The Ultimate 2020 Election / Politics / General News Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Hence why I'm on the side that you're an idiot if you think anesthesiologists are in the same boat as most 9-5 people whose annual median household income is less than $60k a year.

P.S. I also know you know that wasn't bragging, but rather in relation to sending things of value (car titles) safely within the US mail, but thanks for being a super disingenuous ****head and taking that out of context.

Disingenuous ****head??

Multiple folks have tried to engage you in factual discussions in this thread, and you REPEATEDLY turn it into personal attacks (****head/fascists/MAGA-ites/etc) and endless “Cut and paste-a-thons”, in a neverending quest to get the last word in or to shut down discussion, or to simply change the subject.

Your narcissism and self-righteousness seems to know no bounds...

Oh, and put $1,000,000 in a mutual fund at age 35 (which someone making $100-$150k a year from age 22-35 (without med school debt/medical trainining)could do, ride it for 30 years at 10% interest, and tell me if you’ll EVER catch that making $400k a year, WITH debt, and starting 5-10 years behind..(It’s $17 million, BTW.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disingenuous ****head??

Multiple folks have tried to engage you in factual discussions in this thread, and you REPEATEDLY turn it into personal attacks (****head/fascists/MAGA-ites/etc) and endless “Cut and paste-a-thons”, in a neverending quest to get the last word in or to shut down discussion, or to simply change the subject.

Your narcissism and self-righteousness seems to know no bounds...

Please point me to where I haven't engaged someone on the facts, because it ain't there hoss. Just like how you selectively tried to post one pay schedule from one fire department in TX as proof of government workers making a whopping salary and I corrected you with the fact that the average national salary for firemen is way, way, way lower. I engaged with you on the facts and called you out for being disingenuous, which you were, by trying to paint me as "bragging" instead of merely sharing the value of things sent by mail.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and put $1,000,000 in a mutual fund at age 35 (which someone making $100-$150k a year from age 22-35 (without med school debt/medical trainining)could do, ride it for 30 years at 10% interest, and tell me if you’ll EVER catch that making $400k a year, WITH debt, and starting 5-10 years behind..(It’s $17 million, BTW.

Thanks for revealing that no one should be taking you seriously....since apparently your thesis is hinged upon a comparison to professionals (and some Texas firemen) making $100k at age 22, putting away $1m by 35, and then earning 10% compounded for the next 30 years. LMAO

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Barring the outright distortions and misrepresentations that we’ve come to expect of blade’s posts recently, the underlying theme of his post is still that

-The craziest pols on the left mostly want to spend a lot of tax dollars to help even the playing field in an era where wealth and income equality are approaching levels from the Gilded Age pre-Depression, fight climate change which eventually will undoubtedly be an existential threat, and to use the power of government to correct systemic racism or other forms of discrimination which are still alive and well today

Whereas

-The craziest pols on the right are open anti-Semites who think trump should be empowered to fight Satan worshiping pedophiles. Oh yea, and btw COVID and 9/11 are both hoaxes.

Also, is Steve King still a member of the House?

Yeah.... “facts”.......

Yeah.... “facts”.......

Are you actually disputing anything there? The craziest politicians (or serious candidates) on the left get called crazy because of the massive amounts of money they want to spend. The craziest politician (or serious candidate) on the right is that Qanon lady in GA who is a shoe-in for Congress who said the 9/11 pentagon plane was a hoax and that George Soros is a nazi.

Thanks for revealing that no one should be taking you seriously....since apparently your thesis is hinged upon a comparison to Texas firemen making $100k at age 22, putting away $1m by 35, and then earning 10% compounded for the next 30 years. LMAO

You’re telling me that a firefighter/teacher couple, making “combined” $150k, can’t put away $1mil in THIRTEEN years (cash/401k/401k match/etc.). Do you even LISTEN to yourself, or do you simply start reacting /typing/cut&paste in a frantic urge to try to prove yourself right, and always get some kind of last word in?? Do you dispute basic math (plenty of folks who buckle down, put away $30-50k, plus 401k and 401k match)?? Historical stock market returns??

