The Waiting Game: No news better than ad news?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalicous1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's easy to get worked up during this waiting game and I gotta maintain a thick skin to deal with much harder things later on but we're getting into November now and I STILL have not heard anything but a lovely rejection from Case a long time ago. :(

I understand that no news is better than more bad news but I was really hoping to get a pre-Dec 1 interview and seeing interview invites pour in for others (I realize others have better stats so I can see why people that applied after me are getts interviews because they are more competitive applicants and congrats to you guys but I really really thought I would hear something else by now). At least one invite to give me hope and confirm that I am competitve because I do think I am so what is going on?

My GPA is just above 3.5 and I got a 19/20 (AA/TS). My AADSAS was in early July and took DAT 28 Aug 2007. I've gotten completed application status from pretty much all of my 15 schools so WHAT is going on? Shouldn't I have heard something by now or is it still too early for me to expect responses?

I know there are others in my position and I'm not trying to whine or ask for pity but this is so seriously depressing sometimes and I just want some advice or reassurance on if I'm being to naive about my expectations on getting an invite right now.

I realize its' still early considering the cycle goes on well into next year but I thought I did everything right, granted it was not done perfect or early, but still in decent time to at least hear SOMETHING good by now, right? :)

Anyone else going nuts with this waiting game?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's easy to get worked up during this waiting game and I gotta maintain a thick skin to deal with much harder things later on but we're getting into November now and I STILL have not heard anything but a lovely rejection from Case a long time ago. :(

I understand that no news is better than more bad news but I was really hoping to get a pre-Dec 1 interview and seeing interview invites pour in for others (I realize others have better stats so I can see why people that applied after me are getts interviews because they are more competitive applicants and congrats to you guys but I really really thought I would hear something else by now). At least one invite to give me hope and confirm that I am competitve because I do think I am so what is going on?

My GPA is just above 3.5 and I got a 19/20 (AA/TS). My AADSAS was in early July and took DAT 28 Aug 2007. I've gotten completed application status from pretty much all of my 15 schools so WHAT is going on? Shouldn't I have heard something by now or is it still too early for me to expect responses?

I know there are others in my position and I'm not trying to whine or ask for pity but this is so seriously depressing sometimes and I just want some advice or reassurance on if I'm being to naive about my expectations on getting an invite right now.

I realize its' still early considering the cycle goes on well into next year but I thought I did everything right, granted it was not done perfect or early, but still in decent time to at least hear SOMETHING good by now, right? :)

what schools did you apply to, because i have similar stats ( 18/19 AA/TS; gpa 3.65). i just sent out the checks to the schools about 2 weeks ago and im starting to slowly hear back from schools, so far 2 invites. dont stress out too much, im sure youll get an interview soon. its still early and some schools are just starting to invite people for interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in almost the exact same situation as you. My GPA is the same, DAT scores a little lower, Applications sent in June, DAT taken August 1st. My committee letter was sent late which frustratingly hurt my attempt at completing my application early. I've heard nothing except a rejection from CASE. I'm starting to feel less crazy though. Apparently I'm not a shoo-in and I'm beginning to recognize that this is out of my hands and freaking out over my email and mail all day doesn't get me closer to an acceptance. I feel your pain dentalicious... this definitely sucks:eek:!! Good luck.

what schools r u waiting to hear from?

You're stats are fine... Heck, they're better than mine. My application was complete at all schools at the end of August (Submitted AADSAS May 24th or so, but didn't take my DAT until Jul 31). The only thing I could say is that you are a bit late in applying. I'm sure you'll get some interviews, but by the looks of things they'll probably be post-dec 1. Good luck!

Have you contacted your schools? My stats are a worse than yours, but I've had 4 interviews so far. I think this is largely due to putting forth extra effort by calling and speaking with admissions staff to initiate the process. This will help attach a personality to an application full of inanimate numbers. For example, I just spoke to the dean of admissions at LSU, and after a couple of emails and a quick chat over the telephone he offered me an interview over the phone. Charm them a bit by contacting them.

I'm anxious, but I'm not going nuts over it. Possibly because I'm working full time in finance, my hours are occupied and not left wondering. I'm not feeling all that bad, because while I'm waiting, I'm making decent bank at my current job and saving a good deal of money. It's disappointing, but hang in there. Keep yourself busy with extracurriculars/dental related activities/work, and you'll have a good response for when you do get an interview and are asked, "So, what have you been doing this past year ?"

