THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm not sure if this goes in here.. but uh, here goes.

This is my first post here at studentdoctor.net, so please bear with me if I am posting in the wrong section or have broken some sort of rule. I apologize if I have done so, and will delete my post, if necessary.
---------------------

I am currently enrolled in a community college. It is my first fall semester; however, I have completed some courses over the summer and earned some credit for courses through Advanced Placement test scores. I graduated high school c/o 2008.

I am interested in the career of pharmacy and have mapped out my course schedule for the next two years at my community college. I have incorporated the prerequisite courses for UCSF and Midwestern University-CPG into my schedule, with the intent of applying to those two graduate schools as a fall 2010 applicant.

I am here to ask you all my chances of gaining admission into these graduate schools with my planned profile over the next year.

a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF, Midwestern University-CPG

b. Overall GPA
I have only completed 28 semester units so far via summer courses, so my GPA is currently 3.82. I expect it to be much lower by this time next year. :(

c. Math/Science GPA
With the two math courses (10 semester units) I have taken.. 3.5.

d. GPA in last one or two school years
n/a

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)

n/a

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I am registerd to take the PTCE this December and plan on applying to work as a pharmacy technician in early 2009. Hopefully, by the time I apply to UCSF and Midwestern, I will have had at least 6 months of experience as a pharmacy technician.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
n/a

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
I believe I will be obtaining two letters of recommendation. I plan on getting the first LOR from the pharmacist I will be working with, as a pharmacy technician. The second letter will likely be from either a) my physics professor or b) some biology-related professor who I haven't met yet :)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
I have been volunteering for a local hospital since 2006. I have other miscellaneous volunteer work from high school (breast cancer walks, children-related things..), though I do not know if that is applicable. Out of high school I had maybe 350 hours of documented service.

As for non-pharmacy work, I am currently working two jobs: ones as a personal tutor and the other as a secretary for an accountant :whistle:

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I have been told that the way I carry myself makes me appear very mature and much older than my age; however, I do not think that I am particularly excellent in answering interview questions. When caught off guard, I just don't know what to say :(

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
n/a. Note: I feel that writing is my weakness.

If it gives you a better idea of how academically motivated (..?) I am, out of high school I was accepted into UC Davis, UC Irvine, and University of the Pacific's 6 year pre-pharmacy program, with an Honors Program invitation.

I understand that I will be applying with no degree, whatsoever. In the event that I am unable to gain admission into UCSF or Midwestern, my backup plan is to transfer to some UC and get my BS before applying again.

But until then, I am here to ask for your thoughts on my chances :) To be honest, I think my chances are nearly non-existent.

..but it doesn't hurt to try applying, right? :p

Members don't see this ad.

Being that you only have a few units completed it is very hard to say what your chances are. Try your absolute hardest to get A's and keep your eye on the prize.

One thing I'm curious about though: Why are you attending a CC given the schools you were accepted into? Especially the 6 yr program at UOP...That was your entrance into pharmacy school right there. Financial issues?

Hi. I'm not sure if this goes in here.. but uh, here goes.

I am interested in the career of pharmacy and have mapped out my course schedule for the next two years at my community college. I have incorporated the prerequisite courses for UCSF and Midwestern University-CPG into my schedule, with the intent of applying to those two graduate schools as a fall 2010 applicant.

I am here to ask you all my chances of gaining admission into these graduate schools with my planned profile over the next year.

:p

I don't know about Midwestern, but its very rare for someone to get accepted into UCSF with no bachelor's degree, and only community college. If I'm not wrong I think about 2 people in the class of 2010 got accepted without a Bachelor's Degree. I transferred from a community college into UC Berkeley to get my Bachelor's Degree. I don't think UCSF has anything against community college units. In my experience though, community college was a lot easier than UC Berkeley, so keep that GPA up! It's a long road ahead, but with enough determination you can do it ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
No reason not to try out of state schools, but I would certainly try to improve on your PCATs. You said you did it a while ago, and most schools require them to be taken within 2-3 years.

Actually I just took my PCAT in Oct. My worry is that not a lot of school take international students and my stats are not that perfect as compared to other people....Any suggestions on the application or what I should work on? Should I go get a winter volunteery work in a hospital to have more extracurricular or should I just apply and hand in the application right now??

Thanks guys for your help!

Actually I just took my PCAT in Oct. My worry is that not a lot of school take international students and my stats are not that perfect as compared to other people....Any suggestions on the application or what I should work on? Should I go get a winter volunteery work in a hospital to have more extracurricular or should I just apply and hand in the application right now??

Thanks guys for your help!

I don't know what I was thinking with that post. Maybe someone deleted their initial post, which makes more sense from what I wrote. Your GPA is excellent, so you should be getting some interviews. It's true that international students are limited as to where they apply (ie. I couldn't apply to UH-Hilo or UNM, even though my wife likes the areas :p), so look at the student profiles from previous years. PharmCAS has stats available on the school pages, and looking at the individual websites helps as well. Getting more volunteer work/experience only boosts your application, so there's no harm there. But applying early is crucial to acceptance. Good luck!