Putting $35k a year away starting at 22, for 13 years (at 10%), gives the magical $1mil at age 35. A couple simply maxing out their 401k’s and saving some cash can do that.

Last edited:
Are you actually disputing anything there? The craziest politicians (or serious candidates) on the left get called crazy because of the massive amounts of money they want to spend. The craziest politician (or serious candidate) on the right is that Qanon lady in GA who is a shoe-in for Congress who said the 9/11 pentagon plane was a hoax and that George Soros is a nazi.

Did you miss Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib and their anti-semitic rants?? These are “stars” of the Democrat party, not just some “possible” who hasn’t even been elected from Georgia, yet....

You’re telling me that a firefighter/teacher couple, making “combined” $150k, can’t put away $1mil in THIRTEEN years (cash/401k/401k match/etc.). Do you even LISTEN to yourself, or do you simply start reacting /typing/cut&paste in a frantic urge ro try to prove yourself right, and always get some kind of last word in?? Do you dispute basic math (plenty of folks who buckle down, put away $30-50k, plus 401k and 401k match)?? Historical stock market returns??

Putting $35k a year away starting at 22, for 13 years (at 10%), gives the magical $1mil at age 35. A couple simply maxing out their 401k’s can do that.

It's pretty clear you're not the one listening to yourself if you think the comparison you're making happens with any frequency on planet earth. You are quite clumsily attempting to say that anesthesiologists' income isn't that special or we have some undue burden by mistakenly stating that there are plenty of firefighter/teacher couples who are amassing some ridiculous net worth by having a high salary at age 22, saving that much by age 35, and then compounding it by a ludicrous amount for 30 years. There aren't. In fact only about 3% of the entire US population has a net worth of $1m excluding their primary residence, it takes most of them 28 years to amass that much, and the average age people hit the mark is 49..

Shall we look at the facts that you pretend to care about? You said “Here’s a news flash, guys. The fireman and teacher couple down the street are bringing in $150-$200k, these days.” That is patently false in the vast, vast majority of cases. The average fireman's salary is 40k. The average teacher's salary is 58k. They are not making 100k+ at age 22. This supposed power couple making 98k a year is also not putting away $35k a year. Even most couples with slightly higher earnings than 98k aren't putting away that much per year. They are not accumulating $1m by age 35. And they most certainly are not getting 10% annualized returns even if they were 100% in stocks since the historical average S&P CAGR in the modern era is 7%. Your entire premise that anesthesiologists should get similar treatment to firemen or to professionals who start working after undergrad is based on a fantasy notion of their income and their savings rate.

Did you miss Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib and their anti-semitic rants?? These are “stars” of the Democrat party, not just some “possible” who hasn’t even been elected from Georgia, yet....

They are certainly not the "stars," considering that Omar and Tlaib just had to face primary challengers. And I also wouldn't be surprised to learn you have no idea the full context of what they said but rather only whatever the fox news headlines told you to think.

Last edited:
  • Love
Oh, you mean like THESE guys???

And that is BEFORE any overtime, etc. Imagine making that, and starting work at the age of 22 (instead of 30) and not starting off $250-$500k in the hole, and being GUARANTEED retirement at 30 years, with PAID insurance and getting paid over $100k per year in retirement....

You wanna feel guilty for making $400k a year, after going into heavy debt, training until age 30, and pulling 60 hour weeks after that? OK.

I’m just saying that MAYBE $400k a year ain’t what it used to be, esp when Govt employees are getting six figure salaries and GUARANTEED retirements in their early 50’s.

The Feds (Medicare)think I’m worth about $96 an hour. The State (Medicaid)thinks I’m worth about $80. (Not including the case start points, that get diluted with slow surgeons). Mechanics charge more than that....

They want to tax my “wealth” that private insurance pays me AND they want me to work for 1/3 of the going rate, when taking care of “Govt” pts.

In my area, becoming a firefighter is probably as competitive as medical school. They study fire science, become paramedics and work as paramedics while applying year after year. It’s extraordinary rare for a 22yo to get that job. And most doctors are just physically incapable of doing that job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 317827

Mr. Trump’s appeal to the political fringe has now added a new and unpredictable element to German politics at a time when the domestic intelligence agency has identified far-right extremism and far-right terrorism as the biggest risks to German democracy.

