The White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been a rebel.

Yeah, I'm a physician.

But my nine-inch-lifted-black-Yukon XL-with limosine tint-sittin' on 35" Nitto Dune Grapplers doesnt blend very well in the doctors parking lot full of 911s, Lexuses, and Range Rovers.

I get alotta flack for the Copenhagen-silver-top can in my scrubs-shirt-pocket.

And the white coat?

The white coat is for insecure pu s s i es, I thought. Hadn't worn one for about ten years.

thought about my stance on that.

Now I show up to work in a white coat, brazen with

Jetproppilot MD
Anesthesiology

with da UM emblem on the pocket.

Why, you ask?

Cuz Jets an egotistical dude looking for attention?

Nope.

Could give a s hit less.

As long as I see all those zeroes separated-by-commas on my paycheck, I'll go park cars if you want me to.

Actually I get flack for the white coat from my colleagues, since I'm the only one at my new gig of 13 anesthesiologists that wears one.

Thats OK.

I like my decision.

Its not egotistical.

Anesthesiologists are experiencing an ambiguity phase, what with the AANA graying the picture, with people on the phone saying "ARE YOU ANESTHESIA?" "no, anesthesia is that liquid in the yellow-sevoflurane bottle, dickhole."

I am Dr. Jet.

MD.

And although I don't need any attention, I think the white coat is linked to that thought of what a doctor is. Not a nurse doctor, but a real doctor. An MD/DO. Someone who went to medical school. And did a residency.

I think if you show up on the floor with a white coat as opposed to just-scrubs, with Jetproppilot, MD, Anesthesiology on the chest, it matters.

And when you go in to pre-op a patient on the floor, a patient who is scared, looking for professionals to reassure them, it matters.

And when you walk in the doctors lounge of a very large hospital where evry doctor doesnt know every doctor, it matters.

I'm doing my small part to bring back some respect to the specialty.

And to doctors in general. Real doctors. Clinical dudes with MD/DO behind their name.

Dudes who went to med school. Residency.

Who have clinical knowledge/experience above-and-beyond the facade doctors.

I've changed.

No, the monsta-truck will still show up in the doctor's parking lot.

And if you find yourself devoid of a dip, no worries. I've got a Copenhagen can in my scrubs pocket.

But I wear my white coat now.

"HUH?"

"NOPE. I'M NOT ANESTHESIA."

"I'M DOCTOR JET."

Granted. All the wannabes have white coats too.

But mine says MD on it.

I've changed.

The white coat matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I prolly hate the white coat as much as you. Never thought about it this way, though.

Those Terra Grapplers are N-A-S-T-Y. Nice job. I've had the BFG All-Terrains for several years, long before everyone and their dog rode 'em. Love the tire, but I'm getting bored looking like everyone else.

I respect that Jet. Honestly, I don't wear a white coat unless I am going to a hospital in civilian clothes to round on patients. If I wore a white coat over my scrubs I would feel like all of the surgeons would look at me and think to themselves "what, is he trying to play doctor?" It would just be weird....not gonna do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
rmh149,

Arent you a nurse? What does wearing a white coat have to do with you?

Jet,
Since I just changed roles recently, and the custom is to wear a white coat while outside the OR it has made a difference as I now have random people pass by me in the hall and say "good morning doc" etc... which did not happen before. So it does let other people know who you are and that you are just not some "other" dude.

"ARE YOU ANESTHESIA?" "no, anesthesia is that liquid in the yellow-sevoflurane bottle, dickhole."

I am Dr. Jet.

MD.

I have always said the same thing except I say "Nope, anesthesia is what comes out of a machine. I am Dr. The_Sensei from the department of anesthesia." Oh yeah...........I USUALLY leave out the dickhole too.

rmh149,

Arent you a nurse? What does wearing a white coat have to do with you?

Jet,
Since I just changed roles recently, and the custom is to wear a white coat while outside the OR it has made a difference as I now have random people pass by me in the hall and say "good morning doc" etc... which did not happen before. So it does let other people know who you are and that you are just not some "other" dude.

I wear a white coat over plain clothes when I am in the hospital. It is appropriate to identify myself when I am seeing patients and pulling charts in the nurses station. Like you said....lets them know I am not just some other dude.

I wear a white coat over plain clothes when I am in the hospital. It is appropriate to identify myself when I am seeing patients and pulling charts in the nurses station. Like you said....lets them know I am not just some other dude.

Don't wear the long white coat that is TRADITIONALLY reserved for physicians like I'm sure you do, however. It is disrespectful for a nurse to try and blur the lines of who is and isn't a physician by doing so.

I agree with Jet. The coat does make a difference. There has been a lot of heated discussion about the way we dress as a profession and how seriously we are taken in the hospital board room and locker rooms by our colleagues in other specialties. I fall on the side of "if you want to be treated as a professional worthy of your salary, dress and act like a professional in all regards. That means being present in the OR even when you aren't needed. Having face time with the surgeons and being involved in the decision making for patient care and hospital policy. Serve on committees and represent your profession well with your colleagues. Be active and visible. Don't disappear to the lounge to sit on the couch all day. Be a teacher in the OR. Treat nurses and colleagues with respect and don't be an arrogant prick. Be a team player and a patient advocate. If you command respect with your presence and actions, you will usually receive it without having to ask for it.

These are things I personally strive to achieve. I wish I could say that I was 100% successful in meeting these goals. I fall off the mark in more instances than I care to admit, but then, nobody's perfect and everyone has their moments they wish they could get a "do over" on.

I think that if we, as a profession, strived to meet some of the goals stated above, we would be more respected as a field of medicine. The field has many young, energetic, and bright individuals entering into its training programs. I believe it is our job not to be bad stewards of their educational process and encourage them to get the most out of their training and achieve high levels of success in anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, pain medicine, critical care, OR management, medical education, and lastly research and the development of new information for the furthering of our field. These are all lofty goals, but the young people in our specialty are extremely bright and capable of carrying this torch to improve the public's (and our colleagues') view of our specialty.

If we wish to be treated as consultant physicians, we need to act as consultant physicians and not as technicians punching a time clock. Wearing the white coat is a very visible part of it and a good start. But our eventual goals should be more lofty. We need to preserve the future of our specialty. Think globally, but act locally as a good starting point.

Sorry if this sounded too preachy. I just think that our field of medicine needs a "makeover" in the worst way.

Don't wear the long white coat that is TRADITIONALLY reserved for physicians like I'm sure you do, however. It is disrespectful for a nurse to try and blur the lines of who is and isn't a physician by doing so.

Honestly, in my experience the only place where that tradition was applied was in the Army. I noticed PA students wearing short white coats. Everywhere else I have ever worked anyone wore a white coat...even the RN's rounding for thier doctors. As a nursing student we were required to wear a white coat when rounding the day before a clinical. Dieticians, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, etc. all wore long white coats.

Maybe it is different in other regions of the country.

In other words, stay out of the conversation rm.

I think Jet was trying to talk to PHYSICIANS. You remind me of an irritating cousin I have who insist on butting in on every conversation even though they have no Fcking clue what their talking about.

And don't give me BS about this being a public forum and all that first amendment crap.

On another note, I think non-physicians wearing the white coat has certainly diminished it's value for PHYSICIANS. Now even the janitor can wear a white coat.

JEt is changing????

Dude Jet, what's up? You are changing before my eyes!!

I remember about 1 yr ago when I posted the fact that PHYSICIANs should be the only ones wearing white coat I got a lot of people (including you) telling me that it was for people that are insecure.

Quite the contrary. What's the epiphany you had? Had to be something. PM me if you wish.

I hope you begin to also see that CRNAs arent our 'buddies' either.

Not sure, if you get the journal/newsletter "anesthesiology news". If you do check out the CME book they included in the issue for this month. They basically have a problem based book on cases in anesthesiology. You will see in there that the problem has ALREADY started. Some anesthesiologists are teaming up with CRNAs with PHd. It reads something like this:

Wanda Wilson, CRNA, PhD
Dept of Anesthesiology
ABVC Univ College of medicine

Dr. Wilson spends her free time..................

So as you can soon see, CRNAs are already being introduced and EXPECT to be introduced as Dr. whatever. NOT good for our specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Jet. The coat does make a difference. There has been a lot of heated discussion about the way we dress as a profession and how seriously we are taken in the hospital board room and locker rooms by our colleagues in other specialties. I fall on the side of "if you want to be treated as a professional worthy of your salary, dress and act like a professional in all regards. That means being present in the OR even when you aren't needed. Having face time with the surgeons and being involved in the decision making for patient care and hospital policy. Serve on committees and represent your profession well with your colleagues. Be active and visible. Don't disappear to the lounge to sit on the couch all day. Be a teacher in the OR. Treat nurses and colleagues with respect and don't be an arrogant prick. Be a team player and a patient advocate. If you command respect with your presence and actions, you will usually receive it without having to ask for it.

