASA and the AANA that need to be continually addressed. But what my young colleagues don't realize here is that in the "real world", where we are out here making a living, its different. Teamwork. Social interaction. The same feelings were present when I emerged from residency in 1996. I've yet to feel threatened.

I'll leave it at that.

My account has been put on hold twice. The first was after a heated interaction with a troll. The second (recent) one was for (I think) light-heartedly posting a few lines out of a Dr Dre song.

Yep, I've got a little Eddy Murphy in my writing style. Mil called it "colorful"...I like that. Colorful.

I'm not in the mood to change my writing style....actually I never received any hatemail in my PM box from readers, nor did I feel I was offending anyone.

So for now I'll save the SDN hierarchy (Kimberli Cox, Dr Mom) some trouble and sit in the back row for a while.

I hope the forum in the future makes a turn to what it once was....an entertaining exchange of information relevant to the practice of anesthesia, along with all the threads/posts that made me laugh.

I'll pop in from time to time...and to Chi, Norm, and Mike, you guys are the pillars of what an anesthesiologist is. Look up anesthesia in Websters Dictionary and you'll see the three of them pictured there.
I've got your numbers/emails and I'll keep in touch with you.

Carry on.

Members don't see this ad.

:confused:

i don't get it.

i just don't see how this forum has changed very much at all. it is certainly still great, and it is far from dying. i'm not terribly worried, defeated, disenchanted, disturbed, angered, upset, worried (etc.) about a misperception that any trolls have taken over.

a forum is about a free exchange of ideas. it is the 21st century version of graffiti. it is the new soapbox in the town square. sometimes it is just the writing on bathroom walls. i labor under no pretenses that anything i do and say here is going to change the world. it is a place to vent and share my thoughts. if some people like what i say, cool. if not, i'm not worried about it. ultimately, i understand that the only thing i can control in here is my own actions. and, i'm okay with that. if i can positively (or negatively) impact someone else by what i say - or cause them to reflect - then that is their choice, their reaction, their ability (or inability) to divorce themselves from the thoughts, ideas, impressions, shared rantings (etc.) of a complete stranger. nothing more.

i personally know kim cox. she is a decent person. she recently finished her surgical training at the same institution at which i'm currently completing mine. in here, she has taken on the responsibility - without pay or often any gratitude - of attempting to moderate something that i personally do not own but in which enjoy the privilege of participating (for free, i might add). she may not always know the subtle nuances of an individual posters style. she is not tasked with "understanding" any one of us in here. she has to sometimes swoop in and make a judgment on what she sees - in black and white - without often having the luxury of time or convenience to know the full background of what's happened. she has to recognize that what is written here is potentially viewed by an equally larger anonymous lurking viewing audience, many of them minors, and decide what is decent by the forums rules. this is a task - a responsibility - i personally do not envy or want. but, this underscores the fact that this forum is none of ours to romp in without some limits. this is not our personal playground.

==============================================

i wish you well, jetproppilot. i know you feel that you've contributed a lot to this forum. and, you have. personally, i like the free-flow of ideas. i enjoy the debates. i like the "trolling", for lack of a better word, and i've tried throughout the years of participating on multiple different internet fora to discern what is and is not worthy of comment - what is worthy of my time. i, like you seem to be, at one point used to be deeply invested in what i contributed. that what i said was paramount, that it mattered most. i learned somewhere along the way that i can only hope that occassionally i reach somoene with what i say, but that i will not reach everyone. not everyone cares what i think. most importantly, i one day realized that i'm posting mostly for me - not for anyone else. i also figured out that there are certain standards and lines that can't be crossed, no matter how passionate i feel about a particular topic. i hope you learn this too.

good luck wherever you go and whatever you decide to do. no one will fault you if you change your mind and decide you still want to post here. no one ultimately cares that much about what you decide to do. this forum will go on with or without you. some will miss you, others won't. that much is incontrovertibly true.

now, it's a beautiful sunday. go enjoy it with your family, if you're not stuck in some OR suite somewhere. :)

jetproppilot said:
Somehow the focus of this forum has changed into more of a political soapbox..................... .

The other main anesthesia forum where I reside is GASnet, run by Dr. Keith Ruskin at Yale. I've been on it for about six years

http://gasnet.med.yale.edu/anesthesiology/

It's a world-wide forum and has a very interesting international perspective on the anesthesia scene. GASnet experiences the same peaks-and-valleys of clinical to political to staleness, back and forth like a pendulum.

