THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it either. Is there some form of sarcasm or innuendo we're missing here or are you just inept?
maybe it means that in bed, he lasts for 5 minutes. That's why he does not make sense, by the time he's in, he's already out! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't get it either. Is there some form of sarcasm or innuendo we're missing here or are you just inept?

There are some stupid people who searched for my posts, and tried to understand what I mean:D. And of course, I want to make them confuse as much as they are curious about my words:thumbdown:

There are some stupid people who searched for my posts, and tried to understand what I mean:D. And of course, I want to make them confuse as much as they are curious about my words:thumbdown:

Ohhhh now I get it. You are doing it again here. Ha, I was so naive. I thought this whole time that you were just really horrendous with English but tried to rip people who could write it better than you could. My bad.

Where is PrepharmKID when you need him...

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys here to help me or to fight... anyways... thanks for all the help so far... it is greatly appreciated...

Dingolfi..

thanks for all the help so far... it is greatly appreciated...

Dingolfi..

I recommend you to take Dr. Collin prepcourse. It is really good. Here is his website
http://www.pcatprepclass.com/

You do not have to attend the class, just purchase the package including all the subjects. I have heard many people at my area improved significantly.
I knew 1 friend. She got 55% on the first time. She took the class together with the package, she got to 91% second try. Since you do not live around this area. I would recommend you purchase this package. It includes everything you need to score high. :)

October 08 - 29
June 08 - 37
August 07 - 19
October 06 - 13

- Dingolfi:confused:

Dingolfi, If you want to score above an 80 composite, there is a big possibility you will have to retake the PCAT two more times. Pearson, the makers of PCAT will automatically invalidate any scores taken in the last 13 months with a 50 or higher jump in improvement. If this happens to you, you have to mail Pearson documentations proving your improvement was not due to cheating. Then, Pearson will make a final decision as to whether or not they will release your PCAT score to pharmCAS.

Something to think about....good luck:)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!!!

I am applying for University of Oklahoma Pharmacy School for the fall of 09.

Number of College Credits : 124
My GPA overall : 3.92
Science GPA: 3.89
PCAT score: 37 (Verb: 15, Read: 18, Math: 69, Chem 79, Bio: 55, Essay both 3)
I really have trouble with english section on PCAT. IF some one could tell me how to improve my PCAT score and what are my chances for this year, i would greatly appreciate it.

I have done over 300 hours of Volunteer work in a Pharmacy, I have also been employed by a Pharmacy with a Certified Pharmacy tech license for over3 years. I am in many Honor Roll societies, Been in Presidents Honor list 6 times and in Deans Honor roll list 4times. I am really worried. I know i can do Pharmacy School. I know that i am capable of becoming a pharmacist. But the only thing holding me back is my PCAT score. Please help me and let me know what my chances are for this year. I already applied to OUHSC. i have taken PCAT 4 times and that is my highest score. I have no idea why i do so poor in PCAT.

Please dont laught at my PCAT score....

October 08 - 29
June 08 - 37
August 07 - 19
October 06 - 13

- Dingolfi:confused:

The thing is I really shake when I take standardized tests... i am not a good standardized test taker... help me please guys.... how can i improve my score???

Although i'm not an expert on giving advice but you should refrain from taking pcat in Jan because it might not be that high,probably around 60+, at the greatest. I will advice that you calm yourself down, think of pcat as a way of proving your mettle, your impecable GPA, and your dedication to the profession. Believe strongly that you can do it, and try to use few months to get over it. Then buy Kaplan Course material from someone who took the online or classroom course. Also purchase the two practice test online as well as PCAT Professor. You are going to have to spend money to get yourself a good score. This is all what i did to get to a 79 from 23. Read to assimilate not cram or as a story book. Grow your interest in pcat as if it will earn u a billion dollar. Use freerice.com everyday to learn new words, subsribe to "word of the day" from dictionary.com, practice, read read, practice until you start to feel good about it and can actually meditate on some of what you have read. Then register for pcat maybe June 09 or Aug. As for your chances, i'm very positive that you don't need Pcat at all to get into somewhere but it is kind of too late. Try applying to non-pcat schools maybe they might give you a second look. You have an impressive stats and i will kill to have those nice stuff u have. Get yourself up, sit tight and make something good out of your good-self:idea:

a. Schools you are applying to--KU and UMKC

b. Overall GPA--3.89

c. Math/Science GPA--4.00

d. GPA in last one or two school years--3.89

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)--

Aug 08
Verbal 406 58%
Bio 405 56%
RC 394 35%
Quant 403 47%
Chemistry 414 67%
Composite 404 51%

