Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For every med student who has been hit squarely on the forehead with the reality of the daily grind... this thread is for you!! :clap:
:welcome:

Who's studying at the moment? I'm working on antimicrobial drugs today. Let's keep each other company and do exactly what we need to do (what we don't want to do!) :bang: :confused: :bookworm:

Last edited:

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Third year here.

After spending all morning and early afternoon with Anesthesia i am lucky to have a full afternoon off today. I have a ton of reading to catch up on and I miss studying during 1st and 2nd year when all i had to worry about was lectures.

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I belong in this thread. I have always had a strong disdain for genetics. Guess what my first medical school test will largely focus on.......

At least it will be out of the way early!

Reactions: Entadus

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
961 Anki cards so far today. Why, God?

Didierdrogba

Goldmember
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2011
Status
Medical Student
4th year student here.
Due to my school's stupid policy, I have the honor of taking 4th year shelf exams..... so right now I'm forced to study for cardiology. This is total BS!

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MS2... I am studying pharm... Hoping to do 100 questions today... Halfway done. Will review pharm on FA from 12:00-2:00 am. Been very lazy today.;)

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Y'all are inspiring. Hooray for Friday! Who wouldn't want to spend their whole weekend studying bacteria? :lame:

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
M2... So glad I'm done with all things anatomy lab. I was doing pharm. started ANS pharmacy and trying to wrap my head around it.

Reactions: jqueb29 and O Grady
OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
M2... So glad I'm done with all things anatomy lab. I was doing pharm. started ANS pharmacy and trying to wrap my head around it.
#phenylephrine

Reactions: wjs010

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
4th year student here.
Due to my school's stupid policy, I have the honor of taking 4th year shelf exams..... so right now I'm forced to study for cardiology. This is total BS!
My condolences
Fourth year studying should be about 2 weeks for step 2 ck, 2 days for cs

blub1212

7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
4th year student here.
Whoa, that is awful..... Stage a walkout for the first shelf exam. Show the administration who is really in charge!

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DNA viruses :yeahright::punch: why must you exist :rage:

IT'S BEEN MANY HOURS SINCE I STARTED STUDYING FOR THE NEURO FINAL AND I THINK I'VE FINALLY HIT THE POINT OF DELIRIUM. I JUST...I JUST...AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Are you taking the NBME shelf? Or a school exam? Good luck! :luck:

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
M1, week 2.

Feeling overwhelmed and behind the biology majors. :(
Hang in there! I was a chem major and I never took anatomy/physio/cell bio in undergrad. It's a pain in the ass playing catch up, but all those bio majors will only have a head start for a few weeks (their whole major only prepares them for the beginning). Soon you'll all be on a level playing field!

Jan 31, 2012
Hang in there! I was a chem major and I never took anatomy/physio/cell bio in undergrad. It's a pain in the ass playing catch up, but all those bio majors will only have a head start for a few weeks (their whole major only prepares them for the beginning). Soon you'll all be on a level playing field!
Can confirm. My experience with dissecting a cat in anatomy lab helped me a total of twice.

Reactions: AspiringERMD

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently drowning in hematology. It normally wouldn't be so bad, but I had a test in another class 2 days ago so I'm scrambling to hurry and learn all this ****

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Plus side to things is I'm already doing leaps and bounds better in M2 than I did in M1. Hopefully this means I might just do okay on Step 1....

Reactions: W19 and Entadus
OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently drowning in hematology. It normally wouldn't be so bad, but I had a test in another class 2 days ago so I'm scrambling to hurry and learn all this ****
I don't have Heme until September... but that's coming up soon! I haven't watched Pathoma for heme yet but it seemed like there were a lot of videos for anemias, blood disorders, cancer, etc. So maybe that would be a good place to start? I was hoping to get a broad-strokes overview that way before I plunge in to the more detailed lectures.

jqueb29

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I don't have Heme until September... but that's coming up soon! I haven't watched Pathoma for heme yet but it seemed like there were a lot of videos for anemias, blood disorders, cancer, etc. So maybe that would be a good place to start? I was hoping to get a broad-strokes overview that way before I plunge in to the more detailed lectures.
Pathoma was a huge help in my Heme course. And my GI course. And...well pretty much all of my systems courses so far.