I'm optimistic and hopeful that SDN will be a useful conduit of information and education to all interested parties, probably along the same ebb-and-flow nature of GASnet.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
>>>When we all started posting on this forum (Mil, me, UT, Noy et al) the focus was different, and the feeling was different. Clinical/business/technical threads abounded....I love to teach and write, so it was a perfect fit for me...pre meds, med students, residents, CRNAs, SRNAs, AAs, guys in practice, etc interacted ALOT, exchanging relevant information about the practice of anesthesia...comraderie was built by this interaction along with many threads that made me laugh, personal life/hobby threads, Mil's motorcycle, Noys snowboarding antics, music, alcohol, etc.
>>>>
I'm not having fun anymore.

Somehow the focus of this forum has changed into more of a political soapbox. I'm not a politically motivated dude. I know the CRNA/MD thing is important to many of you, but that issue in itself has worn me out. Posters on both sides have negatively influenced the once-information-ridden forum of ours.
>>>
I hope the forum in the future makes a turn to what it once was....an entertaining exchange of information relevant to the practice of anesthesia, along with all the threads/posts that made me laugh.

I'll pop in from time to time...and to Chi, Norm, and Mike, you guys are the pillars of what an anesthesiologist is. Look up anesthesia in Websters Dictionary and you'll see the three of them pictured there.
I've got your numbers/emails and I'll keep in touch with you.

Carry on.

Jet, I'm glad you're back! However, since we are supposed to practive evidence based stuff, I'd like to refute your assertions that the whole forum has changed from what you describe it as previously being. And, I have evidence.

In a little over 12 hours since I was last looking at SDN, there have been 23 threads that have had posts added to them. Of the 23, 2 posts regarded business, 9 technical (including one titled "manhood"), 5 educational, 7 political-with 6 of the 7 being about you being banned. The 7th post regarded an AANC sign. While there has been a paucity of threads regarding life/hobbies, Military's motorcycle, and Noyac's EtOH, I think this has been a turblent time discouraging frivolity.

I can see where you haven't had much fun in awhile, but please reconsider sitting in the back of the class!

Annette said:
Jet, I'm glad you're back! However, since we are supposed to practive evidence based stuff, I'd like to refute your assertions that the whole forum has changed from what you describe it as previously being. And, I have evidence.

In a little over 12 hours since I was last looking at SDN, there have been 23 threads that have had posts added to them. Of the 23, 2 posts regarded business, 9 technical (including one titled "manhood"), 5 educational, 7 political-with 6 of the 7 being about you being banned. The 7th post regarded an AANC sign. While there has been a paucity of threads regarding life/hobbies, Military's motorcycle, and Noyac's EtOH, I think this has been a turblent time discouraging frivolity.

I can see where you haven't had much fun in awhile, but please reconsider sitting in the back of the class!

OK...here's a little something about my bike.

I was going to go to the Dragon yesterday (wife and kids out of town)....I was planning a 600+ mile day.....but Mother Nature said no...rained all day in the SE yesterday....

Today, I went out with my sportsbike buddies and rode the local twisties and sweepers. There were 10 of us.

Once we hit the high speed sweepers, it was 2 Gixxer 1000's (husband and wife duo) and me on my K1200S leading the pack.....It was pretty exciting...Seeing how I was FOLLOWING a chick, I wasn't about to let her pull away from me.....

TOP SPEED today between the 3 of us....somewhere between 150 and 160 mph....None of us were sure how fast we were going because we were too busy keeping our eyes on the road...no time to read the speedo......

One deer got pretty scared by us as we zoomed by....the vacuum behind us was trying to suck it back onto the road!...

I tried riding today without hanging off...my knee pucks are kind of worn out....and damned if I didn't scrap up my left foot peg....very annoying and dangerous...I'm going to have to buy new pucks and start hanging off again.

trinityalumnus said:
The other main anesthesia forum where I reside is GASnet, run by Dr. Keith Ruskin at Yale. I've been on it for about six years

http://gasnet.med.yale.edu/anesthesiology/

It's a world-wide forum and has a very interesting international perspective on the anesthesia scene. GASnet experiences the same peaks-and-valleys of clinical to political to staleness, back and forth like a pendulum.

I'm optimistic and hopeful that SDN will be a useful conduit of information and education to all interested parties, probably along the same ebb-and-flow nature of GASnet.

I've been on that forum before, but the format is difficult to follow, so I gave it up.

militarymd said:
OK...here's a little something about my bike.

I was going to go to the Dragon yesterday (wife and kids out of town)....I was planning a 600+ mile day.....but Mother Nature said no...rained all day in the SE yesterday....

Today, I went out with my sportsbike buddies and rode the local twisties and sweepers. There were 10 of us.

