The Role Of Religion In Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should Religion Be Integrated Into Medicine?

• Total voters
Get off your high horse, G3. Not everyone practices holistic medicine in the spiritual sense, and I've got a good feeling that some of the doctors I have met personally think less of "spiritually infused medicine" than last nights lasagna. That being said, I have no problem praying with a patient, but don't expect me to walk from, room to room asking for patients to pray.

Members don't see this ad.

Get off your high horse, G3. Not everyone practices holistic medicine in the spiritual sense, and I've got a good feeling that some of the doctors I have met personally think less of "spiritually infused medicine" than last nights lasagna. That being said, I have no problem praying with a patient, but don't expect me to walk from, room to room asking for patients to pray.
doc: "pssst beteer start praying..."
patient: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading comprehension > you

He's talking about asking God himself to change his own plan. The doctors are very well part of God's plan to cure the diseases for the people that were ment to be cured. And that's as far as it goes.

God's plan was to give someone a disease. God's plan was also for the doctor to attempt to cure this person of the disease. This doctor may or may not be able to cure the person, only God knows that.

In the end, God's plan was not for his plan to be rearranged by you asking (read: praying) it to be. Huge difference. The doctor may be trying to cure the disease so it looks like he is changing God's plan but he really isn't. God made the doctor do it. Anything that happens here on earth is part of God's plan. Period. He is saying that praying is meaningless because you aren't doing anything but asking god to change his plan, and thats not going to happen.

This is such a typical "lets use religion and 'The Plan' as an excuse" argument. This type of argument essentially removes all choice and responsibility from anything we do.

Why should I care about anything I do if it's all part of God's plan anyway? I mean, it's not my fault if I go out and rape someone, kill someone, steal from someone because it was God's plan, not mine. Heck, I was screwed form the start. Why should I be responsible for anything? And isn't it a little messed up of God to punish the evil people of this world if He essentially gave them no choice whatsoever?

Whatev, it's in His plan: The perfect excuse.

This is such a typical "lets use religion and 'The Plan' as an excuse" argument. This type of argument essentially removes all choice and responsibility from anything we do.

Why should I care about anything I do if it's all part of God's plan anyway? I mean, it's not my fault if I go out and rape someone, kill someone, steal from someone because it was God's plan, not mine. Heck, I was screwed form the start. Why should I be responsible for anything? And isn't it a little messed up of God to punish the evil people of this world if He essentially gave them no choice whatsoever?

Whatev, it's in His plan: The perfect excuse.

Dr. House:
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono] You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways..[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono].