The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whatup fellow college slackers :p

My stats:
Undergrad = 2.8ish (biochem)
Grad currently = 3.85 (pharmacology)

DAT 25/27/17

Dude, you're not qualified to be a member of the under 3.0 club.

Your gpa is not substandard.

however, I would definitely like to know you got those DAT scores so high.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you're not qualified to be a member of the under 3.0 club.

Your gpa is not substandard.

however, I would definitely like to know you got those DAT scores so high.

Graduate school evolves the way you think, and sheer effort. My overall GPA is about a 2.9 with my grad factored in so I am still under 3.0 can I please join the club :hardy:

For DAT tho, I used kaplans online material stuff is amazing course is awesome. I used destroyer to remind myself that I sucked to study harder, cliffs AP bio for biology, and alot of wikipedia + bio textbook. I used the kaplan white book for orgo and gen chem, its a very good overall study reference, but you need to supp it with wiki and a textbook.

This is a long post, but I really need your feedbacks. Thanks in advance.:)

Ok..So my D-school story goes back to 2002. I had a below average GPA, was working as a dental assistant during the day, floor managing at a family restaurant, and did I say married? So I applied to only two schools, took the DAT and scored 15 :thumbdown: got rejected. Applied to the same two schools again the next year and retook the DAT (AA 16, TS 17, PAT 16) got an interview from my own state, wait listed, and eventually was rejected, because no one dropped at the first day of school, or as I was told!
However, the admissions suggested that I retake the DAT. Right around the same time, I lost three of family members in a car crash and this is exactly what I did for the next year until I graduated...I quit my dental assisting job of four years and the restaurant job, stayed home when I didn't have a class and .:cry:.:sleep::cry: :cry::sleep:
And I took the DAT for the third time in a really bad situation (Dec-2003)..well....I scored the same (AA 16)..and I don't know what was I thinking, but I went ahead and applied with that score in May 2004 after graduation. So I talked to the advisors at my state D-school, and they told me that it's probably better for me to withdraw my application from that cycle, take upper level classes, and do well on the DAT. Following their advised I went to grad school. However, the damage was already done to my undergrad GPA, because I got all C's in the rest of my Bio
classes, failed Orgo2 and the retake was a D, and again a C.:bang:and two more D's. I graduated in 2004 with 2.3 science GPA. During Grad school I did better. I attended full time majoring in Biotechnology while working fulltime as an intern for Government. I graduated in 19 months with 3.00. After graduation I started working as a microbiologist at a vaccine producing company. I also worked at our research department for a short while as a research assistant.
After giving it lots of thoughts, I had to quit my job to study for the DAT and give it a try one more time. So here is what I did/have:

-BS in Biology 2.4 overall GPA
-A non-trad student (older than most people here)
-MS (Thesis program) in Biotechnology from my state University with 3.00 GPA.
-Applied in June,
-Four years of dental assisting experience and certification of completion of oral radiology.
-Community work. (Involve in helping disadvantaged families in developing countries).
-6 months of internship for government.
-Research experience.
-1.5 year of microbiology as well as biochemistry work experience.
-I recently retook the DAT, and I thought that I would do better but here are my scores (PAT-18, BIO-18, OC-18, GC-19, QR-15, RC-17, TS-19, AA17).
-Number of job/laboratory related certifications.
-Awards in sports and academics. (Belong to years ago though)
-Applied to 13 schools: Temple (rejected), Maryland, Howard, western, mercy, UOP, LLU, WVU, VCU, NYU, BU, Tuft, Arizona, USC.
Please...be honest...Do I have a chance at all? What do you think? My biological-clock has started ticking already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here, not classified as a minority with a 3.0 Science GPA get into dental school recently?
Thanks
White boy started D1 at Loma Linda this fall and LOVING IT. Took me three years applying. It was worth it to me. Is it really worth it to you to have to go back to school for a year or two to make yourself more competitive? That is really the main option for people in similar situations.

got accepted into michigan on the 1st! it took me 3 application attempts and 2 years at a research-based masters program to make it this far. my first application was sent back in 2004 (2.8 GPA) for the incoming fall 2005 class. my second attempt was last year while i was transitioning out of grad school and still nothing...not even one interview. it took 2 hard years of what seemed to be impossible at times but i finished my grad program with a 4.0 and i think it's what got me noticed.

on top of that my DAT scores expired last year and i had to retake them this year. i finally began to see the fruit of my labor this cycle and i couldn't be happier.

i'm 28 and have been trying to get in since i was 24. for those of you in my position 4 years ago, don't give up. stay on top of improving your application every year and it'll happen. the adcoms have told me at interviews that your statement of intent and supplementary apps/essays (if applicable) are important factors in offering one an interview.

i perused this thread years ago and it gave me hope that i could finally say that i got admitted.

2009 application cycle...
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.88
DAT: 18/19/21
EC's: tons!
Interviewed at 7 schools pre-dec
Accepted at 2 schools dec 1st
100% positive I will be going to Marquette University!

Last edited:
1st off-congrats to all of you who gained acceptances to dental school!

2nd-did any of you guys get in w/o doing a masters program? i rather not spend 20k-60k before dental school, but if i must then i will. any help would be appreciated.

cGPA- ~3.1
sGPA- 3.0-3.1
DAT- 23/22/19
EC- volunteering @ hospital, 50hrs shadowing gen dent, looking for a Dent asst job.

imo you don't have to spend that kind of money at a masters program. i spent 3000/yr for 2 years at my state school masters program. if money is an issue (which it was for me) then opt out for a state school and bring your numbers up that way!

my state school (umdnj) has a 1yr special masters program at 18k (no housing b/c i could commute from home)..BU and Tufts ~40-60k (includes housing), just trying to decide if i should do a masters or not...any advice?

bump...
did any one else get some lovin this december?

Hello guys haven't been coming back to this forum since this semester of school has started. After this semester my grades have plummeted. My overall gpa is 3.6 and my science gpa is 3.0. What do you guys mean by saying graduating on time? Is it in 4 years? This is my 4 1/2 years of going to a university. My sister and law is a dental hygienist, and she told me there were a few students who was accepted into dental school without a bachelors. They just finish their prerequisites. My two cousin also are dentist and they told me the same. However, they got into dental school in early to mid 90's. I think its much harder now. As one of my cousin got in with only prerequisites. His DAT score was above average but not great though. I was planning to follow their steps, but figure the ones that got in without a major was only a few compare to thousands. So I basically screw up my first 1 1/2 years in college taking course I didn't need. I made A's in all of them though lol.
My gpa this semester has gone down though do to making a C in microbiology. I want to ask you guys does the time that take you to finish the prerequisites and get a bachelors in biology affects your chance of getting in? I keep reading about graduating on time, but by the time I finish everything its going to take me 6 years.

Oh yeah I was at a community college for 3 1/2 years. Does that affect my chances as well? I only took gen. bio 1 and 2, gen chem 1 and 2, and phys 1 and 2. The others science class I took at my university.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah I was at a community college for 3 1/2 years. Does that affect my chances as well? I only took gen. bio 1 and 2, gen chem 1 and 2, and phys 1 and 2. The others science class I took at my university.

Most schools want to see all the pre-reqs done at 4-year universities. For example, I quoted USC's statement in another thread, but here it is again:

No more than 60 semester hours earned at a community college will be accepted and preference is given to candidates who complete the science prerequisites at a four year institution;

So yes, it affects your chances. To what extent, I don't know.

Most schools want to see all the pre-reqs done at 4-year universities. For example, I quoted USC's statement in another thread, but here it is again:

So yes, it affects your chances. To what extent, I don't know.

Oh yeah I only did 60 hours at community college as well. Thats the max the univeristy will transfer. My university advisor told me all those classes I took there was fine. Most incoming students does the same. They just take the upper tier science course at the university. Thats what I'm doing right now. I'm taking immunology, orgo 1 and 2, biochem, genetics, evolutionary biology, cal 1, 2, 3, cell biology, human phys, and elem micro. I only need orgo 1 and 2, biochem, genetics, evolutionary biology, immunology, cal 2 and 3. I hope to bring my gpa up next semester. I need to try harder.

i know this isnt probably the right place to ask this quesstion.. but i really need someone to answer my question... any wayz Im a sophmore at college.. My GPA is around 3.4 now.. By the time i graduate i estimate my GPA would be 3.6, with science around 3.5.. So my question is that is this a good GPA in getting accepting into dental school, without looking at the other info( DAT score, volunteer....)
Thanks for ur help in advance...

i know this isnt probably the right place to ask this quesstion.. but i really need someone to answer my question... any wayz Im a sophmore at college.. My GPA is around 3.4 now.. By the time i graduate i estimate my GPA would be 3.6, with science around 3.5.. So my question is that is this a good GPA in getting accepting into dental school, without looking at the other info( DAT score, volunteer....)
Thanks for ur help in advance...

Well people are getting in to D-school with "under 3.0", this thread would suck if you couldn't. So if people are getting in with below 3.0 do you think your gpa is "good enough"?
Worry about your DAT, LORs, and ECs they are equally as important.

but, would you say im in the top 50%? 40%? 20%?

Your GPA is average if not above average for most schools. People get in with below avg GPAs (like me) and others get in with above avg GPAs. Having a GPA like yours puts gives you a great shot...

Hi everyone,

Great thread! I'd really appreciate feedback on my current situation and plans for the future.

I guess I should provide a bit of background info. My dad is a PharmD and my mom is a PT, so I've grown up in a family heavily influenced by the medical professions. In high school I was very involved with the HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) group at school and was pretty set on dentistry (won state level competitions junior & senior years for the dental competition offered). My senior year of HS I was bitten by the entrepreneurship bug and I started a company which ended up occupying me through several years of college - which proved to be a distraction from classes, much less dreams of dental school. Attended Wake Forest University freshman year and did the typical intro to college coursework with a slight slant towards business/economics and spanish.

The following year I transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill because they have a better entrepreneurial atmosphere and tuition is a ton cheaper :thumbup: I continued coursework in economics and spanish and didn't pursue the dentistry thing.

In the summer of '06 I traveled with a dental team as part of a church medical mission trip to Ecuador and assisted the dentist for about 40 hours (1 week) translating and performing very basic assisting/cleaning - had a blast, awesome experience.

This past May I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a double major in Economics and Spanish. Didn't end up with a great GPA - 2.7 cumulative (3.0 in Spanish, less than that in Econ :bang:)

Since then, I've worked for a start up company, but I'm having second thoughts about dental school and my current career path. Somehow I managed to take only 1 science course throughout undergrad - Bio 101 and earned a B+, so my science GPA slate is pretty clean.

Do I have the potential to be a competitive applicant if I take all the science pre-reqs part-time at UNC and earn good grades to fill out my science gpa?:confused: I'm concerned my ugrad gpa will be a big strike against me as well as not taking the pre-reqs as a full load...I'd have to enter the part-time studies program which restricts me to 8 hrs(2 classes)/semester.

Also, do dental schools require pre-reqs be completed at a 4-year instead of a CC? The local CC offers classes for about $42/credit - about 5-6 times cheaper than UNC. I've seen several dschools that mention classes from 4-years are preferred, but does anyone know how large a role that plays in admission decisions? I'm leaning towards completing the classes at UNC since I reckon I need all the help I can get...although the financial advantage of the CC is huge.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

Hi everyone,

Great thread! I'd really appreciate feedback on my current situation and plans for the future.

I guess I should provide a bit of background info. My dad is a PharmD and my mom is a PT, so I've grown up in a family heavily influenced by the medical professions. In high school I was very involved with the HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) group at school and was pretty set on dentistry (won state level competitions junior & senior years for the dental competition offered). My senior year of HS I was bitten by the entrepreneurship bug and I started a company which ended up occupying me through several years of college - which proved to be a distraction from classes, much less dreams of dental school. Attended Wake Forest University freshman year and did the typical intro to college coursework with a slight slant towards business/economics and spanish.

The following year I transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill because they have a better entrepreneurial atmosphere and tuition is a ton cheaper :thumbup: I continued coursework in economics and spanish and didn't pursue the dentistry thing.

In the summer of '06 I traveled with a dental team as part of a church medical mission trip to Ecuador and assisted the dentist for about 40 hours (1 week) translating and performing very basic assisting/cleaning - had a blast, awesome experience.

This past May I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a double major in Economics and Spanish. Didn't end up with a great GPA - 2.7 cumulative (3.0 in Spanish, less than that in Econ :bang:)

Since then, I've worked for a start up company, but I'm having second thoughts about dental school and my current career path. Somehow I managed to take only 1 science course throughout undergrad - Bio 101 and earned a B+, so my science GPA slate is pretty clean.

Do I have the potential to be a competitive applicant if I take all the science pre-reqs part-time at UNC and earn good grades to fill out my science gpa?:confused: I'm concerned my ugrad gpa will be a big strike against me as well as not taking the pre-reqs as a full load...I'd have to enter the part-time studies program which restricts me to 8 hrs(2 classes)/semester.

Also, do dental schools require pre-reqs be completed at a 4-year instead of a CC? The local CC offers classes for about $42/credit - about 5-6 times cheaper than UNC. I've seen several dschools that mention classes from 4-years are preferred, but does anyone know how large a role that plays in admission decisions? I'm leaning towards completing the classes at UNC since I reckon I need all the help I can get...although the financial advantage of the CC is huge.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

IMO, you should show that you can handle not only prerqs but also upperlevel science courses.IMO for one or max 2 semester being in CC is ok, after that you should go to full time 4 years school and show them that you still are in learning mode. just think what percentile of applicants have science degree and applying to D-schools. buckle up and start seriously. Good luck :thumbup:

2009 application cycle...
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.88
DAT: 18/19/21
EC's: tons!
Interviewed at 7 schools pre-dec
Accepted at 2 schools dec 1st
100% positive I will be going to Marquette University!

what exactly did you have as EC's. Be specific. Thanks

Hi everyone, I been browsing SDN forums for a while and finally decided to register. Okay my dilemma is that I'm a 2nd year student at RU majoring in chemistry, but I was not focused during my 1st year at college. I was getting through college with C's and couple of B's; simply put, my GPA for the first year was around ~2.8. But with a C in Biology and Physics. In Chem I and Chem II I started getting serious about my work and got an A and B+ respectively, and in Organic Chemistry I got an A. My question is that is it possible to bring that 2.8 to at least a 3.5 If I manage to get A's and B's? Also, I will be taking Biology II and Physics II next semester and planning on doing good so it can help my GPA. I know I have still have a shot of some sort if I give a stellar performance my remaining years, but some part of me just does not want to believe that. So, I was wondering what you guys think. Thanks! (Btw, I feel so motivated reading the stories because I thought I was dead meat when I got a C in Bio. I thought it was already over for me).

i went to RU(brunswick)-so if u need tips on which classes to pick holla. but yes it is manageable, not sure about 3.5 but probably close around there. shoot for A's. and stay motivated-it will take u a long way. good luck dude!

I must admit that I love this thread, it keeps me motivated that there are ppl like me out there..so can i join the club?? My GPA is right at 3.0 ( science and cum ) but I dont know whats gonna happen in my last year of DH school..Imma try my best to get better GPA, but y'all now how hard it can be.
..So yea for now...let me in let me in.

K anyway;,

The story:

I started undergraduate as a Biology Major ( thinking Predent/ Premed ) , then changed to nursing ( couldnt handle Bio/ science classes too well), changed my mind again.. now im graduating with BS in Dental Hygiene in May 09, and im loving every minute of it! My mom is a dentist and somehow I like the smell of dental clinics.. lol. k that was weird and irrelevant..

Anyway....I attempted to finish some prereqs for Dental School, but did not get to finish because I had to concentrate fully on Dental Hygiene courses ( boy, it was NOT easy ). So I have orgo 2 and lab, physics 1 and 2 with lab, and biochem left..and of course the DAT. So im looking at about maybe 2 more years of prep.

My questions are

1. Should I do a postbac, instead doing everything all by myself, cuz really, im not that organized, and my GPA isnt the best.
2. Should I do a special master program? then I have to take standardized test to get in, etc?
3. As a dental hygienist, will shadowing a DDS benefit me or should I just work as a Dental Hygenist, and Volunteer as a DH, etc.
4. Maybe this one is a stupid question, I know it wont matter much, but does South East asian considered an underrepresented minority?
5. Lookin at my history, is it humanly possible to apply in 2010? whats the right timeline for me.
6. Any suggestion accepted, thank you very much.

A girl can only hope, and I hope anyone reading can gear me into the right direction.

Thank you for reading this far.

I must admit that I love this thread, it keeps me motivated that there are ppl like me out there..so can i join the club?? My GPA is right at 3.0 ( science and cum ) but I dont know whats gonna happen in my last year of DH school..Imma try my best to get better GPA, but y'all now how hard it can be.
..So yea for now...let me in let me in.

K anyway;,

The story:

I started undergraduate as a Biology Major ( thinking Predent/ Premed ) , then changed to nursing ( couldnt handle Bio/ science classes too well), changed my mind again.. now im graduating with BS in Dental Hygiene in May 09, and im loving every minute of it! My mom is a dentist and somehow I like the smell of dental clinics.. lol. k that was weird and irrelevant..

Anyway....I attempted to finish some prereqs for Dental School, but did not get to finish because I had to concentrate fully on Dental Hygiene courses ( boy, it was NOT easy ). So I have orgo 2 and lab, physics 1 and 2 with lab, and biochem left..and of course the DAT. So im looking at about maybe 2 more years of prep.

My questions are

1. Should I do a postbac, instead doing everything all by myself, cuz really, im not that organized, and my GPA isnt the best.
2. Should I do a special master program? then I have to take standardized test to get in, etc?
3. As a dental hygienist, will shadowing a DDS benefit me or should I just work as a Dental Hygenist, and Volunteer as a DH, etc.
4. Maybe this one is a stupid question, I know it wont matter much, but does South East asian considered an underrepresented minority?
5. Lookin at my history, is it humanly possible to apply in 2010? whats the right timeline for me.
6. Any suggestion accepted, thank you very much.

A girl can only hope, and I hope anyone reading can gear me into the right direction.

Thank you for reading this far.

2 years seems like a bit much, you only have 4 classes left so I say 1 year tops. You should theoretically be able to apply for 2010 easily. Just remember applying with a low GPA is a bit of a gamble. You can increase your odds by scoring high on the DAT but you still never know for sure. You are going to have to apply to alot of schools. If you score well on the DAT (20+), most everyone will tell you to apply. If you dont they will tell you to go do a post bacc and do well, after that retake the DAT. This was the advice I got on here and I decided to give it a go anyway. It all worked out and I got in Dec 1st, it cost alot of money but it was worth it. If you go for it like I did just keep in mind that it's a huge gamble, there is the possibility you spend loads of money and not even get in. Good luck!

2 years seems like a bit much, you only have 4 classes left so I say 1 year tops. You should theoretically be able to apply for 2010 easily. Just remember applying with a low GPA is a bit of a gamble. You can increase your odds by scoring high on the DAT but you still never know for sure. You are going to have to apply to alot of schools. If you score well on the DAT (20+), most everyone will tell you to apply. If you dont they will tell you to go do a post bacc and do well, after that retake the DAT. This was the advice I got on here and I decided to give it a go anyway. It all worked out and I got in Dec 1st, it cost alot of money but it was worth it. If you go for it like I did just keep in mind that it's a huge gamble, there is the possibility you spend loads of money and not even get in. Good luck!

thanks for the advice and congrats on ur acceptance , too! imma see what I can do, right now imma try to focus on my DH national board exam first..gotta graduate first, right?? lol.

little mango, congrats on ur acceptance! u must have a high DAT score! which school was it? how did you do it??

thanks for the advice and congrats on ur acceptance , too! imma see what I can do, right now imma try to focus on my DH national board exam first..gotta graduate first, right?? lol.

little mango, congrats on ur acceptance! u must have a high DAT score! which school was it? how did you do it??

i think littlemango was saying he barely made it into this club

Alrite round 2 guys.........come we gotta band together and get into a darn school Jan 15th is right around the corner. <3.00 ALL THE WAY!!!

hey guys i was just wondering what are the "easier" schools for people with under 3.0 gpas to get into. ive seen stats but i just wanna know what everyone thinks

hellllo everyone!

i'm a junior in college right now..my c.gpa currently stands 2.78 and my s.gpa i haven't calculated, but i'm estimating it to be around 2.5.. i got my first D in orgo1 this semester :(:( so that's a real bummer..

i'm planning to take post-bac or a summer session for orgo1.. my DAT either this april or august, depending on how much time i have to study for it this semester. i have some research experience and have volunteered at a local hospital along with shadowing a radiologist.i am looking to shadow a dentist over the summer.

any suggestions on how i can strengthen my stats?? and what my chances for d-school are? ive read a couple of pages of this thread and it made me feel a bit better because i thought i was on the farrrrr left of the bell curve (perhaps i still am? lol).

anything is appreciated!! thanks! :):):)

