The Weirdest People You Met At Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I met a girl with the biggest, most defined false eyelashes I've ever seen on a candidate. They were spidery and dark black and no one could not stop staring at them. She was very nice and had great ECs and academic achievements. She didn't wear a suit but was dressed nicely (heels, stockings, skirts, blouses). I just could not get over her insane eyelashes! I wonder if anyone who interviewed her cared.

Most of the people I met on interviews were socially awkward. Even the ones who tried to come across as confident ended up looking like super awkward premeds. I'm a non trad and I have no idea how I came across, but I tried to be friendly to everyone as nothing about the day made me nervous - job interviews are way more stressful - and I like putting people at ease.

It was funny how most people tried to break the ice by getting others to talk about where they went to school, their research, etc. I guess that's what everyone has in common ... but it always sounded like they were trying to size each other up.
 
I forgot about this gem. At one of my interviews, two of us SDN people were there on the same day. We had known about it previously but I didn't think much about it. Come interview day, the other SDN person was trying to find out exactly who I was. They were asking everyone questions, trying to find out if they were the real BABSstudent. I mean, that is all they would talk about while we were waiting for the day to start. Oddly enough, the person never asked me...

I would have thought my avatar would have given me away since it essentially looks like me except I am over six feet tall.

Edit: I forgot about this too. At two different interviews, a person said their major was premed. Everyone in the room gave a quick double take when they said it both times. Neither of these people even went to a school where it was possible to major in premed.
 
Last edited:
Only one guy stood out to me because of his arrogance. This was at my first interview. He asked everyone how many interviews we'd had, and when I told him this was my first one, he goes, Sorry to break it to you, but at this point in the cycle, you probably won't get any other invitations. This was back in October. He later straight up asked the dean 'Why should I come to this school?'
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only one guy stood out to me because of his arrogance. This was at my first interview. He asked everyone how many interviews we'd had, and when I told him this was my first one, he goes, Sorry to break it to you, but at this point in the cycle, you probably won't get any other invitations. This was back in October. He later straight up asked the dean 'Why should I come to this school?'

I literally just facepalmed. Gunners gotta gun, I guess.
 
At one school I interviewed at, everyone and I mean EVERYONE else was from an Ivy school and Berkely. I was definitely the only one from any state school. Anyway so this one kid was talking about the awesome sales at his local CVS and at least ten of the twenty five interviewees there turned on him saying that stores only put food on sale because it's rotting and you really shouldn't buy items on sale. These people were legit angered by his daring to buy two for one cereals at CVS.

At a different school, I was the only girl out of 17 interviewees and when I just made a passing comment about this, a (male) interviewee gave me the dirtiest look and said,"well women shouldn't be getting any special favors anyway." What an annoying brat.
 
At one school I interviewed at, everyone and I mean EVERYONE else was from an Ivy school and Berkely. I was definitely the only one from any state school. Anyway so this one kid was talking about the awesome sales at his local CVS and at least ten of the twenty five interviewees there turned on him saying that stores only put food on sale because it's rotting and you really shouldn't buy items on sale. These people were legit angered by his daring to buy two for one cereals at CVS.

At a different school, I was the only girl out of 17 interviewees and when I just made a passing comment about this, a (male) interviewee gave me the dirtiest look and said,"well women shouldn't be getting any special favors anyway." What an annoying brat.

Berkeley*
 
At one school I interviewed at, everyone and I mean EVERYONE else was from an Ivy school and Berkely. I was definitely the only one from any state school. Anyway so this one kid was talking about the awesome sales at his local CVS and at least ten of the twenty five interviewees there turned on him saying that stores only put food on sale because it's rotting and you really shouldn't buy items on sale. These people were legit angered by his daring to buy two for one cereals at CVS.

At a different school, I was the only girl out of 17 interviewees and when I just made a passing comment about this, a (male) interviewee gave me the dirtiest look and said,"well women shouldn't be getting any special favors anyway." What an annoying brat.

😱 Here's to hoping he doesn't get in anywhere.