UCSD
UCSF
USC
Pacific
Touro
Loma Linda
Creighton
Western
OSU
Midwestern Glendale
Philadelphia
Colorado
Washington State

b. Overall GPA - 3.25 GPA

c. Math/Science GPA - 3.1 GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.4 GPA

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - Took in Oct (still waiting :-( but don't think i did good)

100+ hours volunteering at a hospital shadowing pharmacists
Research with pharmacists on Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy
Research with Western University Graduate in Causes for Candidemia in newborns and infants in the hospital
Research with UCSD pharmacy professor on antidepressants effects on neo-natal development
Case-report regarding thrush in a patient receiving candidemia
Awaiting to get published for the OPAT study and the anti-fungal case report
No retail experience though (i didnt know if i should do this)

9/13/2008 (Pharmcas Submitted)
10/08/2008 (Secondary Submitted to CA Schools)
Still working on out of state schools

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

4 LOR
UCSD Associate Professor of Pharmacy
Pharmacists at Long Beach Memorial Care - Mentor for OPAT Study
History Professor from UCI - took 4 classes with him all A's (I am a history minor)

100+ hour hospital volunteer
Volunteered at annually at AIDS Walk, Relay for Life
Conducted Philanthropy through my on campus organization and raised over 5000+ dollars to the American Cancer society and the American Heart Association
Worked at tutoring center for 2+ years and tutor students ages 2 - 18 in both math and reading
Worked as a in home tutor for Next Level Tutoring
Work for ASUCI

I am a very socialble person and i am sure i know what i am talking about in regards to my experiences in the pharmacy profession and what pharmacy has done for me in my life and how it can affect me in the future.

Incorporated how pharmacy experience and personal experience (Dad's diagnosis of cancer this past year) has shaped me and why i want to go to pharmacy. Strong personal statement

What do you guys think? Do you think i have a shot in california or any of the schools i applied? :-(

UCSD
UCSF
USC
Pacific
Touro
Loma Linda
Creighton
Western
OSU
Midwestern Glendale
Philadelphia
Colorado
Washington State

b. Overall GPA - 3.25 GPA

c. Math/Science GPA - 3.1 GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.4 GPA

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - Took in Oct (still waiting :-( but don't think i did good)

100+ hours volunteering at a hospital shadowing pharmacists
Research with pharmacists on Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy
Research with Western University Graduate in Causes for Candidemia in newborns and infants in the hospital
Research with UCSD pharmacy professor on antidepressants effects on neo-natal development
Case-report regarding thrush in a patient receiving candidemia
Awaiting to get published for the OPAT study and the anti-fungal case report
No retail experience though (i didnt know if i should do this)

9/13/2008 (Pharmcas Submitted)
10/08/2008 (Secondary Submitted to CA Schools)
Still working on out of state schools

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

4 LOR
UCSD Associate Professor of Pharmacy
Pharmacists at Long Beach Memorial Care - Mentor for OPAT Study
History Professor from UCI - took 4 classes with him all A's (I am a history minor)

100+ hour hospital volunteer
Volunteered at annually at AIDS Walk, Relay for Life
Conducted Philanthropy through my on campus organization and raised over 5000+ dollars to the American Cancer society and the American Heart Association
Worked at tutoring center for 2+ years and tutor students ages 2 - 18 in both math and reading
Worked as a in home tutor for Next Level Tutoring
Work for ASUCI

I am a very socialble person and i am sure i know what i am talking about in regards to my experiences in the pharmacy profession and what pharmacy has done for me in my life and how it can affect me in the future.

Incorporated how pharmacy experience and personal experience (Dad's diagnosis of cancer this past year) has shaped me and why i want to go to pharmacy. Strong personal statement

What do you guys think? Do you think i have a shot in california or any of the schools i applied? :-(

1) your overall GPA is somewhat low, but still in a good range to potentially land an interview; although, by waiting until Oct 8th to submit your supplementals you may have lost a little bit of ground.
2) your EC's are EXCELLENT. I believe these are going to interest many adcoms, very impressive.
3) You sound like you have great interpersonal skills so provided you can land an interview, you should have no problem.
4) You applied to a high volume of schools, good idea.

Overall, I like your odds. I wish you the best.

Being that you only have a few units completed it is very hard to say what your chances are. Try your absolute hardest to get A's and keep your eye on the prize.

One thing I'm curious about though: Why are you attending a CC given the schools you were accepted into? Especially the 6 yr program at UOP...That was your entrance into pharmacy school right there. Financial issues?
Haha yes. Financial issues.

I don't know about Midwestern, but its very rare for someone to get accepted into UCSF with no bachelor's degree, and only community college. If I'm not wrong I think about 2 people in the class of 2010 got accepted without a Bachelor's Degree. I transferred from a community college into UC Berkeley to get my Bachelor's Degree. I don't think UCSF has anything against community college units. In my experience though, community college was a lot easier than UC Berkeley, so keep that GPA up! It's a long road ahead, but with enough determination you can do it ;)
UCSF is my reach school. If I get in, I will be thrilled. If I don't, I'm not surprised. haha :laugh: I'm actually hoping on Midwestern University. I'm also considering applying to USN and Pacific University, though. As for transfering, my first choice would actually be UC Berkeley. If that doesn't work out, UCLA. If not that, then UC Davis through TAG. haha. I believe that would be the end of my series of back up plans. lol :p

Haha yes. Financial issues.

