The Ultimate 2020 Election / Politics / General News Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It appears to me the Dems win control of the Senate by 1 seat. This is due to the 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats. My prediction is 51-49 for the Democrats.

Members don't see this ad.

It appears to me the Dems win control of the Senate by 1 seat. This is due to the 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats. My prediction is 51-49 for the Democrats.

It will be close and this prediction may not be far off. If it does land this way, it will be interesting to see what bills pass as a number of folks on both sides have moderate leanings.

Members don't see this ad :)
you must work par
How will what you’re saying cost doctors 5-10k a month? I don’t even make 10k a month (net) from my regular job, so you’re saying that my income is going to go to zero if Biden is elected? That doesn’t seem to make sense.

But in general I’m ok with higher taxes for more benefits for society. When people are healthier, more educated, have roads to drive on, etc then we all benefit. I can’t say what my threshold would be though. However if I didn’t have to pay $400 a month for health insurance and instead it’s a tax on my salary and means more people are actually covered/have access then I’m ok with that. That’s just an example.

My state has a family leave act that is paid for by taxes. I’m happy to pay that tax even though I don’t have children. People who don’t lose their job due to having to take care of family benefits society as a whole.

I understand this is a fundamental difference for people.
You must work less than part time then, or for a large salaried AMC that’s ripping you off.

My adjustment in income is based on average full time anesthesia income minus my private practice losing 7 percent of my productive income due to the corporate tax increase, and the 2 percent federal Tax increase. 7 plus 2 equals 9 percent. Then there is loss of income due to Biden’s plan to eliminate the cap on social security tax (7.65 percent, or 15 percent of your practice charges that to partners). Also, this includes loss of pre tax 401k deduction that lowers your taxable income considerably (how do you penalize someone for saving for retirement?- typical left leaning repressive agenda. Say ‘Bye’ to the middle class). That all adds up to about 50-100k in additional taxes to be then squandered away by the government. Ie no return on my investment.

Your comment on the FICA taxes are correct as Biden does want to raise your taxes. Biden will likely increase the brackets and the top bracket along with a new FICA for those making more than $400,000.

“He would: push the corporate tax rate up from 21 to 28 percent; apply the combined employer-employee Social Security payroll tax rate of 12.4 percent to all earnings above $400,000 annually; increase the top income tax rate to 39.6 percent immediately, up from 37.0 percent today; tax capital gains as ordinary income; phase out passthrough business income deductions for households with total incomes over $400,000 annually; impose new taxes on pharmaceutical manufacturers, banks, and real estate companies; and impose many other smaller tax hike provisions.”

1599504088467.png

you must work par

You must work less than part time then, or for a large salaried AMC that’s ripping you off.

My adjustment in income is based on average full time anesthesia income minus my private practice losing 7 percent of my productive income due to the corporate tax increase, and the 2 percent federal Tax increase. 7 plus 2 equals 9 percent. Then there is loss of income due to Biden’s plan to eliminate the cap on social security tax (7.65 percent, or 15 percent of your practice charges that to partners). Also, this includes loss of pre tax 401k deduction that lowers your taxable income considerably (how do you penalize someone for saving for retirement?- typical left leaning repressive agenda. Say ‘Bye’ to the middle class). That all adds up to about 50-100k in additional taxes to be then squandered away by the government. Ie no return on my investment.

No I don’t work part time. I’m not sure what AMC is. I’m not an anesthesiologist. I’m not getting ripped off. Ok got it. Thanks for clarifying that your information is based on your salary and not just general doctor’s salaries like your original post said. I wasn’t sure where you were getting your number of 5-10k (or 50-100k) from since not all doctors make the same salary.

Like I said I’m ok with higher taxes in general if they benefit society as a whole. I’m not a fan of tax cuts that essentially only benefit the rich and businesses.

In general trump’s tax cuts didn’t benefit me or most Americans. In general it benefitted businesses and people earning over 200k. I don’t agree with that. I will earn over 200k this year from my full time and per-diem job, but that’s still not my number one concern to make me vote for trump. So outside of trump being a long string of negative adjectives, I also disagree with his tax policies among other policies.

A fundamental difference that people will just have to agree to disagree on.