The authorities have only recently woken up to a problem of far-right infiltration in the police and military. Over the past 15 months, far-right terrorists killed a regional politician on his front porch near the central city of Kassel, attacked a synagogue in the eastern city of Halle and shot dead nine people of immigrant descent in the western city of Hanau. Mr. Trump featured in the manifesto of the Hanau killer, who praised his “America First” policy.

Well, you can't say trump doesn't at least unite some people...

By your definition, what is "far right"? What is a far right extremist, in your view?

By your definition, what is "far right"? What is a far right extremist, in your view?

Political spectra have a degree of fluidity which makes them hard to precisely define over all geographies and time periods, but in general I see the very far right through the prism of Eco’s ur-fascism

347CE970-AC41-4767-BAA3-9C7F5EB266D9.jpeg

Now if you ask me what I personally think the most salient characteristics are, it would be the ultranationalism (particularly ethnonationalism), desire to control the media (information) and paint those who disagree as enemies of the people, shifting of blame re: economic woes by demonizing other countries or other people (particularly ethnic minorities), social conservatism, and the selective populism.

A far right extremist in my book is someone who is willing to use violence to achieve some of the goals outlined above.

Last edited:
You’re telling me that a firefighter/teacher couple, making “combined” $150k, can’t put away $1mil in THIRTEEN years (cash/401k/401k match/etc.). Do you even LISTEN to yourself, or do you simply start reacting /typing/cut&paste in a frantic urge to try to prove yourself right, and always get some kind of last word in?? Do you dispute basic math (plenty of folks who buckle down, put away $30-50k, plus 401k and 401k match)?? Historical stock market returns??

Putting $35k a year away starting at 22, for 13 years (at 10%), gives the magical $1mil at age 35. A couple simply maxing out their 401k’s and saving some cash can do that.
Here is the problem. Anesthesiologists can be earning by 30 (totally ignoring residency saving). They then have 5 years to put 1 away, which is doable even with debt, living at same quality of life as the fireman/teacher couple. Especially if the spouse works. Then they win.
There is no reason to try to make people feel bad for us.

Reactions: 2 users
Political spectra have a degree of fluidity which makes them hard to precisely define over all geographies and time periods, but in general I see the very far right through the prism of Eco’s ur-fascism

View attachment 317834

Now if you ask me what I personally think the most salient characteristics are, it would be the ultranationalism (particularly ethnonationalism), desire to control the media (information) and paint those who disagree as enemies of the people, shifting of blame re: economic woes by demonizing other countries or other people (particularly ethnic minorities), social conservatism, and the selective populism.

A far right extremist in my book is someone who is willing to use violence to achieve some of the goals outlined above.

Oooh, oooh.... Now do far-left (rioters, looters, Mao, Castro, Stalin, et al).....

Does “supporting Trump” qualify as “far-right extremist”?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Hence why I'm on the side that you're an idiot if you think anesthesiologists are in the same boat as most 9-5 people whose annual median household income is less than $60k a year.

P.S. I also know you know that wasn't bragging, but rather in relation to sending things of value (car titles) safely within the US mail, but thanks for being a super disingenuous ****head and taking that out of context.

Well well, this is interesting

I got my account locked for like a week or so cause I used a naughty word. I posted something along the lines of “if you think Trump said neonazis were ‘very fine people’ (even though he specifically denounced them like 3 seconds later) you were either disingenuous or an F-word idiot.”

Now, I have very rarely insulted anyone on here, and that wasn’t even a direct insult at anyone. Now Vector on the other hand, who must include an insult in almost every post, just drops a direct insult at someone with equally bad language.

So I get banned for a week with really no history of nasty insults. Vector insults more people personally than anyone here and says something equally crude...Let’s see if he gets banned too.

Mods?

Last edited:
Here is the problem. Anesthesiologists can be earning by 30 (totally ignoring residency saving). They then have 5 years to put 1 away, which is doable even with debt, living at same quality of life as the fireman/teacher couple. Especially if the spouse works. Then they win.
There is no reason to try to make people feel bad for us.