Oct 08
Verbal- 393 35%
Bio- 435 91%
Reading- 384 21%
Quant- 413 64%
Chemistry- 425 80%
Composite 410 64%

3 and 3 on essays
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Shadowing at nuclear pharmacy and volunteering at hospital last 6months...probably 70hrs

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs--average LOR's...one from director of pharmacy at hospital, microbio professor, and someone who really knows me that lead all of the volunteering i did the last couple of years
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience--about 200hrs through knights of columbus last couple years, in clubs and doing research for organic professor
j. Self-perception of interview skills--average but dont know
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality--pretty good writer

Im trying to figure out how i look because my app is good except for my verbal and RC on pcat...I dont know though. I am taking it again in january and will actually study so hopefully I can increase my scores even more but no guarantee with how many scores drop even if you study sometimes. Just wondering how I look to others because to me I dont look all that good with such a low pcat score. All my life I have struggled with RC and verbal.

are you guys here to help me or to fight... anyways... thanks for all the help so far... it is greatly appreciated...

Dingolfi..

Your GPA is excellent, but if you're applying to a school that regards the PCAT, you're hurting your chances. OU really likes the PCAT, so I would say you're 50:50 at best. It looks like you've taken the test several times and still haven't done very well, so limiting yourself to one school that favours PCAT scores is selling yourself short. If you really believe you can succeed in pharmacy, look at other programs, especially ones that don't consider the PCAT. Also, redoing the test in January won't affect your app to OU since they send out interview invites then. My suggestion: Apply to OU and hope for the best, but apply to a few other schools that don't consider PCAT (like Purdue as suggested by thephoenician). Good luck!:)

b. Overall GPA--3.89

Aug 08
Verbal 406 58%
Bio 405 56%
RC 394 35%
Quant 403 47%
Chemistry 414 67%
Composite 404 51%

Oct 08
Verbal- 393 35%
Bio- 435 91%
Reading- 384 21%
Quant- 413 64%
Chemistry- 425 80%
Composite 410 64%

3 and 3 on essays
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Shadowing at nuclear pharmacy and volunteering at hospital last 6months...probably 70hrs

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs--average LOR's...one from director of pharmacy at hospital, microbio professor, and someone who really knows me that lead all of the volunteering i did the last couple of years
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience--about 200hrs through knights of columbus last couple years, in clubs and doing research for organic professor

Im trying to figure out how i look because my app is good except for my verbal and RC on pcat...I dont know though. I am taking it again in january and will actually study so hopefully I can increase my scores even more but no guarantee with how many scores drop even if you study sometimes. Just wondering how I look to others because to me I dont look all that good with such a low pcat score. All my life I have struggled with RC and verbal.

I myself have struggled with RC and verbal... and i didnt too well on PCAT either but with a 64 composite and 3.89 GPA your chances are like 90%... I have a 3.92 GPA but my PCAT is 37.... i have 397 but 37 was composite... 3,3,on essays.. and my chances are like 3 %... someone said... i wish i had your composite... but i do thnk you dont have anything to worry about.....

Members don't see this ad :)

b. Overall GPA--3.89

Aug 08
Verbal 406 58%
Bio 405 56%
RC 394 35%
Quant 403 47%
Chemistry 414 67%
Composite 404 51%

Oct 08
Verbal- 393 35%
Bio- 435 91%
Reading- 384 21%
Quant- 413 64%
Chemistry- 425 80%
Composite 410 64%

3 and 3 on essays

You should at least get an interview from UMKC. KU is a very challenging application, so improving your PCAT should help that. Practice makes perfect.

Hello all. I'm a sophomore at Saint John Fisher and I'm about to apply to the pharm program at Saint John Fisher and University of Buffalo. My overall GPA is a 3.43 and my science GPA is a 3.25. However, that is only based on my first two semesters. My first semester I had a 3.85 (all A- and one A), but the second semester i had a B+ in chemistry and a C+ in zoology. My grades are much better this semester.

I have a good amount of pharmacy experience, as I have worked in both a local pharmacy, and I worked 50 hours a week this summer in a hospital.

My LORs will be from my organic chemistry professor, who was also my freshman advisor, and another from a pharmacist that I worked with in the hospital.

I just got my October PCAT test scores back. verbal 86, bio 56, comprehension 75, math, 81, chem 84, composite 82. For the writing, 2 and 2.5. I'm not sure if I should retake or not.

I am a good writer when I'm given the time to do it, so I'm pretty confident with my personal statement.
I'm also a member of the Chemistry Club, Biology Club, I'm the Floor President for my dorm in our Resident Student Association.