If America can get by with cut rate anesthesia, then so be it. We will all go do something else. We’re smart people. And med students can figure out another field to enter. I don’t think America should ‘vote for Trump’ (which won’t achieve the desired result anyway) to prop up a broken health system for another few years. That’s stupid.

I spent the weekend in the rural SE. Lots of confederate flags and Trump/Pence signs in areas of the country with high poverty, no jobs, poor whites, and no Medicaid expansion (Republican governors....). My thoughts? These people must be racist, because they sure aren’t smart.

Missouri just voted for Medicaid expansion. Yes it makes no sense when people vote against their own interests. The current administration wants to cut some of the good parts of the ACA and funding for Medicaid and Medicare. Crazy. I mean even most people (about 61%) say abortion should be legal. There are plenty of "pro-life" people, including Christians and Catholics who have abortions. So yeah voting against your own interests certainly happens. But yes I certainly agree that racism is a part of it. Remember the Mexicans are bringing their thugs and rapists and we shouldn’t care about the people in those sh***hole countries in Africa.

Reactions: 1 users
No I don’t work part time. I’m not sure what AMC is. I’m not an anesthesiologist. I’m not getting ripped off. Ok got it. Thanks for clarifying that your information is based on your salary and not just general doctor’s salaries like your original post said. I wasn’t sure where you were getting your number of 5-10k (or 50-100k) from since not all doctors make the same salary.

Like I said I’m ok with higher taxes in general if they benefit society as a whole. I’m not a fan of tax cuts that essentially only benefit the rich and businesses.

In general trump’s tax cuts didn’t benefit me or most Americans. In general it benefitted businesses and people earning over 200k. I don’t agree with that. I will earn over 200k this year from my full time and per-diem job, but that’s still not my number one concern to make me vote for trump. So outside of trump being a long string of negative adjectives, I also disagree with his tax policies among other policies.

A fundamental difference that people will just have to agree to disagree on.
You are not making over 200k/yr as a doc!

With all due respect, you have no clue what you’re talking about. Let me help you out a bit using your points posted earlier. Biden’s tax plan can be found here: Joe Biden’s 2020 Tax Plan

- eliminate pretax 401k deductions (remember social security will be bankrupt in 5-10 years)

The deductions won’t be entirely eliminated, but replaced with a 26% refundable tax credit. Yes, this will negatively impact us. The net effect for someone in the highest 37% tax bracket would be 11% (or $6,250 per year assuming a $57,000 maximum contribution). The idea is that higher income earners already benefit more from these contributions, so this is just a way to level it out for someone earning less than $100k per year.

- increase corporate tax from 21 to 28 percent (deeply hurts those doctors who are a part of private practices)

I have yet to come across a private practice that is a C corporation and pays corporate income tax. There is a reason for this and it’s in order to avoid double taxation. Most true private practices are structured as partnerships or pass-through entities and pay personal income tax rates, so I’m confused why you’re so hung up on the proposed increase in corporate income tax rates.

- eliminate 137k max income on social security tax

The 12.4% social security tax would only apply to income over $400k. So there is a gap between $137k and $400k where you would not need to pay it. As with the 401k deduction, this will negatively impact us, but not to the extent that you are making it out to be.

- increase tax by 2-3 % for those earning over 400k (which by the way is very middle class when you have to pay massive student loans back to Uncle Sam)

The highest tax bracket will increase to 39.6%, and again, it would only apply to income over $400k. I guess we will just have to disagree on what is considered middle class, but a 2.6% increase at that earning level shouldn’t have any significant impact on most of those affected.

- all this taxation will cost docs anywhere from 5-10k a month at least

So let’s take the above factual information that I have provided and say our average physician makes $500k per year. Biden’s proposed tax plan would increase their tax burden by $21,250 each year or $1,770 per month ($6,250 from loss of 401k deduction, $2,600 in increased tax on income over $400k, and $12,400 in added social security tax on income over $400k). Nowhere near the numbers you’re tossing out there.

And this isn’t even taking into account other vehicles to lower taxable income, such as cash balance plans, or the fact that this entire tax plan is only a proposal and still needs to pass through the legislative process where it will surely be watered down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here’s a news flash, guys. The fireman and teacher couple down the street are bringing in $150-$200k, these days.

