The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.....This is encouraging...knowing other people are in the same boat....I was searching the PreDent.com site and guess what I found.......During the 2007 cycle someone got accepted to Meharry with a 2.6/2.5. I dont know how truthful that is...but makes me feel a whole lot better hahahhaha Theres HOPE!!!!!!!!!

Because that's Meharry. They have some of the lowest GPA acceptance rates of any school. Its also minority school.

Hi Shortset,
What steps did you take to get in? Were you in contact with someone from the admissions committee?

Sorry for such a late response. Dental school has been very demanding since the 1st day. What did I do to get in? I did pretty much the same things that most pre-dents do. You have to be persistent about your application. Yes, I knew a couple of the ADCOMS at some of the schools I had applied to. The only way that I knew them was because I would speak to them when they came to my undergrad for grad school fairs. I would introduce myself, tell them a little about my situation and try get insight from them about my app. package. I started that my freshman year, so I was able to build relationships with them. They also used to come to our pre-dental club meetings and I could get more personal attention from them then.

I would say it is very adventageous to get to know someone on an ADCOM so they can put a face with an application when it comes across their desk. It can only help you in the long run when they are trying to make a decision between 2 candidates and they have some history with you to make a better decision on. Send me a pm if you have anymore questions cause I don't stay on this site that much anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because that's Meharry. They have some of the lowest GPA acceptance rates of any school. Its also minority school.

I think a lot of sub 3.0 applicants would be more than happy to get into any dental school, even Meharry. Even if the scores may be lower than others, it is still competitive and they still reject a lot of people. As a reapplicant I'd be excited to get into Meharry, better than spending more time and more money to reapply in the future. After 4 years, you are still a dentist, no matter where you graduate from; what matters is how you treat your patients.

Another sub-3.0er sneaks in to D school :cool::cool:

Its possible!!! I flipping did it.

My story in a nut shell.

Undergrad at CSUF - B.S. in CompSci - 2.8 GPA
Preq all at OCC (community college) - 3.8 GPA and TAed for all the science classes I took.
Many many hours of volunteering and shadowing at a dental clinic.
DAT - 20/21/21

applied twice.. first time to 17 schools and this time to 25 schools.

Don't give up guys! I am sooo excited right now.. I am going to be a tooth Dr. :laugh:

got questions.. ask away..

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I'm still hoping for this cycle, although it doesn't look so good, still no interviews... So what school(s) did you get accepted into?

Congrats! I'm still hoping for this cycle, although it doesn't look so good, still no interviews... So what school(s) did you get accepted into?

NYU... Good luck!!

I’m trying really hard to hold it together. I admit, I Bombed my DAT test. I know I can do better and will take them again once my 90 day period is up in this month. My problem is I’m getting rejection letters from the schools, before I even had the chance to take the DAT. I did email all the schools I applied to informing them I would be retaking the DATs, and I put it on the AADSAS app.

I have emailed the schools that I have received these letters from.
What do I do now?
Is it over for me getting into dental school for this fall?
What are some alternatives if I don’t get in this coming year?
I know NOVA has a Masters program that offers to transfer you to their dental program after a year. Calling it the “ 5 year program” Are there any other schools that do that?

I have no one to ask these questions to. Hopefully someone can help me take a deep breath and figure out what I need to do, and how I can get to my goal. I cant be the only one ever to be in this boat.

The up side I am not going to give up.

Someone PLEASE help me.

SMB

I joined this forum for support and to give some too.

