The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't done any post-bac classes because i'm still an undergrad. I have around 100 hours now and will be graduating May 2009. But only 70 of those hours are going toward my GPA, the other 30 are from my freshman year and don't count toward my final GPA because of transferring.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't done any post-bac classes because i'm still an undergrad. I have around 100 hours now and will be graduating May 2009. But only 70 of those hours are going toward my GPA, the other 30 are from my freshman year and don't count toward my final GPA because of transferring.

When you apply to d-schools, you'll have send in all your transcripts to AADSAS for processing. So, they'll be adding up your freshman year's GPA as well. Hope that clears up some confusion. :thumbup:

Really? I had no idea! That makes me incredibly happy, thanks so much for letting me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to say something to ~3.0 gpa people. First of all, don't give up. When I applied this year, my cumulative and science gpa is around 3.1. Here is my story. I did poorly during my first 2 years in college, my average gpa was about 2.7 or so. But I worked really hard in the last 2 years and the average was about 3.6 - 3.7. During my interviews, they were very impressed at my improvements and they definitely want to see people's grade going up. This shows that the student has experienced hardships and really has the passion to be successful. For DAT, I got 21/22/19. Even though I didn't do so well in general chem and ochem in college, my DAT scores proved that I have the knowledge to be successful in D school. I ended up with 3 interviews and 1 acceptance (my #1 choice) so far.
The important thing is, before you can convince a school to accept you, you should first convince YOURSELF that you deserve to be accepted. Don't give up, people. As long as you have a strong passion for dentistry, you will succeed.

I just want to say something to ~3.0 gpa people. First of all, don't give up. When I applied this year, my cumulative and science gpa is around 3.1. Here is my story. I did poorly during my first 2 years in college, my average gpa was about 2.7 or so. But I worked really hard in the last 2 years and the average was about 3.6 - 3.7. During my interviews, they were very impressed at my improvements and they definitely want to see people's grade going up. This shows that the student has experienced hardships and really has the passion to be successful. For DAT, I got 21/22/19. Even though I didn't do so well in general chem and ochem in college, my DAT scores proved that I have the knowledge to be successful in D school. I ended up with 3 interviews and 1 acceptance (my #1 choice) so far.
The important thing is, before you can convince a school to accept you, you should first convince YOURSELF that you deserve to be accepted. Don't give up, people. As long as you have a strong passion for dentistry, you will succeed.
Very motivating!

Reactions: 1 user

I didn't do too well either in college. I worked hard in my postbacc got booted from the under 3.0 club:laugh:and got an acceptance from a state school. :D

This club is scary they boot out people for doing well. :scared:
What a bunch of communist!:laugh:

I just calculated my gpa, to see where I am at, since I am getting ready to graduate.

Let's just say I have a long road ahead of me. :(

1.0<<<<BIOCMP's GPA<<<< 3.0

I'm officially a member of this club. I currently have a 2.9 overall GPA and a 2.8 bcp gpa. I graduate this year and I can't stand the biology classes anymore. I really love chemistry but I don't see myself completing a masters in chemistry. Question is I'm a computer geek so I could complete a masters in Info Sys pretty easy. Is this a step in the wrong direction or should I try to get a masters in Biology. (doubt I'll get accepted into a masters program with a 2.8 bcp)

Also the reason I have a 2.8 bcp is because of Cs in three bio courses and getting constant Bs in everything esle. So I have a 3.1 in my prereqs without the upper level bio courses.

I'm officially a member of this club. I currently have a 2.9 overall GPA and a 2.8 bcp gpa. I graduate this year and I can't stand the biology classes anymore. I really love chemistry but I don't see myself completing a masters in chemistry. Question is I'm a computer geek so I could complete a masters in Info Sys pretty easy. Is this a step in the wrong direction or should I try to get a masters in Biology. (doubt I'll get accepted into a masters program with a 2.8 bcp)

Also the reason I have a 2.8 bcp is because of Cs in three bio courses and getting constant Bs in everything esle. So I have a 3.1 in my prereqs without the upper level bio courses.

so you hate bio and yet you want to go to dentistry? i heard the first 2 years of dental school is packed with biology courses....so i would probably do a masters in biology....