$400k a year isn’t “rich”. Upper middle class? Sure...

You wanna pay 40% tax on everything over $400k in 10 years (which isn’t gonna seem like much after 15-20 years of AMC imposed wage stagnation, that SHOULD be $600k). PLUS, you get to pay payroll tax on it (6-12%), in addition?? PLUS, you watch your capital gains on your invested money DOUBLE from 20% to 40%??

You guys can keep working for “the man” all you want, but don’t expect to see some of us putting in extra hours, just to turn around and give over half of it back to the Govt.

320 million folks is a lot of mouths to feed (and insure, and educate, and house). That “free stuff” wagon isn’t gonna pull itself, especially when the folks who’ve been pulling it don’t have a carrot to chase after, anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s a news flash, guys. The fireman and teacher couple down the street are bringing in $150-$200k, these days.

$400k a year isn’t “rich”. Upper middle class? Sure...

You wanna pay 40% tax on everything over $400k in 10 years (which isn’t gonna seem like much after 15-20 years of AMC imposed wage stagnation, that SHOULD be $600k). PLUS, you get to pay payroll tax on it (6-12%), in addition?? PLUS, you watch your capital gains on your invested money DOUBLE from 20% to 40%??

You guys can keep working for “the man” all you want, but don’t expect to see some of us putting in extra hours, just to turn around and give over half of it back to the Govt.

320 million folks is a lot of mouths to feed (and insure, and educate, and house). That “free stuff” wagon isn’t gonna pull itself, especially when the folks who’ve been pulling it don’t have a carrot to chase after, anymore.

You really think 400k/yr (top 1%) just put one in the upper middle class! You are not wealthy, but I think you are rich.

At what income do you consider someone rich? 500k+/yr... 1+ mil/yr

So he wants to end tax breaks for the rich. Sounds good to me.

Is that all you see is in his plan? His tax increases won't affect you? What about the economy, jobs, GDP? I doubt you get a single benefit out all of those higher taxes and most of that increased spending goes to Biden's cronies. Trillions more in taxes which will be used for more government spending on liberal projects while the deficit balloons to unsustainable levels. How is that any more responsible governing than the past 4 years with Trump?

Reactions: 1 user
Is that all you see is in his plan? His tax increases won't affect you? What about the economy, jobs, GDP? I doubt you get a single benefit out all of those higher taxes and most of that increased spending goes to Biden's cronies. Trillions more in taxes which will be used for more government spending on liberal projects while the deficit balloons to unsustainable levels. How is that any more responsible governing than the past 4 years with Trump?

Our current tax system benefits the ultra wealthy. Regardless of their effects on my personal situation, those changes make the system more fair in my opinion. I’ve previously weighed in on the desirability of perpetual GDP growth.

Our current tax system benefits the ultra wealthy. Regardless of their effects on my personal situation, those changes make the system more fair in my opinion.

The lessons from other nations, like Sweden, are clear that the government can only do so much, spend so much until the system itself begins to fail. The engine of prosperity is capitalism, even the Chinese have figured that much out. Yes, you can tap into the GDP of a nation and take a portion of people's wealth/prosperity and redistribute it up to a point. But, that spending can only go so far until the debt and taxes reach a breaking point. I predict we see that breaking point in the next 1-2 decades. The drunken sailor will have a huge hangover the next morning. The economy will suffer, GDP will be lower and the U.S, dollar will purchase a lot less.

Biden will need to tax the upper middle class to pay for even a fraction of his proposed spending bills. Your taxes, not just the rich, are going to go way up.

How will the November election affect things? If Trump wins, he will continue to deregulate and cut taxes to stimulate economic growth. Trump is very much like Reagan on economic growth. If Biden wins, there will be increased regulation, higher taxation, and an increase in social programs. As government expands, it will require even more revenue and taxes will be the vehicle. However, with an already burgeoning debt, which is expected to grow substantially in the coming years, additional debt will create systemic problems which, at some point, may be impossible to escape.

America is at a crossroad. If the national debt rises as projected ($45 trillion in 2024 and $78 trillion in 2028), Americans will feel the pain as labor markets tighten, the gap between the top 10% and the bottom 50% widens, and social unrest grows.

To quote Ronald Reagan, “There is a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts.”