I am a mature student (33yrs old) and finally decided to make a change in my life and the life of my family. We have three children 9, 6, & 4yrs old. I have only taken one of the prerequisites 10yrs ago in Chemistry and am planning on taking the remaining Biology, Physics, Org Chem, Bio Chem, etc... this year. I hope to have the majority of the classes completed by the end of the summer. I did take the DAT at the end of December to put my application out there too Detriot Mercy and Midwestern in Arizona. I thought that I would put my application in to get my name out there and the very small chance of them looking at me for Fall 2009. In the summer or fall of this year I am planning to rewrite the DAT as I will have the background knowledge that I need. I know that I will probably no get in for Fall 2009 but plan on applying early this year (June). My overall academic average is 3.2 and I hope to improve this by my sceince courses I am taking right now. I have a Masters in Clinical Social Work and have practice for over 5yrs in my field. Currently I have done some job shadowing with a Dentist in town and plan on doing many more hours with him after I complete my coursework. My overall academic average of the DAT was 12 with the PAT=18 and CR=15. Is there anything I can do to improve my application at this point? I have read through this thread and appreciate the feedback that has been given to others. Also if there are any schools that you might recommend for me to apply to with my background in the 2010 cycle I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and in advance thank you for all of your advice. Good Luck to everyone!:)

Take care,

Dan

hellllo everyone!

i'm a junior in college right now..my c.gpa currently stands 2.78 and my s.gpa i haven't calculated, but i'm estimating it to be around 2.5.. i got my first D in orgo1 this semester :(:( so that's a real bummer..

i'm planning to take post-bac or a summer session for orgo1.. my DAT either this april or august, depending on how much time i have to study for it this semester. i have some research experience and have volunteered at a local hospital along with shadowing a radiologist.i am looking to shadow a dentist over the summer.

any suggestions on how i can strengthen my stats?? and what my chances for d-school are? ive read a couple of pages of this thread and it made me feel a bit better because i thought i was on the farrrrr left of the bell curve (perhaps i still am? lol).

I think your chances are low but I think doing the post-bac should do the trick if you do well. Make sure you are ready for the DAT before you take it...

I am a mature student (33yrs old) and finally decided to make a change in my life and the life of my family. We have three children 9, 6, & 4yrs old. I have only taken one of the prerequisites 10yrs ago in Chemistry and am planning on taking the remaining Biology, Physics, Org Chem, Bio Chem, etc... this year. I hope to have the majority of the classes completed by the end of the summer. I did take the DAT at the end of December to put my application out there too Detriot Mercy and Midwestern in Arizona. I thought that I would put my application in to get my name out there and the very small chance of them looking at me for Fall 2009. In the summer or fall of this year I am planning to rewrite the DAT as I will have the background knowledge that I need. I know that I will probably no get in for Fall 2009 but plan on applying early this year (June). My overall academic average is 3.2 and I hope to improve this by my sceince courses I am taking right now. I have a Masters in Clinical Social Work and have practice for over 5yrs in my field. Currently I have done some job shadowing with a Dentist in town and plan on doing many more hours with him after I complete my coursework. My overall academic average of the DAT was 12 with the PAT=18 and CR=15. Is there anything I can do to improve my application at this point? I have read through this thread and appreciate the feedback that has been given to others. Also if there are any schools that you might recommend for me to apply to with my background in the 2010 cycle I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and in advance thank you for all of your advice. Good Luck to everyone!:)

Take care,

Dan

You might have to retake chem since you took it 10 years ago. Make sure you do well in all your prereqs, it will go much better for you if you are not part of this club. Not saying it's impossible if you are a member of this group to make it (as I am living proof it can be done), but it is much easier if you are not. Your 12 AA is not going to cut it, I think you did that poorly because you havent taken the prereqs. Take those courses and then take the DAT again (you only really get to take it 3 times). I say don't apply for 2010 because you havent completed and probably will not complete all these courses to start in 2010. I know because of your age and kids you would like to speed this up but I just dont think it's a good idea to try to take on that many units with a family. It will be hard to do well... take an extra year to get everything together... I say apply for 2011. Good luck!

hellllo everyone!

If after your senior year you have the same stats, then you'll almost certainly have to do a SMP. If you do exceptionally well on the DATs then it may get you some interviews, but doing a SMP (and doing well) will help your chances.

Take care,

Dan

I agree with everything futuredentist said. Also, there is a non-traditional thread that may be more helpful. Regarding your situation, i think you should definitely add ASDOH to your list. They really like public/community service. You should also shadow a dentist if you have the time.

Hi. I've never posted anything I've just been browsing for the past two years. I am definitely part of the under 3.0 club. Undergrad GPA: 2.68, Grad GPA: 3.87, Cumulative: 2.87 and DAT 18. Anyway, I got my first interview today!!! I can't believe it, doing a Master's really paid off. Just wanted to encourage all of you that it can be done!

congrats jhk! hope you make it! :)
what does SMP mean? sorry..i'm a newbie to forums lol

thanks for yoru replies :)

jhk3g- Congrats! which school did u do your SMP at and where did u get an interview?