UCSF is my reach school. If I get in, I will be thrilled. If I don't, I'm not surprised. haha :laugh: I'm actually hoping on Midwestern University. I'm also considering applying to USN and Pacific University, though. As for transfering, my first choice would actually be UC Berkeley. If that doesn't work out, UCLA. If not that, then UC Davis through TAG. haha. I believe that would be the end of my series of back up plans. lol :p

I am thoroughly confused. You were already accepted into the UOP 4+2 pharmacy program but you declined bc of financial issues; yet, you say here that you are considering applying to it again? Either you've won the lottery since you declined the offer or you had no idea what you were turning down to begin with. Also, UCLA does not have a pharmacy program and neither does UC Davis.

I am thoroughly confused. You were already accepted into the UOP 4+2 pharmacy program but you declined bc of financial issues; yet, you say here that you are considering applying to it again? Either you've won the lottery since you declined the offer or you had no idea what you were turning down to begin with. Also, UCLA does not have a pharmacy program and neither does UC Davis.
I am not applying to University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA) again. I am considering applying to Pacific University (Forest Grove, OR). Haha :p

Basically, I am applying to some pharmacy schools after two years at a community college (no degree). In the event that I am unable to gain admission to the pharmacy schools I apply to, then I plan on transferring to an undergraduate college (a University of California) to pursue a Bachelor of Science [and perhaps re-evaluate my interest in pharmacy]. After earning my BS, I will apply again to some graduate schools. No pharmacy program-related intent for undergraduate schooling.

I noticed you didn't mention UC Berkeley, though. Do they have a pharmacy program? :)

My friend has a 3.17 overall gpa, 2.81 sci gpa, 75 PCAT score, no degree, a year and a half of experience as a pharm tech, donated $5,000 to a homeless care group which helped a homeless couple get put into an apartment. He also helps these people and others who live in shelters by supplying them and aiding with pharmaceutical products. He has also told me that he has an awesome personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Since he has a bunch of the requirements completed since this is his 4th year, he tells me that he plans to apply to at least 30 schools. Do you think that he will get in somewhere since he will be applying to this many schools? He always asks for my opinion but I really do not know. What do you guys think?

My friend has a 3.17 overall gpa, 2.81 sci gpa, 75 PCAT score, no degree, a year and a half of experience as a pharm tech, donated $5,000 to a homeless care group which helped a homeless couple get put into an apartment. He also helps these people and others who live in shelters by supplying them and aiding with pharmaceutical products. He has also told me that he has an awesome personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Since he has a bunch of the requirements completed since this is his 4th year, he tells me that he plans to apply to at least 30 schools. Do you think that he will get in somewhere since he will be applying to this many schools? He always asks for my opinion but I really do not know. What do you guys think?

In my opinion...

1.) gpa is on the low end, especially the science gpa (some schools require you have at least a 3.0 sceince gpa). PCAT is ok--make sure he applies early. The majority of accepted applicants at a lot of schools already have a degree, so not having one is gunna' drop odds.
3.) ECs aren't that impressive. Zero pharmacy experience?
2.) There is no way he is going to apply to 30+ schools. It's easy to say, but not so easy to do. Talk to the people on here who did 15 schools and ask them if they think they could have done double that.

I would say odds aren't very good unless he applies first thing in June to a bunch of schools (but 30 just isn't realistic). Get some pharmacy experience and improve the PCAT to counterbalance the low gpa.

In my opinion...

1.) gpa is on the low end, especially the science gpa (some schools require you have at least a 3.0 sceince gpa). PCAT is ok--make sure he applies early. The majority of accepted applicants at a lot of schools already have a degree, so not having one is gunna' drop odds.
3.) ECs aren't that impressive. Zero pharmacy experience?
2.) There is no way he is going to apply to 30+ schools. It's easy to say, but not so easy to do. Talk to the people on here who did 15 schools and ask them if they think they could have done double that.

I would say odds aren't very good unless he applies first thing in June to a bunch of schools (but 30 just isn't realistic). Get some pharmacy experience and improve the PCAT to counterbalance the low gpa.

So being a Pharmacy Technician for a year and a half has nothing to do with pharmacy experience?

Members don't see this ad :)

GPA is good, not stellar, but certainly better than mine. His PCAT is fair. If all the scores are in the 70's, he should be okay, but if there're any scores below 70, I would definitely redo the PCAT. He has some experience so that will look good. His volunteer work is outstanding, absolutely commendable and impressive. I wish more people would be willing to do some of those things he does. As far as applying to 30 schools, he should seriously consider which programs he applies to. California is very tough to get into with anything below 3.3, and Texas is also difficult. I evaluated every school in the US before I started applying, and I only found ~15/100+ that I thought I'd be competitive in. Turns out I was competitive enough for 3 schools, but that's besides the point. I think he's a very balanced applicant, and if he's taking any more courses, get as high a grade as he can in all of them. A's look better than anything. Best of luck!:)

So being a Pharmacy Technician for a year and a half has nothing to do with pharmacy experience?