You really think 400k/yr (top 1%) just put one in the upper middle class! You are not wealthy, but I think you are rich.

Docs will commonly brush up against the top 1% in income for a few years.

In terms of household wealth, few docs ever get to the top 1%.

Rich people don't have to wake up in the morning and go to work. It's not their workaday paycheck income that makes people rich (even if that income is profit from a business they own). The rich are defined by and can by identified by their assets and the fact that they don't work. At all.

Rich people chuckle at perspective-deficient people who throw the word "rich" around when speaking of the working upper middle class.

Reactions: 7 users

“Income” and “wealth” are two different things. I can drive all over the countryside, and see folks whose “income” is $50-$100k a year, but own or live on $5-$10 million ranches/farms. That is the case in rural communities all over this nation.

Do the math on how long it takes a “rich” doctor, making $400k a year, after taxes/college tuition for kids/their own school loans, to pay $1.5-$2 million for a home (the going rate for a 3000-4000 sq ft home in many nice areas these days). Especially, when a doctor doesn’t start showing any real “profit” until they hit their early 30’s (college/med school/lower paying residency).

Sorry, this isn’t 1985. $400k is not “rich”. That would have been 8-10 times a cop/teacher/nurse back then. It might be 4-5x that, now (and they might likely have a govt funded retirement program). “Well-to-do”? Sure. But don’t compare us to a pro athlete or investment banker, etc. If all I’m able to accomplish is to gather up enough money to buy fancier cars or a few extra toys (do a land search on Landsofamerica for ranches over $5 million, there’s tons of them, and docs making $400k a year aren’t buying them), then don’t talk to me like I’m jetting off to Monte Carlo every month.

Most of the Docs on this board finish residency at age 29-30, and enter their 30’s being $250-$500k in the hole (and that’s BEFORE getting a $250-$500k “starter home”, and 5-10 years behind everyone else (cops/nurses/teachers/etc) on retirement contributions. You’re in a “million dollar hole” before you even get started.

Pardon me, while I order some more champagne and caviar...

You are not making over 200k/yr as a doc!

Nope! Right below it. Welcome to primary care in a hcol :) I do work only 4 days a week though, but it’s considered full time. Not at an fqhc, but at a similar "under resourced" type place. The vibe is chill and I love my job and love where I live. Plus my per-diem work adds nicely to my salary. So overall it’s a win-win. But yeah in my area for my type of job salary is right around 200k, shrug.

Well, 500k home is not a starter home where I am...

I can basically semi retire or retire in 10 yrs if I make 400k/yr... 90% of Americans can't do that.

The most interesting thing about this article is the disparity between the mean and median wealth of white households. While the mean net worth of white households is a respectable $930,000, the median is only $171,000. It demonstrates that even among whites, the bulk of wealth is concentrated at the top.

“Income” and “wealth” are two different things. I can drive all over the countryside, and see folks whose “income” is $50-$100k a year, but own or live on $5-$10 million ranches/farms. That is the case in rural communities all over this nation.

Do the math on how long it takes a “rich” doctor, making $400k a year, after taxes/college tuition for kids/their own school loans, to pay $1.5-$2 million for a home (the going rate for a 3000-4000 sq ft home in many nice areas these days). Especially, when a doctor doesn’t start showing any real “profit” until they hit their early 30’s (college/med school/lower paying residency).

Sorry, this isn’t 1985. $400k is not “rich”. That would have been 8-10 times a cop/teacher/nurse back then. It might be 4-5x that, now (and they might likely have a govt funded retirement program). “Well-to-do”? Sure. But don’t compare us to a pro athlete or investment banker, etc. If all I’m able to accomplish is to gather up enough money to buy fancier cars or a few extra toys (do a land search on Landsofamerica for ranches over $5 million, there’s tons of them, and docs making $400k a year aren’t buying them), then don’t talk to me like I’m jetting off to Monte Carlo every month.

Most of the Docs on this board finish residency at age 29-30, and enter their 30’s being $250-$500k in the hole (and that’s BEFORE getting a $250-$500k “starter home”, and 5-10 years behind everyone else (cops/nurses/teachers/etc) on retirement contributions. You’re in a “million dollar hole” before you even get started.

Pardon me, while I order some more champagne and caviar...