Hello Everyone!!!
First off I want to say this club is very informative and helpful. I am new to this website and hope to learn a lot from you guys as I am already. I am a third year undergrad. student from california, and I am already having problems with my gpa...mainly grades from my science courses. I have recieved D's in two of my intoductory biology classes and one from gen. chem. I have no volunteer or work experiences as of right now, and I have recently joined a pre-dental club. I have not taken my DAT yet, and have not signed up for it yet. Basically I am very concern about what I should do with my college career right now. I am very lost, mainly because of my grades and work experiences. I am absolutely sure that no dental school would accept me as of right now. I understand that most dental school look at what classes I have taken. As of right now, I do not want my gpa to drop any more than it is now so I've decided to stay with 13 units. So my question is, what do you think I should do? Should I focus more on my grades? Take more units? Have some work experiences? Also, I am very clueless about a postbac or the other master program. Can you please tell me more about it? Does it matter where I take this program? Sorry for the long post and questions, I have no one to ask but you guys. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello Everyone!!!
First off I want to say this club is very informative and helpful. I am new to this website and hope to learn a lot from you guys as I am already. I am a third year undergrad. student from california, and I am already having problems with my gpa...mainly grades from my science courses. I have recieved D's in two of my intoductory biology classes and one from gen. chem. I have no volunteer or work experiences as of right now, and I have recently joined a pre-dental club. I have not taken my DAT yet, and have not signed up for it yet. Basically I am very concern about what I should do with my college career right now. I am very lost, mainly because of my grades and work experiences. I am absolutely sure that no dental school would accept me as of right now. I understand that most dental school look at what classes I have taken. As of right now, I do not want my gpa to drop any more than it is now so I've decided to stay with 13 units. So my question is, what do you think I should do? Should I focus more on my grades? Take more units? Have some work experiences? Also, I am very clueless about a postbac or the other master program. Can you please tell me more about it? Does it matter where I take this program? Sorry for the long post and questions, I have no one to ask but you guys. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Figure out what you're doing wrong and commit to changing. Focus your energy on school, aim for a 4.0 and try to show a positive trend. If you're really in the hole gpa-wise, then you can consider a post bacc or SMP. Read the sticky over on the post bacc forum, it should answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
how influential are letters from political figures. I have one from the office of a congress woman. Do you think this will be influential? im dying to get in this cycle!!!! I have to retake my DATs and have a strong post bacc gpa. but my undergrad was bad... 2.5 :(

i have 10 + years exp, community service, etc.

Bumping the underdog thread.:thumbup:

hi! I'm new at this... but i was just wondering. What do you do if your gpa is too low to even get into a post-doc program? Possibly doing really really well on the DATs and taking extra courses the only option in getting into a post-doc? :(

hi! I'm new at this... but i was just wondering. What do you do if your gpa is too low to even get into a post-doc program? Possibly doing really really well on the DATs and taking extra courses the only option in getting into a post-doc? :(

Take courses a la carte. Register as a nondegree student and take courses. If you ace the courses then doors will begin opening for you.

Take courses a la carte. Register as a nondegree student and take courses. If you ace the courses then doors will begin opening for you.

Just what you need to do. Register as a nondegree student will allow you to add to your undegrad gpa boosting your application.

I've posted elsewhere but only read this particular thread. Now that I'm headed to d-school I'll let you in on my journey......

4 years ago I first applied to dental school with a cumulative gpa 2.96 sci 2.99. I was like everyone else with low stats unfocused and immature. I wasted my first 2.5 years in college just getting by with Cs, Ds and a few Bs. I finally grew up and found that my career desires lay with dentistry. My first application was for the class starting 2004. I finished my last two years of my degree strong all As and Bs in all upper levels needed for my Bio degree and took that to the next level for the past two years. 3.8 gpa over the last two years taking only upper level sciences. 12-15 hours a semester of upper levels with only two Bs raised my overall to just under 3.4. Studied hard for the DAT and continued to add to my dental experience as a dental assistant, mission trips, and working as a research assistant during this application cycle.

If you want to become a dentist and your stats are low, the only thing stopping you is YOU. Obviously the lower the stats the longer you will have to go back to school and KICK A$$ in all of your classes but it can be done. You need to ask you self if you really want to become a dentist and ask your self are you willing to sacrifice the few years in order to make it happen.