What Are My Chances?

Last edited:
Hey!
I'm a pre-pharm student at the university of south carolina where I plan on applying.
I have a 3.6 GPA.
PCAT is 45. Not good but my 12 in verbal brought it down :( but I got an 80 in chemistry, My schools says they want an average of 72 so someone has to lower it!
I have a pharmacist, chemistry professor and loss prevention manger of Walgreen for LORs.
I have a pharmacy job.
I am really involved in school with a bunch of extracurricular.
I have a stellar personality!

I'm sending my application in on tuesday after I get my essay's edited, super scared!

a. Schools you are applying to (1 and only 1)
-Univeristy of Cincinnati
b. Overall GPA
per pharmcas:2.89
c. Math/Science GPA
per pharmcas: math-3.00
science-2.60
d. GPA in last one or two school years

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
August 08 October 08
Verbal 422/81 verbal 437/92
Biology 447/96 Biology 421/80
RC 404/52 RC 428/85
QA 412/62 QA 438/91
Chem 395/37 Chem 425/80
Composite 416/74 Composite 430/91
Writing 3/3 Writing 3/3
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
09/00-09/01 Retail-full time
01/02-04/03 Retail-full time till 09/02 then part time
09/02-present Hospital-full time 09/02-08/03 and 10/06-09/07
-part time & prn.....everything else
in between these dates
09/07-present Mail Order-full time all dates
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Pharmcas 10/29
Supplemental 11/25 (got email confirmation 5 minutes after I dropped it off)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3-Pharmacy director of a hospital which has a pgy1 program with the school I'm applying too
-former pharmacy supervisor from Medco (she moved from the pharmacy level to a corporate position)
-Professor I took Gen Phys from in 2004, that class was rough and I ended up with the highest grade in the class. She wasn't my advisor but we had a great bond.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Its been a few years except for blood donation (at one point I worked 3 jobs when my husband was off for over half a year due to neck injury) but prior to that a long 4-H career including post college volunteering but a lot of leadership experience through that, then academic team, marching band and Beta Beta Beta (biology honor society)

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I interview pretty well. I have a knack for being personable but professional.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I could have used 500 more words, but its fairly strong. Tells a bit about my background and why I have chosen pharmacy as a lifelong career choice

Other things ya might want to know:
~140 credit hours total----see in my sig my bs degree
didn't get involved in pharmacy till my father died which took a bigger toll than I thought..... really reallly bad year after which I took a 2 year sabbatical and then went back to finish my degree, gpa 2003-2004
fall-3.611 spring-4.0
Cal I for engineers this past summer-A
This semester Organic Chem-grades show a solid B, but by the time she curves (its a huge curve!) will be either a high B or an A, but not bad for being out of Chem class 8 years!
Applied Calc I- A unless I just really forget everything on the final

So the main things I'm worried about are: how much will the PCAT help offset the gpa? If they take out the retakes and calculate it straight, my science gpa is above a 3 (haven't done it myself though, can't be exact, it was hard enough to do it the pharmcas way, but Cumberland gpa overall is a 3.178) Good thing is I have been a strong performer in school since I took the couple of years off, and I did explain the death of my father in my PS. All I figure is that if I don't get in this year, my gpa is going to be alot higher next year, and I'm retaking the 3 classes I failed out of right before I took the break from school, and all this will make it easier for me to apply. I'm only applying to UC because my husbands family as well as my mom live here and could help support us while I am in school.

UCincy has a grade forgiveness policy of 7 years (last time I checked), so if your GPA has courses that are older, you may either have to redo them, or havae them not count against your Pharmcas GPA. I'm not sure if they have rolling admissions or not, so that will also affect your chance. Your PCAT is excellent. My only concern is the lower GPA. I have similar statistics and got a thanks for trying letter in the mail. Good luck!

Hello all. I'm a sophomore at Saint John Fisher and I'm about to apply to the pharm program at Saint John Fisher and University of Buffalo. My overall GPA is a 3.43 and my science GPA is a 3.25. However, that is only based on my first two semesters. My first semester I had a 3.85 (all A- and one A), but the second semester i had a B+ in chemistry and a C+ in zoology. My grades are much better this semester.

I have a good amount of pharmacy experience, as I have worked in both a local pharmacy, and I worked 50 hours a week this summer in a hospital.

My LORs will be from my organic chemistry professor, who was also my freshman advisor, and another from a pharmacist that I worked with in the hospital.

I just got my October PCAT test scores back. verbal 86, bio 56, comprehension 75, math, 81, chem 84, composite 82. For the writing, 2 and 2.5. I'm not sure if I should retake or not.

I am a good writer when I'm given the time to do it, so I'm pretty confident with my personal statement.
I'm also a member of the Chemistry Club, Biology Club, I'm the Floor President for my dorm in our Resident Student Association.

What Are My Chances?

Your grades are pretty good, and your PCAT is okay, except the writing grade brings it down some. Retaking it could improve your shot. UB uses rolling admissions so you're competing for fewer seats than in September. Overall I'd say you're a solid candidate :).

Hi,

so let's see...

Overall GPA-3.25
Pre-Req-3.00
Pcat Score-
Chem-87
Bio-71
Math-64
Verbal-32
Reading-18(**** me)
Writing-3
Composite-56

College I want to get in-Touro New York

Education- Bio major. Stony Brook university. Will graduate in May 09.

Experience-
-Working in Pharmacy for 6 months now.
-Working in Ecology research lab for 6 months now.
-Worked in Non profit organization for 2 years where dealt with alcoholics, druggists, etc.

LOR-
1. Pharmacist
2. Research supervisor
3. Gen chem or Orgo professor.

Personal Essay- I would give somewhere between 8-9.5. I think it's pretty
good. I had few people check it too. Went to writing center for this as well.

Interviewing skills- Same grade. 8-9.5. I am pretty good at this.

======================================================
Being an immigrant you can clearly see difference b.w my Sciences and English when we look at the PCAT.
Also, I have shown commitment toward my goal with retaking some of my classes.
Touro,NY is fairly new school and currently living in NY I would like to go to college somewhere close to home.
So how does my chances look...

EDIT: One other question, I want to show the school that I am committed at improving myself in english, reading, verbal, etc. Now I cannot take PCAT in Jan b.c sister's marriage and there literally is no way I can take the exam. So, to show my commitment, are there other tests that I can take?

Last edited:
UCincy has a grade forgiveness policy of 7 years (last time I checked), so if your GPA has courses that are older, you may either have to redo them, or havae them not count against your Pharmcas GPA. I'm not sure if they have rolling admissions or not, so that will also affect your chance. Your PCAT is excellent. My only concern is the lower GPA. I have similar statistics and got a thanks for trying letter in the mail. Good luck!

Thanks for the input Storm. I know about their 7 year policy, and I spoke to the Asst Dean at the beginning of summer. She was the one who told me to take the Organic and the Calc then go ahead and apply. I figure if I don't get in this year, my gpa is going to be going up and another year just gives me more time to redo some more pre req's so, I may as well try now. She said they have "some" leeway on the 7 year policy((ie a year to 2 max, and I'm right at the 'borderline'). I don't know if my long pharmacy history and the fact that I am degreed helps me or not. Guess I'll be finding out sooner or later.....as the long wait has begun.

Hi,

EDIT: One other question, I want to show the school that I am committed at improving myself in english, reading, verbal, etc. Now I cannot take PCAT in Jan b.c sister's marriage and there literally is no way I can take the exam. So, to show my commitment, are there other tests that I can take?

Have you taken the TOEFL ? Does Touro require it? That's the only other test I can think of at the moment....Also the fact that you took extra time with your PS should show a certain degree of commitment to your dedication to improving your language skills.

Good luck to you

You didn't post your composite score, which is what most schools look at. Your grades are good. One thing though...druggists are pharmacists. Drug addicts are likely who you worked with at the non-profit organization. As far as tests go, some schools won't consider other tests whatever the circumstances. Contact Touro and see what they say. illtreaturite1 had a great suggestion with the TOEFL.

Thanks guys.

The application deadline is Feb 2nd. Is it OK, if I take the test after the deadline or do I have to take before the deadline?

a. Schools you are applying to-
UOP, Western, and others not sure yet?
b. Overall GPA- 2.8
c. Math/Science GPA-2.7
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.8 (last year), 3.2 (last 2)
Composite 60, Verbal 32, Reading 15, Chem 89, Bio 84, Quant 69

f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 3 Years as a pharmacy Tech in the hospital
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) 10/1/08

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs -4 LOR
science prof, work supervisor, humanities teacher, pharmacist

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience (not much, just recently started an enrichment program/ tutoring for kids)
j. Self-perception of interview skills - GOOD if I am not too nervous
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- Strong, have been working on it for almost a year.

Helppp. what are my chances, and where should I apply? :confused:

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Kentucky
b. Overall GPA
3.5/4.0
c. Math/Science GPA
Not sure, pretty solid. Some A's and B's
3.8, 3.7, 3.5
Verbal - 45
Bio - 91
Reading - 31
Quantitative - 98
Chem - 96
Composite - 88

Writing 3/3
Pharmacy and hospital experience for over 500 hours, but it was before college
University of Wisconsin - 10/1/08
University of Kentucky - 11/17/08

My mother graduated from University of Kentucky Pharmacy school and she works as a pharmacist in Kentucky currently. I'm an international student currently attending UK, and I transferred from UW this semester. I have lots of church volunteer activities, such as Sunday school teacher, choir member, praise team singer, clarinetist in church orchestra as well as church musical production, young adult group leader, secretary, and so on.
I would appreciate if you could comment on my chances.
Thank you.

Overall GPA: 3.65 so far
Sci GPA: 3.45
Courses that I still need: Statistics, Antomy, Micro, Physio, Economics, Speech
Schools that I will apply to next year: all California schools so I won't be taking the PCAT

Pharm experience: 4 months as a clerk at a small town pharmacy, and will have another 4 months at this other small town pharmacy
Extra curricular activities: Club VP
Letters of rec: pharmacist, Biology professors
My resume may seem good, yet I'm still scared out of my butt in regards to getting in:idea:

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The application deadline is Feb 2nd. Is it OK, if I take the test after the deadline or do I have to take before the deadline?

You'd have to ask the university. It may not even make a difference with your application.

gogoomaparis, the only weak points of your application are your verbal & reading scores from your PCAT. You shouldn't worry at all.

cjf, as long as you continue with A's in your remaining pre-reqs, you too should have nothing to worry about.

Hi! Thank you all for all your help

I've applied to 4 schools: Oregon State University, Pacific University and Washington State University and Touro University.

I'm currently waiting for interviews (if i get any). I applied quite late so am worried it will lower my chances of getting in.

My overall GPA : 3.60
Science: 3.48
Math: 3.70
Senior year: 3.96

I've applied to school that don't require PCATs.

I've also volunteered at a dispensary for over a year. Other Extracurricular activities include volunteer work at a temple.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Thank you Storm90.
I realize that the verbal and reading sections are weak compared to the average. Do you think this would be a huge barrier for me in the application process?

I don't think it will be a huge barrier for you. The schools you've applied to are very competitive, but I think your application is definitely worthy of an interview invite. If you are concerned about those two scores, you can always contact the admissions offices to see if they have any suggestions for improving that aspect (other than retaking the PCAT). If english is your 1st language, I wouldn't worry at all. Even if it's not, you should still be fine.

Ohhhh now I get it. You are doing it again here. Ha, I was so naive. I thought this whole time that you were just really horrendous with English but tried to rip people who could write it better than you could. My bad.

Where is PrepharmKID when you need him...

HAHAHAHAHA Man I was outta town visiting family! I totally missed this! :laugh:

I’ve been reading & benefiting from this forum for more than 2 yrs. Thank you all for your time and effort to help us get the right info.
WAMC:
a. Applied to:
Xavier, Univ. of Denver Colorado, Albany, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Univ. of Incarnate word, Mercer & Howard.
Applying to:
UH, Texas Tech, Tx A&M, TSU, Univ. of Georgia
b. 3.96
c. 4.0
d. 4.0
e. Chem 76, math 64, bio 40, verbal & reading is horrible, <20, overall 35 & writing 3. planning to take Jan 09.
f. Shadowed and volunteered in hospital pharmacy for 40 hrs. Certified pharm tech looking for job.
g. PharmCAS – secondary, Xavier Dec. 1st .
h. 3. one from academic advisor and A& P professor taken with A& P I &II. One from Gen. Chem. I & II professor. One from microbiology professor. For those who require pharmacist RL, I’m trying to get one from the hospital pharmacy supervisor who I shadowed.
i. 200+ hrs of volunteer & EC.
Hospital SWR 25 hrs, tutoring college math & science 80hrs, other comm.srvices 40hrs.
Attended diff. leadership & environmental related conferences for 45 hrs.
Working with the college’s environmental committee, since sept. 2007, representing PTK. Leadership team member of PTK, pre health and other clubs member.
Work: in student computer lab for one yr.
j. Didn’t have yet any formal interview since I came to U.S. But from previous experience & class presentation, confident & not nervous as long as I know what I’m talking about. So I can’t comment on this skill very well.
k. PL.: recruited writing tutor, got help from 2 school tutors, and proof read by different people. Really I did my best on this part and told it is impressive by tutors, an instructor and pharm.school accepted student.
Other factors:
Minority, second language student (not Int’l), a mother of two yr old child, finished all pre-requisites except upper divisions, Associate, have taken ~ 90 cr.hrs < 2.5 yr.
So WAMC? Based on my stat which school do u recommend me to apply to in order to improve my chance? I’m so worried due to my PCAT score.
Once again thank you for your time and honest comment.

I’ve been reading & benefiting from this forum for more than 2 yrs. Thank you all for your time and effort to help us get the right info.
WAMC:
  • applied to:
Xavier, Univ. of Denver Colorado, Albany, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Univ. of Incarnate word, Mercer & Howard.
Applying to:
UH, Texas Tech, Tx A&M, TSU, Univ. of Georgia
  • Chem 76, math 64, bio 40, verbal & reading is horrible, <20, overall 35 & writing 3. planning to take Jan.
  • Shadowed and volunteered in hospital pharmacy for 40 hrs. Certified pharm tech looking for job.
  • PharmCAS – secondary, Xavier Dec. 1st .
  • 3. one from academic advisor and A& P professor taken with A& P I &II. One from Gen. Chem. I & II professor. One from microbiology professor. For those who require pharmacist RL, I’m trying to get one from the hospital pharmacy supervisor who I shadowed.
  • 200+ hrs of volunteer & EC.
Hospital SWR 25 hrs, tutoring college math & science 80hrs, other comm.srvices 40hrs.
Attended diff. leadership & environmental related conferences for 45 hrs.
Working with the college’s environmental committee, since sept. 2007, representing PTK. Leadership team member of PTK, pre health and other clubs member.
Work: in student computer lab for one yr.
  • Didn’t have yet any formal interview since I came to U.S. But from previous experience & class presentation, confident & not nervous as long as I know what I’m talking about. So I can’t comment on this skill very well.
  • PL.: recruited writing tutor, got help from 2 school tutors, and proof read by different people. Really I did my best on this part and told it is impressive by tutors, an instructor and pharm.school accepted student.
  • Other factors:
Minority, second language student (not Int’l), a mother of two yr old child, finished all pre-requisites except upper divisions, Associate, have taken ~ 90 cr.hrs < 2.5 yr.
So WAMC? Based on my stat which school do u recommend me to apply to in order to improve my chance? I’m so worried due to my PCAT score. And also please tell me
Once again thank you for your time and honest comment.

UH, UT, Texas Tech, A&M

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.3-3.6? I got a B+ in Gen Chem 1, 2...A in Bio 2, B's in Cal 1 and Bio 1...more than likely B- or B in Organic 1 and Microbio

Same as Math/Science I took all my electives my first yr. All sciences and math my 2nd two yrs

Verbal 86
Biology 61
Reading Comp 85
Quantitative 81
Chemistry 92
Writing 3.0
Composite 87

...2 months so far volunteer CPT at hospital pharmacy 6 hrs a week

Goal is submission of all online apps by Dec. 24

3 because UH requires it. 2 from the pharmacists I volunteer with...if they will do it so soon. Planning to ask within the next week. 1 from organic professor because I have a friendly relationship with her and pretty much don't know any other professors...

So far 1 yr volunteer at Ronald McDonald House...1 active semester with Prepharmacy Association...simply a member of NSCS and SAC...3 part time jobs so far. 2 very fast paced and professional...I can draw similarities between how the pharmacists I work with operate and how the best employees at the jobs operate.

Very low...had 1 mock interview in October. Plan on getting at least 2 more in early Spring

N/A will commit a few moments a day working on it between now and Dec. 24

Basically, I'm a B, B+ student with scanty extracurriculars/experience, terrible interview skills, and the pink elephant might be my PCAT score...I'm trying not to make it pull too much weight.

completed B.S. biology, B.A. psychology
b. Overall GPA: 3.31
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.14
d. GPA in last one or two school years (not good: some bad grades senior year, no good explanation)
october 2008: 93 (low bio, 99 RC, 94 QA, 90 Chem)
pharm tech (Feb 2008-present)
this weekend
employer, two science profs
returned Peace Corps Volunteer, Eagle Scout. very active in college: completed 4 year leadership program (included leadership positions), member of an ethnic club for 4 years (president 1 year), hiv/aids activist (for two years), student government senator one year (elected first out of 21 candidates).
i think the first one will be iffy, but the others should be fine. haven't been interviewed in a while, but usually do well.
my experiences gave me a lot to say, so i think(hope) the essays help make me a compelling figure.

*Concerned about declining trend senior year in grades (and no real explanation/reason why). I hope the pcat score, peace corps experience, and showing i've reprioritized what's important (and what's not) will help make up for those bad grades. Also worried that I should have applied earlier and am not as competitive now as I would have been.