Obviously I read over that and missed it. Relax.

Oh, and Detroit is going to crash and burn this season. Worst trade I have ever seen.

GPA is good, not stellar, but certainly better than mine. His PCAT is fair. If all the scores are in the 70's, he should be okay, but if there're any scores below 70, I would definitely redo the PCAT. He has some experience so that will look good. His volunteer work is outstanding, absolutely commendable and impressive. I wish more people would be willing to do some of those things he does. As far as applying to 30 schools, he should seriously consider which programs he applies to. California is very tough to get into with anything below 3.3, and Texas is also difficult. I evaluated every school in the US before I started applying, and I only found ~15/100+ that I thought I'd be competitive in. Turns out I was competitive enough for 3 schools, but that's besides the point. I think he's a very balanced applicant, and if he's taking any more courses, get as high a grade as he can in all of them. A's look better than anything. Best of luck!:)

Did any of those 15 schools include newer schools that are less than 4 years old? He told me that he is applying to 9 of those schools since they are less competitive.

Did any of those 15 schools include newer schools that are less than 4 years old? He told me that he is applying to 9 of those schools since they are less competitive.
Applying to 15 schools is hard. It is alot to keep track of. Alot of supplementals to fill out, and essays. Trying 30 would mean they have little time to do anything else.

Applying to 15 schools is hard. It is alot to keep track of. Alot of supplementals to fill out, and essays. Trying 30 would mean they have little time to do anything else.

Not to mention the price. ~$75 X 30 = $2,250 in supplementals alone.

So do you think that this guy would even have time to handle 1 science class in the same semester in which he is applying to all of those schools?

Also, if he worked at his supplementals and essays and things like that nonstop how long do you think he would be able to complete all of the applications for the 30+ schools?

So do you think that this guy would even have time to handle 1 science class in the same semester in which he is applying to all of those schools?

Also, if he worked at his supplementals and essays and things like that nonstop how long do you think he would be able to complete all of the applications for the 30+ schools?

The problem with that idea is that it isn't really possible to work "nonstop" at supplementals and essays... You get burned out so quickly, even when you are highly motivated. Talking about yourself and how great you are gets tiring and sometimes it is very difficult to figure out just what exactly they are looking for with some of the questions. I found that even if I took frequent breaks (i.e. I get to have lunch after I finish an essay), I would still reach a point when I really just couldn't do any more application stuff that day.

Futhermore, if applying to 30 schools (which is outrageous and unnecessary... if he is awesome enough to get the chance to become a pharmacist, it definitely shouldn't take that many schools to get one acceptance).... prioritizing is an absolute must, as deadlines vary, and as a result of getting burned out from all the applying, some of the applications would probably end up being "finished" but not necessarily the best they could have been.

Out of those 15, I think Sullivan was the only new program I considered, and that's because my in-laws live about 9 miles from campus. It took me 2 full weeks to answer all the essay questions the schools wanted. Michigan was really tough. They wanted everything about me. I eventually rescinded my app because they wanted my high school grades. I haven't been in high school for 9 years, have an undergraduate degree, and they still want to see what I did back then. Some were easy, some were hard, and they all require time. Whether or not the newer schools are competitive or not, it's difficult to get in anywhere. He should play to his strengths, and go from there. I for one evaluated several categories before I even considered applying, such as # accepted/# applications, emphasis on experience and PCAT scores (two very strong areas for me), degree advantage, if they took international students (cause I'm Canadian :D:thumbup:), grade forgiveness which I had never heard of until last year. My first 2 years were awful, but my final two were excellent, and my pre-req GPA gets boosted by grade forgiveness by more than a point. Also, some schools wouldn't respond to my questions, so I crossed them off too. If they can't spend 5 mins answering my email, I'm not willing to waste my time applying to their program. If I were him, I would get everything organized this year, and apply with a vengeance in June. To apply to 30 schools this year is extreme, and if they use rolling admissions, the chances dwindle every day. I applied early, and I think that really helped me in getting accepted. PM me if you want to see the spreadsheet I made up.

Out of those 15, I think Sullivan was the only new program I considered, and that's because my in-laws live about 9 miles from campus. It took me 2 full weeks to answer all the essay questions the schools wanted. Michigan was really tough. They wanted everything about me. I eventually rescinded my app because they wanted my high school grades. I haven't been in high school for 9 years, have an undergraduate degree, and they still want to see what I did back then. Some were easy, some were hard, and they all require time. Whether or not the newer schools are competitive or not, it's difficult to get in anywhere. He should play to his strengths, and go from there. I for one evaluated several categories before I even considered applying, such as # accepted/# applications, emphasis on experience and PCAT scores (two very strong areas for me), degree advantage, if they took international students (cause I'm Canadian :D:thumbup:), grade forgiveness which I had never heard of until last year. My first 2 years were awful, but my final two were excellent, and my pre-req GPA gets boosted by grade forgiveness by more than a point. Also, some schools wouldn't respond to my questions, so I crossed them off too. If they can't spend 5 mins answering my email, I'm not willing to waste my time applying to their program. If I were him, I would get everything organized this year, and apply with a vengeance in June. To apply to 30 schools this year is extreme, and if they use rolling admissions, the chances dwindle every day. I applied early, and I think that really helped me in getting accepted. PM me if you want to see the spreadsheet I made up.

