The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any suggestions/advice for ogpa:3.1 and sgpa:2.8 with an 18AA? I am taking biochem and a&p this semester as post bac classes...

Retake the DAT. Take some time off from classes and put all your focus on this. I studied for it while taking 2 upper div classes and I didnt like that. I did okay on the DAT but due to neglect I got a B+ &B for the classes. If you can clear your schedule for a few months and only prepare for the DAT.

After you take the DAT apply again and if you feel it is necessary prepare for the worst and continue taking as many classes as you can to increase your science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, don't know why it took me so long to post on here, but I am halfway through my first year of dental school, doing very well, involved in a lot of extra curricular stuff as well. Two masters later, a lot if hard work, a great DAT, and I'm here. Seems like so long ago when I was in your shoes, but in reality it was less than a year ago. There's hope guys, just hang tough :).

Can you share some of your specific stats?

Can you share some of your specific stats?

When talking to one of my friends he claimed its hard to look at my numbers and understand because in his opinion I was such a unique case, that said I will give you some rough numbers:
cGPA was below 2.8, sGPA was 2.8ish, BCP was 3.25....... my undergrad GPA was just baaaaaad, although it had an upward trend at the end, did two masters, an M.S. and then an M.A., with a 3.6 & 3.86 respectively.

Got a 22/23/22 AA/TS/PAT on the DAT

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, don't know why it took me so long to post on here, but I am halfway through my first year of dental school, doing very well, involved in a lot of extra curricular stuff as well. Two masters later, a lot if hard work, a great DAT, and I'm here. Seems like so long ago when I was in your shoes, but in reality it was less than a year ago. There's hope guys, just hang tough :).

Wow, two Masters, that's imprecise. Which school are you attending? and what kind of extra curricular stuff are you involved with at dental school? It sounds interesting.

Anyone interviewing for the PESP at Marquette in Feb or March?