Thanks in advance! [i need a small confidence booster/some support]:rolleyes:

I recommend you to take Dr. Collin prepcourse. It is really good. Here is his website
http://www.pcatprepclass.com/

You do not have to attend the class, just purchase the package including all the subjects. I have heard many people at my area improved significantly.
I knew 1 friend. She got 55% on the first time. She took the class together with the package, she got to 91% second try. Since you do not live around this area. I would recommend you purchase this package. It includes everything you need to score high. :)

Aww...it's at my old high school! /nostalgia I can't believe I never heard of this course. Thank you.:laugh:

Ok I have a 2.94 GPA from my undergrad and really want to go to pharmacy school for either 2010 or 2011. Tell me what should I do? I have no real pharmacy experience but I will be applying to get my certification for pharmacy tech in January. I don't know if I should just take some classes to make my gpa look better or try to get my masters. Or just work in the pharmacy department for a yr to 2 years. My main school is SUNY Buffalo. So please let me know what I have to do to get in. I plan on taking the PCAT in June or August.

Last edited:
asmusa, that PCAT could definitely be a problem but I believe the rest of your application is really strong. It's hard to say if you would get accepted with that PCAT, though it has been done before. You might want to think about applying to schools that don't require the PCAT.

Qudans, I think you are about somewhere in the average of people who are accepted, but your PCAT score is bit more competitive that average. I think it's great you identified your interview skills as weak and are working at them. That should pay off!

jmoini, your GPA might be a low depending on where you are applying. Overall, I think you application is very impressive and you would bring a lot to a pharmacy school. Adcoms tend to like people who have unique experiences that show their committment to helping people.

studentpen, I would advise you to take down your resume and just put a summary. I could pretty much figure out who you are in a matter of minutes with that info and that's not something you want on a public forum. I think you have some great experiences so far. Though I have to criticize that you seem a bit undecided because you have done a lot of research and then also went to a post-bac for med school. Make sure you can talk about why pharm is for you and not those other professions. Getting that pharm experience will help you. You should think about retaking some of the pre-reqs you did bad in, but it will be hard to raise your GPA much since you already have a degree. Typically getting a masters won't help your chances. One thing you can do really well in is the PCAT, personal statement, and interview.

asmusa, that PCAT could definitely be a problem but I believe the rest of your application is really strong. It's hard to say if you would get accepted with that PCAT, though it has been done before. You might want to think about applying to schools that don't require the PCAT.

Qudans, I think you are about somewhere in the average of people who are accepted, but your PCAT score is bit more competitive that average. I think it's great you identified your interview skills as weak and are working at them. That should pay off!

jmoini, your GPA might be a low depending on where you are applying. Overall, I think you application is very impressive and you would bring a lot to a pharmacy school. Adcoms tend to like people who have unique experiences that show their committment to helping people.

studentpen, I would advise you to take down your resume and just put a summary. I could pretty much figure out who you are in a matter of minutes with that info and that's not something you want on a public forum. I think you have some great experiences so far. Though I have to criticize that you seem a bit undecided because you have done a lot of research and then also went to a post-bac for med school. Make sure you can talk about why pharm is for you and not those other professions. Getting that pharm experience will help you. You should think about retaking some of the pre-reqs you did bad in, but it will be hard to raise your GPA much since you already have a degree. Typically getting a masters won't help your chances. One thing you can do really well in is the PCAT, personal statement, and interview.

I think your advise was helpful.

All over the place. Applied to UM (I'm a Wolverines fan :D )

b. Overall GPA
3.12 undergrad Biology
3.88 Master's of Public Health

c. Math/Science GPA
unsure

unsure

94 composite, all sections >=80

none

Dec. 1

4 professors

Too much to list here or even on PharmCAS. Leadership at School, Organized all sorts of events, Served on a non-profit board, started a magazine, all sorts of stuff...

I'm a people person, and well spoken when rehearsed

Not my best, but pretty decent!

b. Overall GPA
3.12 undergrad Biology

c. Math/Science GPA
unsure

unsure

none

Dec. 1

4 professors

Too much to list here or even on PharmCAS. Leadership at School, Organized all sorts of events, Served on a non-profit board, started a magazine, all sorts of stuff...