Good luck to all of you who are in my place for years ago. What ever you choose dentistry or not, give it your all!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight. I graduated from UC Davis about a year ago with a BS. To say that my undergraduate transcript is a disaster would be an understatement. There are a variety of factors that contributed, but the biggest is probably a lack of motivation and any type of goal orientation. I graduated with an overall GPA of 2.5. This is a miracle in itself because Davis allows up to 15 units of retake units. So about 5 F's aren't contributing to the already low GPA. A rough calculation of my science gpa in college including all retakes was an unthinkable GPA of 1.6. I started to get my act together during my 4th year and averaged about 20 units a quarter with a 3.0 gpa. When I came home, I started to realize how big of a crater I had dug myself in and started taking classes at a local state university. So far, i've retaken about 40 units of prerequisite science classes with a GPA of 4.0. I plan to apply during next years cycle and was wondering if I have any chance at all. If I keep up the 4.0 while completing all my prerequisites my overall science gpa will be around 2.7. I recently took a practice DAT and had average scores of around 20-23. Is there any hope for me? I'm planning to apply to about 20-25 schools next year. If I don't get into any of those schools i'm planning on applying to a formal post bac program. I have over 200 hours of volunteer/observation hours at 3 different dental offices.

Please respond with anything that might help. Thank you

I pretty much went down the same road except I worked for 3 years before going back to take science prereqs. My undergrad overall gpa was around 2.6 and my science gpa (none of which were pre reqs) was just as horrendous. After completing the prereqs with close to a 4.0 gpa in a year my overall ended up as 2.98 on my app. You'll probably have about the same amount of vol/observ hours as I have once you apply next year. 21/20/21 DAT and I got accepted to one of my state schools already and another interview coming up. However, I havent gotten any love from the out of state schools I applied to :rolleyes:. You definitely have a chance so stay focused and motivated. I doubt you'll have to apply to a formal post bac program. Good luck!

Hey fellas, I know you guys have heard a million situations from other viewers about WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW. So i'm going to make it brief, I use to be a pre-med, but recently I have found more of an interest in Dentisry. This is my last semester, at my current University, however I am considering of staying another year. My science gpa is 2.4 and I am considering on retaking 4 classes, which would raise my science gpa right on the 3.0 border or actually slightly above it, in the range of 3.0-3.2. Now if I retake 4 classes, is that ok, or is that going to make my application even worse? Also, is going for an SMP going to help me, or a masters of some sort? Or should I graduate this semester, and than do a post-bacc? What would be the best option?

i graduated from stony brook in may with a cum of 2.78. This fall i took Biochem , dev bio and cell bio and got a 3.88. I am taking full course load of sciences this spring. Do i have a chance to get in when i apply in june assuming i do well again? should i retake the dats?
aa 20
ts 21
pat 19
bio 21
gchem 19
ochem 23
rc 20
qr 17

I've been visiting this forum for three years now! My GPA is a 3.01 from my undergrad days. Got a second degree in a one-year accelarated med tech course. THis allowed my to bump the GPA, though I don't recommend my course of action. Most of those courses wouldn't reflect in my overall GPA. DAT's were average 19/21. Even spent two months in the Dominican Republic doing dental mission work with Creighton. Been trying to keep a real job all the while. This is my third and final application year. Going to the Big Easy to be an LSU dent. Keep fighting the good fight.

I am planning on retaking some classes, but does dental school average out the 2 grades, or do they replace the second grade with the first grade? How do dental schools deal with retakes?

I am planning on retaking some classes, but does dental school average out the 2 grades, or do they replace the second grade with the first grade? How do dental schools deal with retakes?

They both get averaged out. The best way to overcome such a situation is retake the courses you did poorly and then take the upper level courses.

Since I am one class away from completing my degree in Humanities, what if I did another major in chemistry or biology, and perform well in those majors. It can increase my undergrad gpa which is a plus, but would schools be concerned with the fact that I stayed an extra year in undergrad to complete another major? Would it look good or bad?

Hey fellas, I know you guys have heard a million situations from other viewers about WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW. So i'm going to make it brief, I use to be a pre-med, but recently I have found more of an interest in Dentisry. This is my last semester, at my current University, however I am considering of staying another year. My science gpa is 2.4 and I am considering on retaking 4 classes, which would raise my science gpa right on the 3.0 border or actually slightly above it, in the range of 3.0-3.2. Now if I retake 4 classes, is that ok, or is that going to make my application even worse? Also, is going for an SMP going to help me, or a masters of some sort? Or should I graduate this semester, and than do a post-bacc? What would be the best option?

