The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my scores a few days ago, I think i did well since I'm only a sophomore but you be the judge

Verbal 79%
Biology 97%
Reading Comp 92%
Quantitative 96%
Chemistry 89%

I dont understand how Harcourt computes the composite score because this person had only one score below a 90 percentile...and they still didnt get a 90 percentile... how come ....?

hi
I was wondering how much pharmacy schools cared about where pre reqs were takin at, or do they just look at gpa and move on?

Also, what would comprise a good application?
(recommendations from who, how much time spent in a pharmacy setting)

How many schools should an applicant apply to?

What do you think were some of the stronger points that got you into pharmacy school?

Also what the lowest score people have gotten into school with that you've heard of?

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer some questions:
Most pharmacy schools elect to give first pick to the students who took their pre-reqs at their school, but at the same time retain adequate spots for those who did not,

A good application varies from person to person, but it must be unique. Think of something that makes you stand out. Don't be afraid to boast on what you do well, but also admit your weaknesses. By exposing both you dont come across as a "to good to be true" person. Include work experiences, community service, leadership roles, etc.
I'd recommend getting recommendations from various settings such as a neighbor, a pharmacist you worked with, and a teacher. It provides a more rounded aspect.

Apply to as many schools that you feel adequate.

I haven't applied for school yet, but I'd say some of my more unique qualities will help me stand out.

At my school, Southwestern Oklahoma State Univ, the lowest Pcat score and gpa combo required for a chance at an interview is a 70/3.0 which i assume some people get in on.

My Scores

Verbal 82
Bio 94
Reading Comp 92
Quant 96
Chem 97

Composite 97

Pretty happy with the scores since I didn't study for the test. I only did a few practice exams two nights before. It pays off to actually learn the material in your classes rather than just memorizing.

@ work right now so I don't know the exact % on my PCAT, but I know I got a 82% Composite on my June PCAT; I got a 61% on my Chem (>_>) and a 70something in Reading Comp, everything else was 85% or above and I got a 2.0/3.0. Considering that I decided to stop my PhD in Biochemistry earlier this year after 2 years and deciding to go Pharmacy and not really studying for this PCAT AND not realizing they changed the format...I consider that I did okay...

Here is my question: I live in Oklahoma and I probably won't go to an out of state pharmacy school. So that leaves me with two options - SWOSU or OU. SWOSU allows you to apply all year long and OU only allows you to apply for the fall semester. Should I just apply to SWOSU for the Spring of 2008 or wait and apply to OU and SWOSU for the fall of 2008??

And uh yeah...should I even bother retaking the PCAT again?

Another issue that I currently have right now is that I have been trying..and trying...and TRYING to find a job at the pharmacies around town (Stillwater) and I have been trying for almost six months and I have had no luck finding a tech job...not even volunteering; is that normal or do I just have horrible luck??

Not sure about stillwater but Edmond walgreens are hiring like made at 12.50 an hour. I work at CVS in edmond and do pretty well. I take it you did your pre-reqs at stillwater? You'll be hard pressed making it into SWOSU because the school only reserves 10 slots for non-SWOSU students, 5 instate 5 out of state is the usual division. But honestly, I'd say apply at both as much as possible.

@ work right now so I don't know the exact % on my PCAT, but I know I got a 82% Composite on my June PCAT; I got a 61% on my Chem (>_>) and a 70something in Reading Comp, everything else was 85% or above and I got a 2.0/3.0. Considering that I decided to stop my PhD in Biochemistry earlier this year after 2 years and deciding to go Pharmacy and not really studying for this PCAT AND not realizing they changed the format...I consider that I did okay...

Here is my question: I live in Oklahoma and I probably won't go to an out of state pharmacy school. So that leaves me with two options - SWOSU or OU. SWOSU allows you to apply all year long and OU only allows you to apply for the fall semester. Should I just apply to SWOSU for the Spring of 2008 or wait and apply to OU and SWOSU for the fall of 2008??

And uh yeah...should I even bother retaking the PCAT again?