Yeah, but they start off further in debt (often $500k plus), have “delayed life” an additional 8 years, and may not really “catch up” until age 40-45.

Is that “wealthy”, or is that “upper middle class”, and then might still be taking call/working full load into their 50’s/60’s, when other jobs have already

I got my account locked for like a week or so cause I used a naughty word. I posted something along the lines of “if you think Trump said neonazis were ‘very fine people’ (even though he specifically denounced them like 3 seconds later) you were either disingenuous or an F-word idiot.”

Now, I have very rarely insulted anyone on here, and that wasn’t even a direct insult at anyone. Now Vector on the other hand, who must include an insult in almost every post, just drops a direct insult at someone with equally as bad language.

So I get banned for a week with really no history of nasty insults. Vector insults more people personally than anyone here and says something equally crude...Let’s see if he gets banned too.

Mods?

“Some animals are more “equal” than others....”

Shut up and pay your taxes “plebe”, and be happy when the Govt only demands half......:soexcited:

It's cracking me up that all the trolls who are now suuuuuuper concerned with politeness and decorum are unironically and unapologetically supporting this guy

AntiqueBigAardvark-small.gif

• Love
It's cracking me up that all the trolls who are now suuuuuuper concerned with politeness and decorum are unironically and unapologetically supporting this guy

View attachment 317839

Yea yea, everyone on the right is a troll. We know your tired spiel.

I couldn’t care less (on a personal level) about you using 4 letter words, but when I get my access to posting revoked for a week for one naughty word, it’s stands to reason that someone with a history of insults like you should get equal treatment for an equal offense.

We shall see.

Maybe it’s only Trump supporters who can get banned

View attachment 317839

Well, it’s an Internet Doctor’s forum, not a political rally, but..... “rules is hard”

“Trump did it!!!”

Oooh, oooh.... Now do Biden and his son, Hunter........

Now, I have very rarely insulted anyone on here, and that wasn’t even a direct insult at anyone. Now Vector on the other hand, who must include an insult in almost every post, just drops a direct insult at someone with equally bad language.

Mods?

Describing a comparison between 9-5ers and anesthesiologists, with regard to income, is different than describing Trump's feelings about neonates and how he described them. Regardless, it's easy enough for everyone debate without personal attacks.

On the issue of Charlottesville, there were few to no peaceful protestors on the far-right side aside from white nationalists. When Trump said there were 'very fine people' on both sides, he was tip-toeing around the fact that there were only extremists there on the far-right side. He did not want to alienate a part of his base. I'm okay if you refuse to see this, as you apparently do, but that was clearly his intent and how the majority of America saw it.

Well, it’s an Internet Doctor’s forum, not a political rally, but..... “rules is hard”

“Trump did it!!!”

Oooh, oooh.... Now do Biden and his son, Hunter........

Still waiting on your response regarding the nonsense you posted about firefighter/teacher couples down the street earning 150-200k. But I suspect it's easier to change the subject and gaslight rather than address the facts of how much they or other professions really make it save right out of college.

I couldn’t care less (on a personal level) about you using 4 letter words, but when I get my access to posting revoked for a week for one naughty word, it’s stands to reason that someone with a history of insults like you should get equal treatment for an equal offense.

We shall see.

equal treatment for equal offense? Much of this thread is about the lack of character and disgusting personal attacks from OUR PRESIDENT. And YOU refuse to hold him accountable. YOU will cast a vote for him.

You, a little earlier, defended him in The Atlantic article which referenced his feelings and opinions about our military personnel, particularly those who've been captured and/or injured in the line of duty. TRUMP IS ON RECORD calling John McCain, a clear Patriot and military hero, a loser, in part because he was a captured POW. And yet you find it even a little surprising that he would extend such views to ALL military?

This is ONLY a point of debate because Republicans have dressed themselves in the flag and claimed to be the party of the military over the past couple decades. Trump has TRIED to continue this, but only because he depends on those votes, but his words and actions have clearly painted a different picture.