Hello sdn,
For the past 2 years, I have been a lurker. I was part of this family and still part of the “Under 3.0 Club” till I received my first acceptance call this past Friday at 12.03 pm. I just want to tell you guys not to give up and believe in yourself all the way. My ogpa and sgpa were really low (around 2.4) when I first thought about going to dental school back in 2010. I had so much going on in my life that I feel like I have lived 40years already and I m sill 28. I still remember the day I went to my pre-health advisor on campus and he told me to seriously think about a plan B because I had NO CHANCE of getting to DS. After he told me that, I left his office and never returned back. Back in my mind, I knew that I had to do whatever it takes and my girlfriend was very supportive. I decided to spend 2 extra years in college to raise up my gpa and I also knew that the quickest way to do so was to get A+ which represents a 4.33. I took about 7 semesters including summer classes (nothing less then 16 credits) with gpas ranging from 3.7 to 4.11. My ogpa and sgpa were at 2.9 ish last summer when I finally decide to give myself a shot. Summer 2012 was intense. I took 13 credits (all science classes) and studied for the DAT as well. I remember some of my friends thought I was crazy but I had to do what I had to do. I first scheduled my DAT date sometimes in August but didn’t feel ready so I postponed till early September. My bio was weak so between the months of August and September, my girlfriend (btw, she is in med school now) was tutoring me in bio. She wasn’t playing. She was quizzing me every min of the day, even when we were eating. She was hardcore. In September, I wasn’t 100% ready for it but took it anyway (I felt like God was there to guide me and was telling me to just take it). I was surprised when I got my scores back. Bio, which was supposed to be one of my weakest subjects, was actually one of my highest (20+). RC was low though (16) because English is my 2nd language. My scores and files were sent to schools by beginning of November. I was praying and praying and praying till one day I got my invitation (beginning of December) for January. I knew that that interview was my only shot and I had to NAIL it. One of my interviewers was very impressed by my determination, drive, and confidence that this is what he said to me: “People like you are the kind of students we need to have here. I m sure you will have a story to tell to other predental students and help them as well. I will do whatever it takes to have you here next year.” Overall, my interviews were amazing. Again, God was talking for me the whole time. The reason why I took the time to make this post is to let people know that you are the key to your success, and follow your dream. Don’t let anyone tell you what to do if they are not here to help you. Good luck to those that are still waiting and congrats to class of 2017. GOD BLESS.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello sdn,
For the past 2 years, I have been a lurker. I was part of this family and still part of the “Under 3.0 Club” till I received my first acceptance call this past Friday at 12.03 pm. I just want to tell you guys not to give up and believe in yourself all the way. My ogpa and sgpa were really low (around 2.4) when I first thought about going to dental school back in 2010. I had so much going on in my life that I feel like I have lived 40years already and I m sill 28. I still remember the day I went to my pre-health advisor on campus and he told me to seriously think about a plan B because I had NO CHANCE of getting to DS. After he told me that, I left his office and never returned back. Back in my mind, I knew that I had to do whatever it takes and my girlfriend was very supportive. I decided to spend 2 extra years in college to raise up my gpa and I also knew that the quickest way to do so was to get A+ which represents a 4.33. I took about 7 semesters including summer classes (nothing less then 16 credits) with gpas ranging from 3.7 to 4.11. My ogpa and sgpa were at 2.9 ish last summer when I finally decide to give myself a shot. Summer 2012 was intense. I took 13 credits (all science classes) and studied for the DAT as well. I remember some of my friends thought I was crazy but I had to do what I had to do. I first scheduled my DAT date sometimes in August but didn’t feel ready so I postponed till early September. My bio was weak so between the months of August and September, my girlfriend (btw, she is in med school now) was tutoring me in bio. She wasn’t playing. She was quizzing me every min of the day, even when we were eating. She was hardcore. In September, I wasn’t 100% ready for it but took it anyway (I felt like God was there to guide me and was telling me to just take it). I was surprised when I got my scores back. Bio, which was supposed to be one of my weakest subjects, was actually one of my highest (20+). RC was low though (16) because English is my 2nd language. My scores and files were sent to schools by beginning of November. I was praying and praying and praying till one day I got my invitation (beginning of December) for January. I knew that that interview was my only shot and I had to NAIL it. One of my interviewers was very impressed by my determination, drive, and confidence that this is what he said to me: “People like you are the kind of students we need to have here. I m sure you will have a story to tell to other predental students and help them as well. I will do whatever it takes to have you here next year.” Overall, my interviews were amazing. Again, God was talking for me the whole time. The reason why I took the time to make this post is to let people know that you are the key to your success, and follow your dream. Don’t let anyone tell you what to do if they are not here to help you. Good luck to those that are still waiting and congrats to class of 2017. GOD BLESS.

:thumbup: Congratulations!!!! If you don't mind me asking, what school did you get accepted to?

Congrats stpele01. Same question, which school?
I am in very similar boat, bad ugpa gpa, 3 years of As, ok DAT, applying late. I'm giving up this cycle tho. Can I pm you with questions?

Congrats stpele01. Same question, which school?
I am in very similar boat, bad ugpa gpa, 3 years of As, ok DAT, applying late. I'm giving up this cycle tho. Can I pm you with questions?

Hey,
I didnt have time to write all the details but I first submitted my app in July with no DAT scores because I knew that the whole gpa verification thing was going to take forever. By August, I was verified but again, I took the DAT late though. I had incredible LOR's (1 dentist and 2 science professors), over 1000hrs of shadowing and dental experience, and a "state of the art" PS. Not bragging but it took me almost 2 years to write it. It was very unique and i had 100s ppl reading it to see what they thought about it. I had my AP professor reading my final draft and she was in total shock and speechless for a few sec. And then she told me that my PS was very catchy and amazing story overall. AGAIN, DONT LISTEN TO PPL WITH NEGATIVE VIBES. Some of my "so called" friends told me it was already too late to apply and I am wasting my money. I applied anyway, got an interview, and now an acceptance and never told any of my friends at school. In your case, this is how I see it: Keep your dreams alive. Its not over till you get your rejection letter. God will open the doors for you too. Please pm me for personal questions. Good luck :xf:

Last edited:
Hey,
I didnt have time to write all the details but I first submitted my app in July with no DAT scores because I knew that the whole gpa verification thing was going to take forever. By August, I was verified but again, I took the DAT late though. I had incredible LOR's (1 dentist and 2 science professors), over 1000hrs of shadowing and dental experience, and a "state of the art" PS. Not bragging but it took me almost 2 years to write it. It was very unique and i had 100s ppl reading it to see what they thought about it. I had my AP professor reading my final draft and she was in total shock and speechless for a few sec. And then she told me that my PS was very catchy and amazing story overall. AGAIN, DONT LISTEN TO PPL WITH NEGATIVE VIBES. Some of my "so called" friends told me it was already too late to apply and I am wasting my money. I applied anyway, got an interview, and now an acceptance and never told any of my friends at school. In your case, this is how I see it: Keep your dreams alive. Its not over till you get your rejection letter. God will open the doors for you too. Please pm me for personal questions. Good luck :xf:
Awesome! Really happy for you.

Which school did you get accepted to?

Hello everyone:
I am currently an undergraduate student with one year left until I receive my bachelor's degree. I plan on applying to DS this summer (for 2014) and taking my DAT beginning of June. I currently have a low SGPA and the main reason is due to my previous college coursework. I graduated from DH school in 2006 when I was 19 and was kind of irresponsible. But I have been working in the field full time until around 2011 when I went back to being a full time student (part time hygienist). I have 6+ years of experience as a hygienist, with my local anesthesia license and I am enrolled in an EFDA program for this upcoming summer. I have LORs from 2 dentists, the director of my alum's dental hygiene program, and a chemistry professor (I know I need to only choose a few). What do you think my likelihood of being accepted is? I really need to do well on the DAT, which I have been taking practice tests and I am enrolled in the online Kaplan course, as well. PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:

Last edited:
Hello everyone:
I am currently an undergraduate student with one year left until I receive my bachelor's degree. I plan on applying to DS this summer (for 2014) and taking my DAT beginning of June. I currently have a low SGPA and the main reason is due to my previous college coursework. I graduated from DH school in 2006 when I was 19 and was kind of irresponsible. But I have been working in the field full time until around 2011 when I went back to being a full time student (part time hygienist). I have 6+ years of experience as a hygienist, with my local anesthesia license and I am enrolled in an EFDA program for this upcoming summer. I have LORs from 2 dentists, the director of my alum's dental hygiene program, and a chemistry professor (I know I need to only choose a few). What do you think my likelihood of being accepted is? I really need to do well on the DAT, which I have been taking practice tests and I am enrolled in the online Kaplan course, as well. PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:

Hello LauRDH. Without stats (ogpa, bcp GPA, science GPA and DAT) it's hard to estimate. You sure have amazing extracurricular and dental experience. What were your grades since you went back to school full time?
You want to have 2~3 science professor LOR and 1 dentist (it's ok to get 2 from dentists). If you research DAT discussion , people advice against kaplan course (too expensive and people get higher scores using cheaper resources).

Hey Everyone,

This thread has been so inspiring and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their stories and give helpful, uplifting advice!

A little background information:I graduated from UVA with a BA in biology in 2011 with a cum gpa of 2.8. I have spent the last two years working and re-taking the pre-reqs that I did poorly in during undergrad at the local 4 year university. I have taken 9-12 credits of science classes every semester while holding down a job in order to pay for my tuition, etc. I didn't go the formal post-bacc program route because of how expensive it is and because I already have undergrad loans (some of which I'm already paying back). I realize that I'm not taking 15+ hours of straight science courses, but I'm hoping that my perseverance and upwards trend in grades will still count for something. I have not applied to dental schools yet (finally applying this summer- eep!) and I'm in the process of studying for my DAT this semester as well as taking two more classes and working. I feel pretty confident with my "resume"- as far as extracurriculars, leadership experience/roles, community service, shadowing hours, and letters of recommendation go... that's the only thing that seems to reflect the amount of time I put into it and how passionate I am about going into this field. So, I basically feel like it is a numbers game at this point (with my gpa, not admissions- even though that is too!). From what I've read on this thread, it seems like nailing the DAT will be a huge factor that dental schools look for in applicants like me.

So this leads me to my questions for you guys: Do you think I hurt my chances of being accepted by choosing to re-take the (C+ or lower) pre-reqs via a non-traditional route? Especially since the application process seems to get more and more competitive each year?

