-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Weirdest People You Met At Interviews
Started by physiologist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Yeah...like is this student going to fit in at this school, not be a pain in the a** and actually be able to function on his own? All of which come into question when the interviewer sees the parent standing there, at a professional interview. What part of this do you not get?
Also, way to ignore the majority of my post in which I explained how the presence of parents is relevant to what the interviewer is focusing on.
You can't deny that first impressions matter. If I was an interviewer and I saw my applicant standing with his/her mother, my first thought would be "oh god, helicopter parents!" Or even worse, "Tiger mom!" It starts the whole interview off on the wrong foot. Having seen my mom (a professor at an undergrad) deal with helicopter parents, I guarantee that this matters. They're thinking "What happens the first time this kid gets less than honors? Are we going to have phone calls and emails from their mom?" Because trust me, that happens and no school wants to deal with those kids. Sure it's a generalization, and I'm sure that some parents that attend are not those types, but by bringing your parents along you're associating yourself with those types, and that is not the impression you want to make. So yes, making a move that could potentially look immature is a risk that is not worth taking.
Those are some major generalizations and you seem to be very judgmental. I'm an extremely independent person and even though I have never ever invited my parents to an interview, who am I to judge others?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pacific Cooler is boss.
Just put that **** on my shopping list bro.
Now they have new flavors that I don't remember when I was a kid.
Pina Mango - sounds groce
Blackcurrant - uwotm8
Lemon Tea
Xstreme Cherry - idontevenknobro
Safari Fruits - african fruits? wot
Atlantic Cooler - srs
This thread used to be funny.
I agree. Enough about this parents at interviews debate. Let's bring this thread back to amusing interview stories.
You'd be surprised at the LITTLE things that get people dinged at interview days. Let alone much bigger things like bringing your parents to the interview day.
For anyone on here who actually thinks only your interview session(s) are what's used to judge you as a candidate, you are woefully and laughably misinformed.
Interesting... Like what? Examples?
Also I agree with mirimonster. Parents are for the second look, not the interview.
In another thread, I mentioned that my undergrad hosts an interview weekend for one of its honors programs. All the employees and host students can write in your file if they observe something that bothers them. So, if you're rude or dismissive to the secretary, she can write about it in your app file. If someone notices that you're constantly texting, that will get noted in your file.
Med school interview process may be somewhat similar.
Interesting... Like what? Examples?
Also I agree with mirimonster. Parents are for the second look, not the interview.
Perhaps he means that there is more analysis going on during the day than just in the interview room...
For example, how you treat the guards at the security desk, how you treat the admissions check-in person, how you interact with the other interviewees during that awkward first meeting where you are all sitting around a conference room with not much more to go off of than "where are you from? what's your major?"
Interesting anecdote: during one of my interviews, I was required to meet my interviewer in a separate research building. There was a mandatory sign-in process for both entering and exiting the building. When I signed in, nothing was out of the ordinary, I said I was interviewing and asked for directions to a given office. HOWEVER, when I was signing out to leave, there was an additional security guard there...and the most interesting thing happened. He struck up a conversation out of the blue about a small resort that is in my home state (and is about 250 miles away from this particular school). He asked me about the golfing and fishing at XYZ park... We chatted for probably 8 minutes before I apologized for cutting the convo short, but I was already 10 minutes late for the next interview day activity. I told him I'll keep my eyes open for him on the greens next time I'm at XYZ park.
So...How did this random security guard in a separate research building know what state I lived in and next to what resort? The only info required on the sign in sheet was 1) my name, and 2) time signed in/out.
Was he psychic? Was it set up to some degree? Maybe it was all a HUGE coincidence... Maybe the guard just happened to ask a perfect stranger how he liked the fishing/golf at a random small resort and maybe that perfect stranger just happened to live near and frequent said resort 250 miles away... or maybe the school wanted to see how people interact with strangers? Who knows.
Last edited:
Those are some major generalizations and you seem to be very judgmental. I'm an extremely independent person and even though I have never ever invited my parents to an interview, who am I to judge others?
😕 The question was whether bringing parents to an interview might hurt you. I enumerated ways in which it might be detrimental and the impressions that it might give to adcoms. I really don't know how you went on to take that personally, but I apologize. I am not personally judging someone whose parents want to come along for the tour. I didn't meet any of these people, so I don't know how I could be judging them. I am merely warning applicants against thinking that it can't have any bearing on their application, or the impression of their interviewers.
Whatever, I'm done with this argument. To all future interviewees, bring your parents if you so choose. I really don't care.
Can we make this thread fun again? I'll share a story about myself since there weren't any strange people on my interview trail. I was pretty nervous and a little tired at one school, and I actually corrected a presenter in front of the whole group of interviewees. It just burst out of my mouth before I could even think! The presenter did not take it well, but it was pretty harmless and I ended up getting accepted anyways. I definitely got some strange looks from some of my fellow interviewees though 😳 It was totally out of character. I think the nerves just got to me.
I agree that your actions outside the actual interview are important but dinging someone for bringing their parents is just outright stupid. I admit it's slightly weird but taking points off come on seriously![]()
As I explained above, it is not weird or stupid at all to count this against someone. It would be weird not to.
😕 The question was whether bringing parents to an interview might hurt you. I enumerated ways in which it might be detrimental and the impressions that it might give to adcoms. I really don't know how you went on to take that personally, but I apologize. I am not personally judging someone whose parents want to come along for the tour. I didn't meet any of these people, so I don't know how I could be judging them. I am merely warning applicants against thinking that it can't have any bearing on their application, or the impression of their interviewers.
Whatever, I'm done with this argument. To all future interviewees, bring your parents if you so choose. I really don't care.
Can we make this thread fun again? I'll share a story about myself since there weren't any strange people on my interview trail. I was pretty nervous and a little tired at one school, and I actually corrected a presenter in front of the whole group of interviewees. It just burst out of my mouth before I could even think! The presenter did not take it well, but it was pretty harmless and I ended up getting accepted anyways. I definitely got some strange looks from some of my fellow interviewees though 😳 It was totally out of character. I think the nerves just got to me.
Ha! Yeah, I had an interview that degenerated into a discussion about frozen PB&J sandwiches. Don't ask....
As I explained above, it is not weird or stupid at all to count this against someone. It would be weird not to.
I agree. Helicopter parents are scary as all hell and nobody wants anything to do with them.
But please, let's end the discussion about parents and start talking about our topic, which is weird people at interviews who may or may not potentially be me at some point in this thread (hasn't occurred yet).
I agree. Helicopter parents are scary as all hell and nobody wants anything to do with them..
So it's totally off topic for this thread, but on the subject of helicopter parents... One time my mom caught one of her students blatantly plagiarizing (he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He had literally copy-pasted the whole thing from a website). Being a bit of a softy, she decided to only fail the student for that assignment, but not kick him out of the class or fail him, which she could have done. She ended up getting seriously harassed with phone calls and emails from the student's mom who thought it was completely unfair that her darling child was being punished in this way. It was absurd. Keep in mind this kid was a junior in college. I feel bad for him.
Last edited:
So it's totally off topic for this thread, but on the subject of helicopter parents... One time my mom caught one of her students blatantly plagiarizing (he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He had literally copy-pasted the whole thing from a website). Being a bit of a softy, she decided to only fail the student for that assignment, but not kick him out of the class or fail him, which she could have done. She ended up getting seriously harassed with phone calls and emails from the student's mom who thought it was completely unfair that her darling child was being punished in this way. It was absurd. Keep in mind this kid was a junior in college. I feel bad for him.
That is just beyond sad.
I always think I'm overprotected and sheltered until I hear stories like this. That is just.... Wow.
I heard from my brother that some moms come to lectures to take notes for their kids at his UC. I hope this behavior stops at undergrad.
You can't be serious. What college allows this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard from my brother that some moms come to lectures to take notes for their kids at his UC. I hope this behavior stops at undergrad.
You can't be serious. What college allows this?
In those mega-sized UC lecture halls, the prof wouldn't even know who should be there and who shouldn't.
That said, this would have to be for commuter students. Students coming from a few hours away wouldn't have parents taking notes for them.
It's one thing to want your kids to do well in school,but to take it to another level is baffling. In my middle school class(went to a small school), there were kids that had entire book reports and projects done by parents. In high school, before one of my first classes was about to start, a parent walked in and wanted to know why her precious son got a B in his class. Even after showing her the gradebook, she insisted that the teacher should reconsider.
A mom taking notes for her child in undergrad is something to think about. Why is she going out of her way to do something her adult child should decide to do(or not do) on their own? Even if the child's parents are paying for school all on their own, the answer isn't to do the work for them. It teaches them nothing and takes the responsibility away from them.
A mom taking notes for her child in undergrad is something to think about. Why is she going out of her way to do something her adult child should decide to do(or not do) on their own? Even if the child's parents are paying for school all on their own, the answer isn't to do the work for them. It teaches them nothing and takes the responsibility away from them.
D
deleted393595
.
Last edited:
Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
Oh no.... edited for profanity: "B!&$%es all amped about the Grammys while I'm just lookin' forward to a future Nobel"
Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
98% sure that's a parody account. No one can be that douchey IRL...
Right?
Right?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
I've seen some come close..but this is a bit over the top.
98% sure that's a parody account. No one can be that douchey IRL...
Right?
Right?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
I want to believe that too, bit it's too poorly executed for me to think it's a parody acount. Ahh, and the douchy photos! Ahhh!
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I had one interview where two brothers were interviewing and the Dad was there and sat in the waiting room with the students the whole time. I thought it was pretty weird. My student host said it definitely doesn't look good to the committee. It's supposed to be an experience for the group of interviewing students. Having somebody's parents' there observing and judging everyone is just weird.
Weird at the time, but actually helped clear the tension out of the room: At one interview, this girl kept asking everyone "if you had to eat one crayon, what color would you eat?" each time a student came back to the waiting room from an interview (I guess she was the last to interview).
Oddly enough, everyone tended to choose red, but she said white is the way to go -- it won't stain your teeth. I like to think she learned this from experience.
Oddly enough, everyone tended to choose red, but she said white is the way to go -- it won't stain your teeth. I like to think she learned this from experience.
Weird at the time, but actually helped clear the tension out of the room: At one interview, this girl kept asking everyone "if you had to eat one crayon, what color would you eat?" each time a student came back to the waiting room from an interview (I guess she was the last to interview).
Oddly enough, everyone tended to choose red, but she said white is the way to go -- it won't stain your teeth. I like to think she learned this from experience.
Damn... She's right. I would've never thought of white. Mad outside the box skillz right dere. Instant accept.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Most of the people I met were friendly, normal, and pleasant to chat with. But there were some memorable exceptions
1.) the girl who brought up her medical mission trip in every conversation, and, when we met one of the Deans, instantly said, '[the name of her PI] says hi.' apparently her PI was a former student of the Dean.
2.) the girl who asked the current med students in a snobby tone, 'So why ----SOM? What's so special about it? during our info session
3.) the girl who chose to wear a super- short, see- through skirt and cardigan instead of a suit.
Of course, this is probably the pot calling the kettle black. I could just as easily be considered the weird one at interviews.
1.) the girl who brought up her medical mission trip in every conversation, and, when we met one of the Deans, instantly said, '[the name of her PI] says hi.' apparently her PI was a former student of the Dean.
2.) the girl who asked the current med students in a snobby tone, 'So why ----SOM? What's so special about it? during our info session
3.) the girl who chose to wear a super- short, see- through skirt and cardigan instead of a suit.
Of course, this is probably the pot calling the kettle black. I could just as easily be considered the weird one at interviews.
Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
PLEASE BE A JOKE ACCOUNT!
Hell, even if it was a parody account I found it too annoying to read.
Now, https://twitter.com/medskoolgunner...
^^^That's quality. Too bad he/she stopped updating it.
PLEASE BE A JOKE ACCOUNT!
Hell, even if it was a parody account I found it too annoying to read.
Now, https://twitter.com/medskoolgunner...
^^^That's quality. Too bad he/she stopped updating it.
It may be a parody account, but the sad thing is I know people like that.
D
deleted393595
That was beautiful. Much
were had.Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
This guy seems to only have one necktie.. and it's a tacky one at that.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
That was an interesting 30 mins of my life...
Tempted to follow him so I can see how everything turns out and be entertained frequently.That was an interesting 30 mins of my life...Tempted to follow him so I can see how everything turns out and be entertained frequently.
I had to stop.. I got into the cycle of creepin' on the other assortment of pre-med people on Twitter. Good lord..
That was an interesting 30 mins of my life...Tempted to follow him so I can see how everything turns out and be entertained frequently.
WashU, Yale, or JHU or bust.
#reapplicant
Once I went to my family doctor and I had lost some weight so he asked me "did you have sex with any woman".
I said "no, I work long hours".
Many young people would come to my doctor with personal problems and sex problems.
He is a reputed cardiologist. 😴
Strong first post.
D
deleted393595
98% sure that's a parody account. No one can be that douchey IRL...
Right?
Right?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Meme-worthy perhaps?
Dat picture.
Dat right earring.
Dat novelty account... I hope.
I swear, this is the only time I'd ever be okay with someone being a victim of the premed gunner.
Dat right earring.
Dat novelty account... I hope.
I swear, this is the only time I'd ever be okay with someone being a victim of the premed gunner.
Dat picture.
Dat right earring.
Dat novelty account... I hope.
I swear, this is the only time I'd ever be okay with someone being a victim of the premed gunner.
I wonder what his SDN account is.
I mean, it's pretty certain he'll have one.
I wonder what his SDN account is.
I mean, it's pretty certain he'll have one.
Money on U Wot M8
Dat picture.
Dat right earring.
Dat novelty account... I hope.
I swear, this is the only time I'd ever be okay with someone being a victim of the premed gunner.
For some reason I think its real

Anyone who uses apple earphones is a noob.
<-- Noob. 😳
I've only ever met one person who brought their parent to an interview. It was a DO interview, and her father was an interventional radiologist for one of the nearby hospitals.
Maybe it helped her chances? I don't know.
He was really interesting to talk to, at least!
Maybe it helped her chances? I don't know.
He was really interesting to talk to, at least!
It's acceptable for super special people like you though, Tots.For some reason I think its real
<-- Noob. 😳
It's acceptable for super special people like you though, Tots.
Ah 😍
Though I do have Audio Technica headphones to compensate...
🙂 I'm a Shure guy myself.Ah 😍
Though I do have Audio Technica headphones to compensate...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted393595
.
Last edited:
Here's the linky btw for the meme: http://www.quickmeme.com/Pretentious-Pre-Med/?upcoming
Not sure if good idea... Someone here probably knows this guy.
Facebook detectives in 5 4 3...
Not sure if good idea... Someone here probably knows this guy.
Facebook detectives in 5 4 3...
That makes it the best idea
That makes it the best idea
correct
Not really relevant, but if I ever met this guy on the interview trail he'd probably come across as a giant tool: https://twitter.com/PreMedProdigy
Hes still studying baby tier biology in the pictures I see...
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K