So if my friend maintains his stats, gets everything organized, becomes more prepared and applies to all of those schools that have rolling admissions in let's say, next September, would his chances increase significantly than if he were to apply right now?

So if my friend maintains his stats, gets everything organized, becomes more prepared and applies to all of those schools that have rolling admissions in let's say, next September, would his chances increase significantly than if he were to apply right now?

Probably, but who really knows? Nobody. It's all so arbitrary and we are all just people with opinions. Why doesn't your "friend" just find out for himself and apply? This whole WAMC thing is arbitrary. What's the real point of asking for other people's opinions or other people's 'stats' over the internet? To make you feel better about applying? You will never really know until you, sorry, your friend, just sucks it up and applies.

PistonFan531, it seems like you really really care about your friend. He/she must be really important for you.

PistonFan531, it seems like you really really care about your friend. He/she must be really important for you.

LOL yes the guy is my best friend. We hang out just about everyday and it really saddens me to see him this stressed out. He is always like, "dude, do you think I have a solid shot? If I don't get in I will feel like the world's biggest loser considering how much I've studied and all of the money that I have spent." I really don't know what to tell him in regards to his chances so I thought it would be a good idea to ask here. And yea, his family has pretty big expectations of him and he will feel like he would have let them down big time if he does not get in.

LOL yes the guy is my best friend. We hang out just about everyday and it really saddens me to see him this stressed out. He is always like, "dude, do you think I have a solid shot? If I don't get in I will feel like the world's biggest loser considering how much I've studied and all of the money that I have spent." I really don't know what to tell him in regards to his chances so I thought it would be a good idea to ask here. And yea, his family has pretty big expectations of him and he will feel like he would have let them down big time if he does not get in.

Your posts show you are truly a good friend.

Tell your best friend to personally search through this website for himself. There are many who post their stats and pharmacy experiences here. You never know, it might realistically help him get a good feel of his chances of getting an interview invite or possibly, admissions.

lastly, tell him if pharmacy is truly what he wants to do then don't give up, keep up the hard work, and don't lose hope.

where there is a will, there is a way :)

If he were to apply to schools with rolling admissions now, his chances would be less than if he had applied in September. If schools have a set deadline (say Dec.1), and don't have rolling admissions, he has a fair shot either way. In my experience, applying to schools with rolling admissions at the deadline (as opposed to early) reduces your chances of getting in, whereas schools with one deadline and no form of early entry (ED or RA), he has as good a chance as anyone. For me, what worked best was applying early. Last year I barely made most of the deadlines, and I didn't get in. This year, I had everything in place, applied early and got in. The choice is his. And don't forget, every year it gets more competitive.

I think he should retake the PCAT. That will help his chances to offset the low GPA. Shoot for somewhere in the 90s. I would also suggest not applying to 30 schools. It's better to pick smart.

I think he should retake the PCAT. That will help his chances to offset the low GPA. Shoot for somewhere in the 90s. I would also suggest not applying to 30 schools. It's better to pick smart.

To further what fenixtnlfan stressed at the end of the above post; it is absolutely imperative to pick the right pharmacy schools to apply to. And if he does this, your friend's 75 PCAT is sufficient to offset that 3.1 GPA and he does not need a retake unless he is confident he has what it takes to seriously raise the composite to above an 80.

If his math, biology, and chemistry subscores are respectively above 70s, and reading/verbal is above 50 then I advise against a retake. Apply early and apply carefully (example: Apply to all your pre-candidate pharmacy schools) and I assure you if your friends does his research right, he will receive a few interview invites and be a step closer to admissions. :)

I'm in the first year general science right now, and I'm going to apply to Pharmacy to enter in 2010, and this is what I expect my stats will look like:

University of Alberta
b. Overall GPA
3.8/4.0
c. Math/Science GPA
3.7/4.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.8/4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
PCAT not required
Volunteer at Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy 4 hours per week for the last two years

No interview is required, so I didn't take the time to complete the optional things.

Thanks!

Last edited:
UofA really considers GPA, so if you have a 3.7-4.0, you should do fine. I think their minimum is 3.5 though, so definitely don't go below that. Good luck!

So, for the first time in a very long time I am becoming a bit stressed about applying to pharmacy school. I'm actually getting worried about getting into pharmacy school due to a low GPA. My health has had some play in this. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome and Neurocardiogenic Syncope and boy has it taken a toll on me for the past 7 years. Anyway, here are my stats:

2.89GPA:(
2.78 Science GPA:(
PCATS:79:), October scores pending...
Obtaining B.S. in Biology in Spring of 2009
2 years of Research and a Co-Author of published scientific paper:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
No Pharmacy Experience:thumbdown:
Strong LOR's:thumbup::thumbup:
Extracurriculars: Pre-Pharm Society and Students for Suicide Awareness and Prevention (discontinued)....

