The Under 3.0 Club part 02

Started by Yah-E
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I'm new to this thread and I was wondering what schools you are all applying/intending to apply to.

Here are my numbers:
BCP: 2.804
sGPA: 2.776
non-sGPA: 3.208
oGPA: 2.994
AA: 22
TS: 22
PA: 25

I've looked at the excel documents posted by doc toothache and made a short list of schools where my stats might fit in. But the list is short and my GPA is on the lower end of the range. So I was wondering, which schools would you recommend? I am a California resident and applying next cycle. I also have plenty of shadowing and community service done. I'm looking for some realistic advice. Thanks in advance!

ekephant. I would take couple more classes to raise your GPA to 3.0. Then you could probably apply to UCSF, UOP. NYU, USC, Western, LLU. Sorry those are ones that I can think out of my head right now. You should buy the ADEA guide book when the newer edition comes out and see which schools are OOS friendly, reasonable tuition, and their stats.
 
Hey guys
I'm gonna apply next cycle but wanted to know if I will even have a chance
to get accepted to ANY dental school... I really don't care where the school is
or how much the tuition is... I just wish I could be accepted to a dental school..

I've already graduated from college like 6 months ago, and I'm currently working.
oGPA: 3.21
BCP GPA: 2.866
sGPA: 2.916
nsGPA: 3.328

DAT: TS 22, AA 21, PAT 22

I've done shadowing, volunteering at hospital, a president of student club, research..
I appreciate all your advice or comments. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the quick reply! some people told me that it is impossible to get into a dental school with my BCP...they told me that I should consider taking post-bacc or master program.. but I just wanna give a shot and apply nxt cycle.

is it really really rare for under 3.0 BCP with no masters/post-bacc to be accepted to a dental school?
 
Hey guys
I'm gonna apply next cycle but wanted to know if I will even have a chance
to get accepted to ANY dental school... I really don't care where the school is
or how much the tuition is... I just wish I could be accepted to a dental school..

I've already graduated from college like 6 months ago, and I'm currently working.
oGPA: 3.21
BCP GPA: 2.866
sGPA: 2.916
nsGPA: 3.328

DAT: TS 22, AA 21, PAT 22

I've done shadowing, volunteering at hospital, a president of student club, research..
I appreciate all your advice or comments. Thank you!

Make sure to buy the ADEA GUIDE BOOK and make sure which school have cut off of 3.0 GPA. You don't want to waste money on those schools. It would be ideal if you can take couple more classes to raise your gpa to 3.0 science, and then you could apply more schools.
Also think about it from adcom prospective. If you see a candidate under 3.0, would you accept them? Yes or no and why?
Many people in this forum have applied with gpa under 3.0 and may have gotten in, but those had a huge upward trend of gpa in their last few terms of school.
Your ECs seem excellent and you have good DAT score. If you can take more classes during spring term and get 4.0, would be great.
Best luck
 
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thank you for being on here to answer pre-dent questions on how to get in w/ sub 3.0! Ya'll rock!

and Happy New Year 🙂
 
I was just looking at the website for the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools. Anyone have an idea of when it will be refreshed? Looking forward to buy the 2013 edition. Thanks!
 
I am a 4th year University of California student with a O. GPA of 2.9, S.GPA of a 2.8. I still have two quarters left however I believe the maximum potential my GPA can get is a 3.08 (overall) and a 3.0 science 🙁( I have yet to take the DAT however my practice scores have been around AA 20. I am not trying to take get a master's degree before applying...Is there anyone in a similar situation that gained acceptance into a dental school this cycle? If so, help and advice would be so greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
 
Make sure to buy the ADEA GUIDE BOOK and make sure which school have cut off of 3.0 GPA. You don't want to waste money on those schools. It would be ideal if you can take couple more classes to raise your gpa to 3.0 science, and then you could apply more schools.
Also think about it from adcom prospective. If you see a candidate under 3.0, would you accept them? Yes or no and why?
Many people in this forum have applied with gpa under 3.0 and may have gotten in, but those had a huge upward trend of gpa in their last few terms of school.
Your ECs seem excellent and you have good DAT score. If you can take more classes during spring term and get 4.0, would be great.
Best luck


Thank you LaughingGas! I'm thinking about doing informal post-bacc at local university or community college for a year to raise BCP and sGPA above 3.0 and then apply. Hopefully this will work! Thankssss 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I've been trying to decide on what classes I should take for the spring semester. Is it more advisable to retake courses I got a C in (ie: orgo I and biochem I), or should I take completely new upper div courses (ie: Biology of Cancer or Inorganic Chemistry)?

I'm currently doing post-bacc work and am considering an MS in biomedical sciences.
 
I was told not to re-take courses because obviously you should get an A if it's your second time taking it. (told by one dental school)

Most say take upper level Science courses and do well is better.
 