These are things I personally strive to achieve. I wish I could say that I was 100% successful in meeting these goals. I fall off the mark in more instances than I care to admit, but then, nobody's perfect and everyone has their moments they wish they could get a "do over" on.

I think that if we, as a profession, strived to meet some of the goals stated above, we would be more respected as a field of medicine. The field has many young, energetic, and bright individuals entering into its training programs. I believe it is our job not to be bad stewards of their educational process and encourage them to get the most out of their training and achieve high levels of success in anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, pain medicine, critical care, OR management, medical education, and lastly research and the development of new information for the furthering of our field. These are all lofty goals, but the young people in our specialty are extremely bright and capable of carrying this torch to improve the public's (and our colleagues') view of our specialty.

If we wish to be treated as consultant physicians, we need to act as consultant physicians and not as technicians punching a time clock. Wearing the white coat is a very visible part of it and a good start. But our eventual goals should be more lofty. We need to preserve the future of our specialty. Think globally, but act locally as a good starting point.

Sorry if this sounded too preachy. I just think that our field of medicine needs a "makeover" in the worst way.

Great post. Also, Jet's was good to hear. It's not preachy, and it's a good reminder, even to med students on projecting professionalism. Too many people confuse the concept of professionalism with stodginess. That's a mistake as we can all have personalities and even have fun with our jobs while projecting a healthy level of professionalism at the same time. It IS important.

I think Jet was trying to talk to PHYSICIANS. You remind me of an irritating cousin I have who insist on butting in on every conversation even though they have no Fcking clue what their talking about.

And don't give me BS about this being a public forum and all that first amendment crap.

On another note, I think non-physicians wearing the white coat has certainly diminished it's value for PHYSICIANS. Now even the janitor can wear a white coat.

You’re probably right. I should have stayed out of this conversation.

I tend to agree. But, try not being so personal. It doesn't need to be that way.

As an Army Captain you're in a unique position.

The first amendment, by strict interpretation, gives private citizens the freedom to criticize the federal government without fear of getting a knock on their door at 0200. That's all. The "free speech" philosophy does not allow someone to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater just for kicks.

When you raised your right hand, by default you gave up some of your rights courtesy of the UCMJ. Joining the military is the only place in America where your freedoms as outlined by the Bill of Rights can be limited. You would have to tread very carefully should you wish to publicly criticize Uncle, since you're technically on duty as an officer 24/7/365.

This is spot on. I hope ALL anesthesiologists (well, all physicians, but we're in an anesthesiology forum) can take this to heart. Something like it should be sent to every resident in the field, lol. Maybe we can get an ad in Anesthesiology, or the ASA newsletter :) (Eh, it'd prolly be seen as stating the obvious, but I wouldn't take it that way, and it could prolly be reworded or posted as an editorial.) Thoughts?

Tiz-ight Jet.

I'd wear my White Coat but I think the phlebotomist, the PA, the NP, the OT, the whatever, has the same one. No DR.VENT ANESTEHSIA guy on it. Just a big ol' Rush symbol.

Plus its full of VRE and MRSA laden particles from my stints in the Unit. With just a touch of KY jelly smeared on it...

I wear the labcoat sometimes, but guys, you're getting hung up on minor details, everybody wants to play the doctor thing, if you can't get respect without the labcoat, you aint gonna get it wearing one. Bottom line, I agree you should have your name on that white thing followed by MD/DO if you ware one. you're not going to stop mid-level providers with inferiority complex issues from pretending they are doctors, it is a psychiatric disorder. Now not all of them that way. I do respect the ones that correct those who address them as doctors. But it is all an ego issue, the best way to make a presence is by being a doctor and working as one not pretending to be one.

I ware the labcoat sometimes, but guys, you're getting hung up on minor details, everybody wants to play the doctor thing, if you can't get respect without the labcoat, you aint gonna get it waring one.

I am not sure if you read my post. The coat issue is a minor part of it. My post was not about minor details nor did it address mid level providers. I think our biggest battle is in gaining the respect of the public and our colleagues in the field of medicine. If we are highly valued by the public and by our colleagues, we have nothing to fear. Being highly valued does not come automatically just because you have an MD/DO behind your name.

That is my opinion.

I am not sure if you read my post. The coat issue is a minor part of it. My post was not about minor details nor did it address mid level providers. I think our biggest battle is in gaining the respect of the public and our colleagues in the field of medicine. If we are highly valued by the public and by our colleagues, we have nothing to fear. Being highly valued does not come automatically just because you have an MD/DO behind your name.