Also, since I re-took several of the pre-req courses, do dental schools factor in both grades to my science gpa or does the second grade replace the first? Or are some dental schools different than others? (Is there a special way to calculate your science gpa? Or is it just the normal way, factoring in science and math classes only?) It's my understanding that AADSAS does this part for you, but does anyone know of any websites that are helpful with this type of thing? Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks guys! Here's to hoping :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

This thread has been so inspiring and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their stories and give helpful, uplifting advice!

A little background information:I graduated from UVA with a BA in biology in 2011 with a cum gpa of 2.8. I have spent the last two years working and re-taking the pre-reqs that I did poorly in during undergrad at the local 4 year university. I have taken 9-12 credits of science classes every semester while holding down a job in order to pay for my tuition, etc. I didn't go the formal post-bacc program route because of how expensive it is and because I already have undergrad loans (some of which I'm already paying back). I realize that I'm not taking 15+ hours of straight science courses, but I'm hoping that my perseverance and upwards trend in grades will still count for something. I have not applied to dental schools yet (finally applying this summer- eep!) and I'm in the process of studying for my DAT this semester as well as taking two more classes and working. I feel pretty confident with my "resume"- as far as extracurriculars, leadership experience/roles, community service, shadowing hours, and letters of recommendation go... that's the only thing that seems to reflect the amount of time I put into it and how passionate I am about going into this field. So, I basically feel like it is a numbers game at this point (with my gpa, not admissions- even though that is too!). From what I've read on this thread, it seems like nailing the DAT will be a huge factor that dental schools look for in applicants like me.

So this leads me to my questions for you guys: Do you think I hurt my chances of being accepted by choosing to re-take the (C+ or lower) pre-reqs via a non-traditional route? Especially since the application process seems to get more and more competitive each year?

Also, since I re-took several of the pre-req courses, do dental schools factor in both grades to my science gpa or does the second grade replace the first? Or are some dental schools different than others? (Is there a special way to calculate your science gpa? Or is it just the normal way, factoring in science and math classes only?) It's my understanding that AADSAS does this part for you, but does anyone know of any websites that are helpful with this type of thing? Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks guys! Here's to hoping :xf:

Hello. Unfortunately there is no grade replacement, but AADSAS count all the grades and attemps. The way dental schools take into consideration are relatively same, except that some schools calculate grades with + and - (A+=4.33, A-=3.67while some others calculate by letter grades only A=4, B=3 , etc)
Usually, there are 4 different types of gpa. BCP (bio, chem, phys) gpa, science gpa (bcp+other science courses, including math and non bcp science classes i.e. nutrition), non science gpa and overall gpa. Sorry I have no idea about the website. I just used excel to calculate.
I've been in your shoes (actually worse) and I retook all my prereqs (not proud ). The best way is to either make a phone appointment for admission advice and discuss your situation. Certain schools won't like about the fact that you are not having full time student (taking 3 science or more) per term for 3~4 consecutive terms, so before you go any further, call them and ask them how they think you are doing.
As far as DAT, I think I did ok, but one of the interviewers straight forward told me I got an interview invite because of my DAT scores lol..
How many new classes have you taken besides retaking prereqs?
Find out if schools that you are interested in advice you to take more upper level bio classes before you apply. You don't want to spend thousands of dollars if they tell you, your chances are slim.
Also some schools do notice the upward trend of grades.
And if they think you have a shot or you decide to apply, please apply early as possible
best luck.

Hello!

I'm hoping to go to dental school in the future, but with my 2.46 undergrad gpa, I know I NEED to do a post-bac program. The only post-bac program I know of is SFSU's. Can someone please share their knowledge of other post-bac programs? I would greatly appreciate it!

Please and thank you! :oops:

Hello!

I'm hoping to go to dental school in the future, but with my 2.46 undergrad gpa, I know I NEED to do a post-bac program. The only post-bac program I know of is SFSU's. Can someone please share their knowledge of other post-bac programs? I would greatly appreciate it!

Please and thank you! :oops:

CSU-East bay, CSULA pre-health postbac.