What do you all think about going to dental school overseas? Which schools would be the best to apply to?

I am freaking out again. I literally applied to one year master programs a week ago since I did not get into dental school this round. I should have never applied in the first place with a 3.0 gpa. I just have this feeling that im not going to get in. That’s why I was asking about foreign schools. I have another question.

Say if I don’t get into the master program. Can I still take the courses just not be a degree seeking student, and then reapply to the masters program? Is this a crazy question? I just don’t want to waste more time not going to school. And I dont feel like post bac is for me.

I'm applying with a sub 3.0 but my BCP is a 3.6. damn it. It is stressing. *hoping and studying for a 22-23. At 20 now*

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying with a sub 3.0 but my BCP is a 3.6. damn it. It is stressing. *hoping and studying for a 22-23. At 20 now*

This definitely falls under a oddball case. That high BCP may do wonders in your case. But go kill the DAT. :thumbup:

I am freaking out again. I literally applied to one year master programs a week ago since I did not get into dental school this round. I should have never applied in the first place with a 3.0 gpa. I just have this feeling that im not going to get in. That’s why I was asking about foreign schools. I have another question.

Say if I don’t get into the master program. Can I still take the courses just not be a degree seeking student, and then reapply to the masters program? Is this a crazy question? I just don’t want to waste more time not going to school. And I dont feel like post bac is for me.

Sure you can. If masters program are not willing to take you in maybe additional good grades will convince them that you are for real. :thumbup: Don't be so hard on yourself now you know where you stand.

i commend all you people for not giving up and letting < 3.0 bring you down...thats extra time, money, stress and commitment. ....

i commend all you people for not giving up and letting < 3.0 bring you down...thats extra time, money, stress and commitment. ....

So I may have been a pre-dent for ~6 years (due to my membership in this club), but in the end it is worth it!

I was in a similar boat. I had a 3.01 cum, 3.1 sci, and a 3.7 BCP. I hit 21/21/21 on the DAT, and it was enough. Hitting the 22/23 mark should help with schools like Columbia and Pacific (just from flipping through pre-dents).

What counts as Biology classes? Do physiology classes, human gross anatomy, physiology lab, ecology, animal behavior, and psychology count as biology classes?

What counts as Biology classes? Do physiology classes, human gross anatomy, physiology lab, ecology, animal behavior, and psychology count as biology classes?

Physiology: Yes
human gross anatomy: Yes
Physiology lab: Yes
Ecology: Yes
Animal behavior: Yes
Psychology: Most will not count. Only if it is something like Physiological Psych or Bio Psych (something bio related).

when you take post-bac program in bio,
do you get credit towards your dental degree??
since i have enough loans to pay off for undergrad,
i was wondering post-bac will reward with any credits for dental.
please reply,,, i don't know where else to ask such question.

Physiology: Yes
human gross anatomy: Yes
Physiology lab: Yes
Ecology: Yes
Animal behavior: Yes
Psychology: Most will not count. Only if it is something like Physiological Psych or Bio Psych (something bio related).

Thanks a lot, thats what I thought. All were part of science departments, except for Psychology, so I was just making sure. Thanks for your help.

One more opinion. Would a 3.0 science GPA look SIGNIFICANTLY better than a 2.99 science GPA? If I 4.0 this summer, I can raise my grade to a 2.99, but if I can add another 1 credit class and 4.0 that too, I can raise my grade above the 3.0 barrier. The only problem is that the scheduling is so compact during the summer that the only science classes I can find will be 3-4 credit classes. Is that extra 3-4 credit class (I'll already be taking 10 credits for a 2 month semester [first summer session compressed into 2 months]) worth taking to boost my gpa from 2.99 to ~3.0X? I will be applying right at the end of the semester (June 20) and have to take the DAT during that time too.

EDIT:

SOrry, 3 more questions.

Would a horticulture or human nutrition class be a science class, and

Would this be a science course: "Visions of the Universe". The class is offered by the "Integrative Studies Physical Sciences" department.