Thanks for your input.


Also, I have been reading since the beginning of the thread about recommendations on entering a masters program, though in later posts I've been seeing more success of getting in without going the MS route. Is it still advisable to do a MS? I'm not an URM if that matters...
 
Hi, First Time Poster Here.

SDN has been a life saver!
A little about myself, I graduated in May 2012 from a top 10 University with a 2.97 GPA (Awwffulllll). My first semester freshmen year I Withdrew from a class and received a D and D+. Even though my GPA is terrible I have shown a very strong upward trend and made all A's my senior year. There is no excuse for my poor start other than not being as prepared as I thought for a top caliber school.

After graduation I decided I would do an informal postbacc at my state school as I had not taken any of my pre reqs. I started last summer with Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II with an A and B+. This past fall I took Orgo I, Bio I, and A&P I and received all A's. This Spring I am scheduled to take Orgo II, Bio II, and Physics I. I am a completely different student than I was a year ago and I am confident I can keep this string of A's up. However, I am a little discouraged because even with all A's i my remaining pre-reqs (This Spring and Pysics II in the summer) my overall GPA will only be a 3.11 when I plan to apply in June for this next cycle and my science GPA will be a 3.47. Unfortunately my science GPA isnt the same as my Post Bacc GPA of 3.875 because I took a random Bio and Calculus during the second semester my freshmen year and made a C and C- and this is hurting my BCP.

I know that I absolutely MUST score above 20 on my DAT and I have decided to prepare for that on my own throughout the course of this semester and take it once classes are finished. I also know that I must have a great PS which I have been working on for a few weeks (writing part of a draft, then letting it sit for a few days then adding to it) I have kept a log for each time I have shadowed and random ideas that I want to incorporate into my PS.

As far as the rest of my application I am currently apart of the Pre-Dental Society at the school in which Im doing my post bacc. I am also volunteering at a dental clinic for 4 hours a week and shadowing for 2-3 hours a week at the same clinic.

Throughout undergrad I did serve in 4 on campus Leadership Positions. Worked for 15-20 hours a week for a great Non Profit mentoring program that links 5th-9th graders with Medical and Science Graduate Students to keep them interested in fields of science and technology.

Community Service >1000 Hours (400 were during a Community Service trip to Trinidad and Tobago after my sophomore year where I worked 8 hours a day for a little over two months)
Shadowing 28 Medical Hours (During Undergrad)... 42 Dental Hours so far and I hope to reach 100 by the time June rolls around.
Undergrad GPA 2.97
Post Bacc so far 3.875
OGPA 3.11
SGPA 3.47

With allllll of this being said, Will I have a strong chance if I apply to 15 schools this coming cycle or is it necessary that I complete another years worth of post bacc classes to continue raising my GPA before applying? Also I should mention that I was planning on taking Biochemistry and Microbiology next fall while waiting for interview invites. Any suggestions on how I can continue to make my application more competitive?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this very longgggggg post, I greatly appreciate it!
 
^You definitely have a chance. That science GPA makes you well within the ranges of a lot of dental schools and science GPA definitely matters more than your overall GPA. This shows you can handle sciences and dental school is basically all sciences. Make sure you score at least 19s on each section and aim as high as possible. Applying to 15 schools is also a good idea. Make sure at least half of those schools are private schools, and then apply to your own state school(s) along with a few out of state friendly schools like neighboring state schools and such. The cycle opens early June. Make sure by May, all of your letters of recommendation, personal statement and transcripts are ready to go. Best of luck.
 
A bit embarrassed to admit this but I do belong to this club.

cGPA is 3.246 and sGPA is 2.791 😡

DAT--> 24/25/24 AA/TS/PA 🙂 This will hopefully save me from having to commit suicide in order to escape the misery of being a confirmed failure.

Extracurricular --> over 100hours of dental related shadowing. Currently not doing any, but will start up doing more in a few weeks.

I have 1 semester left of undergrad. I already completed all my requirements for my degree in the first 3.5 years and could have graduated early but I'm staying for the last one in order to take as many science courses I can to increase my sGPA as much as mathematically possible. I'm applying in June of 2013

Heres to hoping for an acceptance 👍
 
I was wondering if anyone received an interview with my stat.

Bcp 2.65
S. gpa 2.62
Non. Science 3.32
Total gpa 2.82

I graduated with a 2.91 on my college transcript
I am doing a post-bac, taking graduate science courses with an avg. gpa of 3.6 (24 credits). Upward trend for the past 4 semesters, getting 3.5 and up.

DAT
PAT 19
Science 20
Overall 19

Lots of hours volunteering and working as a dental assistant. Started my own club and was part of many other clubs at my university. Good personal statement (told by the admission at the dental school) and good recommendations.

Thanks!
 
I was wondering if anyone received an interview with my stat.