Another issue that I currently have right now is that I have been trying..and trying...and TRYING to find a job at the pharmacies around town (Stillwater) and I have been trying for almost six months and I have had no luck finding a tech job...not even volunteering; is that normal or do I just have horrible luck??

I don't know what you should do, but I do know that unless you just royally piss on your interview at OU, and you're GPA is decent, you'll get in.

Not sure about stillwater but Edmond walgreens are hiring like made at 12.50 an hour. I work at CVS in edmond and do pretty well. I take it you did your pre-reqs at stillwater? You'll be hard pressed making it into SWOSU because the school only reserves 10 slots for non-SWOSU students, 5 instate 5 out of state is the usual division. But honestly, I'd say apply at both as much as possible.

I actually graduated in 2005 from Texas A&M and went to Graduate School...felt that research wasn't really my thing (long story short I wanted to help people) so I quit at the end of last year and decided to go apply for pharmacy. I went and talked to the counselor @ SWOSU, she said with my GPA (which is not that great ~3.10 for the science classes), I can get an interview if I get a high % on my PCAT (which I think 82% is within that range that she mentioned). Lets just say I apply to SWOSU for the spring and I get in...should I even bother with OU then??

Theres only 1 walgreens @ Stillwater and a few local pharmacies and one hospital...stupid small town =/ (Weatherford is much smaller though.....).

I don't know what you should do, but I do know that unless you just royally piss on your interview at OU, and you're GPA is decent, you'll get in.

Whats the usual GPA for OU cause I sort of just slacked off on my first and last (third) year at A&M which wasn't really good =/

I actually graduated in 2005 from Texas A&M and went to Graduate School...felt that research wasn't really my thing (long story short I wanted to help people) so I quit at the end of last year and decided to go apply for pharmacy. I went and talked to the counselor @ SWOSU, she said with my GPA (which is not that great ~3.10 for the science classes), I can get an interview if I get a high % on my PCAT (which I think 82% is within that range that she mentioned). Lets just say I apply to SWOSU for the spring and I get in...should I even bother with OU then??

Theres only 1 walgreens @ Stillwater and a few local pharmacies and one hospital...stupid small town =/ (Weatherford is much smaller though.....).

Whats the usual GPA for OU cause I sort of just slacked off on my first and last (third) year at A&M which wasn't really good =/

Average GPA for my class is 3.55. An 80 PCAT will let you get away with a 3.2 or 3.3 I would think.

At Swosu the bare minimum for an interview is usually a 3.0 with a 70 PCAT, as i recall Mrs. Theissen explaining, but The average scores and gpas over the 2003-2005 years comes to: PCAT 80 \GPA 3.49 \ACT 25 (gpa being accumulative)

As to science GPA, a high gpa is always preferred, but I'm taking a wild guess at this and i heard this from one of the pharmacy teachers at swosu that the average science GPA is around 3.6.

And as to the whole OU vs SWOSU, SWOSU has much smaller class size and you're able to meet with professors outside class much more easily. One of the interns i work with at CVS went to OU for a year until she couldn't afford and then was able to transfer to SWOSU and she says its a much more laid back learning environment and also the professors are more hands on in general.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. With a 31 on the ACT, ~3.1 overall GPA and a 82% on the PCAT, do you recommend taking the PCAT again? I'm afraid if I take it again I might do bad on my verbal since I always thought that was my weak point. And out of curiosity...since SWOSU requires my ACT score and I took it way back in 2001, is it acceptable if I just send in my transcript that has my ACT score on it or do they still require an official transcript from ACT??

Members don't see this ad :)
to the best of my knowlege they'll take it on your transcript, they did on my highschool anyways.

Just as a reminder if you don't know already, Friday is the Late Registration deadline for the August 25th PCAT.

Also, here is an updated version of the Average PCAT Scores compilation. There are new entries for some schools, more specific averages for other schools, and some deletions (for example, I didn't realize that this was Thomas Jefferson's first year. Silly me:oops:). You can download the latest file in this post or in the third post on the first page.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from more schools next week.