Here is the description
"Role of observation, theory, philosophy, and technology in the development of the modern conception of the universe. The Copernican Revolution. Birth and death of stars. Spaceship Earth. Cosmology and time. "

when you take post-bac program in bio,
do you get credit towards your dental degree??
since i have enough loans to pay off for undergrad,
i was wondering post-bac will reward with any credits for dental.
please reply,,, i don't know where else to ask such question.

Post-bac programs are a way to complete pre-req classes for admission to dental school.

There is no way to transfer credit into dental school.

Would a 3.0 science GPA look SIGNIFICANTLY better than a 2.99 science GPA?

It’s tough to say. I think at first glance it definitely looks better and may not stick out as much as having a 2.XX. However some schools like UNLV just stick your GPA into a formula with many variables, and thus a 0.01 change won’t make much difference.

Would a horticulture or human nutrition class be a science class, and Would this be a science course: "Visions of the Universe". The class is offered by the "Integrative Studies Physical Sciences" department.

Check the FAQ section for AADSAS: https://aadsas.adea.org/aadsas2008/faqs_dir.htm

Here is an excerpt from the “coursework” section:

Q: I am having trouble classifying some of my courses. How do I decide to classify my classes as BCP-Other Science-Non Science?

A: Use the examples offered inside the Coursework section of the application as a guideline. Use your best judgment in determining the best placement of your courses.

Occasionally, applicants have questions about whether they should count a particular course as a BCP or Other Science course, even though it is not taught in a BCP or Other Science department. For example:
· A student may take an upper-level psychology course such as "The Physiology of the Brain" that is heavily based in the biological sciences; that course can be counted as a BCP course, even though it was offered through the Department of Psychology, a "Non Science" department.
· An engineering student took Chemistry for Engineers. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through the College of Engineering, an "Other Science" department.
· A dental hygiene student took these two courses:
o Principles of Pathology, a course offered through the Department of Dental Hygiene. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through Dental Hygiene, an "Other Science" department.
o Treating Pediatric Patients, another Dental Hygiene course would be considered an "Other Science" course because its focus is primarily clinical.
· A medical technology student took these two courses:
o Hematology, a course offered through the Department of Medical Technology. This course can be considered a BCP course, because it deals with the anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system. Even though it was offered through the Department of Medical Technology, an "Other Science" department, it would be considered BCP.
o Clinical Laboratory Safety and Phlebotomy, two other Medical Technology courses would be considered "Other Science" courses because their focus is primarily clinical.
o (The AADSAS Transcript Processing Department will verify each course subject after receipt of your official transcripts. If you notice any discrepancies contact Customer Service Representatives ([email protected])

Hi everyone, I am also a member of the under 3.0 club. Right now, my cumul gpa is at 2.841 and my science is also around the same. I am currently studying for the DAT and will be taking it in the first week of august most likely. As far as my extracurriculars, I have done research at the labs at the dental school in my university, currently have around 500+ hours of shadowing and observation, and am getting a recommendation from the biology chair from my school and the chair of my major (econ) as well as a physics professor whose class that I did well in. Should I bother applying or should I look into post bacc or masters programs for now? I don't know what to do.

please help!

thanks!

Hi everyone, I am also a member of the under 3.0 club. Right now, my cumul gpa is at 2.841 and my science is also around the same. I am currently studying for the DAT and will be taking it in the first week of august most likely. As far as my extracurriculars, I have done research at the labs at the dental school in my university, currently have around 500+ hours of shadowing and observation, and am getting a recommendation from the biology chair from my school and the chair of my major (econ) as well as a physics professor whose class that I did well in. Should I bother applying or should I look into post bacc or masters programs for now? I don't know what to do.

Well... It won't be easy. I just did a search on www.predents.com and from that sample, only 3 people with a GPA under 2.85 were accepted, and each by only a single school.

The thing they all had in common were obvious: a 20+ DAT score, and they had done well in a post bac.

There is always a chance, so I won't tell you not to apply. However you would be best served by doing very well on the DAT, and even rocking a year of science classes in a post bac.

get a few semester of a 4.0 under your belt- show you can do it!

Last edited:
So, I could use some advice and I belong in this club.....just some background:

GPA dropped this semester from a 3.1 to a 2.8 (OOOUCHHH)
Will be taking DATS mid August
Work for a dentist for 2.5 years currently, lots of shadowing, extra curriculars, volunteer, in a sorority, work two jobs, blah blah.......