I am in almost the exact same situation as you. My GPA is the same, DAT scores a little lower, Applications sent in June, DAT taken August 1st. My committee letter was sent late which frustratingly hurt my attempt at completing my application early. I've heard nothing except a rejection from CASE. I'm starting to feel less crazy though. Apparently I'm not a shoo-in and I'm beginning to recognize that this is out of my hands and freaking out over my email and mail all day doesn't get me closer to an acceptance. I feel your pain dentalicious... this definitely sucks:eek:!! Good luck.

hey txcadman! thanks for the response, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yea it def. sucks and sure frantically checking my email and stuff doesn't change what's in it but I can't help but to think everytime I go to the mailbox that today will be different, today there will be a nice big packet and how your heart just sinks when its more junk mail. Blah I wish there was something more I could do now.

hey txcadman! thanks for the response, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yea it def. sucks and sure frantically checking my email and stuff doesn't change what's in it but I can't help but to think everytime I go to the mailbox that today will be different, today there will be a nice big packet and how your heart just sinks when its more junk mail. Blah I wish there was something more I could do now.

Don't worry guys. :) A friend of mine who is now in dental school was in the same boat. The only interviews he received were in January yet he got into all five schools. His GPA was around 3.3 sci/3.4 cumulative. His DAT was a bit higher 22/22 (AA/TS). I hope everything turns out well for both of you. :D

I just wish the school would flat out say yes or no... what's with keeping your app on file until march? That's inhumane.

Only march??? I hope your more patient then that, my apps where held at some schools till June last year!!! Enjoy the waiting...patients.:p

i work 50-60 hours a week to keep my mind off of things.. and this new girl helps me too. :D:D:D

Just relax guys.. this is my second time waiting and I can't be happier with not getting in last year.. things always have a way of working out for the the best.

Good luck you all of you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
714Guy, I am in the same boat as you! Sooo happy to be reapplying, definitely is working out for the best.

Well dentalicious - I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't sink every time I check the mail and there's nothing there. That's what makes this waiting game suck so bad. But I do feel a little more sane than I was there for a while and I'm not sure what the difference is.

I'll survive if I have to reapply next year but I am so far along with my family (30 yrs old with three kids) that waiting another year feels like an eternity. I'm a Texan and was looking at the TMDSAS statistics (I think the acceptance rate runs pretty much the same as the national average - 1 out of 3). Reading on sdn you begin to think everyone who applies to dental school has a 19/20+ on the DAT. But the average stats for 800+ Texas applicants last year were 3.3 GPA, 17.7 AA, 17.0 PA. A lot of somebodies have to be applying with a 16, 17, or even a 15 on the DAT to bring the average stats of the applicants down to a 17.7. Maybe we will fall into the 1 out of 3 accepted after all??

thanks for all the good wishes and advice you guys. That's awesome that you guys have a good attitdue about reapplying. I am already taking a year off this year so I'm super eager to start because I feel like I really took my time to make sure this is what I want to do and thus am excited and eager to get going because I feel like it took a lot to even get here.

I know there's SO MUCH more ahead and patience will get me far but ahh its still nerve wrecking sometimes esp. when there's so many others that have applied later or just so many others with similar stats with interviews lined up.

I guess I was just starting to double think everything I did and was wondering if I did something wrong or if I was being to naive about hearing back by now. I just gotta keep up the faith and keep waiting. Hopefully it won't be too much longer :)

Plus then dont' people hear back faster after December? It's just gonna be more messy because dont' we have to give notice sooner as well, and sometimes I bet people have to respond to a school when they still have interviews lined up. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself though and should just worry about what's on my plate right now. I guess it's a given that I'm not doing any pre-Dec interviews because there's only like 20 days left now anyways. Have any of you heard of anyone getting pre-Dec interview invites this late and getting in Dec?

Either way, GOOD LUCK to everyone as well! I hope we all hear something more soon!

firstly, sorry for the double threds and keeping them both alive but different responses have been made in them so I'm replying to both :)

Thanks for all the responses though you guys! This def. helps and it's nice to hear the reassuring advice. I hope you guys are right and that I do get those interviews and hoepfully invites!!

At this rate though I agree they will mostly be post december since there's not even a month left now to interview and get that dec acceptance, or is there? have you guys heard of anyone getting a predec interview this late?

I'm waiting to hear back from so many, some of the earlier ones that said I was complete include Lousiville, VCU, UNLV, Howard, Creighton which have been complete for almost 2 months now. Others are Temple, Tufts, NYU, Buffalo, BU, Detroit mercy, UMD, UMDNJ and USC.

I know some like Buffalo and Temple started interviewing later but for schools like VCU that have been interviewing earlier, those really worry me more because clearly people that have applied after me are getting invites, even with similar stats. So its cases like that where I really worry and wonder what my app has or does not have and if I can do anything about that now.

