The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any good news yet anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experiences with the SFSU AET Formal Postbac?

My story:

Graduated June 2014 with a 2.71 overall, not sure about my science GPA but I know it's about the same. Low GPA was mostly due to immaturity and bad study habits.
Had 100 hours of shadowing from an internship and was part of a pre-dental society.

After graduating, decided I didn't have the stats for dental school so I looked for jobs instead.
Currently a lab tech at UCSF with my name on multiple publications and access to people who can write me strong LORs.
Over the past year after more shadowing and talks with my PI and some advisors, have decided that dental school is actually what I want to do.
I've been studying for the DAT and am hoping to take it around January and I know that I need to kill it.

The only viable path that I see for myself is to apply for the SFSU postbac because it's the only one I'm eligible for with my low GPA. Has anyone else had a similar GPA to mine, gone to the postbac, and had success with interviews/acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a masters right after i graduated from college. I did the program offered at Rutgers University-- Master of Biomedical Science

Can you explain the timeline of your dental school admissions process? Also, I might be attending the masters program at UMDNJ, how rigorous was it and is a high GPA definitely doable?

Reactions: 1 user
I did a masters right after i graduated from college. I did the program offered at Rutgers University-- Master of Biomedical Science

Did you commute from NYC? or are you a jersey resident? (Sorry I hope this is not a redundant question, I can't see your profile stats bc I'm on the app right now)

i graduated college in 3.5 years (1 semester early) in March 2013 and started the program at Rutgers August 2013. I did the program in 1.5 years and finished in December 2014/January 2015. I took my DAT again may 2015. Applied June 2015 again and so far have gotten 1 interview, I'm still waiting on 13 other schools. The program at Rutgers is really good. certain classes are harder than others but if you attend the classes, pay attention, and study for exams getting a high GPA is definetly doable. Just make sure to pick a mixture of hard and medium classes and don't pack all the super hard ones into one semester. for example oral microbiology (a dental school course) requires a lot of time and studying but oral immunology doesn't require as much time for studying. It all mostly depends on the professor for the class and the teaching/testing styles. hope this helped!

Yes, that was really helpful! Also, it is possible to apply to dental school without the completion of the program in order to save another missed year of dental school?

yeah i actually applied after 2 semesters in the summer of 2014 before i finished the program which is what most people in the program did, unforuntately i didn't get in but i think retaking the dat and having more classes will help me now. if you can compile a strong application after 2 semesters of the program go for it!! most of the people in my program got it in and were able to finish in the winter, have a few months to themselves and then start dental school in the summer so they didn't waste a a year like meeee
I just got accepted to the Rutgers Newark MBS program for January. I was wondering if you could give me some info on what courses to take for the spring 2016 semester. What courses should I stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.

I just got accepted to the Rutgers Newark MBS program for January. I was wondering if you could give me some info on what courses to take for the spring 2016 semester. What courses should I stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you take Oral Microbiology and Oral Immunology for dental classes. I also heard Dental Biochemistry is not as intense as everyone describes. I didn't take the class but a friend of mine took the class and says that it is on par with Fundamentals A. If I do the program over again I would take Dental Biochemistry instead of Fundamentals A.

Other classes to take are Fundamentals B, Gene Expression, Virology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Bioinformatics. You can definitely ace these classes if you study well and don't slack off. I also heard that Dental materials classes are not too difficult. Sign up for Dental Materials classes early if you can since there only few seats available for GSBS students.

The only class that I suggest to stay away is Hematopoietic Stem Cells. I had bad experience with this class.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've read this entire thread which spark the even slightest chance and hope for anyone who has a passion for dentistry. Long story short, I transferred from a community college to a 4-year university to complete my B.S in biology in 2010. My cumulative GPA after graduating from the university is a 2.57 (yes, I know it is low to even think about dental school). After graduation, I went back to the community college to finish some classes (anatomy, microbiology, and speech) which brought my oGPA to 2.67. I have completed dental hygiene in 2014 and am looking how I can approach this. I know my choices are limited, but based on the amount of credits I have, is it still doable going through a post-bacc program or it will be a combination of post-bacc then a masters? I definitely know an impressive DAT scores will be needed. Any comments will be helpful as I am feeling lost right now.