Anyway, I was all set to go and apply but not the GPA scares me. Im thinking of three different options,

1) Apply, do excellent on the DAT, and PRAY
2) Don't apply, save the money, sign up for a post bacc (i don't even know what that means, just graduate work?)
3) Im taking Physics I and II with labs this summer and am confident Ill get As, so I could wait until the end of August to apply (thats when grades are in), hoping that the four As boost my GPA, that just means applying a little 'late' compared to other people.

Im stuck....helppppp :scared:

Work for a dentist for 2.5 years currently, lots of shadowing, extra curriculars, volunteer, in a sorority, work two jobs, blah blah.......

Anyway, I was all set to go and apply but not the GPA scares me. Im thinking of three different options,

2) Don't apply, save the money, sign up for a post bacc (i don't even know what that means, just graduate work?)
3) Im taking Physics I and II with labs this summer and am confident Ill get As, so I could wait until the end of August to apply (thats when grades are in), hoping that the four As boost my GPA, that just means applying a little 'late' compared to other people.

BUMP! please

1. Take and do well on the DAT.
2. Do post bacc, college courses after you get a bachelors. That's what it means. See where you stand after one year and apply.
3. A couple of summer courses aren't going to bump your GPA that much. Take them and do well next year. Then apply.

BUMP! please

If you want a chance this cycle, you have 2-3 weeks to submit your AADSAS. Your DAT date's too late to have a strong chance this year. Move it up or you're not getting in.

If you want to apply next cycle, then you're alright as long as you pull up that GPA. You might as well push back the DAT date too.

Keep the faith guys! For all those that think that you cant get into Dental School, know that its possible. I've had many many problems in my life and after working my ass off (and loss of lots of sleep), I finally got my acceptance to dental school and it was my #1 choice. I'll tell more on my story later.

Dont lose hope!

BUMP! please

hey njdental i am in a similar situation except i graduated w/a 2.99 and am currently doing a self-postbacc at rutgers. if u have any questions feel free to pm me.

So far, I applied through AADSAS and all that's left are the secondaries. I have a 4.0 GPA in my Biology Masters program, but my undergrad is more like the other end of extreme o_O

Now, some secondaries give applicants a "chance" to explain any academic deficiencies, and one even wants explanations on each and every D, F, Incomplete, or Withdrawn. I have quite a lot of these, and my blanket explanation of "immaturity, lack of ability to balance time" is pretty pathetic, even though it's the truth!

I don't want to sound whiny, but it's a tad difficult to put a positive spin on past sins. The cynic in me says that many of the schools will cash the check but not bother with my essays because upward trend can help only so much :rolleyes:

For those who have a similar background, how do you address your shortcomings?

hey njdental i am in a similar situation except i graduated w/a 2.99 and am currently doing a self-postbacc at rutgers. if u have any questions feel free to pm me.
i am also a rutgers graduate =) graduated with a 3.01. I think I did well enough on my DAT's. Bio - 23, OC - 20, GC - 19, TS - 20, RC - 19, PA - 19, QR - 16

I was planning on applying for the '09 year. how did you do on your DATs if you don't mind me asking. I wanted to see how my chances are looking and if i should take some post-bacc courses...

i am also a rutgers graduate =) graduated with a 3.01. I think I did well enough on my DAT's. Bio - 23, OC - 20, GC - 19, TS - 20, RC - 19, PA - 19, QR - 16

I was planning on applying for the '09 year. how did you do on your DATs if you don't mind me asking. I wanted to see how my chances are looking and if i should take some post-bacc courses...

cool another scarlet knight! i havent taken my DAT yet...was planning on taking them at the end of the summer and apply for entry in 2010. right now my gpa is 3.03cum/2.97sci so i'll need another yr of postbac classes...are you at nb, nwk, or camden? where are you thinking of applying so i can keep those schools in mind when its my turn and nice job on the DAT:thumbup:

yay for rutgers (raptor here haha)

i haven't taken the DAT yet either, planning on taking it this summer (mid july maybe) ill let you know when i do take it how i do......im currently debating on applying this year or do a post-bacc and applying 09 cycle (for entering 2010)

yea i'm thinking of applying this cycle but i wasn't sure if i should take some post-bacc science courses for a year or work at a dental clinic. As of now I have a year off, but I don't know what the best route to take is. I have a 3.03 overall and I believe a 2.5 science. I'm thinking i have a decent shot with the DAT scores because they make up for the poor science gpa sort of. I figure if I apply early to 15 schools around, as competitive as it is, I should hopefully get in somewhere =/