Unfortunately with 2.46 gpa, it will be very hard to gain admission to formal postbac. Usually they ask minimum 2.5 gpa. IMO, in order to gain admission to formal postbac, you would need a good DAT (19) and improve your GPA.
Once you are done with that, you could apply one of SFSU, CSUEB, CSULA or apply for special masters program (master programs that are usually 1 year or 2 year, where you can take classes with med or dental students).
Couple that I know are: Western U biomedical, Barry, Midwestern, VCU.
To find more info, you can either look up into postbac forum or google them. Some of them, such as SFSU-dental postbac has linkage with dental schools, so if you do well in those formal postbacs, you are guaranteed with an interview.
Best luck.

Hello LauRDH. Without stats (ogpa, bcp GPA, science GPA and DAT) it's hard to estimate. You sure have amazing extracurricular and dental experience. What were your grades since you went back to school full time?
You want to have 2~3 science professor LOR and 1 dentist (it's ok to get 2 from dentists). If you research DAT discussion , people advice against kaplan course (too expensive and people get higher scores using cheaper resources).

Right now my cumulative gpa is a 3.1 SGPA 2.8. My remaining 5 classes are all sciences (I am enrolled in 3 sciences now so technically I have 8 total classes to add into my gpa). Haven't taken the DAT yet.

CSU-East bay, CSULA pre-health postbac.

Unfortunately with 2.46 gpa, it will be very hard to gain admission to formal postbac. Usually they ask minimum 2.5 gpa. IMO, in order to gain admission to formal postbac, you would need a good DAT (19) and improve your GPA.
Once you are done with that, you could apply one of SFSU, CSUEB, CSULA or apply for special masters program (master programs that are usually 1 year or 2 year, where you can take classes with med or dental students).
Couple that I know are: Western U biomedical, Barry, Midwestern, VCU.
To find more info, you can either look up into postbac forum or google them. Some of them, such as SFSU-dental postbac has linkage with dental schools, so if you do well in those formal postbacs, you are guaranteed with an interview.
Best luck.
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Do you think applying to masters programs is an option for me? Or does your advice apply to masters programs as well - do well on the DATs and raise my gpa?

Right now my cumulative gpa is a 3.1 SGPA 2.8. My remaining 5 classes are all sciences (I am enrolled in 3 sciences now so technically I have 8 total classes to add into my gpa). Haven't taken the DAT yet.

Assuming you had good gpa since you went back to school (3.7+), definitely give it a shot. Just to remind you (and obvious with common sense), you need to kill DAT (21+ min). Maybe look up the username R3DUCE? I think she had similar stats and got in (if not, I'm sorry). Start picking schools that you would like attend and call them for more specific advice.

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Do you think applying to masters programs is an option for me? Or does your advice apply to masters programs as well - do well on the DATs and raise my gpa?

I just checked VCU and Western program for their graduate level certificate/masters. They both require 3.0 minimum. I believe you could be looking at 2+ year plan. 1st year raise your gpa to above 3.0 by taking upper level biology classes, take DAT,etc. 2nd year get into masters and finish strong.
With strong DAT (21+), you could apply between those two years.

Assuming you had good gpa since you went back to school (3.7+), definitely give it a shot. Just to remind you (and obvious with common sense), you need to kill DAT (21+ min). Maybe look up the username R3DUCE? I think she had similar stats and got in (if not, I'm sorry). Start picking schools that you would like attend and call them for more specific advice.

Well thank you for the advice! I plan on killing the DAT for sure, as well as the rest of my coursework. I do not want to have to do a post bac!!!

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking in this forum here for the past 3 years wondering when it will be my turn. Well, I got accepted to dental school today after two years of applying to 15+ schools. My undergrad GPA definitely hindered me the first time I applied - and I'm currently in a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program. I would say that doing the masters program significantly helped my chances, since that's the only thing I did differently from my app last year. I only got one interview this cycle and succeeded, but I'm still waiting for 5 schools since my file is still under review.

DON'T GIVE UP. If you want it badly enough, you will be successful.

And thank you for everyone's support and encourage on this thread.

