The opposite route.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retired DDS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retired from Dentistry in 1996 with a Florida license which has been Null & Void for decades. Two years ago I was considering re-entering the profession but did not pursue it. Projecting 2-3 years out (or even now) I have little desire to remain in the US whether I pursue Dentistry or not.

What paths are available to regain clinical competence (like foreigners who come here and have to do a 2 year program, or did back when I was in school) and licensing outside the US? Top choices are anywhere in Central America, preferably Costa Rica or Panama. Mexico a consideration. Outside of Central America, would consider anywhere in the world provided it is warm year round, relatively stable, and there is demand either from tourism, locals or under-served areas.

Money is not an issue. Perhaps language is, but is an easier barrier to overcome than the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the licensing board where you wish to practice. That would be the most accurate information you can obtain versus here.

If I got you right, you just want to gain your competence.
Here is what I would do, I would look for some dental courses that prepare the fresh graduates for board exams and us as international dentists for the bench exams, there are many of such courses if you asked me for my opinion I would choose Dr. Richard Stevenson/California. They are pricey for the amount of the time you are getting taught but believe me it is definitely worth every penny. I would study on my own for the theoretical part of dentistry, I would not study whole textbooks but for instance, I would study from Mosby for the clinical dentistry. Overall this route will not take a long time and will not cost as much as what the 2 years of school would cost. Also, you can get a home setup as the one I have and prep teeth at home just to kind of refresh your hand skills.

Good luck...