I know rutgers has a Pre-Health Post-Bacc program but it's a special 2 year program. Not sure if it's worth it to go into that or just try my luck. what do you guys think.

while u have nice DAT scores, a 2.5 science gpa is just too low. <1% of predents.com with 3.0/2.5 gpa set got in. get your hands on the adea official guide to dental schools and look at the acceptance gpa ranges...i suggest a science postbac and u got to ace your classes. it can be done , do not lose the faith! if you werent a science major then you wont have that many credits towards your bcp and will be able to raise your gpa rather somewhat quickly. good luck!

Albuterol...really? That is your name? LOL. That is funny. It is like you are saying. Hello, my name is X and I am a mild asthmatic. Just curious if there is some kind of story behind that?

hahah the fact is when i was younger i had my bouts with asthma and had to carry the darn thing around every spring/summer...its better now though i still have to use it when my allergies get real bad and when it was time to register my inhaler was kind of laying on my desk going "pick me"

hahah the fact is when i was younger i had my bouts with asthma and had to carry the darn thing around every spring/summer...its better now though i still have to use it when my allergies get real bad and when it was time to register my inhaler was kind of laying on my desk going "pick me"

LOL. I'm just teasing you anyway. It's cute.

hello all!!!

I am announcing myself today apart of the subpar 3.0 club! :D I, like most of you, I'd assume struggled w/ maturity my first years in college. I always knew I wanted to be a dentist, but didnt quite gather the work ethic involved in becoming one so I just coasted in class. Sounds like a lot of you?

My overall GPA is 2.7. However I haven't taken a junior level class yet, so there is a lot of time for improvement. Alright!! I haven't taken any of the main pre-reqs yet besides Gen bio and Human A/P I & II. ISo I can really increase my GPA! I also have Kaplan book and will take Kaplan courses for the DAT. My first order of business when I arrive to my 4 year institution is to see my pre-health advisor. Then, sit calmly on he or she's well cushioned chair and wait approximatley 2-3mins while he or she laughs hysterically in my face about my chances of entering a dental school.

Bottom line, no one is going to tell me to give up on a career I know I will enter. I know it will take much more hard work than ever before but I am ready for the challenge.

PS: Go ODU Monarchs!

I'm back! Just finished master's degree in biology, gonna start studying for DAT again.. and so it continues.

I'm back! Just finished master's degree in biology, gonna start studying for DAT again.. and so it continues.
Iceman DDS,

I'm curious... Where did you get your master's in biology and how long did it take? Are you applying currently (for the '09 cycle) or waiting until next year?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Based on your signature you've pretty much leveled the playing field for yourself. Good luck with your DAT and dental school admissions. I remember you originally sounded like a total lost cause. :thumbup: Keep it up iceman.:cool:

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can advise me and tell me if they think I have a real chance. My undergrad gpa is 2.9 cumulative and 2.8 science (did not take many science classes as I was a political science major). I am now in a biomedical masters program where I have a 3.35 gpa. It would be higher but I got one C and 2 B's in the spring semester because I got married toward the end of the semester among other things. With a DAT score in the 20-21 range and a 3.35 postbac gpa what do u think my chances are? Also will they take into consideration the fact that I got married, was working full time, and some other things into consideration for that one mediocre semester in grad school? Thank you...

Last edited:
Iceman DDS,

I'm curious... Where did you get your master's in biology and how long did it take? Are you applying currently (for the '09 cycle) or waiting until next year?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I got my master's from Georgia State University, and it took me 3 semesters. I thought about taking a break from it all and applying next year, but I've invested so much into this that now I feel I should keep up the momentum and apply now. Sooo I'm studying for DAT again and applying this summer with fingers and toes crossed.