RedPhys

Moraxella mozzarella
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
MS1 .. pharmacology and back/spinal cord anatomy ! (Quiz on the following Monday)
Moving quickly, but pharmacology has taught me a lot about how drugs work. Also, finally learning the fancy medical names for many drugs, such as saying acetaminophen instead of tylenol :)

I hate anatomy lab, though :(

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
yupppp. just took two practicals today for anatomy and histology and have the written exams for both courses tomorrow. needless to say today sucks lol

I don't even know what the highest yield thing would be to do today...... any tips?

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yupppp. just took two practicals today for anatomy and histology and have the written exams for both courses tomorrow. needless to say today sucks lol

I don't even know what the highest yield thing would be to do today...... any tips?
Highest yield thing would be to get a good nights sleep...

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Do the written questions on the Michigan anatomy website! Read all the explanations

Good luck :dead:

Ace Khalifa

I am the definition of awesomeness
Removed
Jun 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student

That sucks that your exams are split that way. I took anatomy written and practical on Monday. Histo written and practical isn't until this Monday. But yeah, try to get enough sleep the night before. And do a lot of practice questions.

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
That sucks that your exams are split that way. I took anatomy written and practical on Monday. Histo written and practical isn't until this Monday. But yeah, try to get enough sleep the night before. And do a lot of practice questions.
yeah it kind of sucks. you spend a bunch of time prepping for practicals and miss out on time to review for written stuff the next day. have to just keep going

Jan 31, 2012

WRITTEN EXAMS?? :vomit:

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a pharm exam coming up on Wednesday and I have not been able to study for the past couple of days... Don't know what going on with me!

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a pharm exam coming up on Wednesday and I have not been able to study for the past couple of days... Don't know what going on with me!
The same thing that's happening to all M2's right now. This %#$&ing blows. Take a break to refresh yourself (hygiene, exercise, good food, relax, etc) and then try to study for another hour or two! Stay with it!! :)

P.S. It's Friday again!.... did I mention this blows:sick:

Reactions: W19

Ace Khalifa

I am the definition of awesomeness
Removed
Jun 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Histo is really boring to study. Anatomy was really time-consuming and more difficult to study. Looks I can't win lololol.

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anybody have any tips for studying immuno? We did a brief pass of it this week and will revisit in more depth second year. Since it was so bare bones it's been hard to fill in the gaps.

Feb 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Well... I passed the first exam. By one question. I worked so hard... >.<
Maybe you can talk with someone about getting a tutor? Passing by one question sounds pretty narrow, and I can imagine that you're frustrated by it since you put a lot of work into studying.

Reactions: AspiringERMD
OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anybody have any tips for studying immuno? We did a brief pass of it this week and will revisit in more depth second year. Since it was so bare bones it's been hard to fill in the gaps.
Lippincott's (Illustrated Review Series) Immunology wasn't too bad for filling in the details. If you need more background/big picture understanding, I always recommend How the Immune System Works by Lauren Sompayrac (a very quick little read).

Reactions: FindMeOnTheLinks

AspiringERMD

5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Virgo Supercluster
Status
Medical Student
Maybe you can talk with someone about getting a tutor? Passing by one question sounds pretty narrow, and I can imagine that you're frustrated by it since you put a lot of work into studying.
Passed by a much better margin for exam 2! :soexcited: Feeling much better about that class.

Now to learn all the anatomy I've been neglecting for next week's exam... :-/

OP
Entadus

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone have any good resources to recommend for the coagulation cascade? I've been watching Dr. Sattar (Pathoma) for some of the big ideas, but he skirts around the details and only talks about various defects. But what should I use to actually study the normal physiology of clotting? Was thinking of brute force memorizing the wikipedia page:inpain: I might also read the Robbins chapter... but not right now.... thankfully I left it in my locker at school;)