Bcp 2.65
S. gpa 2.62
Non. Science 3.32
Total gpa 2.82

I graduated with a 2.91 on my college transcript
I am doing a post-bac, taking graduate science courses with an avg. gpa of 3.6 (24 credits). Upward trend for the past 4 semesters, getting 3.5 and up.

DAT
PAT 19
Science 20
Overall 19

Lots of hours volunteering and working as a dental assistant. Started my own club and was part of many other clubs at my university. Good personal statement (told by the admission at the dental school) and good recommendations.

Thanks!


Your DAT isn't bad BUT it is NOT good enough for you GPA. I am NOT saying that you have zero chance but I think it would be easier to retake the DAT than more post-bac courses.
 
I think you definitely should continue taking class but need to retake the DAT and achieve 20+. It is nearly impossible to get in with your stats. Your DAT right now is only average, and your GPAs are all way below average. GPA is something you really can't change a whole lot, but you can boost your DAT to make up for it.
 
A bit embarrassed to admit this but I do belong to this club.

cGPA is 3.246 and sGPA is 2.791 😡

DAT--> 24/25/24 AA/TS/PA 🙂 This will hopefully save me from having to commit suicide in order to escape the misery of being a confirmed failure.

Extracurricular --> over 100hours of dental related shadowing. Currently not doing any, but will start up doing more in a few weeks.

I have 1 semester left of undergrad. I already completed all my requirements for my degree in the first 3.5 years and could have graduated early but I'm staying for the last one in order to take as many science courses I can to increase my sGPA as much as mathematically possible. I'm applying in June of 2013

Heres to hoping for an acceptance 👍

Don't talk like that! Where there's a will, there's a way. A lot of people on here have some stories that are very inspirational. You conquered the DAT. You will never have to take that exam again. This allows you to focus on other areas of your application. With that DAT I think you have a solid chance. Just craft a masterful personal statement. 👍
 
Don't talk like that! Where there's a will, there's a way. A lot of people on here have some stories that are very inspirational. You conquered the DAT. You will never have to take that exam again. This allows you to focus on other areas of your application. With that DAT I think you have a solid chance. Just craft a masterful personal statement. 👍

You're right. I just beat myself up over my past faults a little too much. I should focus more on the positive. 😎
 
A bit embarrassed to admit this but I do belong to this club.

cGPA is 3.246 and sGPA is 2.791 😡

DAT--> 24/25/24 AA/TS/PA 🙂 This will hopefully save me from having to commit suicide in order to escape the misery of being a confirmed failure.

Extracurricular --> over 100hours of dental related shadowing. Currently not doing any, but will start up doing more in a few weeks.

I have 1 semester left of undergrad. I already completed all my requirements for my degree in the first 3.5 years and could have graduated early but I'm staying for the last one in order to take as many science courses I can to increase my sGPA as much as mathematically possible. I'm applying in June of 2013

Heres to hoping for an acceptance 👍

Your DAT score is phenomenal but as you said your GPA is very low. If you do a post-back program next school year and get about a 3.5 then i think your will definitely get accepted somewhere.
 
Hi guys! New to here! One of my pre-reqs (Gen Chem 2) I received a C- in. Most schools require all pre-reqs to be about C. Would it be okay if I retake the class at a community college? Will that look bad to the admissions committee? Thanks 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out what my chances are for getting into dental school. I'm going to be applying this summer.
oGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.4
bcpGPA 3.4
AA19 TS20 PAT16
two years at a community college
plenty of shadowing, volunteering, leadership experience and research
 
Hi guys! New to here! One of my pre-reqs (Gen Chem 2) I received a C- in. Most schools require all pre-reqs to be about C. Would it be okay if I retake the class at a community college? Will that look bad to the admissions committee? Thanks 🙂


I don't know if this will help much, but in my case my school did not offer Ochem during the Summer, so I decided to take it at a community college. After that, I felt more confident and comfortable with the teaching style and performed so much better, that I also took Ochem II the following semester (Fall) at the same community college. If they asked me anything about it, I'll give them this same answer. 🙂
.
 
Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out what my chances are for getting into dental school. I'm going to be applying this summer.
oGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.4
bcpGPA 3.4
AA19 TS20 PAT16
two years at a community college
plenty of shadowing, volunteering, leadership experience and research

Apply to 15+ schools and you shall receive some interviews.
 
Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out what my chances are for getting into dental school. I'm going to be applying this summer.
oGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.4
bcpGPA 3.4
AA19 TS20 PAT16
two years at a community college
plenty of shadowing, volunteering, leadership experience and research


I think you'll be OK. Just make sure you apply mostly to schools within the range of your DAT scores; Marquette and VCU for sure. I'd also say to apply to Roseman (UT), but they might have a say about your PAT 16. I know they want a minimum of 17 on each part, but you never know....everything is possible if you knock on the right door! Of course these are just suggestion, it is up to you. I wish you the best! 🙂
 
Your DAT score is phenomenal but as you said your GPA is very low. If you do a post-back program next school year and get about a 3.5 then i think your will definitely get accepted somewhere.



A post-back is always a choice, but I still think you have some chance even with your current GPAs. For experience I’ve heart - including my own - there are some schools that will accept you just because you are showing endurance, perseverance, and such improvement with your DAT scores. Honestly I congratulate you on that!! As I've suggested to some else on this forum, look into Marquette, Roseman in Utah, VCU, Howard, and Meharry. I would even advise to personally go and meet with them; that along will show strong interest in their schools. I fact, if you'd like to meet all at ones, ADEA Go Dental has this event in March in Seattle. I'd call this a good investment of your time and money. Check it out. Those schools I’ve mentioned above are not the only ones. Just for the record, I am not saying that they will accept your scores, but for some reason they have that tendency. All I am saying is that as it is you still have some chance, with higher scores (post-bac, etc) your chances increase. Now, you go ahead and make a decision. 🙂

P.S. You are not a failure; you are just a fighter like all of us on this forum. Hang in there man! You will get in!!
 
Have any of you guys heart or received an interview invite for the upcoming months? If so, please let the forum know 🙂
 
A post-back is always a choice, but I still think you have some chance even with your current GPAs. For experience I’ve heart - including my own - there are some schools that will accept you just because you are showing endurance, perseverance, and such improvement with your DAT scores. Honestly I congratulate you on that!! As I've suggested to some else on this forum, look into Marquette, Roseman in Utah, VCU, Howard, and Meharry. I would even advise to personally go and meet with them; that along will show strong interest in their schools. I fact, if you'd like to meet all at ones, ADEA Go Dental has this event in March in Seattle. I'd call this a good investment of your time and money. Check it out. Those schools I’ve mentioned above are not the only ones. Just for the record, I am not saying that they will accept your scores, but for some reason they have that tendency. All I am saying is that as it is you still have some chance, with higher scores (post-bac, etc) your chances increase. Now, you go ahead and make a decision. 🙂

P.S. You are not a failure; you are just a fighter like all of us on this forum. Hang in there man! You will get in!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.👍

I've already made plans to visit the few D schools around me in the coming month. I'm going to see the admission advisers face to face in order to get a straight answer from them about my chances and what else I can do to improve said chances.
 
A bit embarrassed to admit this but I do belong to this club.

cGPA is 3.246 and sGPA is 2.791 😡

DAT--> 24/25/24 AA/TS/PA 🙂 This will hopefully save me from having to commit suicide in order to escape the misery of being a confirmed failure.

Extracurricular --> over 100hours of dental related shadowing. Currently not doing any, but will start up doing more in a few weeks.

I have 1 semester left of undergrad. I already completed all my requirements for my degree in the first 3.5 years and could have graduated early but I'm staying for the last one in order to take as many science courses I can to increase my sGPA as much as mathematically possible. I'm applying in June of 2013

Heres to hoping for an acceptance 👍

Same boat as you but with a lower PA and Im already a whole semester in my post-bac and doing my 2nd one starts next week.

Im a little worried but Im going to give it my best and if I dont get in I'll keep trying until I do.
 
PLEASE HELP

MY situation is one that is very rare and I was REALLY HOPING I COULD GET ADVICE/OPINIONS on what anyone thinks in terms of me getting into dental school. here are my stats

126 credits taken undergrad with a graduating cum GPA of 2.31
i also TECHNICALLY took about 40ish credits of science courses consisting of the prereqs. i say technically because they were listed on my transcript that i was in the class, but I honestly did not care or attend class or study. My life was a mess and school wasn't a priority; so unfortunately i left the school with like a 2.0 ish science GPA, but again it literally was as if i never took the courses at all.

Now, I'm at another college since graduating in Spring of 2011, and i have completed 50 credits (8 A+'s, 4 A's, 2 A-'s, 2 B+'s) and have a cumulative post-bacc GPA of a 4.0. (1st sem 14.5 credits w/4.11 gpa, 2nd sem 14.5 credits with 3.79 GPA, summer 2 credits TAing with a 4.33 gpa, and just finished this fall with 19 credits/6 classes with a 4.05 GPA) At the end of this spring 2013 semester, i will have a total of 64 credits completed with a minimum cum post-bacc GPA of a 3.9 to be safe. I have taken all prereqs over plus Calc 1, anat and phys 1+2, cell biology, Spanish, I was a TA for gen chem 1+2 lab, and a TA for gen chem 1 lecture. This spring I am taking orgo2 phys2 and pchem1 w labs, and am taking DAT in may/june and will get AT LEAST a 21 most likely.

my cum will most likely come out to be a 2.85 ish after all of this and sci-gpa will come out to be a 3.0ish most likely because technically i was signed up for science courses during my undergrad career and i failed a bunch and got Cs and Ds. My post-bacc GPA will be at least a 3.9 with 64 credits all science except spanish.