#bonespurs

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on your response regarding the nonsense you posted about firefighter/teacher couples down the street earning 150-200k. But I suspect it's easier to change the subject and gaslight rather than address the facts of how much they or other professions really make it save right out of college.

So a teacher and a fireman can’t make $100-$150k, combined??? (When did I say $200k???) What is this, 1965??? Come on, man....

Great, but my point was, even at $150k, they can accumulate enough to live on par with a “wealthy” doctor, and don’t have to incur the debt and years of education/residency to do it. (Not to mention, the “cadillac” Insurance plans they both likely get). Prove my numbers wrong.

I don’t need to mince every detail, I’m merely pointing out that a “middle class” couple that makes almost half of what an anesthesiologist makes, with a 8-10 year head start, can live a similar lifestyle and have a similar retirement.

So, does that make an anesthesiologist “wealthy”, or “upper middle class”??

Last edited:
Describing a comparison between 9-5ers and anesthesiologists, with regard to income, is different than describing Trump's feelings about neonates and how he described them. Regardless, it's easy enough for everyone debate without personal attacks.

On the issue of Charlottesville, there were few to no peaceful protestors on the far-right side aside from white nationalists. When Trump said there were 'very fine people' on both sides, he was tip-toeing around the fact that there were only extremists there on the far-right side. He did not want to alienate a part of his base. I'm okay if you refuse to see this, as you apparently do, but that was clearly his intent and how the majority of America saw it.

So the context of the post in which an insult is made to someone matters in regards to being banned? Because I said a bad word in a post defending Trump and Vec did it in a post about income they should be treated differently? Is that what you’re saying?

In regards to Charlottesville...

So pretty much all the protesters there on the right were white supremacists with VERY FEW peaceful protesters, but in Portland, where they are burning the city and destroying property and causing violence on a nightly basis they are MAINLY peaceful protesters with just a few bad riotous apples? Gotcha

On a side note, I didn’t know Trump had many thoughts on the NICU...

Great, but my point was, even at $150k, they can accumulate enough to live on par with a “wealthy” doctor, and don’t have to incur the debt and years of education/residency to do it. Prove my numbers wrong.

Already proved your numbers wrong with average salary figures for firemen (~40k) and teachers (58k) that a 5 yr old could google. Not to mention the average is probably higher than what the 22yo makes starting out. But facts don't matter to trolls so it's kinda pointless to belabor the issue with you.

equal treatment for equal offense? Much of this thread is about the lack of character and disgusting personal attacks from OUR PRESIDENT. And YOU refuse to hold him accountable. YOU will cast a vote for him.

You, a little earlier, defended him in The Atlantic article which referenced his feelings and opinions about our military personnel, particularly those who've been captured and/or injured in the line of duty. TRUMP IS ON RECORD calling John McCain, a clear Patriot and military hero, a loser, in part because he was a captured POW. And yet you find it even a little surprising that he would extend such views to ALL military?

This is ONLY a point of debate because Republicans have dressed themselves in the flag and claimed to be the party of the military over the past couple decades. Trump has TRIED to continue this, but only because he depends on those votes, but his words and actions have clearly painted a different picture.

#bonespurs

Spiral much???

You start by questioning an equal treatment for equal offense (which was in regard to swear words) and you immediately pivot to ranting about Trump and McCain?

And all I said about the Atlantic article is that I get just a bit skeptical when a leftist news org posts anonymous comments about someone they despise. I know you take it as gospel cause orange man bad, but let’s simmer down.

Already proved your numbers wrong with average salary figures for firemen (~40k) and teachers (58k) that a 5 yr old could google. Not to mention the average is probably higher than what the 22yo makes starting out. But facts don't matter to trolls so it's kinda pointless to belabor the issue with you.

Yeah, so you believe this, too??? Says we’re all making $260-$280k...

So the context of the post in which an insult is made to someone matters in regards to being banned? Because I said a bad word in a post defending Trump and Vec did it in a post about income they should be treated differently? Is that what you’re saying?

In regards to Charlottesville...