My GPA will definately increase to about 2.93ish, but I was wondering, is it possible that my GPA could cause my application to be thrown out all together and if not, what is it that Adcomms actually look at when they decide not to throw it out? I have heard of individuals getting in with Sub 3.0 GPA's but I'm starting to really feel bummed about this whole situation. I know GPA isn't everything but it tends to be the deciding factor for some schools and I'm just praying that they give me a chance. I explained my situation in the Personal Statement as well. Any advice, tips, concerns? Any bit of information is welcomed. Schools I'm applying to are: UF, Nova, Hawaii, Chicago State, LECOM, California NorthState, and maybe FAMU if I figure out how to apply and whether its worth my time cause I know I'll probably get rejected..

So, for the first time in a very long time I am becoming a bit stressed about applying to pharmacy school. I'm actually getting worried about getting into pharmacy school due to a low GPA. My health has had some play in this. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome and Neurocardiogenic Syncope and boy has it taken a toll on me for the past 7 years. Anyway, here are my stats:

2 years of Research and a Co-Author of published scientific paper:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Extracurriculars: Pre-Pharm Society and Students for Suicide Awareness and Prevention (discontinued)....

My GPA will definately increase to about 2.93ish, but I was wondering, is it possible that my GPA could cause my application to be thrown out all together and if not, what is it that Adcomms actually look at when they decide not to throw it out? I have heard of individuals getting in with Sub 3.0 GPA's but I'm starting to really feel bummed about this whole situation. I know GPA isn't everything but it tends to be the deciding factor for some schools and I'm just praying that they give me a chance. I explained my situation in the Personal Statement as well. Any advice, tips, concerns? Any bit of information is welcomed. Schools I'm applying to are: UF, Nova, Hawaii, Chicago State, LECOM, California NorthState, and maybe FAMU if I figure out how to apply and whether its worth my time cause I know I'll probably get rejected..

I think you will be fine.....Your GPA is not bad and you have a descent PCAT score....Don't stress, you don't want anything worse happening with your heart....How is everything going with your health now???? Did you always have a heart problem, what happened, if you don't mine me asking????

I think you will be fine.....Your GPA is not bad and you have a descent PCAT score....Don't stress, you don't want anything worse happening with your heart....How is everything going with your health now???? Did you always have a heart problem, what happened, if you don't mine me asking????

No, it's quite alright. I've actually been struggling with it lately. I'm on my 4th round of medications for this condition (I didn't metabolize the last ones very well and the two before that were actually making the condition worse). I get waves of head aches and dizziness which usually leads to nausea and then severe chest pains. It's an experience like none other and I wouldn't wish it on ANYONE. In fact, my Japanese professor this semester is planning on having me meet my Japanese professor for next semester and go over my symptoms and ways to deal with it just in case in occurs in her class. I've had a few episodes in the class and I'm always embarrased about it, possibly because I feel vulnerable and the fact that it disrupts class. But I guess it's apart of life.

I have probably had it since I was 12, because that's when I first noticed symptoms, but my family always told me it was gas. Then, when I was a sophomore in HS I had a severe episode right before a basketball game. I was relying on sports to get me into college and maybe a career in basketball or volleyball, but that all came tumbling down. I missed class almost every week. Had to go on Home Bound Schooling for a month and a half but when I finally convinced my dad to let me go back to school I was told I wouldn't be able to graduate unless I finished all the work from Fall semester and completed the work from Spring Semester.... Of course no one believed in me, so I was kind of alone but I got through it, got into UF and am trying ever so hard to pursue Pharmacy. It's funny, almost, because if it hadn't been for this dreadful condition I wouldn't have the passion for pharmcy as I do now. So I'm kinda thankful, in a weird, twisted way:laugh:. But yeah I probably shouldnt be stressing, because that always makes the symptoms occur more frequently. However, I can't help but feel a bit timid. It was my desire to be a pharmacist that got me out that situation in HS, and I'm now on the borderline... I hope things go well for me, AND you Chase Pharm! Thanks for caring about my problem. Really appreciate it. As we say in Japanese: がんばって(Ganbatte=Good Luck; Go For it!)

All you can do is apply. If you do not get in this time around, you could take some postbacc classes. Don't give up, you have plenty of chances at this.