I ALSO have 1000+ hours of experience of dental shadowing and am very knowledgable/have worked as a dental assistant.


DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE A SHOT? I'm very desperate worried and depressed about this situation and not sure what's going to happen if I apply, Thank you all for taking time to read this and comment.




POST-BACC GRADES:

1) Fall 2011: 14.5 credits: 4.11 GPA

Gen Chem 1 lab and lec = A+
Bio 1 lec = A-
Bio 1 lab = A
Calc 1 = A+

2) Spring 2012: 14.5 credits: 3.79 GPA

Gen Chem 2 lab and lec = B+
Bio 2 lec = A
Bio 2 lab = B+
Anat and Phys 2 = A+

3) Summer 2012: 2 credits: 4.33 GPA

Gen Chem 1 and 2 lab TA = A+

4) Fall 2012: 19 credits: 4.05 GPA

Spanish = A+
Orgo 1 lec = A
Phys 1 lab = A+
Cell Biology = A-
Anat and Phys 1 = A
Gen Chem 1 lab and lec TA = A+

5) Spring 2013: 14 credits: ??? GPA

Orgo 2 lec =
Orgo 2 lab =
Physics 2 lab =
Physics 2 lec =
Physical Chemistry 1 =
 
Last edited:
PLEASE HELP

MY situation is one that is very rare and I was REALLY HOPING I COULD GET ADVICE/OPINIONS on what anyone thinks in terms of me getting into dental school. here are my stats

126 credits taken undergrad with a graduating cum GPA of 2.31
i also TECHNICALLY took about 40ish credits of science courses consisting of the prereqs. i say technically because they were listed on my transcript that i was in the class, but I honestly did not care or attend class or study. My life was a mess and school wasn't a priority; so unfortunately i left the school with like a 2.0 ish science GPA, but again it literally was as if i never took the courses at all.

Now, I'm at another college since graduating in Spring of 2011, and i have completed 50 credits (8 A+'s, 4 A's, 2 A-'s, 2 B+'s) and have a cumulative post-bacc GPA of a 4.0. (1st sem 14.5 credits w/4.11 gpa, 2nd sem 14.5 credits with 3.79 GPA, summer 2 credits TAing with a 4.33 gpa, and just finished this fall with 19 credits/6 classes with a 4.05 GPA) At the end of this spring 2013 semester, i will have a total of 64 credits completed with a minimum cum post-bacc GPA of a 3.9 to be safe. I have taken all prereqs over plus Calc 1, anat and phys 1+2, cell biology, Spanish, I was a TA for gen chem 1+2 lab, and a TA for gen chem 1 lecture. This spring I am taking orgo2 phys2 and pchem1 w labs, and am taking DAT in may/june and will get AT LEAST a 21 most likely.

my cum will most likely come out to be a 2.85 ish after all of this and sci-gpa will come out to be a 3.0ish most likely because technically i was signed up for science courses during my undergrad career and i failed a bunch and got Cs and Ds. My post-bacc GPA will be at least a 3.9 with 64 credits all science except spanish.

I ALSO have 1000+ hours of experience of dental shadowing and am very knowledgable/have worked as a dental assistant.


DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE A SHOT? I'm very desperate worried and depressed about this situation and not sure what's going to happen if I apply, Thank you all for taking time to read this and comment.




POST-BACC GRADES:

1) Fall 2011: 14.5 credits: 4.11 GPA

Gen Chem 1 lab and lec = A+
Bio 1 lec = A-
Bio 1 lab = A
Calc 1 = A+

2) Spring 2012: 14.5 credits: 3.79 GPA

Gen Chem 2 lab and lec = B+
Bio 2 lec = A
Bio 2 lab = B+
Anat and Phys 2 = A+

3) Summer 2012: 2 credits: 4.33 GPA

Gen Chem 1 and 2 lab TA = A+

4) Fall 2012: 19 credits: 4.05 GPA

Spanish = A+
Orgo 1 lec = A
Phys 1 lab = A+
Cell Biology = A-
Anat and Phys 1 = A
Gen Chem 1 lab and lec TA = A+

5) Spring 2013: 14 credits: ??? GPA

Orgo 2 lec =
Orgo 2 lab =
Physics 2 lab =
Physics 2 lec =
Physical Chemistry 1 =
 
PLEASE HELP

MY situation is one that is very rare and I was REALLY HOPING I COULD GET ADVICE/OPINIONS on what anyone thinks in terms of me getting into dental school. here are my stats

126 credits taken undergrad with a graduating cum GPA of 2.31
i also TECHNICALLY took about 40ish credits of science courses consisting of the prereqs. i say technically because they were listed on my transcript that i was in the class, but I honestly did not care or attend class or study. My life was a mess and school wasn't a priority; so unfortunately i left the school with like a 2.0 ish science GPA, but again it literally was as if i never took the courses at all.