You can not be serious! The whole country do not live in Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles or Manhattan...

You can get an 3000 sqft in south FL for 500-600k... which is considered middle ground in term of high COL vs low COL

I hate to say that... It seems like a lot of us docs are out of touch. ~70% of Americans can not save themselves from a 2k unexpected expense.

You will bring home 20-22k/month on a 400k/yr salary... That is a lot of money if you ask me!

You can not be serious! The whole country do not live in Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles or Manhattan...

You can get an 3000 sqft in south FL for 500-600k... which is considered middle ground in term of high COL vs low COL

I hate to say that... It seems like a lot of us docs are out of touch. ~70% of Americans can not save themselves from a 2k unexpected expense.

You will bring home 20-22k/month on a 400k/yr salary... That is a lot of money if you ask me!

“Upper middle class” can qualify as “a lot of money”, but is it “wealthy”??

Fully fund a 401k, make a $3–$5k a month house payment, pay off $250-$500k in school loans, save $100-$200k for each of your children’s college funds, spend $1500-$2k a month on car payments/insurance for you and your spouse ($40-$50k cars), then tell me if you are “wealthy”, or “well to do”???? There’s a difference.

Gotta go, the Lambo dealer is calling....

The most interesting thing about this article is the disparity between the mean and median wealth of white households. While the mean net worth of white households is a respectable $930,000, the median is only $171,000. It demonstrates that even among whites, the bulk of wealth is concentrated at the top.

Yep.
And it shows how out of touch people are around here.
The wealth income gap isn’t just because we’re lazy. There is history and systems that put us far behind, but people continue to fail to recognize that.
The article points out some of those policy for those that want to learn something.
I don’t think democratic tax policies are the reason that the wealth gap is so large.

"For those in the top 10 percent by income (only 3.6 percent Black), the racial wealth gap is still quite large: median net worth for white families in this income group is $1,789,300 versus $343,160 for Black families."

Wealth is not taxed in the US- Income is. But the masses definitely perceive those with $458k in income to be wealthy relative to their income. In the future, it will no longer be a matter of what handsomely paid physicians believe they are worth- it will be what the those that control the purse strings believe they want to pay in order to make healthcare affordable. My sense is that anesthesiologists in the long run, will be replaced with non-anesthesiologists that command only a fraction of what anesthesiologists make. There will probably be fewer PCPs, OBs, and specialists in many areas since 95% of their function are already being performed by non-physicians at a lower cost. It will be a gradual but steady change over the next two decades.

“Upper middle class” can qualify as “a lot of money”, but is it “wealthy”??

Fully fund a 401k, make a $3–$5k a month house payment, pay off $250-$500k in school loans, save $100-$200k for each of your children’s college funds, spend $1500-$2k a month on car payments/insurance for you and your spouse ($40-$50k cars), then tell me if you are “wealthy”, or “well to do”???? There’s a difference.

Gotta go, the Lambo dealer is calling....

This is a luxury... Most people can't save 200k for their kids college fund. My undergrad cost me nothing. 2-yr at CC and 3 yrs at a state university while working FT...

We are seeing a far left that I'm not sure we've seen maybe ever in the U.S.? However, if you look objectively at Europe in the 20's and 30's, we see many examples. The critical theorists seem to have conquered the upper echelon of major institutions including higher education and media/entertainment. This has been in the making for several decades.

Even on this very board, one recent poster claimed that the U.S. in current form deserves to be torn down. Maybe those were just words, but we are seeing that thousands are currently attempting to do just that. These street thugs have the tacit support of Democrat leadership at least in so far as they seem wholly unwilling to forcefully denounce what is happening across many of our cities.

Western civilization seems to be under attack at every crossroad. This is where critical theory really shines. But, needless to say you will need to replace it with something better if you intend to tear it all down.

In a sense the way things are appearing at least to me, we have seen these struggles from the far left and the far right, both likely further polarizing the other, before. What I think is different today is that the adherents to critical race theory and similar ideology will never be able to change my mind any more than I would be likely to change theirs. And both sides seem to be ready and increasingly willing to dig in.

