The Weirdest People You Met At Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a guy interview with me at my state school who looked like this.

SloppyInterviewGuy.jpg


I forwarded this pic to my dad because he often jokes about an MIT colleague who would come to work completely disheveled with his belt just wrapped somewhere around his middle - not anywhere close to the actual belt loops.
 
And come on, everyone. Do you really need to make an entire thread devoted to making fun of people you meet? This is a public forum. I, for one, would feel pretty terrible to find a thread with over 8,000 views where people were laughing about something I did. We're all pursuing professional degrees here.

Not being able to laugh at yourself is probably a good start to answering "what's your biggest weakness?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you wound up being talked about in this thread, chances are it's probable something you should be made aware of.

Right. And, isn't it better to confront a personal shortcoming in an anonymous setting? I'd rather read the tip that it's impolite to talk with a mouthful of food than hear about it face to face.

:hoping someone I know reads this: 😀
 
And come on, everyone. Do you really need to make an entire thread devoted to making fun of people you meet?

Yes.

Has anyone ran into people that laminated their MCAT scores on a big plastic sheet and kinda poked it out of a folder so it looks like you aren't trying to show everyone in the room? If you were one of those people, I'm sorry but...really??

You definitely run into some odd folks at those interviews. Not as bad as rest stops though. There are people at those that I have seen that make me kind of mad/annoyed because I know that they exist.
 
Yes.

Has anyone ran into people that laminated their MCAT scores on a big plastic sheet and kinda poked it out of a folder so it looks like you aren't trying to show everyone in the room? If you were one of those people, I'm sorry but...really??

You definitely run into some odd folks at those interviews. Not as bad as rest stops though. There are people at those that I have seen that make me kind of mad/annoyed because I know that they exist.

I never stop at rest stops. If I need a rest I'll just stop at a gas station where there are a lot more people around 😀
 
Ya, sorry if I came across as condescending, as that wasn't my intent. Certainly some people out there on the interview trail need to have their egos deflated a bit. I think we've all come across them. I was talking more about some of the people who called a guy on here a "loser" because he didn't have friends; I just don't think it's cool to harass people for issues they're probably already well aware of. That definitely wasn't the majority of you, so for that I apologize. Carry on my wayward sons.

Um... that "loser" you refer to started the thread...
 
Yes.

Has anyone ran into people that laminated their MCAT scores on a big plastic sheet and kinda poked it out of a folder so it looks like you aren't trying to show everyone in the room? If you were one of those people, I'm sorry but...really??

You definitely run into some odd folks at those interviews. Not as bad as rest stops though. There are people at those that I have seen that make me kind of mad/annoyed because I know that they exist.


Haha wow. The modesty is strong in that one. That reminds me more of undergrad where some people would carry around an MCAT study book in their hands for all to see. I'm not sure why you would wear a backpack and not use it, or why that book is needed for a completely unrelated lecture, but whatever.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And come on, everyone. Do you really need to make an entire thread devoted to making fun of people you meet? This is a public forum. I, for one, would feel pretty terrible to find a thread with over 8,000 views where people were laughing about something I did. We're all pursuing professional degrees here.

I'm weird 🙂

I'm surprised something I did/said hasn't shown up on here yet.

:laugh:

Needless to say, people definitely make fun of other people in healthcare. Sometimes it just helps to laugh about something, even if it's ... malicious?

Laughing it off definitely helps me relieve stress especially when you deal with really difficult patients. You need that or you'll break, I think. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when your patient would rather poop in the nearest trash can than get up and go to his private bathroom? Or when you hear the tones drop in your EMS station about a guy who has a carrot lodged down his throat and needs medical attention because he can't get it out?

You have to smile about it, and not make a big fuss over it in my opinion. I'm not condoning people actively try to spread gossip, but if you're pleasantly surprised by someone's alternative perspective on life then as long as we don't share names I don't think it's a big deal. I'm sure that quirky person got into the medical school 🙂

Both true stories btw 😉
 
Last edited:
I guess I could share one about myself.

I was at Creighton and all of us were in a shuttle, waiting to go over to the hospital. This was the first time we had to really talk to all the other applicants. We started to introduce ourselves to each other and everyone was saying their name and where they were from.

We had someone say Utah, another Kansas, a few from California, one from Texas, and then it got to me. I said Washington and immediately like five people said, "D.C.?"

This is a pet peeve of almost everyone in Washington. Why is it that everyone else gets to say the name of their state, but when we do they immediately think we are talking about Washington D.C.? For some reason it is expected (mostly from people on the east coast) that we say Washington State. I mean the population of Washington is way higher than the population of D.C., so wouldn't it make more sense to assume someone meant the state over the district? I went on that little rant, kinda joking around but also being serious about it until I realized I probably seemed like an a**.