2 years of Research and a Co-Author of published scientific paper:thumbup:

i'm no expert, but I think you GPA is ok. Some schools even specify their mininum GPA as a 2.5 :)eek:!). Your extracurriculars sound great and its good that you have strong LORs. I'm worried about the lack of pharm exposure... but there are schools that don't require/expect that (i dont know if any of your schools do). A lot of programs look at the whole package. I think it's good that you mentioned your difficulties in your personal statement, and I think it's great that you're still applying! So in addition to lack of pharm experience, definitely try and get the pcat up (to possibly make up for any doubts on your GPA).. hopefully your october score was a little better :thumbup: Are you looking to get any pharmacy experience soon? I know you're probably really busy and already have solid LORs, but I think it might still benefit you. Good luck to you!

i'm no expert, but I think you GPA is ok. Some schools even specify their mininum GPA as a 2.5 :)eek:!). Your extracurriculars sound great and its good that you have strong LORs. I'm worried about the lack of pharm exposure... but there are schools that don't require/expect that (i dont know if any of your schools do). A lot of programs look at the whole package. I think it's good that you mentioned your difficulties in your personal statement, and I think it's great that you're still applying! So in addition to lack of pharm experience, definitely try and get the pcat up (to possibly make up for any doubts on your GPA).. hopefully your october score was a little better :thumbup: Are you looking to get any pharmacy experience soon? I know you're probably really busy and already have solid LORs, but I think it might still benefit you. Good luck to you!

Yeah My PCATs will hopefully increase. If not, there's always January, and I know I will be studying during Winter. I wanted to work at a Pharmacy, but I work for my research lab now. So, I was thinking of shadowing at a compounding pharmacy nearby, but My application is already in. I should probably check into it, but I'm not sure if you can add that to pharmcas after submission :(...

No, it's quite alright. I've actually been struggling with it lately. I'm on my 4th round of medications for this condition (I didn't metabolize the last ones very well and the two before that were actually making the condition worse). I get waves of head aches and dizziness which usually leads to nausea and then severe chest pains. It's an experience like none other and I wouldn't wish it on ANYONE. In fact, my Japanese professor this semester is planning on having me meet my Japanese professor for next semester and go over my symptoms and ways to deal with it just in case in occurs in her class. I've had a few episodes in the class and I'm always embarrased about it, possibly because I feel vulnerable and the fact that it disrupts class. But I guess it's apart of life.

I have probably had it since I was 12, because that's when I first noticed symptoms, but my family always told me it was gas. Then, when I was a sophomore in HS I had a severe episode right before a basketball game. I was relying on sports to get me into college and maybe a career in basketball or volleyball, but that all came tumbling down. I missed class almost every week. Had to go on Home Bound Schooling for a month and a half but when I finally convinced my dad to let me go back to school I was told I wouldn't be able to graduate unless I finished all the work from Fall semester and completed the work from Spring Semester.... Of course no one believed in me, so I was kind of alone but I got through it, got into UF and am trying ever so hard to pursue Pharmacy. It's funny, almost, because if it hadn't been for this dreadful condition I wouldn't have the passion for pharmcy as I do now. So I'm kinda thankful, in a weird, twisted way:laugh:. But yeah I probably shouldnt be stressing, because that always makes the symptoms occur more frequently. However, I can't help but feel a bit timid. It was my desire to be a pharmacist that got me out that situation in HS, and I'm now on the borderline... I hope things go well for me, AND you Chase Pharm! Thanks for caring about my problem. Really appreciate it. As we say in Japanese: がんばって(Ganbatte=Good Luck; Go For it!)

That's a coincidence, UF is my #1 choice too....I live in Orlando Florida so I would really like to get into the Orlando campus, but that will be pretty slim to none......

I don't want you to worry about a thing...You are going to be very successful, I can tell!!!:) Just have faith in God...Trust me, he's there for you....

I am 31 and have always been healthy, I even served in the Army for six years . In January this year, I got really sick, I would feel like I was going to pass out, having a heart attack, always sick and the doctors did not know what was wrong with me...I was soooo scared because all of the tests came out negative...I must've went to the emergency room about a dozen times....I would always leave the emergency room angry because the doctors didn't know what was going on...To be honest, I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like this...But I kept on praying and everything is okay with me...Thank God....I have acid reflux and occasional anxiety attacks.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can message me anytime...

Take care and God bless!!!

I'm a high school senior that's pretty nervous about my acceptance rate. I have a high GPA, with low SAT scores. (I plan on retaking them on 12/6 after my SAT prep class is done.)

Schools
1.) Mass. college of pharm and health sciences (boston.)
2.)Albany College of Pharmacy
3.)Juniata College
4.)Campbell University
5.)Long Island University (Brooklyn campus.)
6.)Western New England College
7.)Virginia Commonwealth University

GPA (Thus far in the school year)

SAT
Math - 470
Crit. Read - 540
Writing - 440

My top school is MCPHS, and I'd like to get into the direct entry program. Do I have a good chance?

That's a coincidence, UF is my #1 choice too....I live in Orlando Florida so I would really like to get into the Orlando campus, but that will be pretty slim to none......

I don't want you to worry about a thing...You are going to be very successful, I can tell!!!:) Just have faith in God...Trust me, he's there for you....

I am 31 and have always been healthy, I even served in the Army for six years . In January this year, I got really sick, I would feel like I was going to pass out, having a heart attack, always sick and the doctors did not know what was wrong with me...I was soooo scared because all of the tests came out negative...I must've went to the emergency room about a dozen times....I would always leave the emergency room angry because the doctors didn't know what was going on...To be honest, I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like this...But I kept on praying and everything is okay with me...Thank God....I have acid reflux and occasional anxiety attacks.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can message me anytime...

