The Weirdest People You Met At Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by psychegots
I think I could easily be one of the weird ones. For one thing I answer the question "How would your friends describe you?" with "I do not have many friends and I am terribly sorry to say this but I do not understand the relevance?"

I think there's a better way to say this still keeping your honesty integrity. No one asked you to provide the number of your friendships. If you can put forth a couple of descriptors that 2 friends would attribute to you, that would be an honest answer.

Instead, your answer comes off as, "that question is stupid, moving on..."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hopefully someone nearby overheard and made note of that. Even if the guy really thinks that way, why say it aloud? The guy needs someone to explain what a filter is.

Can you imagine his bedside manner? "Uh, since I see that you're a URM, I'll speak in very short sentences and only use one syllable words." :eek:

Oh no, the weird one was totally me!

I was on a bus with some current students and other interviewees getting a tour of the area. While we were on the campus of the local VA hospital, the driver made a comment that you had to be very careful not to spit there because it was federal property and they'd hit you with a huge ticket. Thinking this was so odd, I laughed, and said, "All that does is make me try to imagine a situation in which spitting would be standing between me and the death of a patient!" All I got were a few blank stares...

Then, of course, I realized the driver had said speed. Not spit. Speed.

The only way I left that school with my diginity in tact was knowing that portion of the day had no bearing on my application. A few weeks later - accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's a better way to say this still keeping your honesty integrity. No one asked you to provide the number of your friendships. If you can put forth a couple of descriptors that 2 friends would attribute to you, that would be an honest answer.

Well, I do not have 2 friends I have "sort of maybe" 1. And I'm not embarrassed about it. I hate how people tend to glorify extroversion as compared to introversion. And why should they care anyways? I'm applying for a job/school, I'm not on a speed-date. Ask about grades, test-scores or just read the damn CV and get some objective information as compared to this inflated crap that people serve to fit in with the modern culture of interviews.

Instead, your answer comes off as, "that question is stupid, moving on..."

Now this is the truth! However I do admit that I might have to hide that a little better to have a chance at the interview for post-graduation clinical-rotations (foreign thing). It's sad though.

I think that question is actually relevant, especially depending on where you end up in medicine. Some fields require more inter/intra-professional teamwork than others, but it exists to some degree. For me, that question isn't a matter of exploring your level of extroversion, but as a means to understand who you are as a person. You'll have to work alongside others (whether you like it or not) and I think they were just trying to see what people, who spend a lot of time with you, would describe you as and how you would describe yourself. Schools mold their classes based on several factors, and from the impression I got with my interviews, personality is a component too. That question was a means to figure out your personality, which, to me, is just as important as your stats.

Nonetheless, reading your scenario got me to burst out laughing! =)

Well, I do not have 2 friends I have "sort of maybe" 1. And I'm not embarrassed about it. I hate how people tend to glorify extroversion as compared to introversion. And why should they care anyways? I'm applying for a job/school, I'm not on a speed-date. Ask about grades, test-scores or just read the damn CV and get some objective information as compared to this inflated crap that people serve to fit in with the modern culture of interviews.

Now this is the truth! However I do admit that I might have to hide that a little better to have a chance at the interview for post-graduation clinical-rotations (foreign thing). It's sad though.

Medical schools want to admit students that will make good doctors. From my experience, part of being a good doctor is being able to interact comfortably with patients. There's no problem with being introverted, but I think you can still work on your social skills a bit even if the only reason is to be a better physician.

Applying to residency is even worse. If you don't get along with your residents and aren't able to fit in with them, you're toast.

Assuming that you're at least 21 years old, are you saying that for the past 21 years, you can only identify ONE person as a "sort of maybe friend." The question didn't need to include currently existing friendships; that's too literal...and frankly, it probably could include what a co-worker, dorm room-mate, teacher or neighbor might say about you. The interviewer just wanted you to give a few descriptors of what those in your world might say about you.

Either way, as mentioned above, med schools want doctors who have some social skills. Many/most doctors have to speak to patients and/or their families at various times throughout their careers. At a minimum, usually you'll have to be able interact with other health care professionals.

Assuming that you're at least 21 years old, are you saying that for the past 21 years, you can only identify ONE person as a "sort of maybe friend." The question didn't need to include currently existing friendships; that's too literal...and frankly, it probably could include what a co-worker, dorm room-mate, teacher or neighbor might say about you. The interviewer just wanted you to give a few descriptors of what those in your world might say about you.

Either way, as mentioned above, med schools want doctors who have some social skills. Many/most doctors have to speak to patients and/or their families at various times throughout their careers. At a minimum, usually you'll have to be able interact with other health care professionals.

The best doctors I have experienced were not social at all and the worst were very social. I am not going to a doctor for tea and cookies by a fireplace.

Lost acceptance? What? Do tell the story!