Attachments

• Average PCAT Scores by Institution-SDN Version 2.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 978
Long story short, I applied to take the PCAT again this August seeing how I might not get my test score back b4 the regular registration deadline. Here's the stupid part, I got my score and i had a 82 composite (yay!!) and I was debating whether I should just cancel my registration and get part of my money back. I "thought" the deadline to cancel registration was ten days before the TEST date and so I thought I had some time to think it over. Little did I know that the day I got my score (August 3rd) was the last day to cancel the registration. Stupid me, now should I just take the PCAT again (I haven't studied much for my first PCAT) and cram like crazy for the two weeks that I have or just blow that 125 bucks I spent on registering?

I know most of you will probably say take it, why not, it's not going to hurt you or anything but I really really hate these kind of standardized tests (they don't really test what you know imo, but that could just be me).

If I don't go take the test, will I still get a score report back with a 0??

Per request of your PCAT assistant moderator, this thread has been stickied to assist in score analysis questions and experiences. For those who have taken the test, good luck on those results.

I left the August PCAT feeling very unconfident... so here's my dilemma. I had my scores sent to PharmCAS and MCPHS. Silly me, I didn't realize until after I had registered that MCPHS doesn't require the PCATs. And after the way I felt taking it, it would probably have been wiser for me to not send the scores there at all. Does anyone know if a school who doesn't require the PCAT will still look at the scores if they are sent? MCPHS is my first choice school and I would hate for this to be the thing that detracts from my application. My second choice school is Albany and from what I've heard they don't even accept PCAT scores when looking at applications. Any input?

I left the August PCAT feeling very unconfident... so here's my dilemma. I had my scores sent to PharmCAS and MCPHS. Silly me, I didn't realize until after I had registered that MCPHS doesn't require the PCATs. And after the way I felt taking it, it would probably have been wiser for me to not send the scores there at all. Does anyone know if a school who doesn't require the PCAT will still look at the scores if they are sent? MCPHS is my first choice school and I would hate for this to be the thing that detracts from my application. My second choice school is Albany and from what I've heard they don't even accept PCAT scores when looking at applications. Any input?

In general, if a school explicitly states that it doesn't require the PCAT nor consider them (consider being the key word), then the adcoms won't even see your scores. The score will probably be dropped the the secretaries or something.

Now, some schools say that they don't require the PCAT but would consider it if there is one. I believe USC is one such school. So, look for key words like "consider" when looking up your answer on the MCPHS website.:)

Just got my August scores back, and I'm on the fence about keeping them.

Verbal Ability - 91
Biology - 74
Reading Comprehension - 81
Quantitative Ability - 68
Chemistry - 54
Composite - 79

I want to go ahead and apply with these scores, but I'm nervous that the quantitative and especially chemistry scores will keep me from getting in most schools. I've a 3.57 GPA, some volunteer pharm experience, with a BS and BA degree. I know that I won't have a lot of time to study for the October test is the only thing. What do you guys think, retake or no? :confused:

Just got my August scores back, and I'm on the fence about keeping them.

Verbal Ability - 91
Biology - 74
Reading Comprehension - 81
Quantitative Ability - 68
Chemistry - 54
Composite - 79

I want to go ahead and apply with these scores, but I'm nervous that the quantitative and especially chemistry scores will keep me from getting in most schools. I've a 3.57 GPA, some volunteer pharm experience, with a BS and BA degree. I know that I won't have a lot of time to study for the October test is the only thing. What do you guys think, retake or no? :confused:

What schools are you applying to and what is your science GPA?

Right now, your GPA is average to slightly above average while your PCAT score is in the competitive range of many schools but slightly lower than schools like Florida (see PCAT average spreadsheet) . Overall, your stats are in the figurative "middle of the pack". Do note that many schools look only at the composite score and not the section scores.

So, I think that you need to distinguish yourself with pharmacy experience and a good PS. I think that you would be safe by keeping these scores as they are decent enough to get interviews. Once you get that interview opportunity, then that's a whole new level for you to distinguish yourself.

Retake the PCAT only if you have the time and know that you can boost your math and chem scores without experiencing a decrease in the other areas. For the latter situation, reflect on the exam and think about whether or not you felt a little "lucky" in getting those higher scores. Sometimes, we may get "hot" in answering questions that may not be replicated on another PCAT administration. If you feel that your scores reflect your true abilities, it's a waste of time and money to study for the PCAT when you have other applications and commitments, namely classes to keep that GPA up.

Not to pile on, just to confirm that my prep materials were good, they helped me just the way I described in other threads. August 25, 2007:

Scaled / Percentile

Verbal ----- 458 / 98
Biology ----- 478 / 99
Reading ---- 416 / 74
Quantitative 415 / 76
Chemistry -- 434 / 91

Composite -- 440 / 97

As mentioned earlier, if you average your 5 categories & divide by .9, that will give you a good idea of your Composite score. My average was 87.6%.

Writing - - Score / Mean

Language ---- 4.0 / 2.89
Problem solving 4.0 / 2.83

I guess they don't give out any 3.5 or 4.5 scores for writing...

Not to pile on, just to confirm that my prep materials were good, they helped me just the way I described in other threads. August 25, 2007:

Scaled Percentile

Verbal - 458 98
Biology - 478 99
Reading - 416 74
Quantitative - 415 76
Chemistry - 434 91

Composite - 440 97

As mentioned earlier, if you average your 5 categories & divide by .9, that will give you a good idea of your Composite score. My average was 87.6%.

Writing Score Mean

Language 4.0 2.89
Problem solving 4.0 2.83

omnione's analysis: I don't think that you need to retake the PCAT.:D

I'm just glad I got the results in the mail today, which is the deadline for cancel for the October test date. Only get back $62.50 [half] but I was really concerned about the Math section, thought I might dip below 50%.

The Reading Comprehension was weird, I must have over-thought the answers several times. It had a higher Scaled score but lower Percentile than my math.

I need advice! I had a really bad feeling that this is exactly how my bio and chem would look... I definitely studied, but I felt like NONE of the stuff I studied was on the test. And I'm a little out of practice, being 27 and out of school for a while.

Verbal Ability: 458/98
Biology: 407/64:thumbdown:
Reading Comp: 427/86
Quantitative: 430/89
Chemistry: 410/69:thumbdown:
Composite: 426/90

Writing: 4.0/3.5

I'm happy with my composite and everything but the two important ones... the question is, is it wise to retake, knowing that my composite could go down? There is definitely room for it to improve, though. HELP! Oh, and my GPA is around 3.5-ish (not sure my actual yet) and my science GPA is like a 3.3 or so... The schools I'm hoping to apply to are Albany (a long shot), Buffalo, LECOM - Erie, MCPHS - Worcester, and Campbell.

By the way, I'm in NY for those waiting for their scores.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this... first, I would like your input if I should take the October PCAT... if yes, should I go ahead and send in my application now with my current score and hope for an interview for schools that have rolling admissions or should I wait until October PCAT scores are out. I am currently in undergrad at Iowa and looking to apply to Iowa, Creighton, and Kansas. I have a 3.5 GPA but only a 3.3 science GPA.

My scores:
84 Quantitative
79 Verbal
74 Chem
69 Bio
67 Reading

Writing 4/3.5

Composite 80

I know my scores aren't very high, but I've noticed a lot of people have very high scores combined with very low scores... and all of mine are close together but kind of average.

Thanks for the input!

Composite 80

I know my scores aren't very high, but I've noticed a lot of people have very high scores combined with very low scores... and all of mine are close together but kind of average.

Thanks for the input![/quote]

Thousands of people took the PCAT.... thousands...... and there are something like twenty reported here? From absolute strangers, who have nothing invested in telling the complete truth to other absolute strangers? That's not to imply that anyone is lying about their scores, but hey, if they were, how would anyone know?

So really- don't get hung up on what seems to be amazing scores by everyone but you. Look at your scores in the context that they were reported: you scored higher than 80% of the literally thousands who took the test. Not bad, I'd say.

From my perspective (and I'm not on a pharmacy adcom, so take this with a grain of salt), I'd say your scores reflect a very well-rounded individual who is either smarter than the average bear, or who simply studies harder and performs better than most. I, personally, am much more impressed with your scores than I would be of, say, someone with 95s in math and science and 50s in verbal and reading (or vice-versa). But that's just me.

Realistically- you're going to get a lot of comments from people who really don't know much more about the admissions process than you do. They're either in the same position you're in (pre-pharm), or they recently were accepted and may be in their first year or two of pharm school. There are also a lot of older, experienced pharmacists here who will have some good input for you......

BUT, please keep in mind that many, if not most, of the people in here aren't sitting on adcoms, and aren't reviewing applications from a perspective any different from yours. When someone says "wow, you should get in with those stats," what is the basis for their claim? Are they really in any position to make that statement? Or did they go through one or two years of applications, to two or three schools (none of which are the ones you're applying to)?

People mean well, they really do, and I believe everyone's trying to be as helpful as possible. Just try to keep ther comments in perspective.

You did better than 80% of the thousands of test-takers; a very, very small minority of those test-takers did phenomenally well, have found SDN, and are posting numbers here. Go to PharmCas.org, look at your prospective schools, and check out the average PCAT score of the most recent crop of admitted students.... and use that to compare your scores.

So I can say I think you did well (which I do), but since I'm not an adcom at the school(s) of your choice, my opinion of your score isn't really significant. ;-)

Hey everybody, I'm new to this and wish I would have known about this site and online community sooner. It's awesome how everybody here can share information with each other, and give each other support. I just think that's great. Anyways, I finally got my scores back and thought I would share them with everybody. I really thought that I would have to re-take the test in October, as I felt very uncomfortable with the Quantitative section. Hopefully these scores will be decent enough to apply to the schools that I am considering.

Verbal Ability 447 96
Biology 419 78
Reading Comp 416 74
Quantitative 406 64
Chemistry 458 98
Composite 429 92

Writing
Conventions of Lang 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0[/B]

Is my chemistry score going to make my scores doubtable? What about my reading comprehension? :)THANK YOU!:)

Verbal Ability 98
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 74
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 74
Composite 98

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.5

hey guys,

alright can some of you guys comment on my scores and whether or not i should retake the pcat? im going to be a junior at truman state university this coming year, and i plan on graduating after my senior year with a chemistry degree, then pursue pharmacy school.

here are my scores:

verbal - 82
bio - 42 (yikes?!)
reading - 87
quant - 73
chem - 89
composite - 80

writing convention - 3.0
problem solving - 2.5

you guys think i should retake the pcat, and if yes, is retaking it sooner better? thanks in advance

edit:
im hoping to attend UMKC, or USC, who does not require the PCAT.

those schools do require the PCAT

Hmm... A number of people seem to have a high verbal with a mediocre reading score. I don't remember seeing that for different testings.

Hello fellow SDNers,

I am needing help with my PCAT score (I just received it yesterday and I am in CA, so those of you who are in CA should be getting your scores soon if not already) - Here is my break down (percentile rank)

verbal 91
bio 98
reading 42 (how did this happen? =| )
quant 68
chem 60
composite 84

both writing 3.0

as you can see, I have some relatively strong parts where as my reading, quant, and chem fell on the short side. My reading score is really quite low, I am not sure how that happened but I guess I didn't really study/practice for it (I wasn't sure how to study for it =/ ) Now I realized that even reading comp can be (and should be) studied by timed practices - Time constraint was a large factor why I felt freaked out during my reading section - so do keep this in mind Oct PCAT takers =)

So my question is, I do know that with a 42 in reading comprehension, I should be retaking my PCAT some time later. However I am applying this year and sending in my PharmCAS this coming Monday. Would this score of 42 in reading comp really jeopardize my chance of getting in in spite of a 84% composite? Most importantly, are there schools out there that look more at the composite rather than focusing on looking at each individual scores?

Any opinion is welcome, I appreciate your time =)

Scaled / Percentile

Verbal ----- 458 / 98
Biology ----- 478 / 99
Reading ---- 416 / 74
Quantitative 415 / 76
Chemistry -- 434 / 91

Composite -- 440 / 97

Writing - - Score / Mean

Language ---- 4.0 / 2.89
Problem solving 4.0 / 2.83

woahhh congrats Eric, I just got my score too. May I ask what you used to prepare your studying and how (and how long) you studied?

I have a composite of 84 and I have really strong and really weak sections (and hence the average). I really do need to improve my reading, chem, and quant.

Any feedback is welcome =) thank you

I'm one of those people, Knickerbocker.

I thought the many of questions were REALLY dumb or not applicable and that the reading passages were arranged/composed to take a huge left turn somewhere between the 2nd and 4th paragraph, aka: bad writing.

Some prep materials warn you about trick questions based on not reading the entire passage. The August version seemed to be mostly tricks and less comprehension.

My Comp2 teacher would've given most of the passages a C for lack of cohesiveness.

Bubble: Other than listening to AudioLearn to continually learn what is on the test [but not looking it up right away] most of my studying was for 3 weeks prior to the test, with materials I talk about in other posts, you could search on my profile name.

I studied a LOT for my classes. Overall GPA 3.5 [some of that's years ago], pre-pharmacy GPA 4.0.

Here are my scores:

Verbal: 60
Biology: 94
Reading: 86
Quant: 83
Chemistry: 98

Composite: 93

Writing: 3.0/3.5

Not real thrilled about the verbal score, but I wasn't expecting it to be great to begin with.

Any idea if getting a 60 on the verbal is going to hinder my chances at getting accepted? I'm looking at any of the schools in MI (ferris, u of m, and wayne state). None of them, to my knowledge, have a minimum component score.

GPA currently is 3.7

Thanks for any and all advice.

Yayyy!

Chemistry: 93
Verbal: 86
Reading: 87
Math: 91
Composite: 94

I wrote them down but I can't find them, I think those are the individual scores, but I know for sure the composite was a 94. I will check to make sure the others are right later. I have a 3.35 GPA. I really hope this new PCAT score helps my GPA out! I had an 82 PCAT before.

I need advice! I had a really bad feeling that this is exactly how my bio and chem would look... I definitely studied, but I felt like NONE of the stuff I studied was on the test. And I'm a little out of practice, being 27 and out of school for a while.

Verbal Ability: 458/98
Biology: 407/64:thumbdown:
Reading Comp: 427/86
Quantitative: 430/89
Chemistry: 410/69:thumbdown:
Composite: 426/90

I'm happy with my composite and everything but the two important ones... the question is, is it wise to retake, knowing that my composite could go down? There is definitely room for it to improve, though. HELP! Oh, and my GPA is around 3.5-ish (not sure my actual yet) and my science GPA is like a 3.3 or so... The schools I'm hoping to apply to are Albany (a long shot), Buffalo, LECOM - Erie, MCPHS - Worcester, and Campbell.

By the way, I'm in NY for those waiting for their scores.

If you boost your bio and chem score to 80+, then your percentile composite would probably be around the mid-90s if not higher assuming that none of your other scores go down. If they do, then your composite will be about the same. For schools where the composite only matters, I don't think that you are gaining a whole lot be retaking the PCAT. As I said to you in a different thread, information about those schools are sparse.

Stat wise, you are an sabove average applicant IMO so I think that you would be safe for composite-only schools. If those schools do look at sections, then you probably could retake the PCAT even if you're willing to accept the possibility that you trade composite percentiles for section percentiles. Even then, many schools only at your highest score anyway.

Verbal 74%
Biology 64%
Reading 86%
Math 44% :scared:
Chemistry 74%

Composite 72%

I really hope my 3.73 GPA will outweigh the sorry score. I really don't have the time to retake it and try raise it. I'm applying to UF where the average PCAT for those accepted is much higher, but the rest of my application is pretty strong. I was really hoping to just break the 80s, then I would feel MUCH better about getting in. Now basically its just wait and hope for the best! :rolleyes:

Okay, I did really well on most of the test, getting 90% or above on every section and 95% composite... but chemistry was only 69%. The school I want to go to requires a 75% minimum on each section, so I signed up to retake in October. The issue is, though, that the school I wish to attend (Butler) only takes 3 students a year. I have a high GPA but obviously I cannot count on getting in. Now I'm afraid that when I retake my other scores will drop - after all, the test is only a week and a half away and I'm only focusing on chem. And I'm afraid I'll blow the chem again anyway, because I am at a loss as to how to prepare in such a short time (and last time I didn't even get to read every question - it was more a question of time than of knowledge limits). Am I possibly screwing myself over by retaking this test, considering my composite may drop?

Are these online programs any good?!?
has any1 used them before and improved their score?

PCAT professor...http://www.pcatprofessor.com/
THE PCAT...http://www.thepcat.com/
Morrison Media...http://www.testpreparationsecrets.com/pcat/

took the pcat in june 07
got 80 in math 60sumtin in chem with only gen chem 1 done
got 50sumtin in bio with no A&P and wont take it this yr cuz ferris state dont require it
got 30s in reading and verbal!!...and no im not an immigrant..lived in Canada and USA for my whole life...
4/2.5 on essay
composite was a low 50

need some major help with bio reading and verbal sections...need to definately raise those scores..any suggestions..besides reading magaizines and wat not

i have a 4.0 gpa ..so im lookin to score an 80 on the pcat

Are these online programs any good?!?
has any1 used them before and improved their score?

PCAT professor...http://www.pcatprofessor.com/
THE PCAT...http://www.thepcat.com/
Morrison Media...http://www.testpreparationsecrets.com/pcat/

took the pcat in june 07
got 80 in math 60sumtin in chem with only gen chem 1 done
got 50sumtin in bio with no A&P and wont take it this yr cuz ferris state dont require it
got 30s in reading and verbal!!...and no im not an immigrant..lived in Canada and USA for my whole life...
4/2.5 on essay
composite was a low 50

need some major help with bio reading and verbal sections...need to definately raise those scores..any suggestions..besides reading magaizines and wat not

i have a 4.0 gpa ..so im lookin to score an 80 on the pcat

Honestly, I would start by using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation in everyday life, including your posts here. I didn't study at all for the reading and verbal sections; I think for these sections it's more of a lifelong aquired skill than something to study. I'm sure there are reading and verbal practice sections online, as well.

Yikes! We have some needy posts here.:)

Okay, I did really well on most of the test, getting 90% or above on every section and 95% composite... but chemistry was only 69%. The school I want to go to requires a 75% minimum on each section, so I signed up to retake in October. The issue is, though, that the school I wish to attend (Butler) only takes 3 students a year. I have a high GPA but obviously I cannot count on getting in. Now I'm afraid that when I retake my other scores will drop - after all, the test is only a week and a half away and I'm only focusing on chem. And I'm afraid I'll blow the chem again anyway, because I am at a loss as to how to prepare in such a short time (and last time I didn't even get to read every question - it was more a question of time than of knowledge limits). Am I possibly screwing myself over by retaking this test, considering my composite may drop?

Butler does not use the composite score, so the idea is just to get above a 75 in every section. Other schools only look at the best composite.

Here are my scores:

Verbal: 60
Reading: 86
Quant: 83
Chemistry: 98

Composite: 93

Writing: 3.0/3.5

Not real thrilled about the verbal score, but I wasn't expecting it to be great to begin with.

Any idea if getting a 60 on the verbal is going to hinder my chances at getting accepted? I'm looking at any of the schools in MI (ferris, u of m, and wayne state). None of them, to my knowledge, have a minimum component score.

GPA currently is 3.7

Thanks for any and all advice.