Take care and God bless!!!

Oh, wow, I'm from Orlando and am trying to get admitted to the Orlando campus as well, but much like you I'm not sure if that will happen....

I'm sorry you had to endure that process, but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I I thank God everyday I am alive and try to stay close with him as much as possible. I'm sure you'll get in! I'll be praying for you:)!

Oh, wow, I'm from Orlando and am trying to get admitted to the Orlando campus as well, but much like you I'm not sure if that will happen....

I'm sorry you had to endure that process, but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I I thank God everyday I am alive and try to stay close with him as much as possible. I'm sure you'll get in! I'll be praying for you:)!

You're exactly right about that!!! That whole experience made me very thankful and realize alot about life...

Are you trying to get in for fall 09 or are you going to take more classes??? I think you should apply and go for it...I have alot more classes to take before I can even apply, but if I don't get UF, I'm definitely going for NOVA...Have you looked into that yet????

As long as you apply to pharmacy schools that don't have a minimum overall Science GPA of 2.5, then you'll be fine.

91 composite is impressive. If the age of this score is accepted, then the 91 will definitely help you get a few interview invites.

good luck :)
hi guys...just a new member. i would like to know what u guys think of my chance to get into pharmacy schools
overall GPA: 3.77
science/math:3.88/4.0
pcat: waitin for result, took in 18 october 08. also i applied to Buffalo, Howard, Wingate and Purdue and i only have 40 credits of pre pharm....
So wat u guys think:rolleyes:

hi guys...just a new member. i would like to know what u guys think of my chance to get into pharmacy schools
pcat: waitin for result, took in 18 october 08. also i applied to Buffalo, Howard, Wingate and Purdue and i only have 40 credits of pre pharm....
In my opinion, you will have less than 50% chances because you only have 40 credits. You have a good GPA, and no Pcat score, no pharmacy experience. To increase your chances, need to finish as much pre-pharm classes as poosible. Also, you have not told me about your extracurriculars, volunteers, scholarships, Lors, it will be hard to say where you are at this point.

Your GPA is okay, PCATs are not bad. I know from my point of view I'd never get accepted to any of those schools you're applying to with my low GPA of 2.62, so good luck! And get better soon! :thumbup:

GPA is excellent, but having some pharmacy experience and more credit hours will improve your chances. They want to see you're not just brains :)

You're exactly right about that!!! That whole experience made me very thankful and realize alot about life...

Are you trying to get in for fall 09 or are you going to take more classes??? I think you should apply and go for it...I have alot more classes to take before I can even apply, but if I don't get UF, I'm definitely going for NOVA...Have you looked into that yet????

Yeah, I'm applying for Fall 09. I wish you the best of luck with your classes. No matter how swamped you may feel at times, it's all doable if you really believe in yourself and really wanna pursue this career :). Nova is another choice for me. I heard that they are great when it comes to clinical pharmacy, but I heard UF is top for compounding pharmacy, which is what I want to pursue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your GPA is okay, PCATs are not bad. I know from my point of view I'd never get accepted to any of those schools you're applying to with my low GPA of 2.62, so good luck! And get better soon! :thumbup:

Well hopefully you can get that GPA up and get a nice PCAT score to accompany it with, right? Nothing is impossible. Good luck Storm!:thumbup:

Awesome grades and if you do well on the PCAT, it will show you are ready for pharmacy school curriculum.

You might want to check with your pharmacy schools of interest since they usually require a minimum number of credits to apply.

If you have the number of credits required to apply, then you should focus on why you want a career in pharmacy?

More specifically, why should schools take you over someone else who has taken way more credits than you and have years of pharmacy experience?

Also, consider volunteering and working at a pharmacy. This would further solidify your claims and reaffirms why you want to become a pharmacist for yourself and for the schools you are now applying to.

good luck:)

Okay, I have 3.11 UC-Transferable GPA right now (and International Student.)
(3.2 Overall)

I have completed General Chemistry with B and C.
(+ Introduction to Chemistry - B (isn't pre-req, I think))
I also took Introduction to Chemistry,
which is neither Pre-req or UC-transferable unit, I got B.
Biology in C (Cell & Molecular)
First Semester of O-chem - Either B or C (Possibly A as well)

Math - taking Pre-cal now
Physics - I haven't taken Calculus, so no.
A & P - Nope
Microbiology - Nope
College Level Writing English - A
Communication - A
Sociology ( I think it's pre-req) - A

Also, I am looking for to become a volunteer job related to pharmacy...

so... I still have chances even though I got bad grades on Gen. Chem and Bio?
(I am thinking about taking second semester of Gen. Chem during the summer as well)

Comments?

I live in California and will be transferring to UC Davis in Fall 2009.
(Since I will be applying for California Schools, I won't be taking PCAT unless I apply to other states.)

Last edited:
I think you still have a very good chance as long as you make the rest of the classes nothing lower than a B and perhaps ensure that your grades are an upward trend towards your final year in college. Some experience would boost the application as well. I actually go to Davis too, awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.