Now, I'm at another college since graduating in Spring of 2011, and i have completed 50 credits (8 A+'s, 4 A's, 2 A-'s, 2 B+'s) and have a cumulative post-bacc GPA of a 4.0. (1st sem 14.5 credits w/4.11 gpa, 2nd sem 14.5 credits with 3.79 GPA, summer 2 credits TAing with a 4.33 gpa, and just finished this fall with 19 credits/6 classes with a 4.05 GPA) At the end of this spring 2013 semester, i will have a total of 64 credits completed with a minimum cum post-bacc GPA of a 3.9 to be safe. I have taken all prereqs over plus Calc 1, anat and phys 1+2, cell biology, Spanish, I was a TA for gen chem 1+2 lab, and a TA for gen chem 1 lecture. This spring I am taking orgo2 phys2 and pchem1 w labs, and am taking DAT in may/june and will get AT LEAST a 21 most likely.

my cum will most likely come out to be a 2.85 ish after all of this and sci-gpa will come out to be a 3.0ish most likely because technically i was signed up for science courses during my undergrad career and i failed a bunch and got Cs and Ds. My post-bacc GPA will be at least a 3.9 with 64 credits all science except spanish.

I ALSO have 1000+ hours of experience of dental shadowing and am very knowledgable/have worked as a dental assistant.


DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE A SHOT? I'm very desperate worried and depressed about this situation and not sure what's going to happen if I apply, Thank you all for taking time to read this and comment.




POST-BACC GRADES:

1) Fall 2011: 14.5 credits: 4.11 GPA

Gen Chem 1 lab and lec = A+
Bio 1 lec = A-
Bio 1 lab = A
Calc 1 = A+

2) Spring 2012: 14.5 credits: 3.79 GPA

Gen Chem 2 lab and lec = B+
Bio 2 lec = A
Bio 2 lab = B+
Anat and Phys 2 = A+

3) Summer 2012: 2 credits: 4.33 GPA

Gen Chem 1 and 2 lab TA = A+

4) Fall 2012: 19 credits: 4.05 GPA

Spanish = A+
Orgo 1 lec = A
Phys 1 lab = A+
Cell Biology = A-
Anat and Phys 1 = A
Gen Chem 1 lab and lec TA = A+

5) Spring 2013: 14 credits: ??? GPA

Orgo 2 lec =
Orgo 2 lab =
Physics 2 lab =
Physics 2 lec =
Physical Chemistry 1 =

Just apply man.

And good luck.

Don't worry either
 
PLEASE HELP

MY situation is one that is very rare and I was REALLY HOPING I COULD GET ADVICE/OPINIONS on what anyone thinks in terms of me getting into dental school. here are my stats

126 credits taken undergrad with a graduating cum GPA of 2.31
i also TECHNICALLY took about 40ish credits of science courses consisting of the prereqs. i say technically because they were listed on my transcript that i was in the class, but I honestly did not care or attend class or study. My life was a mess and school wasn't a priority; so unfortunately i left the school with like a 2.0 ish science GPA, but again it literally was as if i never took the courses at all.

Now, I'm at another college since graduating in Spring of 2011, and i have completed 50 credits (8 A+'s, 4 A's, 2 A-'s, 2 B+'s) and have a cumulative post-bacc GPA of a 4.0. (1st sem 14.5 credits w/4.11 gpa, 2nd sem 14.5 credits with 3.79 GPA, summer 2 credits TAing with a 4.33 gpa, and just finished this fall with 19 credits/6 classes with a 4.05 GPA) At the end of this spring 2013 semester, i will have a total of 64 credits completed with a minimum cum post-bacc GPA of a 3.9 to be safe. I have taken all prereqs over plus Calc 1, anat and phys 1+2, cell biology, Spanish, I was a TA for gen chem 1+2 lab, and a TA for gen chem 1 lecture. This spring I am taking orgo2 phys2 and pchem1 w labs, and am taking DAT in may/june and will get AT LEAST a 21 most likely.

my cum will most likely come out to be a 2.85 ish after all of this and sci-gpa will come out to be a 3.0ish most likely because technically i was signed up for science courses during my undergrad career and i failed a bunch and got Cs and Ds. My post-bacc GPA will be at least a 3.9 with 64 credits all science except spanish.

I ALSO have 1000+ hours of experience of dental shadowing and am very knowledgable/have worked as a dental assistant.


DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE A SHOT? I'm very desperate worried and depressed about this situation and not sure what's going to happen if I apply, Thank you all for taking time to read this and comment.




