The pre-grad school travel bug!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeggieDelight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plans for the obligatory trip before graduate/professional school are already under way for many of us. Here's to those of us who began the interview process financially strapped and ended it nearly destitute, but don't care! What exciting things do people have planned before we lose our sanity to doctoral study? Is anyone doing anything related to psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

Paris :)

Last edited:
I actually did mine in between finishing applications and interviewing- I went to Costa Rica for three weeks! Absolutely gorgeous- and cheaper than you'd think.

I am, however, going to WPA in April, which is in Cancun this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plans for the obligatory trip before graduate/professional school are already under way for many of us. Here's to those of us who began the interview process financially strapped and ended it nearly destitute, but don't care! What exciting things do people have planned before we lose our sanity to doctoral study? Is anyone doing anything related to psychology?

I posted this in the other thread, but here is what I am doing.

This summer I am going from DC to Cincinnati, picking up a friend then we are doing a massive road trip: Cincinnati to Colorado (Denverish area) via St Louis and Kansas City, then Colorado to Las Vegas, Vegas to LA, LA to San Fran, San Fran to Portland, Portland to Seattle, seattle to Vancouver BC Canada, then Vancouver to Anchorage AK to sell the car.

Also I have two friends from Ecuador, and they are telling me they are going to buy me a ticket to come there so I would be COMPLETELY open to that :). The nice thing is, even if I cannot go this summer it will definitely happen at some point, maybe during Holiday.

I hope plenty of you all get to do something too! Release some of this stress we all have!

I went to Spain every year of UG. This will be my last trip for a long time : (

I went to Spain every year of UG. This will be my last trip for a long time : (

I'm going to Spain this summer as a graduation present to myself! Where in Spain do you usually go?

I'm going to travel around Asia for a few weeks with the ladyfriend. Yummy food, cheap shopping, and beautiful scenery. I can't wait!

I'M THERE!!!

Haha. But really, is shopping really cheap in Asia?

Depends on where. Thailand and Malaysia, perhaps. Hong Kong and Singapore, not so much.

I have a couple itineraries for Asia and am deciding on which is the most economical, but I am definitely going to India.

Heh. I have no desire to travel before grad school--I went on five weeks straight of interviews and am totally burnt out on traveling. I even arranged for one of my co-authors to present my first author poster at the WPA in Cancun, so I don't have to go.

However, I am going up to Oregon to visit UO over my spring break--it also allows me to visit one of my best friends (who lives in Portland), so I'm really excited about that. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am using the summer to spend time with friends and family I won't get to see too often for 6+ years, and probably thereafter. Although, I am trying to go to Florida for a few days, and some one-day beach, amusement park, and water park trips. :)

go to barcelona. its amazing. :love:

Barcelona is amazing! I was fortunate enough to go back in 2006. This time I'm going to Seville and Granada, which has been a dream of mine for years. Actually, so has earning my degree (getting your BA/BS is a big achievement for anyone, but I've had some sizable obstacles to overcome in addition to the usual challenges), so it's pretty cool that I get to achieve both dreams in the same month

:biglove:

I will be traveling to Asia for a couple of weeks. After that I'll be unemployed :( I have NO idea what I'll be doing with free time on my hands. The concept is practically unknown to me.

I wish I could take the summer off and spend a month or more doing some real travelling! However, my inner workaholic/realist will not allow me to pass up the full-time, good-paying job I've been offered for the summer, when I know I'll be living on a limited budget for the next 6-7 years :oops:

BUT, on the bright side, I'm heading down to Florida for a week with the fam shortly after my exams are over for some R&R before I really have to start worrying about moving across the country :cool:

My mom, brother, and I are planning a European trip for June/July. Paris, Munich, and somewhere in Italy (Rome, maybe?). We've been thinking about it for a year or two, but the time is definitely now. This all comes at the perfect time because:
1. I am moving and starting grad school in August
2. We are still trying to de-stress and relax after the unexpected death of my stepdad and the rather drawn-out death of my grandmother, both this winter.
3. My brother will be going to college next summer.
4. I am getting married next summer.

Yup, I'd say we as a family could use a fun distraction. :)

I'm so excited to take a summer off after not having a summer break for the last few years!! I'm going to visit family in Europe and spend some time on Cape Cod. I am also planning on going to Costa Rica to do some volunteer work and maybe take surfing lessons. Has anyone been there? It's been tough to settle on a travel destination, since I'll be a solo female traveler.

I studied abroad in Madrid and loved it! One of the best party cities I've been to, hands down. Barcelona was also great (although i was only there for a few days) as was Basque country in the north (esp San Sebastian). I remember Let's Go Spain being my bible while I was there.

My mom, brother, and I are planning a European trip for June/July. Paris, Munich, and somewhere in Italy (Rome, maybe?). We've been thinking about it for a year or two, but the time is definitely now. This all comes at the perfect time because:
1. I am moving and starting grad school in August
2. We are still trying to de-stress and relax after the unexpected death of my stepdad and the rather drawn-out death of my grandmother, both this winter.
3. My brother will be going to college next summer.
4. I am getting married next summer.

Yup, I'd say we as a family could use a fun distraction. :)

A much needed/well-deserved trip indeed. Have fun and congrats on #'s 1 and 4!! :D

I can't wait for the summer! I'm going away for 2-3 weeks to Europe- London, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris, and a quick stopover in Switzerland (where I definitely plan to buy chocolate).

Any suggestions on where to visit while I'm in these places? :)

Finally getting to go on a trip I started to plan while my beau was serving in Iraq last yaer. We didn't go since I had just started working and had next to zero substantial savings or vacation banked... Off to Puerto Vallarta to an all-inclusive resort for 6 nights in June to celebrate our bdays and anniversary which is soon after.

Hopefully headed to Australia/NZ or the Galapagos with the family when that 5-6 week break hits after fall quarter at my program. Yay for having families who loove to travel and can take poor grad students along!!

I can't wait for the summer! I'm going away for 2-3 weeks to Europe- London, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris, and a quick stopover in Switzerland (where I definitely plan to buy chocolate).

Any suggestions on where to visit while I'm in these places? :)

Ooh that post made me nostalgic about my Europe trip. I only had a day and a half in Paris, so I hope you're staying longer than that. In Amsterdam, it's extremely easy to get lost. Make sure it doesn't happen in the Red Light District (that was kinda creepy being lost there haha)- besides that, the Anne Frank museum is definitely worth standing in line for. :)