@mrteef you might want to call few schools' admission officeS and ask regarding your situation.

Bumping for more 3.0ers to come out of the shadows.

Reactions: 4 users

I am really curious if there's anyone else with similar stats like mine this cycle... 3.0 gpa with no post-bac/masters. 1 pre-dec interview, 0 post-dec interview so far

3.0/3.1 from Michigan! Got an interview at Roseman University

Currently in a masters program in SF in case this cycle doesn't work out, but I'm excited for the chance at Roseman!

Reactions: 5 users
I have gotten 3 rejections so far and am waiting on 5 other schools. 2.99 ogpa 3.05 sgpa 19 DAT. Hopefully this academic update will help my case :)

Reactions: 2 users
I have gotten 3 rejections so far and am waiting on 5 other schools. 2.99 ogpa 3.05 sgpa 19 DAT. Hopefully this academic update will help my case :)
let me know if you get in! If you could send me a message or leave a quick response i would really appreciate it. good luck

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I feel I owe it to the community here to let you guys know that it is very possible to get into dental school with a low GPA. Never give up! Now I don't really have a crazy story, but here it is:

Graduated undergrad with a 2.91 GPA. I moved back home and took classes at my state school (informal post-bac) and knocked out A's until my cumulative GPA was a 3.0. I applied to 17 schools this cycle, and so far received one interview/one acceptance!

I do not consider myself to have any extraordinary extracurriculars or circumstances. My DAT was pretty decent, but nothing crazy like some of the other posters on this site:

PAT: 22
QR: 22
RC: 26
Bio: 19
GC: 22
OC: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22

As a pre-dent with a low GPA, I know what an emotional, uphill battle it can be throughout this process. But if you keep pushing, you WILL get there. Best of luck.

Do you mind telling me where you got in?

I have a 2.96 ogpa a 3.06 sgpa and a 3.15 bcp

DAT was a 21 AA 22 TS 20 bio 24 orgo 23 gc 19 PAT 19 QR 18 Rc

got 4 pre december interviews

have been waitlisted at all four so far.

Wish me luck!

Reactions: 10 users

Wish me luck!
Which schools if you don't mind me asking?

Wish me luck!
Nice! Good luck!

I graduated undergrad with a degree in microbiology from University of Wisconsin-Madison with oGPA of 2.99, sGPA of 2.89 BCP of 2.83. I am currently getting my Master's in Microbiology (2 year program) and will graduate with hopefully a 3.5 I have about 50 hours of shadowing and currently volunteer as a dental assistant at a local free dental clinic. By the time I apply to dental school (upcoming cycle), I will have about 150 hours of dental assisting completed. Since the beginning of undergrad, I have 250+ hours of volunteering that are not dental related (mainly volunteering at elementary schools or Boys and Girls Club) Also, I am technically a Canadian citizen, but have grown up in the US.
My DAT scores are:
AA: 20
TS:19
Bio: 21
GC: 19
OC: 17 :(
RC: 23
PAT: 24
QR: 21

What are my chances? What should I do in the upcoming few months to better my chances? I am thinking I will do some more shadowing to get my hours up to 100. My GPA is low, but I am hoping that my higher GPA in my master's program will help me. My DAT isn't anything special, but it isn't bad either! Also, I have worked in a research lab for 3+ years, but have not gotten anything published. I really don't know what else I should do. Also, this was my 3rd time taking the DAT so I don't have time to waste. I got a 19 both of the times prior. I calculated my best average of the 3 to be 21, but I don't think any schools really do that.

under 3.0 acceptance TODAY to LECOM:):):banana::love::luck::xf:

sgpa: 2.81
BCP: 2.85
Overall GPA: 3.02
non science: 3.62
DAT: 22AA/23TS

its been a long journey guys but IM ROOTING FOR THE UNDER 3.0 CLUB!!!!!

Have you done anything to improve your app? or Was this stat straight out of graduation?

Just got that email too!! Have you scheduled a date yet?

I managed to catch them before they left. Scheduled my interview for January 15th!

20AA/21TS/18RC/26PAT
gpa is 3.0 for both overall and science :(

What are my chances?