"Remember, remember, the rescindment of November"

A former SDN member made some distasteful comments on SDN and on his school's facebook page (said someone looks like Kahn from "King of the Hill" or something...). He offended some folks, and in retaliation they reported the guy to his school. The school sent him an email saying his acceptance was rescinded and that he should not make any further contact with the school.

lol listen loser, it is REQUIRED to be a sociable person as a healthcare professional. thats why you are interviewing...otherwise, med school adcoms would just accept based on CV/numbers.

what's your backup job/future aspiration? just curious.

lol listen loser, it is REQUIRED to be a sociable person as a healthcare professional. thats why you are interviewing...otherwise, med school adcoms would just accept based on CV/numbers.

what's your backup job/future aspiration? just curious.

No it is NOT required, quit spreading this propaganda. I know and have known plenty of great doctors who were not social in the least but were amazing at what they did.

To the person in question, simply pretend you are acting. Pretend like you are putting on a performance for someone who is casting an audition.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best doctors I have experienced were not social at all and the worst were very social. I am not going to a doctor for tea and cookies by a fireplace.

I can't speak to your unique experiences. In our family's experiences with physicians, the ones with at least a normal amount of social skills have been the best at communicating what was going on, were patient with our questions, and didn't make us feel like we were "bothering them".

When a patient is seriously ill, having a physician who can respectfully communicate to the patient and his/her family means not adding to the stress and burden that these people are already going thru.

And, as I mentioned above: you're not going to be working in a vacuum. You're going to have to interact (and maybe have some tea and cookies) with your colleagues and other healthcare professionals.

an interviewee told me he went to school in boston. i went to the admissions office and threw a fit until they shredded his app.

one of these was made up...

Was this at Pitt? Because this totally happened to someone on my interview day at Pitt :p Either you are not alone, or we interviewed on the same day :laugh:

Hey, Tots!

This isn't the PMOD that did it, but I know it was, in fact, Pitt. He told me it was a super awkward start to his first interview day. But assuming your MDApps is accurate, unfortunately, you did not get to run into one of the PMODs. :( If I recall correctly from my interview there, I think it was a relatively common mistake as it was just a paper sign hanging over the back of the chair.

I can't speak to your unique experiences. In our family's experiences with physicians, the ones with at least a normal amount of social skills have been the best at communicating what was going on, were patient with our questions, and didn't make us feel like we were "bothering them".

When a patient is seriously ill, having a physician who can respectfully communicate to the patient and his/her family means not adding to the stress and burden that these people are already going thru.

And, as I mentioned above: you're not going to be working in a vacuum. You're going to have to interact (and maybe have some tea and cookies) with your colleagues and other healthcare professionals.

You make it sound like handing down bad news in a respectful manner is a difficult feat to pull off, requiring natural talent that only social butterflies can even hope to have, and that introverts are incapable of even the most minimal social interaction such as having dinner with other people and talking with colleagues.

In reality just about anyone can do those things. Hell, all this hype over "people-person" physicians is relatively new, and only came about after studies showed patients wanted better contact from their doctors. For some reason this got interpreted as "we need to only accept extroverts into the profession" instead of "maybe we should try to do something to prevent doctors from becoming jaded ******s".

You make it sound like handing down bad news in a respectful manner is a difficult feat to pull off, requiring natural talent that only social butterflies can even hope to have

Who said anything about "social butterflies"? My point has been about the need to have basic social skills. No one is talking about being everybody's BFF.

Who said anything about "social butterflies"? My point has been about the need to have basic social skills. No one is talking about being everybody's BFF.

Yes, and when we talk about introverts we're just talking about people who tend to keep to themselves, not people with autism.

Yes, and when we talk about introverts we're just talking about people who tend to keep to themselves, not people with autism.

I don't think anyone suggested that introverts aren't capable of decent social skills when dealing with colleagues or patients. Being an introvert doesn't equal "socially awkward".

Hey, Tots!

This isn't the PMOD that did it, but I know it was, in fact, Pitt. He told me it was a super awkward start to his first interview day. But assuming your MDApps is accurate, unfortunately, you did not get to run into one of the PMODs. :( If I recall correctly from my interview there, I think it was a relatively common mistake as it was just a paper sign hanging over the back of the chair.

Sadly true. Unfortunately, I wasn't there, so Tots didn't run into another PMOD. :(

Sadly true. Unfortunately, I wasn't there, so Tots didn't run into another PMOD. :(

Haha, Agent B did we make an executive decision on your application to become a PMOD?

I want to be a PMOD :(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Good luck. The application process is pretty rough. Five mods almost made it but stumbled on the last two questions. :scared:

Since I'm a URM I should have the upper hand.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Oh no, the weird one was totally me!