Once we hit the high speed sweepers, it was 2 Gixxer 1000's (husband and wife duo) and me on my K1200S leading the pack.....It was pretty exciting...Seeing how I was FOLLOWING a chick, I wasn't about to let her pull away from me.....

TOP SPEED today between the 3 of us....somewhere between 150 and 160 mph....None of us were sure how fast we were going because we were too busy keeping our eyes on the road...no time to read the speedo......

One deer got pretty scared by us as we zoomed by....the vacuum behind us was trying to suck it back onto the road!...

I tried riding today without hanging off...my knee pucks are kind of worn out....and damned if I didn't scrap up my left foot peg....very annoying and dangerous...I'm going to have to buy new pucks and start hanging off again.

Dude, I don't want to read about you in the obituary section of the newspaper.

militarymd said:
I've been on that forum before, but the format is difficult to follow, so I gave it up.

You can tweak your subscription to receive a load of postings in a digest fashion, rather than one by one via email, or by reading them on the GASnet website. The digest usually arrives in my inbox every other day, containing 10-15 posts w/ replies, in one long email.

http://gasnet.med.yale.edu/anesthesiology/index.php

Navigate with the left side buttons.

The reason I keep coming back to this forum, even though I don't post all too often, is because of one thread. I can't find it anywhere, but basically the OP deleted their question and said to ignore it. However, Mil and everyone else didn't let it die and started a completely new discussion about something. That was rad.

Annette said:
I liked your older avitar- the one with you standing by your bike by a garage. Nothing like a man in leather!

Actually that was ballistic Nylon....Now, the current avatar is sporting total body kevlar lined leather:)

militarymd said:
Actually that was ballistic Nylon....Now, the current avatar is sporting total body kevlar lined leather:)

Mil,

Keep the shiney side up! :thumbup:

VolatileAgent said:
:confused:

i don't get it.

i just don't see how this forum has changed very much at all. it is certainly still great, and it is far from dying. i'm not terribly worried, defeated, disenchanted, disturbed, angered, upset, worried (etc.) about a misperception that any trolls have taken over.

a forum is about a free exchange of ideas. it is the 21st century version of graffiti. it is the new soapbox in the town square. sometimes it is just the writing on bathroom walls. i labor under no pretenses that anything i do and say here is going to change the world. it is a place to vent and share my thoughts. if some people like what i say, cool. if not, i'm not worried about it. ultimately, i understand that the only thing i can control in here is my own actions. and, i'm okay with that. if i can positively (or negatively) impact someone else by what i say - or cause them to reflect - then that is their choice, their reaction, their ability (or inability) to divorce themselves from the thoughts, ideas, impressions, shared rantings (etc.) of a complete stranger. nothing more.

i personally know kim cox. she is a decent person. she recently finished her surgical training at the same institution at which i'm currently completing mine. in here, she has taken on the responsibility - without pay or often any gratitude - of attempting to moderate something that i personally do not own but in which enjoy the privilege of participating (for free, i might add). she may not always know the subtle nuances of an individual posters style. she is not tasked with "understanding" any one of us in here. she has to sometimes swoop in and make a judgment on what she sees - in black and white - without often having the luxury of time or convenience to know the full background of what's happened. she has to recognize that what is written here is potentially viewed by an equally larger anonymous lurking viewing audience, many of them minors, and decide what is decent by the forums rules. this is a task - a responsibility - i personally do not envy or want. but, this underscores the fact that this forum is none of ours to romp in without some limits. this is not our personal playground.

==============================================

i wish you well, jetproppilot. i know you feel that you've contributed a lot to this forum. and, you have. personally, i like the free-flow of ideas. i enjoy the debates. i like the "trolling", for lack of a better word, and i've tried throughout the years of participating on multiple different internet fora to discern what is and is not worthy of comment - what is worthy of my time. i, like you seem to be, at one point used to be deeply invested in what i contributed. that what i said was paramount, that it mattered most. i learned somewhere along the way that i can only hope that occassionally i reach somoene with what i say, but that i will not reach everyone. not everyone cares what i think. most importantly, i one day realized that i'm posting mostly for me - not for anyone else. i also figured out that there are certain standards and lines that can't be crossed, no matter how passionate i feel about a particular topic. i hope you learn this too.

good luck wherever you go and whatever you decide to do. no one will fault you if you change your mind and decide you still want to post here. no one ultimately cares that much about what you decide to do. this forum will go on with or without you. some will miss you, others won't. that much is incontrovertibly true.

now, it's a beautiful sunday. go enjoy it with your family, if you're not stuck in some OR suite somewhere. :)

thats some deep , literary **** man.

p.s.

and, last time i checked, this forum was still alive and well.