So pretty much all the protesters there on the right were white supremacists with VERY FEW peaceful protesters, but in Portland, where they are burning the city and destroying property and causing violence on a nightly basis they are MAINLY peaceful protesters with just a few bad riotous apples? Gotcha

On a side note, I didn’t know Trump had many thoughts on the NICU...

Ive not commented on Portland other than to say that the city and the state should’ve been allowed to handle it. Funny, that used to be a CORNERSTONE of YOUR party.

The Charlottesville rally was called ‘Unite the Right’. Angry, hateful white guys with torches met on a famed college campus and chanted chants associated with Nazi-ism and white nationalism. Feel free to google.

There were few to ZERO peaceful protestors supporting the racist, white nationalist guys (some armed....) but plenty out in support AGAINST THEM. So when PUSA says ‘very fine people’ on both sides his message was clear.

There has been no ‘very fine people’ comment from Trump about Portland. I’ll let you figure out why.

Spiral much???

You start by questioning an equal treatment for equal offense (which was in regard to swear words) and you immediately pivot to ranting about Trump and McCain?

And all I said about the Atlantic article is that I get just a bit skeptical when a leftist news org posts anonymous comments about someone they despise. I know you take it as gospel cause orange man bad, let’s simmer down.

They don’t want to discuss. They want to hurl personal insults, call you racist/troll/homophobe/gaslighter/et al, or associate you with them, and if that doesn’t work, throw in a Trump insult or two.

Ive not commented on Portland other than to say that the city and the state should’ve been allowed to handle it. Funny, that used to be a CORNERSTONE of YOUR party.

The Charlottesville rally was called ‘Unite the Right’. Angry, hateful white guys with torches met on a famed college campus and chanted chants associated with Nazi-ism and white nationalism. Feel free to google.

There were few to ZERO peaceful protestors supporting the racist, white nationalist guys (some armed....) but plenty out in support AGAINST THEM. So when PUSA says ‘very fine people’ on both sides his message was clear.

There has been no ‘very fine people’ comment from Trump about Portland. I’ll let you figure out why.

I don't remember those Alt Right guys causing violence en masse the way Antifa is currently. I think there were some scuffles but as you say there were many counter protesters in Charlottesville. The far left seems to feel that their own ideology justifies violence.

When is the last time you saw legions of "far right" extremists trying to burn down cities and loot and destroy property the way Antifa and other leftist thugs are doing in so many of our cities right now?

I don't remember those Alt Right guys causing violence en masse the way Antifa is currently. I think there were some scuffles but as you say there were many counter protesters in Charlottesville. The far left seems to feel that their own ideology justifies violence.

Portland - violence shouldn’t be condoned. Violent Antifa/BLM should be removed and disbanded. It is a city/state issue.

WI - one of the far right, ardent Trump supporters (per his Facebook) illegally brought an AR-15 to ‘defend’ property that wasn’t his and ended up killing 2 and injuring others.

Charlottesville - one of the ardent far right white nationalists who supported Trump (per his Facebook page) drove a car into a crowd of peaceful protestors killing one and injuring others.

I won’t comment on the mindset of the far left. I have no clue. I certainly don’t support or think as they do.

I don't think this is an accurate statement. That's like saying all Antifa support the Democrats.

Trump has given rise and power to the far right (those left behind....) white nationalist movement that had quieted over the past couple decades. They certainly support him.

I doubt much of antifa will vote for Biden, though honestly I have no idea. Biden has made it clear, publically, he doesn’t support violent protests or violent protestors.

Reactions: 2 users

We shall see.

If you have any issue with any administrative action please PM me rather than shouting it out loud everywhere. I do my best to keep things civil and mete to "punishment" evenly based on complaints received and other factors. It certainly doesn't help anyone's case when there is zero clinical discussion but instead just an axe to grind. Not you specifically, but everyone. I know we have exhausted all possible clinical topics over the years but we are almost there when it comes to politics. If anyone wants to argue politics and just gets so bent out of shape that you can't have a rational discussion, or insulting others or melting down over another internet argument maybe you need to find another place to do it. That's all.