One of the student hosts I stayed with had a small party/kickback while I was there. Everyone except me was drinking pretty heavily, and one of the med students there started going into extremely explicit details about the oddities of his sex life. It was hilarious... I wish I could paraphrase what he said, but I would probably get banned.
 
I didn't have anyone too out there. But there was one girl at one of my interviews that wore a sleeveless dress.. not a jacket or anything.. just a sleeveless (short) dress. 😱 I felt uncomfortable for her.
Most of my interviews had nice, quiet people. Many felt the need to brag, of course.
One of my interviews was predominantly women (maybe 2 guys there out of 15) and they all seemed very "valley girl"-ish. One kept talking about a pageant she had won... I'm not hating on the pageant girls, but come on! At a medical school interview?! And it wasn't even for a big one like Miss California or something.. it was like Miss County Fair or something like that. That interview made me feel like I was in 7th grade again. 🙄
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".
 
I am extremely drunk right now and am overly sensitive to these issues. Take any comments I made in that context, good sirs. But it does not make me wrong.

Wow... I have no idea where that came from. My bad 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I met a guy that never unbuttoned a button on his three button brown suit the entire day. When we ate lunch, he looked so uncomfortable and then made remarks that he was the only person to know how to properly wear a suit. He was extremely weird.

lol. At most of the lunches i went to for interview, Id say a significant majority of us actually took our jackets off to eat.
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

if one had the inclination...

1) fake glasses with embedded cam
2) anonymous email of video clip to dean of said school
3) ?????
4) profit harder than muhammad
 
Was talking to a guy during a tour of one of the schools and stopped abruptly to take a picture of my dad in his graduating class'(class's?) photo on my phone. The guy looked at me kind of funny until I explained what had just happened
 
I have to say that most of the other applicants I met at interviews were pretty awesome and friendly overall, but there were definitely some characters out there…

1) Greaser Guy. Although dressed nicely in a suit, he wore sunglasses on his head throughout the entire day. Hopefully he took them off during his interview. He was really cool otherwise.

2) Jersey Shore Girl. She wore an extremely short black dress + lots of cleavage, I’m not complaining but she looked like she came straight from the club.

3) Pretentious Ivy Guy. He made sure everyone else knew he attends Columbia, regardless of whether they asked or not. All his sentences began with “Well at Columbia...”, “That reminds me of (fill in the blank) at Columbia…”, you get the point. I even saw him show his school ring to a couple people. This interview was a state school as well, maybe he felt the need to show how superior he was.

4) Borderline Alcoholic Guy. A few other applicants and I went out for drinks after a reception hosted by the school, the night before an 8am interview. Most of us had 1 or 2 beers, but half an hour in one dude decided to start pounding down shots (I counted at least 7 in addition to his drinks) to “let off some steam”. We thought it was hilarious, but wow. I like to have a good time too, but not the night before an interview. The guy looked alright the next day, but I jokingly talked really loud to him a few times.

5) James Watson. Guy who thoroughly lectured everyone else about his genetics research and how he wants to become an oncologist. I’m talking in depth, molecular details that few people outside of his research lab would even know. I get it you’re smart. I talked to him once and tried to change the topic, didn’t work. I’m fairly confident he doesn’t know how to hold a conversation that doesn’t involve science.

👍 Awesome thread, keep the stories coming.
 
Your original post would make a lovely copypasta if we can adapt it for a wider context. I'd love to use it for any MD vs. DO threads that open up. 👍

I had one interview where a kid kept talking about how much he loved boba tea (with those balls at the bottom), and he at one point said (verrrry enthusiastically) "oh man, I love slurping down those balls!" in front of the dean at which point I lost it completely. One of the other applicants told me to grow up. Result: Acceptance. :laugh:

That made me lol for real...which is rare for the internet. 👍😀
 
I think I was the weird guy for my very first interview. I dressed business casual without a blazer. Definitely felt way out of place. 😳 Good thing it was at a school I didn't care too much about.