Since I am one class away from completing my degree in Humanities, what if I did another major in chemistry or biology, and perform well in those majors. It can increase my undergrad gpa which is a plus, but would schools be concerned with the fact that I stayed an extra year in undergrad to complete another major? Would it look good or bad?

Do not graduate. Attempt a double major with a BS in Bio. You'll need the extra courses to boost your gpa. I am guessing your looking at at least 2 years of courses getting tons of As. 2.4 sci will not prove to the adcoms that you can handle the dental school curriculum. Retake any sciences that you made less than a B. Take upper levels that coincide with years 1 and 2 of dental school. Don't apply until you have a nice history of good grades at the back end of your transcript. Also you need to be adding tons of extracurriculars to you application. Good luck, you have a long road ahead of you but if you want to become a dentist bad enough you can make it happen!

I did computer science with 2.9 gpa and took all my prerequesite and also the recommended courses. i apply with a dat of 20/21/22 last year and did not get accepted to any, i'm currently in the master program and my gpa in the master is currently 3.5. however, i'm not getting any luck this year neither. i'll finish the master program before the next year cycle. Do you guys think i should retake the DAT again? some school dont' want DAT score longer than 2 years. my overall GPA is 3.02 now.

It is very possible to apply and get interviews with a low GPA!

I went to the University of Virginia for undergrad and had a 2.7. After I graduated I continued to take classes at Old Dominion and have a 4.0 there (all upper level sciences). My DAT scores were 19/17/19 (a 16 in orgo but a 25 in RC!) This is my 2nd time applying and I was flat out rejected everywhere last year but with a few more classes under my belt I have been waitlisted at U of L and have an interview at VCU next week!

Keep trying if its what you really want to do. Don't give up.

will getting a dental hygiene certification hurt me or help me get into dental school?

I did computer science with 2.9 gpa and took all my prerequesite and also the recommended courses. i apply with a dat of 20/21/22 last year and did not get accepted to any, i'm currently in the master program and my gpa in the master is currently 3.5. however, i'm not getting any luck this year neither. i'll finish the master program before the next year cycle. Do you guys think i should retake the DAT again? some school dont' want DAT score longer than 2 years. my overall GPA is 3.02 now.

They will notice your separate graduate GPA which would put you more on a level playing field if you have to apply next year. You may have to retake the DAT since the scores are only good for 2 yrs but since you did well the first time I am sure you will do well the second time too.

will getting a dental hygiene certification hurt me or help me get into dental school?

Why will it hurt you? You can work as a hygienist while you are working on your goal to get into dental school. If anything it might reinforce your interest in dentistry. I've talked to dental assistants who were interested in going into dental school.

If you went out and worked as a hygienist for a while, it may be a plus.

If you were applying to dental school while in hygiene school, I think it would hurt you. I think they'd be a little confused as to your motivations and what your real goal is. It is such a specific certificate, and to go through the whole process without using it is almost a waste of a seat for that hygiene program. I have heard similar things from the mouths of admissions people.

I'm taking 2nd half of the physics this semester. I'm also taking 3 other upper level bio classes and doing a research for credits. I'm thinking about doing Pass/Fail option for my physics class. Do you think it reflects poorly that I chose pass/fail in physics when ADCOMS review my file? I got an A in the first semester of physics but this semester it seems like professor is very difficult and I must get A's in my bio classes to put me above 3.0. What do you think?

Dental schools dont like the pass/fail system because they have no way of determining your grade. I think any dental school will tell you to take a grade for your physics class. Are you taking physics with or w/o calculus? Calculus based physics isnt necessary. Physics doesnt appear on the DAT and isnt even part of the Dental school curriculum. Good luck!

Dental schools dont like the pass/fail system because they have no way of determining your grade. I think any dental school will tell you to take a grade for your physics class. Are you taking physics with or w/o calculus? Calculus based physics isnt necessary. Physics doesnt appear on the DAT and isnt even part of the Dental school curriculum. Good luck!

No I'm just taking regular physics without calculus. If physics doesn't appear on the DATs or dental school curriculum, why would they recommend that you take it or why would they care if I did pass/fail option? just wondering.