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking in this forum here for the past 3 years wondering when it will be my turn. Well, I got accepted to dental school today after two years of applying to 15+ schools. My undergrad GPA definitely hindered me the first time I applied - and I'm currently in a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program. I would say that doing the masters program significantly helped my chances, since that's the only thing I did differently from my app last year. I only got one interview this cycle and succeeded, but I'm still waiting for 5 schools since my file is still under review.

Hey Congrats on getting in!.
Could you specify your app such as GPA,DAT and ECs?

Hey guys could you help point me in the direction of some post-bacc or master programs in the northeast? I have a sub 3.0 sGPA and a 3.2 GPA overall in Biology. Thanks!

Hey Congrats on getting in!.
Could you specify your app such as GPA,DAT and ECs?

My science GPA after one semester of masters is 3.01; DAT is 21 AA/ 20TS; I have over 500 hours of community service and 1000+hours shadowing different dentists and working as a receptionist/dental assistant for a year.

Hi Everyone!

Congrats and thanks for the encouragement!
I'm currently in an SMP right now and will be applying this cycle and hoping it's THE cycle for me! :)

Can I just pop in really quickly to say I'm so glad I found this thread since the last few weeks have just been hearing about other people getting accepted to dental school, and having people in my life try to tell me sideways to give up on going to dental school.

I just laid in bed before work yesterday thinking about if I was good enough to ever get in and this thread is giving me LIFE. Now I'm sure if I turn this ship around and put in an extra year or two I can achieve my dreams, thanks everyone for sharing!

Hey guys, long time lurker, finally coming out because I could use some advice. I'll be graduating this spring and don't know what to do!!!

oGPA 2.8 and sGPA 2.8 (taking 4/5 science classes this spring so hopefully it will go up) and taking Biochem this summer. I'm currently applying to my school's prehealth post bacc program but they require a 3.0, I threw in my application just to see what would happen but to be honest I'm not really expecting to get in.

I have a lot of extra curriculars, President of a Fraternity on campus, NCAA athlete 2/4 years, 100+ hours hospital volunteer, General dentist and Endodontist shadowing 40+ hours each, EMT-B certified and I just started training at my mom's office (she's a dentist) as a Dental Assistant.

I haven't taken the DAT yet, but assuming I don't get into my schools post bacc program should I start studying for that this summer? work and reapply to the postbacc? or keep taking classes as an undergraduate to boost my gpa (retake classes)? The only thing is I don't want to put the time into the DAT and take it knowing I wont be able to use my scores for a couple years until I'm competitive enough.

Hey all,

It's good to post in this forum. I just had consultation with my pre-health advisor and it was one of the most depressing experiences I've ever had. These are my stats:
science DAT average:19
PAT DAT: 17
Undergraduate sGPA: 2.91
Ungergraduate GPA: 3.01
Enrolled in Pharmacy Program
Graduate sGPA: 3.4
Graduate CumGPA: 3.6
Dental Shadowing hours: 600+ hours

*I enrolled in pharmacy program for the wrong reasons and finally manned up to pursue dentistry.

Advisor pretty much said don't even bother applying because my stats are so bad that the adcoms would dump my app in the trash. It left me speechless how rude she was. I wouldn't even bother with my health professions office but I was told that the committee letter is was very important. I guess we will see how it goes in the upcoming app cycle. I'm definitely going to retake my DATs. Anyone have any suggestions or in the same situation?

Hey all,

It's good to post in this forum. I just had consultation with my pre-health advisor and it was one of the most depressing experiences I've ever had. These are my stats:

*I enrolled in pharmacy program for the wrong reasons and finally manned up to pursue dentistry.

Advisor pretty much said don't even bother applying because my stats are so bad that the adcoms would dump my app in the trash. It left me speechless how rude she was. I wouldn't even bother with my health professions office but I was told that the committee letter is was very important. I guess we will see how it goes in the upcoming app cycle. I'm definitely going to retake my DATs. Anyone have any suggestions or in the same situation?

Sorry that happened to you, sounds pretty rough :/
For undergrad and DAT AA I have very similar to you and I'm in a masters program right now... so that's scaring me! Hopefully others in a similar situation have better news for us!