Edit - oops, posted before I read to the end of the thread and saw the lock. Trainwreck indeed my apologies. :)

As I said in my post, 3rd party/swing voters being or not being the deciders of just the election result is beside the point. Like it or not, symbols matter- and there is great symbolic value in a candidate losing in a bonafide popular vote (and EC) landslide. If trump loses 48-46-6, then trump and the rest of history can just chalk that up to bad luck vis a vis corona. trump losing 60-40 is definitive evidence of repudiation, and I think that repudiation is important in establishing what our shared American values are going forward.

I agree that protests have value, but where we disagree is about which protest has priority at this time in our history. If it's 2012 and you decide to vote third party because Obama is a status quo neoliberal and Romney is a status quo Bill Buckley conservative then whatever. Big deal. Who cares. The status quo typically does not pose existential threats to our institutions. But if you vote third party this year, what does it say? It says that you think trump is just the same old, same old status quo Republican politician as always and that your single issue concerns are more important. But in my opinion, anyone who thinks trump is part of the same old group of status quo politicians who push their agenda hard but do so within the bounds of established norms, rules, and laws should have his head examined.

Ultimately, what is your third party vote about? Primarily 2A, civil rights, and small government, right? Enforcement and strengthening of 2A doesn't just exist in a vacuum. It exists within a framework where we respect the Constitution, respect checks and balances, respect Congress's power of the subpoena, respect the independence of the judiciary, respect the independence of the Attorney General, DOJ, and FBI, respect the tradition of having Senate-confirmed executive positions instead of "actings" so your subordinates have accountability, respect conflicts of interest and financial separation, respect the Hatch Act, and respect the FEC chair when he says "It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election."

At every step of the way trump undermines this framework while also subverting the rule of law, so for me, it begs the question when I hear people are going to vote trump or vote third party: Why on earth should I care about the issue you care about, when either explicitly or implicitly, you don't seem to care about the undermining of the framework that makes your issue enforceable?

That's well said and articulate as usual.

Though I don't really accept at face value your assertion that your protest (a bigger popular vote win in the face of an EC loss) is more important than my protest (refusing to vote for a terrible candidate despite how stupendously awfully terrible the other candidate is).

There are some echoes here of some previous disagreements in this thread about how people taking to the street in a non-socially-distanced way to protest police brutality was a "good gathering" but Trump supporters going to a rally to help him get re-elected to promote the issues they care about was a "bad gathering". Point being - a protest isn't much of a protest if it's not upsetting someone on the other side.

If my 3rd party vote upsets you, it's working as a protest. :)

The other catch is that conservatives have not ever, do not currently, and can't really foresee a future when Democrats even pretend to care about the issues they care about. Take your pick on abortion, 2A, immigration, religious "freedom", reparations, or any of the other top 5-10 issues ... they don't pretend to care and they don't actually care, not enough to make genuine compromises, anyway. At least, where "compromise" is actual compromise, rather than the the progressive cake-eating phenomenon where every year the Democrats "compromise" by taking a little more, then a little more, then a little more, and then cry "why won't you compromise" when there's pushback.

You can argue that Republicans aren't much for compromise these days either, but I'd just point out that they've been ceding ground continuously for decades on all of those issues. You might characterize it as hard-won progress against terrible stodgy old prejudices, but the undeniable truth is that what's acceptable to Republicans today is different than what was acceptable to Republicans 10 or 20 years ago. That's actual compromise.

Anyway, you're right in that my 3rd party vote is primarily about civil rights (of which the 2A is just one) and non-intrusive government. I probably shouldn't say I'm for "small" government, as what I really want is effective government (as big as it needs to be) that leaves its citizens alone while still doing the tragedy-of-the-commons type things only government can do and dissuading predatory abusive harmful behavior via worthy agencies like the FDA, NTSB, CDC, OSHA, etc. Bonus points to abolish predatory abusive harmful agencies like the DEA and ATF. I'm a libertarian but acknowledge that the pure libertarian Ayn Rand fantasy is an ugly unworkable dystopia.

Bottom line, neither the current Republican or Democrat parties or their candidates fit that bill, and I don't feel any kind of moral obligation to support either one. If the Democrats want me to vote for their candidate, maybe the motivation they need to nominate one I can get behind is another 4 years of Trump.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.