The truth behind admissions and criminal background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read it all.

You guys are just lazy
I hope you all choke on the VR specially since your such class-A jerks

I appreciated the info
Thanks for posting it kind sir :thumbup:

and good day!!!!

agreed. that was just incredibly rude of alaska and jurassic. there's a PM function for a reason you guys... and there's also a section of the forums where you can post whatever the heck you want. so why ruin someone's thread with useless comments? what about those people who WANT to know the information but have to read through your incessant childish posts...

but thanks for the heads up combat medic. although this does not apply to me, i just wanted to read FACTUAL information :). i think it would be a bit better though if you used more paragraphs :p that way, people will have an easier time reading it.

but in everything there could be (criminal offenses and hiding classes that were taken) honesty always prevails. especially when it comes to admissions!

Members don't see this ad.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA[/YOUTUBE]

its long, but may very well save your butt one day.

in a nutshell, the only things to say are:

1. I want to see a lawyer.

***2. I do not consent to a search.***

Gotta love the ACLU and how on that tape everyone was, in fact, guilty of a crime. I agree with the notion of lawyering up and staying silent; the goals of police officers are to arrest people who have committed crimes, not "make it easier on you" if you 'fess up, so that's never in your interest. The only opening your car window a tiny bit will never be acceptable and it will make the police suspicious if you try -- a very bad idea IMHO. As for not consenting to a search, you should know that the rules are very different for a car, a bag and a house. Honestly if you don't allow police to search your car or bag but your actions or statements make them reasonably suspicious, they will either get a warrant (based on your words or actions), bring out a canine unit to sniff around you, the bag and/or the car (to give them enough reasonable suspicion for a search or warrant to actually look inside) or simply bring you downtown based on whatever traffic violation you committed, and do an inventory search of the car or bag there. The example where the officer is suspicious but just lets the kids drive off with a speeding ticket is somewhat bogus -- if the policeman had good reason to actually think they had something in the car (which seemed to be the case based on his squirrelly actions on this tape), he should have been able to come up with some articulable reason to detain the kids. If he didn't think something was up, he would have never made them get out of the car. [In the scenario where the kid had paint on his hands and lied to the police as to where he was going, he probably gave them plenty of reasonable suspicion to detain him, bring him downtown and find the paint.]

So the only really good defense when you get arrested in public is to not have drugs on you. Always the wisest approach. The next best thing is to stay silent and lawyer up. The odds of helping yourself by coming clean to the officer are non-existent. Not consenting to a requested search comes in a distant third and is often fruitless -- if they really think you have drugs, the police have too many other tools in their arsenal that they can use without violating your rights.

The situation with the woman bringing the cops upstairs to hand them the bag of pot was pretty laughable. Warrants to search a residence tend to be harder to come by and so your odds of getting arrested in your own home without an independent reason for the police to come inside (eg someone inside is ill/OD'd, the police are serving a warrant on a guest, they see someone committing a crime through the door/window), are pretty nominal. So yeah, in that case you come outside and don't invite the police in, and you are home free.

Last edited:
I will never consent to a search of my vehicle. Why? Because if the officer has probably cause, he will do it anyway. If he doesn't have good reason, he is just fishing, and, frankly, I resent it. He will either let me go or search me anyway, but at least if I am searched without permission I would have the defense of unreasonable search if something turns up.

ESPECIALLY if you have something illegal in your car or if you have any passengers in your car, do not consent to a search. Zero upside. Don't believe the cops when they tell you that your cooperation will help you in court. The only thing that will help you is avoiding the search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2doc, in many places around the country a drug dog could be hours away, and from what I understand, on a traffic stop they cannot detain you to wait for a dog. If they had something to tell a judge, they wouldn't need a warrant. No cop is gonna bother a judge with "something just doesn't seem right, I want to search the vehicle." They would be laughed off the phone.