The far right (no more defined than the far left) has not really entered the fray in any meaningful way to this point. I hope things can settle down but the groups causing the most destruction current day are largely far left, and I'm not seeing any end to their zealotry. Critical theory has infected a huge number of people in the US. For others, there is a natural aversion to such rhetoric, and I suspect this isn't very malleable one way or the other.

I personally feel that this "cultural" divide is more important/pressing than taxes but I can't see easy solutions.

This is a luxury... Most people can't save 200k for their kids college fund. My undergrad cost me nothing. 2-yr at CC and 3 yrs at a state university while working FT...

Yep. Median total net worth for white households is $171000. This includes home equity. For black families, it is $17000. They’re not saving $200k for their kids‘ college.

Despite all the tropes about being self-made, most wealthy people were born lucky.

“This history matters for contemporary inequality in part because its legacy is passed down generation-to-generation through unequal monetary inheritances which make up a great deal of current wealth. In 2020 Americans are projected to inherit about $765 billion in gifts and bequests, excluding wealth transfers to spouses and transfers that support minor children. Inheritances account for roughly 4 percent of annual household income, much of which goes untaxed by the U.S. government.“

Last edited:
Yep. Median total net worth for white households is $171000. This includes home equity. For black families, it is $17000. They’re not saving $200k for their kids‘ college.

Despite all the tropes about being self-made, most wealthy people were born lucky.

“This history matters for contemporary inequality in part because its legacy is passed down generation-to-generation through unequal monetary inheritances which make up a great deal of current wealth. In 2020 Americans are projected to inherit about $765 billion in gifts and bequests, excluding wealth transfers to spouses and transfers that support minor children. Inheritances account for roughly 4 percent of annual household income, much of which goes untaxed by the U.S. government.“

How DARE those folks save something and give it to their kids. The Govt ought to be taking, er, taxing, that, and giving it to someone in exchange for a vote, or spending it on a foreign war, somewhere. Better yet, lets “loan” it to kids so they can go to university, where their professors are slaving away, teaching 2 classes a week, to make $150k, teaching kids about “income inequality”...

Last edited:

All success is some combination of talent, hard work and luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Regarding 3rd party votes hurting America -

A 3rd party vote outside a swing state doesn't hurt either Biden or Trump.

A 3rd party vote is a protest. Protests have value.

A 3rd party vote for president doesn't mean one can't cast other meaningful votes on the same ballot for federal, state, and local candidates.

I won't vote for either Trump/Pence or Biden/Harris for all of these reasons. If I was a voter in PA or even FL then I might reconsider. At this point my grandest hope for the election is that opposite parties control the Senate and presidency.

As I said in my post, 3rd party/swing voters being or not being the deciders of just the election result is beside the point. Like it or not, symbols matter- and there is great symbolic value in a candidate losing in a bonafide popular vote (and EC) landslide. If trump loses 48-46-6, then trump and the rest of history can just chalk that up to bad luck vis a vis corona. trump losing 60-40 is definitive evidence of repudiation, and I think that repudiation is important in establishing what our shared American values are going forward.

I agree that protests have value, but where we disagree is about which protest has priority at this time in our history. If it's 2012 and you decide to vote third party because Obama is a status quo neoliberal and Romney is a status quo Bill Buckley conservative then whatever. Big deal. Who cares. The status quo typically does not pose existential threats to our institutions. But if you vote third party this year, what does it say? It says that you think trump is just the same old, same old status quo Republican politician as always and that your single issue concerns are more important. But in my opinion, anyone who thinks trump is part of the same old group of status quo politicians who push their agenda hard but do so within the bounds of established norms, rules, and laws should have his head examined.

Ultimately, what is your third party vote about? Primarily 2A, civil rights, and small government, right? Enforcement and strengthening of 2A doesn't just exist in a vacuum. It exists within a framework where we respect the Constitution, respect checks and balances, respect Congress's power of the subpoena, respect the independence of the judiciary, respect the independence of the Attorney General, DOJ, and FBI, respect the tradition of having Senate-confirmed executive positions instead of "actings" so your subordinates have accountability, respect conflicts of interest and financial separation, respect the Hatch Act, and respect the FEC chair when he says "It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election."

At every step of the way trump undermines this framework while also subverting the rule of law, so for me, it begs the question when I hear people are going to vote trump or vote third party: Why on earth should I care about the issue you care about, when either explicitly or implicitly, you don't seem to care about the undermining of the framework that makes your issue enforceable?