At another interview I had to deal with one of the most obnoxious guys I have ever met. We were all sitting in this auditorium waiting for our interviews. Instead of sitting in the chair like a regular person, this guy gets on top of the table and starts sitting with his legs crossed on table. He then goes on and on about how he would probably never attend this school because its beneath him and keeps going on and on. You would think this guy was already sitting on a Harvard acceptance or something. It was uncomfortable because I could feel everyone's annoyance with this guy.

At another interview, the school had a dinner for the interviewees and med students showed up to talk with us. Anyway its almost the end of the dinner and the med student that was hanging out with us took off. Another med student comes over and she sits with us, but does not say a word, she literally just sits down and looks at us. So the other interviewers and I introduce ourselves and ask her a few questions. She would answer each question with like a one word response and then just continue to stare at us. It was incredibly awkward and since dinner was already ending I just decided to leave and head back to the hotel. As I got up and said bye, all the other interviewees did the same thing and left her alone at the table. I felt a little bad for her lol but it was such an awkward 10 minutes just sitting there.
 
At one school I interviewed at, everyone and I mean EVERYONE else was from an Ivy school and Berkely. I was definitely the only one from any state school. Anyway so this one kid was talking about the awesome sales at his local CVS and at least ten of the twenty five interviewees there turned on him saying that stores only put food on sale because it's rotting and you really shouldn't buy items on sale. These people were legit angered by his daring to buy two for one cereals at CVS.

At a different school, I was the only girl out of 17 interviewees and when I just made a passing comment about this, a (male) interviewee gave me the dirtiest look and said,"well women shouldn't be getting any special favors anyway." What an annoying brat.

But the bolded part is true...I worked at a grocery store before college and I can assure you that is the reason why food was put on sale. Maybe not rotting, but it was in danger of getting to that point. I never thought much of it though up until I got food poisoning that put in me the hospital after eating a "manager's special" apple pie. Never again.
 
But the bolded part is true...I worked at a grocery store before college and I can assure you that is the reason why food was put on sale. Maybe not rotting, but it was in danger of getting to that point. I never thought much of it though up until I got food poisoning that put in me the hospital after eating a "manager's special" apple pie. Never again.

Are you talking only about fresh foods? I buy frozen/canned stuff on sale a lot and always check the expiration date. They're not always close to expiring.
 
But the bolded part is true...I worked at a grocery store before college and I can assure you that is the reason why food was put on sale. Maybe not rotting, but it was in danger of getting to that point. I never thought much of it though up until I got food poisoning that put in me the hospital after eating a "manager's special" apple pie. Never again.

A fresh baked good, sure, it's getting old, but cereal? The amount of preservatives in cereal and lack of moisture make it very unlikely that it would go bad on the store shelf even if it was out of date.
 
But the bolded part is true...I worked at a grocery store before college and I can assure you that is the reason why food was put on sale. Maybe not rotting, but it was in danger of getting to that point. I never thought much of it though up until I got food poisoning that put in me the hospital after eating a "manager's special" apple pie. Never again.

Sale items are warehouse overstock or some sort of special bulk buy through the manufacturer. Manager's special or markdown items are items in danger of expiring. We threw out so much crap where I worked because management refused to mark down certain items like fresh-baked individual bagels and donuts. I'd eat so many of them, never got sick either. :laugh:
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

Wow that's effed. I'm sorry u had to sit through that, it must have been extremely uncomfortable 🙁

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
I have a feeling i beat all of u.

Cat in the hat was at one of my interviews.
#ackward

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
It's too late for interviews now, but I wonder if anyone at medical school will figure out that I am HughMyron.

If not then, well, I've heard that when you interview for residency, it's a pretty small crowd, especially in some specialties, so you see the same people a lot. Maybe someone will recognize me then!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I could easily be one of the weird ones. :laugh: For one thing I answer the question "How would your friends describe you?" with "I do not have many friends and I am terribly sorry to say this but I do not understand the relevance?"

Needless to say I do not do great at interviews. But I won't lie to entertain these questions that really should not matter anyway.
 