POST-BACC GRADES:

1) Fall 2011: 14.5 credits: 4.11 GPA

Gen Chem 1 lab and lec = A+
Bio 1 lec = A-
Bio 1 lab = A
Calc 1 = A+

2) Spring 2012: 14.5 credits: 3.79 GPA

Gen Chem 2 lab and lec = B+
Bio 2 lec = A
Bio 2 lab = B+
Anat and Phys 2 = A+

3) Summer 2012: 2 credits: 4.33 GPA

Gen Chem 1 and 2 lab TA = A+

4) Fall 2012: 19 credits: 4.05 GPA

Spanish = A+
Orgo 1 lec = A
Phys 1 lab = A+
Cell Biology = A-
Anat and Phys 1 = A
Gen Chem 1 lab and lec TA = A+

5) Spring 2013: 14 credits: ??? GPA

Orgo 2 lec =
Orgo 2 lab =
Physics 2 lab =
Physics 2 lec =
Physical Chemistry 1 =

You and me have very similar situation. I also didn't give a crap and resulted in ****ty ugrad gpa. I probably understand how you feel and how you are bashing your head wishing you did this well during undergrad. Your GPA is impressive. Here's bad news. Because of the majority of your post-bac are repeats of prereqs, you will need more terms with upper div bio classes (or chem or physics), to boost your BCP gpa. You can verify this by calling the schools, but this is the impression I got by contacting some. You can try to apply this year and maybe, with luck, you could get in. I say try to apply schools, avoid the ones with cut off of 3.0, apply EARLY. If your app is not completed(L.O.R verfied/received, transcript received and grades verified, e-submitted) by the end of july, forget about applying this year.
Best luck.
 
I wonder where is everybody 😕 Did everybody on this forum got an interview or simply gave up?😀 😱

Please, could you guys tell me if you've gotten an interview or if you have heard anything from any schools as far as their application process at this point in the cycle? I guess reading your postings helps me with the anxiety 👍 I am still ON HOLD at Marquette , have not heard anything yet from Chicago and VCU. 🙁
 
I wonder where is everybody 😕 Did everybody on this forum got an interview or simply gave up?😀 😱

Please, could you guys tell me if you've gotten an interview or if you have heard anything from any schools as far as their application process at this point in the cycle? I guess reading your postings helps me with the anxiety 👍 I am still ON HOLD at Marquette , have not heard anything yet from Chicago and VCU. 🙁

I still have like 4 schools that havent given me any kind of response yet. No idea whats going on with them. Though Im very sure I'll either be rejected or wait listed.

I think its already very late in the cycle and you wont be hearing much from anyone. Everyone who got in this cycle received their acceptance already.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still have like 4 schools that havent given me any kind of response yet. No idea whats going on with them. Though Im very sure I'll either be rejected or wait listed.

I think its already very late in the cycle and you wont be hearing much from anyone. Everyone who got in this cycle received their acceptance already.


I guess we'll just have to hang in there man. This friend of mine was accepted a week prior classes begin at this dental school. Still, while waiting for a miracle, I am already making plans to reapply this year. 👍
 
PLEASE HELP

MY situation is one that is very rare and I was REALLY HOPING I COULD GET ADVICE/OPINIONS on what anyone thinks in terms of me getting into dental school. here are my stats

126 credits taken undergrad with a graduating cum GPA of 2.31
i also TECHNICALLY took about 40ish credits of science courses consisting of the prereqs. i say technically because they were listed on my transcript that i was in the class, but I honestly did not care or attend class or study. My life was a mess and school wasn't a priority; so unfortunately i left the school with like a 2.0 ish science GPA, but again it literally was as if i never took the courses at all.

Now, I'm at another college since graduating in Spring of 2011, and i have completed 50 credits (8 A+'s, 4 A's, 2 A-'s, 2 B+'s) and have a cumulative post-bacc GPA of a 4.0. (1st sem 14.5 credits w/4.11 gpa, 2nd sem 14.5 credits with 3.79 GPA, summer 2 credits TAing with a 4.33 gpa, and just finished this fall with 19 credits/6 classes with a 4.05 GPA) At the end of this spring 2013 semester, i will have a total of 64 credits completed with a minimum cum post-bacc GPA of a 3.9 to be safe. I have taken all prereqs over plus Calc 1, anat and phys 1+2, cell biology, Spanish, I was a TA for gen chem 1+2 lab, and a TA for gen chem 1 lecture. This spring I am taking orgo2 phys2 and pchem1 w labs, and am taking DAT in may/june and will get AT LEAST a 21 most likely.

my cum will most likely come out to be a 2.85 ish after all of this and sci-gpa will come out to be a 3.0ish most likely because technically i was signed up for science courses during my undergrad career and i failed a bunch and got Cs and Ds. My post-bacc GPA will be at least a 3.9 with 64 credits all science except spanish.

I ALSO have 1000+ hours of experience of dental shadowing and am very knowledgable/have worked as a dental assistant.


DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE A SHOT? I'm very desperate worried and depressed about this situation and not sure what's going to happen if I apply, Thank you all for taking time to read this and comment.




POST-BACC GRADES:

1) Fall 2011: 14.5 credits: 4.11 GPA

Gen Chem 1 lab and lec = A+
Bio 1 lec = A-
Bio 1 lab = A
Calc 1 = A+

2) Spring 2012: 14.5 credits: 3.79 GPA

Gen Chem 2 lab and lec = B+
Bio 2 lec = A
Bio 2 lab = B+
Anat and Phys 2 = A+

3) Summer 2012: 2 credits: 4.33 GPA

Gen Chem 1 and 2 lab TA = A+

4) Fall 2012: 19 credits: 4.05 GPA

Spanish = A+
Orgo 1 lec = A
Phys 1 lab = A+
Cell Biology = A-
Anat and Phys 1 = A
Gen Chem 1 lab and lec TA = A+

5) Spring 2013: 14 credits: ??? GPA

Orgo 2 lec =
Orgo 2 lab =
Physics 2 lab =
Physics 2 lec =
Physical Chemistry 1 =

Do more upper division science classes until you get 3.0. Take your DAT and hope that you score above 22+. It is really hard to tell right now since you don't have the DAT to show.
 
Hi, First Time Poster Here.

SDN has been a life saver!
A little about myself, I graduated in May 2012 from a top 10 University with a 2.97 GPA (Awwffulllll). My first semester freshmen year I Withdrew from a class and received a D and D+. Even though my GPA is terrible I have shown a very strong upward trend and made all A's my senior year. There is no excuse for my poor start other than not being as prepared as I thought for a top caliber school.

After graduation I decided I would do an informal postbacc at my state school as I had not taken any of my pre reqs. I started last summer with Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II with an A and B+. This past fall I took Orgo I, Bio I, and A&P I and received all A's. This Spring I am scheduled to take Orgo II, Bio II, and Physics I. I am a completely different student than I was a year ago and I am confident I can keep this string of A's up. However, I am a little discouraged because even with all A's i my remaining pre-reqs (This Spring and Pysics II in the summer) my overall GPA will only be a 3.11 when I plan to apply in June for this next cycle and my science GPA will be a 3.47. Unfortunately my science GPA isnt the same as my Post Bacc GPA of 3.875 because I took a random Bio and Calculus during the second semester my freshmen year and made a C and C- and this is hurting my BCP.

I know that I absolutely MUST score above 20 on my DAT and I have decided to prepare for that on my own throughout the course of this semester and take it once classes are finished. I also know that I must have a great PS which I have been working on for a few weeks (writing part of a draft, then letting it sit for a few days then adding to it) I have kept a log for each time I have shadowed and random ideas that I want to incorporate into my PS.

As far as the rest of my application I am currently apart of the Pre-Dental Society at the school in which Im doing my post bacc. I am also volunteering at a dental clinic for 4 hours a week and shadowing for 2-3 hours a week at the same clinic.

Throughout undergrad I did serve in 4 on campus Leadership Positions. Worked for 15-20 hours a week for a great Non Profit mentoring program that links 5th-9th graders with Medical and Science Graduate Students to keep them interested in fields of science and technology.

Community Service >1000 Hours (400 were during a Community Service trip to Trinidad and Tobago after my sophomore year where I worked 8 hours a day for a little over two months)
Shadowing 28 Medical Hours (During Undergrad)... 42 Dental Hours so far and I hope to reach 100 by the time June rolls around.
Undergrad GPA 2.97
Post Bacc so far 3.875
OGPA 3.11
SGPA 3.47

With allllll of this being said, Will I have a strong chance if I apply to 15 schools this coming cycle or is it necessary that I complete another years worth of post bacc classes to continue raising my GPA before applying? Also I should mention that I was planning on taking Biochemistry and Microbiology next fall while waiting for interview invites. Any suggestions on how I can continue to make my application more competitive?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this very longgggggg post, I greatly appreciate it!
DEF have a gooood chance!

I have very similar stats.

Undergrad: 3.0
post bacc: 3.7
DAT: 19s with 23 PAT

got 7 interviews so far, not going to go to one... accepted to 4 schools, including USC and the one in my signature.

So. yes. def. apply broadly, and apply early!
 
Hey guys, don't know why it took me so long to post on here, but I am halfway through my first year of dental school, doing very well, involved in a lot of extra curricular stuff as well. Two masters later, a lot if hard work, a great DAT, and I'm here. Seems like so long ago when I was in your shoes, but in reality it was less than a year ago. There's hope guys, just hang tough 🙂.
 
Last edited:
Any suggestions/advice for ogpa:3.1 and sgpa:2.8 with an 18AA? I am taking biochem and a&p this semester as post bac classes...