Steezy- SMP = Special Masters Program

I went to Georgetown and got a Master's in Biochemistry/Biotechnology. It wasn't really a SMP but it was only a 1 year program. It's an awesome program, I loved it but it costs A LOT. I got an interview at USC (Jan29th!)

That's great to hear. I'm looking at applying to a few programs myself to boost my academic credentials. Do you think you could tell me a little bit about it? Why did you ultimately choose the georgetown program over others (if you applied to others)? Thanks!!

hellllo everyone!

Hey Steezy I think you may be my long lost twin! My cGPA is 2.78 and bcpGPA is 2.5. I'm a junior, and I also got my first D this past fall semester. It hit me hard, and I posted on here for some help. here's the thread if you care to take a look: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=592306

What needs to be done is simple. A+. What I've decided to do is bang it out and get A's, cutting out the things that were hurting my grades. Time is flying, and I know I'm capable of A+ in all of my classes. What me and you both want to do is focus on our science GPA. Dschools won't take us unless we have ^3.0 or better, just think about it! Think about how fast the semesters have flown by, and how quickly this will pass as well. For students like us, higher grades are more than possible, we just have yet to apply ourselves to our full potential.

This semester I plan on being the student who sits in front, who asks questions, and befriends professors, as well as students. It makes a huge difference. Not only do I need to gear up my gpa but I need letters of recommendations for later on, and I'll be taking the DAT this summer.

FIRST AND FOREMOST focus on getting A's. B's will kill you. You cannot and SHOULD NOT settle for a B+. They keep you stagnant. A+ is not difficult, you just need to apply your time WISELY. Have you looked back on your degree evaluation? Those B's and two A's add upto a sub3.0 avg don't they? Make a daily agenda (which I know sounds corny), like I have, and begin planning your day. Wakeup every day and make checklist of what you'd like to accomplish that day.

This may seem over-the-top, but I've made a notebook exclusively for measuring my progress each day. I got the idea from reading a self-improvement book the morning after I received my D grade. In the notebook, I catalog each day how much time I spent doing the following: sleep, read, study, leisure, gym, writing...etc. At the end of each page is a "thoughts&reflections sect in which I will write each day how well I progressed, if at all, and what I can do to be more effective.:idea:

Ask yourself this:
If you look back on your day, are you noticing you're not using your time efficiently? And if you are, what action(s) do you think you need to take to improve?

It may seem like a lot, but it's a couple steps a day that take you miles in the long run.:xf:

Last edited:
I went to Georgetown and got a Master's in Biochemistry/Biotechnology. It wasn't really a SMP but it was only a 1 year program. It's an awesome program, I loved it but it costs A LOT. I got an interview at USC (Jan29th!)

Congrats!:):)

Hi. I've never posted anything I've just been browsing for the past two years. I am definitely part of the under 3.0 club. Undergrad GPA: 2.68, Grad GPA: 3.87, Cumulative: 2.87 and DAT 18. Anyway, I got my first interview today!!! I can't believe it, doing a Master's really paid off. Just wanted to encourage all of you that it can be done!

congratulation for your interview, plus "USC" knows you are ready to pay for their very high tution. :)

hey guys i was just wondering what are the "easier" schools for people with under 3.0 gpas to get into. ive seen stats but i just wanna know what everyone thinks

this blogsite has lists of d-schools based on diff criteria:

toptennation.blogspot.com

I chose Georgetown because it was close to where I am currently living and because i was a 1 year program. Those are the main reasons I chose Georgetown. If you would like more details about the program PM me.

I have an interview on the 4th of Feb at IU. I really hope it goes well.

Hey everybody. I have a 2.99 science GPA (AFTER post-bacc work, so it was even worse right out of undergrad) and just received my 3rd acceptance today. Stay strong and study hard!

Hey everybody. I have a 2.99 science GPA (AFTER post-bacc work, so it was even worse right out of undergrad) and just received my 3rd acceptance today. Stay strong and study hard!

You're my hero, my postbacc work got me up to 2.99 too. Still nothing tho

Dang Chober, your stats are better than mine, and you even interviewed at LLU and UCSF (where I would have loved to go). I don't really see any weaknesses in your app. Did you have any extra curriculars besides shadowing?