I was then silent for an hour or so because I was afraid of opening my mouth and making myself seem like a jerk again.

In the end, it didn't matter. I was still accepted and offered a pretty nice scholarship to go there.
 
Last edited:
This is a pet peeve of almost everyone in Washington. Why is it that everyone else gets to say the name of their state, but when we do they immediately think we are talking about Washington D.C.? For some reason it is expected (mostly from people on the east coast) that we say Washington State. I mean the population of Washington is way higher than the population of D.C., so wouldn't it make more sense to assume someone meant the state over the district? I went on that little rant, kinda joking around but also being serious about it until I realized I probably seemed like an a**.

Yeah I guess that would get pretty annoying after awhile. I'm from the east coast and maybe its just where I live, but most people around here just say DC when referring Washington DC. What I have a pet peeve about is people saying WARSHington instead of Washington when talking about either one though. I hear that all the time. There is no r.
 
I guess I could share one about myself.

I was at Creighton and all of us were in a shuttle, waiting to go over to the hospital. This was the first time we had to really talk to all the other applicants. We started to introduce ourselves to each other and everyone was saying their name and where they were from.

We had someone say Utah, another Kansas, a few from California, one from Texas, and then it got to me. I said Washington and immediately like five people said, "D.C.?"

This is a pet peeve of almost everyone in Washington. Why is it that everyone else gets to say the name of their state, but when we do they immediately think we are talking about Washington D.C.? For some reason it is expected (mostly from people on the east coast) that we say Washington State. I mean the population of Washington is way higher than the population of D.C., so wouldn't it make more sense to assume someone meant the state over the district? I went on that little rant, kinda joking around but also being serious about it until I realized I probably seemed like an a**.

I was then silent for an hour or so because I was afraid of opening my mouth and making myself seem like a jerk again.

In the end, it didn't matter. I was still accepted and offered a pretty nice scholarship to go there.

Because Washington D.C. is more important/notable to the public JKZ, but seriously, its the capital of our country vs. a state not many people know much about
 
During a finaid presentation, one guy picked a booger and ate it. :shrug:

He saw me looking and froze for a second with his boogery finger at his lips, yet still decided to go full bore and proceeded to chow down. He probably thought he was past the point of no return. The booger eating didn't really bother me. But we locked eyes while he munched on his birdie-eagle-bogey. Groce.

Everyone else has been surprisingly normal. Even met a couple lifting bros who posed (why bother? can't see **** in a suit, bro) and asked me about my routine and supps.
 
During my Creighton interview, when we were riding to the hospital and introducing ourselves to one another, some tall blond haired kid started moaning about how we assumed he was from Washington, D.C. instead of Washington state. He started breaking down into tears after 15 minutes of ranting, it was really awkward.



I really hope he didn't get accepted
 
During my Columbia interview, when we were riding to the hospital and introducing ourselves to one another, some short red haired kid started moaning about how we assumed he was from Washington state instead of Washington, D.C. He started breaking down into tears after 10 minutes of ranting, it was really awkward.



I really hope he didn't get accepted
 
some tall blond haired kid

he must be under-represented in medicine because on many SOM websites when they show pics of the med students, all the males have dark brown/black hair.
 
During my Creighton interview, when we were riding to the hospital and introducing ourselves to one another, some tall blond haired kid started moaning about how we assumed he was from Washington, D.C. instead of Washington state. He started breaking down into tears after 15 minutes of ranting, it was really awkward.



I really hope he didn't get accepted

I was at your Creighton interview.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During my friend's Cornell interview, when they were riding to the hospital and introducing themselves to one another, some short red haired kid started moaning about how they assumed he was from Washington state instead of Washington, D.C. He started breaking down into tears after 30 minutes of ranting, it was really awkward.



I really hope he didn't get accepted
 
During my friend's Cornell interview, when they were riding to the hospital and introducing themselves to one another, some short red haired kid started moaning about how they assumed he was from Washington state instead of Washington, D.C. He started breaking down into tears after 30 minutes of ranting, it was really awkward.



I really hope he didn't get accepted

wait, are you serious? That would be really funny yet awkward to experience.

Obviously not serious. Cornell's hospital is across the street from the medical school, no riding involved 👎 :laugh:
 
Obviously not serious. Cornell's hospital is across the street from the medical school, no riding involved. 👎 :laugh:

lol, I didn't read the thread. I just read the last post and believed it. I'm not cool enough to know where Cornell's hospital is located.


If you wound up being talked about in this thread, chances are it's probable something you should be made aware of.

Seriously, it's like the things only your best friends would tell you to stop doing, except now it's a complete stranger.
 
This guy rolled up to an interview and started talking about he owned a Ferrari the first 5 minutes into the conversation WTF lol. How he's a self made millionaire because he runs a research lab and has a mansion. He continued to tell me that he was coming to my school just so he could become a doctor to "pay back to society for everything God has blessed him with".

I've met cocky people in my life but jesus christ this guy trololol. To make things even more entertaining lol he continued to talk about how he was already accepted to Harvard but didn't really want to go because Cambridge, MA wasn't "upscale enough".

I don't know where the hell this clown ended up going for med school or if he even got in but he's sure as hell not here :laugh:
 
At my Dartmouth interview an interviewee needed a wheelchair for the hospital tour because they were on crutches. There was this awkward pause where nobody wanted to volunteer to push her around all day. I seriously thought for a moment that it was a staged scenario to evaluate how the interviewees acted in that situation and who would offer to help. Only one girl offered.
 
This one guy at my interview yesterday said something like "everytime I see a URM at an interview I just know they are stupid. Good thing everyone here is white, asian, or indian".

I interviewed with a guy who had very impressive stats and a lot of rejections. He said "I can't get into a good school because I'm a white guy without an interesting story." He seemed cool otherwise, but that was an alarming statement.
 
At my Dartmouth interview an interviewee needed a wheelchair for the hospital tour because they were on crutches. There was this awkward pause where nobody wanted to volunteer to push her around all day. I seriously thought for a moment that it was a staged scenario to evaluate how the interviewees acted in that situation and who would offer to help. Only one girl offered.

She probably got accepted too :laugh:
 
I interviewed with a guy who had very impressive stats and a lot of rejections. He said "I can't get into a good school because I'm a white guy without an interesting story." He seemed cool otherwise, but that was an alarming statement.

Pretty realistic statement though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
I interviewed with a guy who had very impressive stats and a lot of rejections. He said "I can't get into a good school because I'm a white guy without an interesting story." He seemed cool otherwise, but that was an alarming statement.

Medical school is more than just numbers right? :naughty:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This guy rolled up to an interview and started talking about he owned a Ferrari the first 5 minutes into the conversation WTF lol. How he's a self made millionaire because he runs a research lab and has a mansion. He continued to tell me that he was coming to my school just so he could become a doctor to "pay back to society for everything God has blessed him with".

I've met cocky people in my life but jesus christ this guy trololol. To make things even more entertaining lol he continued to talk about how he was already accepted to Harvard but didn't really want to go because Cambridge, MA wasn't "upscale enough".

I don't know where the hell this clown ended up going for med school or if he even got in but he's sure as hell not here :laugh:

You should have informed him that HMS is in Boston, not Cambridge where the main campus is. LOL

OAN: You lucked out not having to deal with that through four years of med school.
 
That reminds me of yet another girl at Cinci. She had way to much makeup on. I can't really describe it, so I just googled "too much makeup" and found this. Pretty much exactly the amount this girl was wearing. Blush and all.

Christina-Aguliera-Too-Much-Make-up.jpg

Holy crap. Was that supposed to me some kind of stage makeup? They could see that from the moon. Yea, I think most people interviewing this person wouldn't be able to take her serously.
 
I forwarded this pic to my dad because he often jokes about an MIT colleague who would come to work completely disheveled with his belt just wrapped somewhere around his middle - not anywhere close to the actual belt loops.


Yea, I don't that strategy would work unless you are truly an Einstein. Even then, people would get distracted. There are ways to put distracting attention on yourself, and then people might miss your positives or what you are really about. Actually I had this experience with a physician once. I was referred to him, and the man was as dishelved as a homeless per. Worst of all this man had THE most horrorabe case of dandruff I have ever seen, and I have seen some weird skin stuff. I mean it was coming off his head both steadily and at times, like an avalanche. To be honest, I was so skeeved, I was quite distracted, and I didn't want the person to get close or even shake my hand. I feel and felt terrible about this, but honestly, his physical presentation was on the absolute shocking side for a professional or anyone dealing with people. I know customer service people that would be let go for presenting like that. And it wasn't like he just got off the plane from East Gibpip. As a MD, and I am certan that he would know of a decent dermatology with whom to consult, and I know homeless people much more presentable. I mean it's like he balled up his suit into the smallest bag he could find and left it there for a year, came back, and put it on. Seriously as a nurse I've seen a lot, but this physician was just totally offputting and distracting. I mean some sense of self-awareness is needed for the role of physician, right? Thing is, he may have been a great person and a great doc. I've just never seen a professional present to anything close to that.

Point is, when people interview, they need to consider the importance of being self-aware, while not becoming neurotic or overly self-conscious, insecure or nervous. No one says anyone has to be perfect, but clearly there are presentations that are just outright distracting and disturbing.

Seriously, every time the person I described turned his head, the dandruff was literally coming off in mega sheets. I was trying not to breath any of it in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.