That is my opinion.
I did read your post, and I do agree with you, my reply was not inteded to you, but more toward the starters in the field, or aspiring anesthesiologists. I was stating the reality. Don't take it personal. I was medical student at one point, I know how some of us can be very pompus and think that their s#$t doesn't stink. we still breed those doctors to this day, that is a big part of the problem.

I ware the labcoat sometimes, but guys, you're getting hung up on minor details, everybody wants to play the doctor thing, if you can't get respect without the labcoat, you aint gonna get it waring one. Bottom line, I agree you should have your name on that white thing followed by MD/DO if you ware one. you're not going to stop mid-level providors with inferiority complex issues from pretending they are doctors, it is a psychiatric disorder. Now not all of them that way. I do respect the ones that correct those who adress them as doctors. But it is all an ego issue, the best way to make a presence is by being a doctor and working as one not pretending to be one.

No, Slim.

Not hung up on minor details.

Just pointing out my (changed, revised) feelings that the minor detail-white-coat-thang is, yes, a minor detail.

But an important minor detail, nonetheless.

AND it is not an ego issue, Slim.

Please read my post.

I'd rather keep The White Coat in the back of the monsta truck.

But that ain't the right thing to do.

In other words,

you totally missed the message from my post.

Judging from your grammar, you missed it probably because you are an anesthesiologist in another country, fluent in your native language, and not fluent in English, which must be your second language.

So I understand.

I ware the labcoat sometimes, but guys, you're getting hung up on minor details, everybody wants to play the doctor thing, if you can't get respect without the labcoat, you aint gonna get it waring one. Bottom line, I agree you should have your name on that white thing followed by MD/DO if you ware one. you're not going to stop mid-level providors with inferiority complex issues from pretending they are doctors, it is a psychiatric disorder. Now not all of them that way. I do respect the ones that correct those who adress them as doctors. But it is all an ego issue, the best way to make a presence is by being a doctor and working as one not pretending to be one.

I don't think anyone was advocating "pretending" to be a doctor by wearing a lab coat. It's a fact that attire makes impressions on people. And sometimes you need to dress the part, that's all. It's one minor facet of presenting (not pretending) a professional image. I'd rather be taken care of by a professional looking person without sloppy joe stains on his/her shirt as well. And, yeah, it does matter.

That being said, I agree that it's in the performance. But, in the context of people that don't know how you perform (or that don't even know you), this stuff means a lot actually.

As an Army Captain you're in a unique position.

The first amendment, by strict interpretation, gives private citizens the freedom to criticize the federal government without fear of getting a knock on their door at 0200. That's all. The "free speech" philosophy does not allow someone to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater just for kicks.

When you raised your right hand, by default you gave up some of your rights courtesy of the UCMJ. Joining the military is the only place in America where your freedoms as outlined by the Bill of Rights can be limited. You would have to tread very carefully should you wish to publicly criticize Uncle, since you're technically on duty as an officer 24/7/365.

Heh. Hold on now, if you think what I said is publicly criticizing Uncle Sam, then go ahead and report me to the attorney general.

Let's see, how can the US government punished me for saying something in a supposedly private forum. Maybe a dic(head) like yourself who searched my previous posts and realize that I was an officer can prosecute me.

Still bitter about the Physician anesthetist comment I see.

Jet, you could just be like Dr. 90210 and get embroidered muscle scrubs. Hell, even buy some dumbbells for the holding area too. Get some sets in between cases.

Jet, you could just be like Dr. 90210 and get embroidered muscle scrubs. Hell, even buy some dumbbells for the holding area too. Get some sets in between cases.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

The surgeons would love that,huh?

"Hey Dude, can yuh spot me? I'll start your case as soon as this sets over.."

Heh. Hold on now, if you think what I said is publicly criticizing Uncle Sam, then go ahead and report me to the attorney general.

Let's see, how can the US government punished me for saying something in a supposedly private forum. Maybe a dic(head) like yourself who searched my previous posts and realize that I was an officer can prosecute me.

Still bitter about the Physician anesthetist comment I see.

Kindly don't read stuff into my posts which doesn't exist nor which I didn't say. And I don't play the "read between the lines" game. Please read my posts strictly on face value.