As long as it works out in the end that's what matter but mmaaannn it's nervewrecking! I don't think I've ever checked the mail so eagerly for such a continued time frame. It's just a lotta waiting and it would be SO great to get some good news to have some mroe hope and something to look forward to esp. since everyone on here is always saying how its harder to get in with a post dec interview.

Maybe I will give calling a try but I don't wanna bug them too esp. schools like BU and others that say don't contact us. It goes back to where do you draw the line on that stuff. AH! all I know is that i feel so stuck in a rut with all this waiting and its harder to stay positive sometiems, thats all. Gotta keep it up though I know :)

GOOOD LUCK to you guys though!! and thanks for the advice

what schools did you apply to, because i have similar stats ( 18/19 AA/TS; gpa 3.65). i just sent out the checks to the schools about 2 weeks ago and im starting to slowly hear back from schools, so far 2 invites. dont stress out too much, im sure youll get an interview soon. its still early and some schools are just starting to invite people for interviews

You're gpa is a better than mine though because yousr can be rounded up to 3.7 and mine def. can't so I can see why maybe thats why you're getting the call backs so much faster than ppl like me whose gpa is a bit lower but at the same time mine is higher than so many others so I would think i'd hear before them. It's stuff like that which I can't decipher and it makes me wonder how I don't have an interview yet when my stats and stuff is just as or more competitive. I know a lot of things factor in but if they break it down to plain numbers so much too then using that reasoning I would think that I would/should have heard something by now.

I'm anxious, but I'm not going nuts over it. Possibly because I'm working full time in finance, my hours are occupied and not left wondering. I'm not feeling all that bad, because while I'm waiting, I'm making decent bank at my current job and saving a good deal of money. It's disappointing, but hang in there. Keep yourself busy with extracurriculars/dental related activities/work, and you'll have a good response for when you do get an interview and are asked, "So, what have you been doing this past year ?"
Are you doing something dental related at the same time? I have a full time job too but if anythign I just go more nuts at work and check my email all the time and am not really into my job as a result because this si still my focus and attention-stress getter.

Are you doing something dental related at the same time? I have a full time job too but if anythign I just go more nuts at work and check my email all the time and am not really into my job as a result because this si still my focus and attention-stress getter.

Heh. I am willing to bet that my department logs our AIM chats as well as websites that we log onto. They even have ESPN blocked, so it's much harder to waste time at the computer. With all the useless meetings they hold, my time might be better spent training a tambourine toting dancing monkey.

As far as working dental stuff into a full time job, it's doable, but it's taxing. I reworked my schedule to accommodate dental volunteering at a clinic near my home. I feel close to burning out, and it's not even December yet. My fiance is pretty understanding about it, and volunteers with me. If you have a significant other, it makes it tougher, but you'll find a way to make it work.

Heh. I am willing to bet that my department logs our AIM chats as well as websites that we log onto. They even have ESPN blocked, so it's much harder to waste time at the computer. With all the useless meetings they hold, my time might be better spent training a tambourine toting dancing monkey.

As far as working dental stuff into a full time job, it's doable, but it's taxing. I reworked my schedule to accommodate dental volunteering at a clinic near my home. I feel close to burning out, and it's not even December yet. My fiance is pretty understanding about it, and volunteers with me. If you have a significant other, it makes it tougher, but you'll find a way to make it work.

Aww that is so precious. She's definitely a keeper :thumbup:

Have you contacted your schools? My stats are a worse than yours, but I've had 4 interviews so far. I think this is largely due to putting forth extra effort by calling and speaking with admissions staff to initiate the process. This will help attach a personality to an application full of inanimate numbers. For example, I just spoke to the dean of admissions at LSU, and after a couple of emails and a quick chat over the telephone he offered me an interview over the phone. Charm them a bit by contacting them.

anyone else find calling to be a great help? I just don't know what is approproate to talk about without being annoying or seeming dumb for not following their do not call instructions but thats so awesoem that calling worked so well.

It really makes me want to call but I just dunno what to chat abotut yet.

hey,

I dont understand why ur not getting any love. How are your letters of rec? Extracurricular activities?

hey,

I dont understand why ur not getting any love. How are your letters of rec? Extracurricular activities?

awww thanks that's exactly what I don't get! I have plenty of interesting extra currics and i dont' know what my letters say but its' from teachers that I knew me well and happily agreed to write them so I am assuming they are wonderful! I guess just seeing the scores and gpas and submission dates taht others have and get interviews with still baffles me sometimes because accordingly I would def. think I should have heard at least some good thing by now.

Gotta stay patient I guess.