Hey all,

Your stats aren't bad. The undergrad GPAs aren't a bit low, but the fact that your pharm GPA is high is a really good thing. I think you should retake the DAT and apply. You can also chance it and not retake the DAT and just apply ASAP when the cycle opens in early June. I know of someone who dropped out of pharm school after a year and went to dental school instead. Don't listen to your advisor. Plenty of people with slightly sub 3.0 GPAs from undergrad succeed. My advice is don't quit pharm school. Apply and see what happens.

FYI, the average AA for matriculating students last year was 20...

So many nights laying in bed unable to sleep because of I felt that my goals were unattainable, so many times thinking this test will be the end all, and leaving as a failure only to have my dreams haunt me back. I haven't ever posted on this thread but I have been a constant viewer the last two years and though that I would share my story of failure, hope and success. Half way through my B.S. I left school, with little more that a 2.0 GPA and a few failures, entirely drained by the shear fact that I did not posses the fortitude to withstand the battering of college. I picked up various jobs, worked hard, made more money than I'd ever seen but I hated what I was doing and knew I wanted something more. This realization came to full fruition after falling two stories onto a concrete floor at my job, breaking multiple bones and a revolving back injury.
OK, you might be wondering why I started this post saying that this was a story of hope, and it IS! The fall must have knocked some neuron lose because while recovering I had a long discussion with a dentist that would change my life. I went back to school armed with a new found furor, the next four semesters were more than I could expected of myself (GPA-3.3,3.5,3.75,4.0). I spent over 120 hrs. shadowing over the two years and volunteering when I could pull my head out of the books (red cross, free dental clinic, church, clubs). After graduating I had pulled up my GPA to a 2.91 ogpa and a 2.95 sgpa, I know this is poor but in the end I was proud to be done.
That summer I set aside two months to study for the DAT, up at 7am and study till 8pm, sleep and do it again on every day except Sunday. That July i left the nerve-racking testing center with a 21aa, 21ts, and a 26pat (sadly an 18Qr). I then proceeded to apply to over 15 schools, and only received an interview at one (But all it takes is one I thought). I woke up early for interview day, ran over my answers,why I wanted this so much and soon found myself in a disheartening nightmare. Mr X. why did you get an F here, Mr. X why did you have a W here, Mr. X I don't think you have what it takes to handle dental school, and Mr. X you are not answering the question I asked.
BOMB, I had just blew my first and only interview that cycle. I ran home with my tail tucked between my legs like the nerd that just had his glasses broke by the school ground bully. Fast forward two years, after acing a 1 yr master program at the same school as the dental school I wanted to attend, I heard back from my number one school with an interview offer. I prepared different this time, if I was going get dragged through the mud this time I was bringing the biggest super soaker richy rich has never even seen. To my absolute pleasure, not one question about my past short-comings, only about my future (expect for one off the cuff calculus question, if you are going to tell the interviewer you did well in a class, be ready to show it). One month later an invite to be on the schools waitlist and after multiple phone calls and thank you letters, I got the call.
So like I said earlier this was a story about success or more specifically a story about the opportunity to succeed. It was 2004 when I first started my secondary ed, and I will be attending my dream school next year with little over a 3.0GPA and a gunner attitude because I know that no failure, adviser or interviewer can tell me no I cannot.
To every one out there that has this dream, push on and you will meet your goals (even if they take you twice as long). And as one professor told me, if you screw up in your undergrad, some where along the line you WILL pay for it, I did with time, money and moving across the country. GOOD LUCK
Lastly if I may share two pieces of advice:
1. I have never agreed with the shotgun approach in dental school applications for applicants with lower GPAs, get intimate with the schools you want to attend, meet the dean of admissions, take the admission clerk to dinner (JK, but you get what I'm insinuating), attend pre-dental events at the school, and if possible volunteer at that dental schools mercy missions. As the number of apps with masters rises it not enough to ace some extra courses and expect to hear from a school if they don't know you.
2. Nothing helped me more than my supporting wife and family. Remember where you come from and thank them for the sacrifices they made for you and blessings will find you.
Feel free to PM me

Last edited:
FYI, the average AA for matriculating students last year was 20...