At one school I interviewed at, everyone and I mean EVERYONE else was from an Ivy school and Berkely. I was definitely the only one from any state school. Anyway so this one kid was talking about the awesome sales at his local CVS and at least ten of the twenty five interviewees there turned on him saying that stores only put food on sale because it's rotting and you really shouldn't buy items on sale. These people were legit angered by his daring to buy two for one cereals at CVS.

...


Reminds me of one interview I was at... telling another guy about some good deals currently out and getting some weird stares from other people.

Whatever... when it comes to saving some money, count me in.

No way. You have to be making that up. I just... Couldn't believe such a thing.

Not uncommon to hear something like that.
 
At my MSTP interview at NYU, I met a pretty horrible guy. He bragged to everyone about how he didn't apply until late October but still got interviews at tons of places. Talked up how he had a Columbia interview and how he was super excited for that and that NYU wasn't as good. Made racist and chauvinist jokes when all the applicants were hanging out. Complained loudly about lunch and complained about how much waiting time there was scheduled in the interview day. When he and I were waiting alone for our MD portion of the interview, he complained super loudly how his interviewer was 5-10 minutes late and how this was "total bull****". When his interviewer 2 minutes later came in, he was totally rude, said finally, and scowled. A few of us after the dinner with students were hanging out at the hotel (all interviewees are put up at same hotel) one person said something about him and we all were so happy we weren't the only ones who felt he was horrible. I hope I don't see him at second look.
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

No way. You have to be making that up. I just... Couldn't believe such a thing.

😱 so messed up


I am getting mad reading this

Really? It's not surprising in the least, particularly if you use prevailing SDN attitude re. minorities as a sample.
 
I think I could easily be one of the weird ones. :laugh: For one thing I answer the question "How would your friends describe you?" with "I do not have many friends and I am terribly sorry to say this but I do not understand the relevance?"

Needless to say I do not do great at interviews. But I won't lie to entertain these questions that really should not matter anyway.

markey_mark_wtf.gif
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

If someone said that in front of me, I would be very tempted to stand up and say "Hey! My mom is black!"



(Which is a lie, btw. But how would this guy know?)
 
I have a feeling i beat all of u.

Cat in the hat was at one of my interviews.
#ackward

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I heard about this. I didn't think any schools would be receptive to asking for an interview again after you decline an initial offer.
 
Wow that's effed. I'm sorry u had to sit through that, it must have been extremely uncomfortable 🙁

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

It doesn't bother me, but thank you 🙂


Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This wasn't at the interview, but after my interview I went out to a bar and met a girl, and when the bar closed she invited me back for a night cap. She prefaced her invitation with "don't get the wrong idea", and had earlier showed me a picture of her very large and scary looking "boyfriend", but I went over anyway, because....well why not?

Well, while we were in her elevator, she finally confessed to me. Turns out she was an Escort, and her "boyfriend" was actually her pimp. I got a little nervous, but she assured me she wasn't trying to rip me off or anything. Her roommate (another escort) was away, and she didn't have many friends in the city (only clients), so she just wanted a platonic dude to kick it with. We watched south park and slung beers till the wee hours of the night, and she made me some tasty vodka drinks (with her top shelf vodka of course). She received at least 5 phone calls from "clients" on her multiple "burn phones". Her apartment was LOADED....huge flat screen TV, xbox, PS3 (all things I don't own/can't afford), stereo and sound system, big comfy couch, expensive furniture, king sized waterbed (which wasn't the bed she slept on). Made sense since clients were offering more than $500 for an encounter. Obviously I picked her brain a bit too, and learned quite a bit of the inside scoop from an escort.

Definitely and unexpected and extremely interesting way to spend the night after my interview. And for the record, no I did not sleep with her. I told her I was too young and attractive to pay for sex, and she agreed.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile
 
I think I could easily be one of the weird ones. :laugh: For one thing I answer the question "How would your friends describe you?" with "I do not have many friends and I am terribly sorry to say this but I do not understand the relevance?"

Needless to say I do not do great at interviews. But I won't lie to entertain these questions that really should not matter anyway.

I love this. I'm stealing it for residency interviews.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.