Also, do you guys know of any schools that offer conditional admissions? I heard somewhere that some schools have programs that give you a chance by admitting you to one of the programs (master or something along that line) for one year and if you meet the GPA that they have set, you automatically get admission in dental program after that year? Is that true? if so, what is the program called and what schools offer them?

No I'm just taking regular physics without calculus. If physics doesn't appear on the DATs or dental school curriculum, why would they recommend that you take it or why would they care if I did pass/fail option? just wondering.

Don't do the pass/fail option. Dental schools won't accept it. A lot of schools specifically state on their website that you must obtain a C or better in a prerequisite. Save yourself the trouble and take physics II for a grade.

do you guys know if it makes it any easier to get in to dental school if you have LOR from one(maybe two) of the alumni of that school? i know this dentist and he said he's willing to write me a LOR. I don't know if it'll help with a low gpa of 2.9-3.0. what do you guys think?

do you guys know if it makes it any easier to get in to dental school if you have LOR from one(maybe two) of the alumni of that school? i know this dentist and he said he's willing to write me a LOR. I don't know if it'll help with a low gpa of 2.9-3.0. what do you guys think?

Well… its not going to hurt. In fact, I think this is the way to go. Most schools require a letter from a dentist, so what’s better than a quality letter from one of their own?

If you were to get a couple of these, I would choose the best to send out to all schools, since you need one dentist letter, and instead send the alumni specific ones to the corresponding schools.

I have 2 LoRs from from dentists that graduated from UOP, and 1 more pending...

do you think Pacific will take that into consideration? with a 2.9-3.0 GPA?

You had under a 3.0 when you applied?

I have 2 LoRs from from dentists that graduated from UOP, and 1 more pending...

do you think Pacific will take that into consideration? with a 2.9-3.0 GPA?

From the UOP website:
“Submit two letters of evaluation from science instructors and an additional letter from a health care professional or employer. Additional letters of evaluation from health care professionals who know you well may be submitted at your discretion.”

In my personal opinion, three from dentists may be overkill.

Will all these letters make up for low stats? I highly doubt it. The secret to UOP is rocking the DAT. They boast about having one of the highest AA average, and highest PAT average in the country. If you look at www.predents.com you can see for yourself.

Good alumni letters + high DAT + low/average GPA = good shape for UOP

Good alumni letters + low DAT+ low/average GPA = forget about it

You had under a 3.0 when you applied?

On a thread like this, with so much chatter going on, it’s best to use quotes from the person you are referring to, or mention a name.

I'm an undergrad junior Biology major with a 2.8 GPA!!!! My freshman year first semester was really rough, but every semester after that I've gone up in regards to my GPA. I wanted to raise my GPA senior year and apply then, but now I'm thinking about just taking a DAT kaplan course this semester and applying my junior year. Any advice? PLEASE HELP I'll do anything to get into a good dental school or any for that matter. Also, is one semester enough time to study for the DAT?:(
user_online.gif
progress.gif

I'm an undergrad junior Biology major with a 2.8 GPA!!!! My freshman year first semester was really rough, but every semester after that I've gone up in regards to my GPA. I wanted to raise my GPA senior year and apply then, but now I'm thinking about just taking a DAT kaplan course this semester and applying my junior year. Any advice? PLEASE HELP I'll do anything to get into a good dental school or any for that matter. Also, is one semester enough time to study for the DAT?:(
user_online.gif
progress.gif

You need to raise you GPA. It may take a year or two beyond your senior year to do it. Take the DAT but that won't change the fact that your GPA needs some serious boosting.

You need to raise you GPA. It may take a year or two beyond your senior year to do it. Take the DAT but that won't change the fact that your GPA needs some serious boosting.

What if the only red flag on your application was a low GPA (2.8) and you have perfect ECs, LoRs, DATs (22AA+/etc)? How likely is it that D-schools will look at the applicant as a whole? Especially when working to pay your own college expenses was one of the reasons for a low GPA, but graduating on time (4 years)?

hmm....

can anyone give me additional information on post-bacc programs?

Last edited: