The strangest question you've been asked at an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I wonder what was the
strangest question you have been asked at an interview or a question you weren't expecting at all?

Feel free to
name the school if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"what is a dentist?" :wtf:
literally lol and they didnt like my answer i guess so they asked it again at the end of the interview

"Do you like my new office"

Members don't see this ad :)
"How much money do you have in your purse?" :thinking:

Reactions: 2 users
“Who is your best friend”
Completely caught me off guard lol

Reactions: 1 users
I was so scared for questions like this, but out of all my interviews I was only given very generic questions.

Why don’t you want to become a plumber?

How many schools did you apply?
Why did you apply to so many?
Rank the schools.

If you could be any tooth, which would you be and why?

"What is the least important reason why you want to become a dentist?" Hardest question I had to answer, maybe bc I wasn't expecting it.

I got asked the same question twice in a row. weird.

Do you think a bloomin' onion is made of one large onion or multiple small onions? Caught me 100% off guard since all of the other questions had been totally normal.

Do you think a bloomin' onion is made of one large onion or multiple small onions? Caught me 100% off guard since all of the other questions had been totally normal.

wut

Members don't see this ad :)
bahahaha its gotta be one onion

"Explain a time you over came adversity WITHOUT using perseverance." Try to wrap your brain around that one lol

“Why would you got to your 2nd choice school over us?”

"Explain a time you over came adversity WITHOUT using perseverance." Try to wrap your brain around that one lol

I think it's basically asking if you ever effortlessly used problem solving skills to solve an issue.

Probably any situation where patience was the only solution.

“Why would you got to your 2nd choice school over us?”

What... because they're not your first choice? Gosh the different ways they tend to ask what makes them unique/why them....

I was asked a few controversial questions from my interviews....

So I'm originally Palestinian and spent a lot of my childhood in Palestine. So when they asked me to tell them about myself, I ended up briefly mentioning Palestine. But they decided to make the entire remainder of the interview about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. First they say "imagine we know nothing about the topic, explain the entire history"...I was like oh god, but i did. Then they asked me "imagine you are put in the position that you have to propose a solution to the leaders of both sides to resolve the crisis, how would you do it?"... ARE YOU SERIOUS? I mean I somehow got through that entire interview without stuttering, hesitating or losing my cool...but it was rough!

Another interviewer asked me "whats your opinion of our president?"

i got asked about what i did as hobbies starting from elementary school to high school and university... and why i liked and disliked them :')

So I'm originally Palestinian and spent a lot of my childhood in Palestine. So when they asked me to tell them about myself, I ended up briefly mentioning Palestine. But they decided to make the entire remainder of the interview about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. First they say "imagine we know nothing about the topic, explain the entire history"...I was like oh god, but i did. Then they asked me "imagine you are put in the position that you have to propose a solution to the leaders of both sides to resolve the crisis, how would you do it?"... ARE YOU SERIOUS? I mean I somehow got through that entire interview without stuttering, hesitating or losing my cool...but it was rough!

sounds like you did a great job

Why are they involving politics? Honestly I wouldn't survive that so good job

Why are they involving politics? Honestly I wouldn't survive that so good job

Because in clinic some patients will get political and they probably wanna make sure you won't blow up

the easiest way to handle this is to say, "I don't discuss politics, sexual orientation, or religion with my patients"

Well they probably aren't gonna ask you this question with respect to patient interaction. They will just ask it in general. Would you tell the interviewer you don't wanna discuss it with them?

Well they probably aren't gonna ask you this question with respect to patient interaction. They will just ask it in general. Would you tell the interviewer you don't wanna discuss it with them?
yup
they are not looking for your answer, they are looking for how you answer it

I was preparing for my answer about
Donald Trump the other day. My sister told me but they have no right to ask us a political question. I continued to prepare for my answer because I knew it might come up, especially like you, I grew up in a very peculiar place where we lived under rough situation with many political problems and discrimination to certain kind of minorities and they indeed might turn the whole conversation about where I grew up. ( I hope not!)

I am glad you were able to keep your cool.

Did your answer for the solution between the two groups impress them?

"What is the least important reason why you want to become a dentist?" Hardest question I had to answer, maybe bc I wasn't expecting it.

The least reason for me is Money!

The least reason for me is Money!
I thought about saying money but I didn't want to even make it a reason why I chose dentistry and potentially bring to the conversation a more uncomfortable question. All of this was going through my head in 3 or 4 secs lol:laugh:

I was preparing for my answer about Donald Trump the other day. My sister told me but they have no right to ask us a political question. I continued to prepare for my answer because I knew it might come up, especially like you, I grew up in a very peculiar place where we lived under rough situation with many political problems and discrimination to certain kind of minorities and they indeed might turn the whole conversation about where I grew up. ( I hope not!)

Why are you preparing your answer on Trump? They’re never gonna ask your thoughts on Trump lmao. Is this a joke or... Your posts always amuse me haha.

"What do your parents do for work?"

Just thought it was kind of irrelevant to my application

Why are you preparing your answer on Trump? They’re never gonna ask your thoughts on Trump lmao. Is this a joke or... Your posts always amuse me haha.

My friend got asked about him at his Columbia Interview....

They asked him about his opinion on the current healthcare system. Then asked a follow up about his opinion on how the current administration is handling it which pretty much means how is trump handling it.

Anything is on the table at interviews. Almost all the interviews I attended asked me some political thing except Michigan

that's what you do when you are a dentist

You ain’t interviewing to fake being someone else. They wanna know you, not what you think you will be.

But if that’s who you truly are and aren’t doing what you think they want them that’s good!!

"If you were to write a song, who would you write it with and what would it be about?" I seriously struggled with this question mainly because I thought it was so bizarre and didn't fit with the rest of the interview.

I was preparing for my answer about Donald Trump the other day. My sister told me but they have no right to ask us a political question. I continued to prepare for my answer because I knew it might come up, especially like you, I grew up in a very peculiar place where we lived under rough situation with many political problems and discrimination to certain kind of minorities and they indeed might turn the whole conversation about where I grew up. ( I hope not!)

They seemed to like it i guess. I tried to be as neutral as possible but at the same time I was still obviously pro Palestinian.

And in terms of the Trump question, I hesitated a little and laughed. I said I'm not a particularly a Trump supporter and my interviewer just also laughed and said I guess I shouldnt be asking such a question. He then followed up with "I agree with you you by the way on trump". So ya, you never know what they will ask

I was asked this in my NYU interview earlier this month, it definitely caught me off guard bc I also feel like it was irrelevant to the interview itself but I guess they wanted to verify that info from my app for some odd reason...

Last edited:

I was also asked this at one of my interviews:wideyed:. It was closed file so my guess is that the interviewer wanted to get to know me better. But I was asked plenty of personal questions about my family and story at most of my interviews so this one didn't surprise me that much

At Tufts, "You seemed to have done all high-brow jobs like research and dental assisting, have you ever been in a job that is more down and dirty?" :thinking:

i feel like undergrad research was a dirtier environment compared to working retail and nightshifts as a lab tech imho