Law2doc, in many places around the country a drug dog could be hours away, and from what I understand, on a traffic stop they cannot detain you to wait for a dog. If they had something to tell a judge, they wouldn't need a warrant. No cop is gonna bother a judge with "something just doesn't seem right, I want to search the vehicle." They would be laughed off the phone.

Like he said, they would just arrest you for whatever stupid reason then get a warrant to inventory the car anyways. A huge pain in the ass for no reason other than some bogus concept of defending your rights.

No problem , its amazing how immature people act but wish to enter one of the most professional fields in america.

I think that this thread should be stick'ied after all the irrelevant comments are filtered out.

:thumbup:

I actually think this many times when I'm reading through posts.

I didn't actually read what you wrote up there bc it doesn't pertain to me, but I appreciate you trying to help us out.

Agreed

I will never consent to a search of my vehicle.

I've never had anything illegal in my vehicle ever and I don't ever want my car searched.

I would agree with part of what L2D said, though -- all the people in the video had actually done something wrong, except for maybe that 3rd guy (seemed unclear).

Like he said, they would just arrest you for whatever stupid reason then get a warrant to inventory the car anyways. A huge pain in the ass for no reason other than some bogus concept of defending your rights.

I highly doubt it. They are not likely to make up some bogus charge to arrest you if you have committed no crimes. Cops are not going to generate a whole lot of paperwork by charging you with a bogus crime for which there is no proof, on the off chance that you have drugs in the car. They really don't care about searching you that much. If you are respectful, refuse permission, and ask to leave, they will probably let you go with your traffic ticket. Like anyone else, cops don't want to deal with headaches at work.

Skimmed it - but I know many people would find this very helpful - nice post.

And thanks to the person who has "Pre Med BodyBuilder" under his (or her?) avatar - made my day! If that's a joke it made me laugh. If you're serious - I can laugh even harder. Who puts that on this forum!? lol

Another educational video on how to deal with the police:

[youtube]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8[/youtube]

A while back I came across a link to a federal gov website that had links to all sorts of different forms that they use for fed. background checks, security clearances, etc. I thought it was the Office of Personnel Management website. Alas, I can't retrace my steps and find the page, although I'll keep looking. But from what I can remember, if your school is affiliated w/a VA hospital they require a more in-depth security clearance than the one usually ordered by the school. The website I'm thinking of actually had a form for the VA background check, and they did ask for all disciplinary actions, including article 15s. But most of the other criminal activities they asked about had a time specification of 7 years prior.

Also, if you are on the OIG exclusion list you are going to have trouble w/your background check, as Combatmedic mentioned in the OP. And I also read somewhere (couldn't verify due to broken link) that defaulting on student loans can land you on the OIG exclusion list, so don't default, kids!

I will try to find that website and post a link when I have more time.

For a group of people who so desperately want to devote a significant part of their lives to studying, its interesting how many of you hate to read.

And thanks to the person who has "Pre Med BodyBuilder" under his (or her?) avatar - made my day! If that's a joke it made me laugh. If you're serious - I can laugh even harder. Who puts that on this forum!? lol

1- I would first like to apologize for pissing people off in this thread and the OP. Didn't think people were going to take it that way honestly...I study and research all day and come on here for a break sometimes, but I will never try to have fun on here again since apparently it is not the place for that.

2- In regards to jumpingjax...yes it is true. I am extremely sorry I do not fit the typical pre-med stereotype of being an unathletic and out of shape skinny kid.

1- I would first like to apologize for pissing people off in this thread and the OP. Didn't think people were going to take it that way honestly...I study and research all day and come on here for a break sometimes, but I will never try to have fun on here again since apparently it is not the place for that.

2- In regards to jumpingjax...yes it is true. I am extremely sorry I do not fit the typical pre-med stereotype of being an unathletic and out of shape skinny kid.

qft.

i'm not ever gonna be a body-builder, but i don't fit that mould either. yay for us!

By SDN standards, both of you are now destined to be horrible doctors.