FYI, the minimum DAT AA for matriculating students in the past 3 years has been 12, 13 and 13 (2010, 2011, 2012). That means someone somewhere each of these years has gotten in with a 12, 13, and a 13 average.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=992270

In 1998 I took the DAT cold-turkey (no studying) in between my sophomore and junior undergad years (Biology major at the time) and scored a 15 AA. Out of curiosity, and for experience (I had already amassed 240 hours of shadowing), I applied to 7 schools, received 2 interviews, and one wait list (I withdrew as I didn't feel ready for early-entry) - at VCU.

I know the stats for a "reputable" dental school do show minimums of 17, 18, or 19 (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=901073), but there are cases to be made for people having gotten in on much less, and at pretty good schools (Arizona accepted a 13-AA applicant!).

Nice. I have around a 3.1 sGPA and 13 years of engineering experience behind me, so I'm shooting for at LEAST a 20-21 on the DAT. Actually, I'm shooting for a 25, but realistically hope for a 20!

Good luck with your Case results! Let us know if you get in!

A.

Idahotooth congrats!!! I hope to get in as well this new cycle.

Anyone know anyone who got in with no post bacc and gpa below 3.0

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

I'm sure there has been but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

BCP 2.78
science 2.93
non-science 4.04
overall 3.2

DAT
science 19, PAT 21, RC 20, Q 19

i have a lot of extra-curriculars and job-shadowing

What are my chances, should i do a masters? or just stay an extra year and improve my gpa

BCP 2.78
science 2.93
non-science 4.04
overall 3.2

DAT
science 19, PAT 21, RC 20, Q 19

i have a lot of extra-curriculars and job-shadowing

What are my chances, should i do a masters? or just stay an extra year and improve my gpa

To be honest its pretty slim, very little people get in with sub3.0s.

I'd say stay an extra year and only take science classes. A semester of only sci classes will give your sciGPA a good boost. I recommend playing around on a GPA calculator.

Also if you think/feel you can do better on the DAT then you should retake. My GPAs are roughly similar to yours so I worked extra hard to get a high DAT to make up for the low GPA I have. If you do retake aim for a 22 or more.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can please tell me what gpa calculator to calculate the science grades. Also, are retaken grades averaged together such as one class was 4.0 and another 2.0, would the gpa for this one be (4+2)/8 or do they take each grade individually such as putting in the science gpa both the 4.0 for one chemistry class and a 2.0 for the same chemistry class. Thanks for your time :)

Anybody know of good Masters programs that dental schools like to see? Also where they are offered?

Thanks!

Just wanted to let people know that I had a terrible sci GPA in undergrad (due to non-academic related problems). I think I barely had a 3.0 but then I did a master's where I had between a 3.5-3.6 and I got into a school recently and waitlisted at 2 others! It took 2 years out of college but i did it!! If I can, with my situations, then anyone can!! Good luck to everyone <3

I'm very thankful for this thread bc it has given me insight and further motivation upon reaching my dreams. Now I will get straight into the point.

My stats:
sGPA: 2.8
oGPA: 3.02

DAT:
20AA, 19TS, 22 PAT but.....17 bio..
19QR, 19RC

I applied 3 times so far with no interviews and have taken the DAT 3x as well (I think the max number of times I can take it). The bio was really weird bc on my first test i got 21, and my second test 22, but the 3rd they changed up the way they asked the questions so it did catch me off guard.

I know my GPA is not good and my DAT is probably only avg but I need advice what to do next if I don't get in this cycle (since it's really late into the cycle anyway). I have about 55 hours of shadowing/assisting and and currently doing community service at church. I applied to the post-program at SFSU hoping to improve my GPA but I did apply late for that as well.

I'm a little burnt out after applying 3 cycles and taking the DAT 3x and am pretty de-sensitized from all those rejection letters. Fresh advice and what to do from here would be really helpful. Are there any other good post-bac programs you guys recommend? Should community services be more towards health oriented? rather than like church? I don't think I'm going to apply this upcoming cycle bc I feel that I need a major improvement even to be interviewed. Thanks in advance!

Get a masters!!! Show you can handle graduate level courses. In addition, call dental admission officers and ask what they suggest and keep in touch. Shows interest!