Your lowest score is verbal and your GPA is high. You have a 93 so I wouldn't retake it. Of course, you probably have decided by now but this is for future applicants.;)

Hello fellow SDNers,

I am needing help with my PCAT score (I just received it yesterday and I am in CA, so those of you who are in CA should be getting your scores soon if not already) - Here is my break down (percentile rank)

verbal 91
bio 98
reading 42 (how did this happen? =| )
quant 68
chem 60
composite 84

both writing 3.0

as you can see, I have some relatively strong parts where as my reading, quant, and chem fell on the short side. My reading score is really quite low, I am not sure how that happened but I guess I didn't really study/practice for it (I wasn't sure how to study for it =/ ) Now I realized that even reading comp can be (and should be) studied by timed practices - Time constraint was a large factor why I felt freaked out during my reading section - so do keep this in mind Oct PCAT takers =)

So my question is, I do know that with a 42 in reading comprehension, I should be retaking my PCAT some time later. However I am applying this year and sending in my PharmCAS this coming Monday. Would this score of 42 in reading comp really jeopardize my chance of getting in in spite of a 84% composite? Most importantly, are there schools out there that look more at the composite rather than focusing on looking at each individual scores?

Any opinion is welcome, I appreciate your time =)

Yes, and that seems more common in my research. I do plan to add whether a school looks at composite and/or individual scores.

Omnione, I noticed you go to Creighton. I am looking to apply there. Do you think my stats will make me competitive there?
3.5 GPA
3.3 Science/Math
PCAT:
Verbal 79
Biology 69
Reading Comp 67
Quantitative 87
Chemistry 78
Composite 80
I actually just took the October PCAT also and I think I did better, but I will have to wait six weeks to find out.
I also have worked in a pharmacy for 3 years - worked for a Creighton pharmacy grad and he is writing one of my LOR.
If you have any sort of input, that would be great! Thanks a lot!

Omnione, I noticed you go to Creighton. I am looking to apply there. Do you think my stats will make me competitive there?
3.5 GPA
3.3 Science/Math
PCAT:
Verbal 79
Biology 69
Reading Comp 67
Quantitative 87
Chemistry 78
Composite 80
I actually just took the October PCAT also and I think I did better, but I will have to wait six weeks to find out.
I also have worked in a pharmacy for 3 years - worked for a Creighton pharmacy grad and he is writing one of my LOR.
If you have any sort of input, that would be great! Thanks a lot!

Your PCAT is slightly below our average though it's in the competitive range but your GPA is slightly above average too so it all balances out. A better PCAT from yesterday will boost your status from middle of the pack. From my interaction with the students here as well as the admissions people, they do like that well-balanced person aside from the stats. Get good LORs and write a good PS and you have a great shot at getting an interview in my opinion.

this information will definately come in handy to me when i take my PCAT next year summer.thanx

ok my turn for help
i got my scores

Last edited:
Any advice would be appreciated:

..................Scaled Score......Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability----- 414 ---------- 73
Biology----------- 460 ---------- 98
Reading Comp. ----393 ---------- 39
Quant. Abil.------- 402 ---------- 57
Chemistry--------- 442 ---------- 94

Composite --------422 ----------- 86

Writing Scores Score/Mean
------------- -----------
Conv. of Lang. 4.0/2.85
Prob. Solving 3.0/2.89

I know my scores seem really weird and inconsistent. Here is my situation.
I have not taken calculus yet, so that explains my Quantitative score. I have a BS in Biology (3.45 GPA), so that explains my Bio and Chem scores. As you can see, my Verbal was fine and I did relatively well in the Writing section. The problem is my Reading Comprehension. I have never been a fast reader. I have problems completing the sections within the alloted time-frame. I do have a medical condition called Amblyopia or "Lazy Eye." I did not request any special accommodations. Am I dead in the water? Has anyone else experienced something similar to my situation, and do you have any suggestions? I am obviously able to comprehend material, it just usually takes me a little more time reading. For example, I did very well in the sciences, I know this is applied knowledge the PCAT is testing in these sections, but at one point I had to comprehend the material in order to learn and apply it.

I also have over 10 years pharmacy experience as a technician and as a Pharmacy Tech teacher.

Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks,

Mike