You should get some experience in pharmacy. That way, when they ask you why pharmacy, you'll be able to answer it based on experience, rather than prospective thinking. Also, UM asks for high school transcripts, even if you've been out of HS for several years and have degrees. That's why I didn't apply there.

studentpen, fenixtnlfan makes several excellent points about your chances. May I add to have your application ready for this coming summer? SUNY Buffalo uses rolling admissions, so getting your application in early is crucial. Aim for submitting in August or September 2009, whenever they start taking applications. That way, you have a better shot of getting an interview & acceptance.

okay,,,so. i am a sophomore in college. i will be applying for the fall10 to all the schools in Texas, including one in OK.
overall GPA; 3.2
science GPA: 3.0
Registered pharmacy technician(still looking for a job)
intend to take PCAT in june

:thumbdown:i currently don't have any substancial voluntering experience, i would be starting a volunteering program in january.

Ps! Do i have a shot at getting in with such a substancially low gpa?

:idea:I INTEND ON STUDYING MY BUTT OFF FOR THE PCAT SO I CAN SCORE ABOVE THE 90 PERCENTILE.
:idea:I ALSO INTEND TO APPLY ON THE FIRST DAY THE APPLICATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

DO I REALLY HAVE A SHOT.:xf:

UCSF
USC
UNC
UT - Austin
Colorado
VCU
Maryland
Illinois – Chicago

b. Overall GPA: 3.54

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.33 *if you include only the first scores for gen chem, calculus along with ochem, general biology, and physics

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.70

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
Verbal 93
Biology 90
Reading Comp 94
Quan. Ability 72 :(
Chemistry 74 :(
Composite 91 :)
Writing both 3.5

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None :(

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 10/31/2008 (both PharmCAS and secondaries, except Texas. Still working on the Texas app now.) :(

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs (4)
Ochem professor, Genetics professor, Volunteer supervisor, and Former employer

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience.
100+ hours volunteer experience at a hospital, and 100+ hours experience tutoring genetics and microbio, and 7 years of managing small teams at several software firms in Texas and California

Usually, I do well in job interviews. I have no idea of how I will do in an interview to get into pharmacy school, although I can relate to and talk with just about anyone.

Several people reviewed it, and thought that it was okay, and that it reflected who I am and why I chose to leave my fulltime job to pursue a career in pharmacy.

Other information about me: I am a career changer, and older than the typical pharmacy school applicant. (Age is just a number, right?) My bachelor's degree is in business. I have spent the last 2.5 years taking all of the science pre-reqs along with some additional upper division chemistry and biology courses at a community college here in town and at SF State. Also, I have retaken all of the gen chem and calculus courses that I took in college over 15 years ago to "refresh" my skills.

What do you think my chances are with getting into these schools? Are there any areas where I should work on?

a. Schools you are applying to:
University of Georgia, University of Appalachia, and Campbell University

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.0 (should be higher after this year)

Last year: 3.3 average

I am taking them in January 2009. I expect to do fairly well - I score highly on standardized tests and I have been doing a lot of studying for it.

Job shadowed, but no actual work experience

I am in the process of applying right now. None of the due dates are until February or March, and U of GA at least does not do rolling admissions.

Three: a professor who I have done biochemistry research with for three years, a biochemistry professor and an organic chemistry professor.

I obtained an extremely competitive internship last summer where I did cellular biology research (siRNA). I also had a grant to do research with a professor after my freshman year, who I have continued to research with. I work in the chemistry department. I do a lot of volunteering at places like nursing homes and Habitat for Humanity. I also am a member of campus organizations such as Toastmaster's International (a public speaking group), ASBMB and I am founding a pre-pharmacy club.

I have good interview skills. I am a people person and tend to relate well with others. I'm also good at thinking on my feet.

Good. I am a spelling and grammar freak as well :)

Please help me...I am a junior and could potentially finish my degree and apply next year, but I am trying to apply a few places this year so I can get started earlier in my degree progress. Thanks so much for your attention!

Hi!

My name is Kojo and I completed a B. Pharm degree in Ghana. I want to enroll in Pharmacy school and I have done a lot of research. It looks like I must meet a good number of prerequisites... My college GPA is 3.5 and my high school GPA was 3.6.

After contacting a good number of schools, I realised I have to do sme extra course work before my application can be considered (Humanities and Social Sciences) :(.

Can u give me a fair idea about my chances of getting into pharmcy school?

Where can I take some of these prerequisite courses and can u give me a fair idea as to how much it will cost me? Most of the counselors I spoke to seemed not to like the idea of completing prerequisites in community colleges, what is your take?

And lastly does is really matter which pharmacy school you attend? I'm all crazy about attending a "top ten pharmacy school."

Wamc?

b. Overall GPA
3.12 undergrad Biology

c. Math/Science GPA
unsure

unsure

none

Dec. 1

4 professors

Status
Not open for further replies.