I was on a bus with some current students and other interviewees getting a tour of the area. While we were on the campus of the local VA hospital, the driver made a comment that you had to be very careful not to spit there because it was federal property and they'd hit you with a huge ticket. Thinking this was so odd, I laughed, and said, "All that does is make me try to imagine a situation in which spitting would be standing between me and the death of a patient!" All I got were a few blank stares...

Then, of course, I realized the driver had said speed. Not spit. Speed.

The only way I left that school with my diginity in tact was knowing that portion of the day had no bearing on my application. A few weeks later - accepted!

:thumbup:

Also, so many tomatoes... There's another user named tomatoes.... So... many.... tomatoes....

wow... pretty judgemental thread here.

Just chill a little. Everyone has their own weird habits. It's all good :)

Medical schools want to admit students that will make good doctors. From my experience, part of being a good doctor is being able to interact comfortably with patients. There's no problem with being introverted, but I think you can still work on your social skills a bit even if the only reason is to be a better physician.

EXACTLY. There is a huge difference between being introverted and being antisocial.

Mr. November? Explain...?

It's a song by the National. And also a story that someone explained above :p.

As for me, I had a girl (totally unsolicited) come up and start talking about how she was really bossy, and how she had bossed around her interviewer. She made it sound kind of unpleasant for the interviewer, but assured me she came off in a good way.

Most people have been super nice though, and I definitely took it as a good sign about the school if they brought people I could see myself being friends with to interview there.

As for me, I had a girl (totally unsolicited) come up and start talking about how she was really bossy, and how she had bossed around her interviewer. She made it sound kind of unpleasant for the interviewer, but assured me she came off in a good way.

I wonder if it ever entered her mind that her interviewers are thinking, "is this someone that I want to be around for the next four years?"

:whistle:

The most inappropriate (perhaps "least appropriate" is better) thing I saw any guy wearing was a navy blazer and khaki pants.

I saw at least 2 guys do this this year, which is more than I've seen than the past several years combined (can only recall one other, over perhaps the last 5 years). Don't be that guy--definitely not a positive impression.

I think I could easily be one of the weird ones. :laugh: For one thing I answer the question "How would your friends describe you?" with "I do not have many friends and I am terribly sorry to say this but I do not understand the relevance?"

Needless to say I do not do great at interviews. But I won't lie to entertain these questions that really should not matter anyway.

can't imagine why...

EXACTLY. There is a huge difference between being introverted and being antisocial.

I don't particularly believe that being extroverted is beneficial to medical school interviews or being a healthcare provider. Being able to communicate effectively, however....

If you're introverted, that's fine. Wouldn't it be reasonable to put in the extra effort to learn to socialize at social functions so that you can network for just one day? If you are so introverted that you cannot learn to overcome your introversion for one day, do you really want to be in medicine... where you are always communicating with people and talking to patients?

This is a medical school interview, after all.

I am personally pretty introverted. I despise small talk. I REALLY don't want to hear about your kids or how drunk you were this weekend. I don't care about what happened to your dog, or how your wedding plans are going. Frankly, I just don't care.

But, if a little old lady with colon cancer feels she can connect with me because I'm willing to sit there and listen to her talk about her 16 grandchildren every now and then, then I'm willing to come out of my shell a little bit. These are the conversations that you will have at some point, I'm sure.

I don't particularly believe that being extroverted is beneficial to medical school interviews or being a healthcare provider. Being able to communicate effectively, however....

If you're introverted, that's fine. Wouldn't it be reasonable to put in the extra effort to learn to socialize at social functions so that you can network for just one day? If you are so introverted that you cannot learn to overcome your introversion for one day, do you really want to be in medicine... where you are always communicating with people and talking to patients?

I am personally pretty introverted. I despise small talk. I REALLY don't want to hear about your kids or how drunk you were this weekend. I don't care about what happened to your dog, or how your wedding plans are going. Frankly, I just don't care.

But, if a little old lady with colon cancer feels she can connect with me because I'm willing to sit there and listen to her talk about her 16 grandchildren every now and then, then I'm willing to come out of my shell a little bit. These are the conversations that you will have at some point, I'm sure.

:thumbup: This guy gets it.

Yeah but to say it out loud, in an interview, when you're supposed to be on your best behavior? That's just absurd. Guess the hatred is that strong.

Haters do what? They hate. :p

tumblr_m86vsoJ6Ee1ro5xd4o1_500.jpg

:shrug:

That person is still doing small talk though.

Personally to be honest, the only way I can truly empathize is if that person shares a similar background as I do.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Lol I Didn't take any pictures....she was very normal looking and regularly dressed. And I'm not about to ruin this type of night by busting out the camera phone like a creep.

would suck to consult that guy..

Plenty of people act a different way if they know the person they are talking to came from the same background as them, shares the same ideology or is of the same ethnicity. I am not talking about the level of care here, I am simply talking about a feeling of genuine empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.