This is the very same forum where there are threads asking what's the most tax efficient way to put away $50,000+ a year into an IRA....where there are threads asking if $5 million is enough or do you need closer to $10 million for retirement...........and yet there are people nitpicking the difference between wealthy, rich, upper middle class and comparing anesthesiologists to teachers and firemen. And we wonder where the "rich doctor" stereotype comes from.

Reactions: 3 users
1599536438077.png

Mr. Trump’s appeal to the political fringe has now added a new and unpredictable element to German politics at a time when the domestic intelligence agency has identified far-right extremism and far-right terrorism as the biggest risks to German democracy.

The authorities have only recently woken up to a problem of far-right infiltration in the police and military. Over the past 15 months, far-right terrorists killed a regional politician on his front porch near the central city of Kassel, attacked a synagogue in the eastern city of Halle and shot dead nine people of immigrant descent in the western city of Hanau. Mr. Trump featured in the manifesto of the Hanau killer, who praised his “America First” policy.

Well, you can't say trump doesn't at least unite some people...

This is the very same forum where there are threads asking what's the most tax efficient way to put away $50,000+ a year into an IRA....where there are threads asking if $5 million is enough or do you need closer to $10 million for retirement...........and yet there are people nitpicking the difference between wealthy, rich, upper middle class and comparing anesthesiologists to teachers and firemen. And we wonder where the "rich doctor" stereotype comes from.

You mean, like, bragging about getting titles on $150k worth of cars??

Yep.
And it shows how out of touch people are around here.
The wealth income gap isn’t just because we’re lazy. There is history and systems that put us far behind, but people continue to fail to recognize that.
The article points out some of those policy for those that want to learn something.
I don’t think democratic tax policies are the reason that the wealth gap is so large.

"For those in the top 10 percent by income (only 3.6 percent Black), the racial wealth gap is still quite large: median net worth for white families in this income group is $1,789,300 versus $343,160 for Black families."
That is remarkable...

You mean, like, bragging about getting titles on $150k worth of cars??

Yes. Hence why I'm on the side that you're an idiot if you think anesthesiologists are in the same boat as most 9-5 people whose annual median household income is less than $60k a year.

P.S. I also know you know that wasn't bragging, but rather in relation to sending things of value (car titles) safely within the US mail, but thanks for being a super disingenuous ****head and taking that out of context.

Last edited:
Yes. Hence why I'm on the side that you're an idiot if you think anesthesiologists are in the same boat as most 9-5 people whose annual median household income is less than $60k a year.

Oh, you mean like THESE guys???

And that is BEFORE any overtime, etc. Imagine making that, and starting work at the age of 22 (instead of 30) and not starting off $250-$500k in the hole, and being GUARANTEED retirement at 30 years, with PAID insurance and getting paid over $100k per year in retirement....

You wanna feel guilty for making $400k a year, after going into heavy debt, training until age 30, and pulling 60 hour weeks after that? OK.

I’m just saying that MAYBE $400k a year ain’t what it used to be, esp when Govt employees are getting six figure salaries and GUARANTEED retirements in their early 50’s.

The Feds (Medicare)think I’m worth about $96 an hour. The State (Medicaid)thinks I’m worth about $80. (Not including the case start points, that get diluted with slow surgeons). Mechanics charge more than that....

They want to tax my “wealth” that private insurance pays me AND they want me to work for 1/3 of the going rate, when taking care of “Govt” pts.

Last edited:

LOL, you post a pay table from one department of one random city in TX and that's supposed to make your point? Try harder troll

1599537974915.png

1599538041768.png

I don't think anesthesiologists have to feel guilty about anything. What I'm telling you is that comparing yourself to teachers and firemen is insanely stupid and out of touch, and even a comparison to other high earning professionals is probably pretty dumb too. My buddy finished a BS in industrial engineering and was making close to 6 figs while I was in med school and then close to 200k when I was in residency. My sister was making GS-13 money in the government for a long time before getting her CPA and joining a financial firm. Even though they both started their careers well ahead of me, my lifetime earnings will dramatically outpace theirs, even taking into account debt, mortgages, car notes, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.