I didn't say you criticized Uncle Sam. I was simply eludicating the precise specifics (and limitations) of the First Amendment for those interested. And then mentioning how certain government employees (including me) (not you specifically) must be careful due to where their paycheck comes from. Nothing about you personally. Nothing more.

I'm not bitter about anything nor anyone. Life's too short for grudges and my value/reward system is found in my religion, not in my toys or ego. Peace.

No, Slim.

Not hung up on minor details.

Just pointing out my (changed, revised) feelings that the minor detail-white-coat-thang is, yes, a minor detail.

But an important minor detail, nonetheless.

AND it is not an ego issue, Slim.

Please read my post.

I'd rather keep The White Coat in the back of the monsta truck.

But that ain't the right thing to do.

In other words,

you totally missed the message from my post.

Judging from your grammar, you missed it probably because you are an anesthesiologist in another country, fluent in your native language, and not fluent in English, which must be your second language.

So I understand.

Sorry about the grammar (I hope I spelled "grammar" right), I was in a case (on call), since we have electronic records, so I was not paying attention to spelling, and did not want the response to phase out. anyway, I am stateside btw, and I was just playing the devil's advocate, the ego thing was toward the non-physicians and obviously does not effect you., I think there is some communication issue here, trying to instill in the minds of the soon to be anesthesiologists to focus on the most important thing: To be a GREAT anesthesiologist. I have said it multiple times in the private forum, we need candidates going into anesthesia that are chosing the profession not for lifestyle and MONEY but the physiology, pharmacology, CCM, etc...
I hope my grammar is better now, I did get few hours of sleep.

I don't think anyone was advocating "pretending" to be a doctor by wearing a lab coat. It's a fact that attire makes impressions on people. And sometimes you need to dress the part, that's all. It's one minor facet of presenting (not pretending) a professional image. I'd rather be taken care of by a professional looking person without sloppy joe stains on his/her shirt as well. And, yeah, it does matter.

That being said, I agree that it's in the performance. But, in the context of people that don't know how you perform (or that don't even know you), this stuff means a lot actually.

Easy dude, read my reply, I wear the labcoat as well, there are non-physicians that wear (the correct spelling JPP:D ) the damn long coat from the RT's/RN's/LPN's/OT/PA's, it started with the labcoat and now there are many people that write prescriptions/orders that should not do so. My point is there are other ways to seperate yourself from the rest of the mid-level, and that is by YOUR KNOWLEDGE

Easy dude, read my reply, I wear the labcoat as well, there are non-physicians that wear (the correct spelling JPP:D ) the damn long coat from the RT's/RN's/LPN's/OT/PA's, it started with the labcoat and now there are many people that write prescriptions/orders that should not do so. My point is there are other ways to seperate yourself from the rest of the mid-level, and that is by YOUR KNOWLEDGE

Point taken bro. I knew what you meant, really. I just used your post to make a counter point, not to ostracize/exploit it cheaply.

Kindly don't read stuff into my posts which doesn't exist nor which I didn't say. And I don't play the "read between the lines" game. Please read my posts strictly on face value.

I didn't say you criticized Uncle Sam. I was simply eludicating the precise specifics (and limitations) of the First Amendment for those interested. And then mentioning how certain government employees (including me) (not you specifically) must be careful due to where their paycheck comes from. Nothing about you personally. Nothing more.

I'm not bitter about anything nor anyone. Life's too short for grudges and my value/reward system is found in my religion, not in my toys or ego. Peace.

Fair enough. However if you are concerned about policing Military officers publicly criticizing the US of A, go the to the military medicine forum.

Cheers.

Actually I get flack for the white coat from my colleagues, since I'm the only one at my new gig of 13 anesthesiologists that wears one.

Hey man great post. I missed your wisdom while you were gone. Tell us about he details of your new gig. How do you like it compared to your old ect. I always appreciated the real world practice details you gave.

MC

Ha, wouldn't it be nice if the medical community treated the white coat like a military badge/patch? Private wouldn't dare roll up into 4th RNG TNG BDE sporting a scroll and tab. Damn if everybody at UAMS doesn't roll in their "white coat."

Around here, most of the people in white coats are.........

Nurses.

Nurse managers with a boatload of initials after their name to be specific.

In recent years, there has been an increased emphasis on the role of anesthesiologists as perioperative physicians. However, a new group of physicians called hospitalists has emerged and established a role as perioperative physicians. Most hospitalists have specialized in internal medicine and its subspecialties. We reviewed American medical literature over the last 13 years on the roles of anesthesiologists and hospitalists as perioperative physicians. Results showed that the concept of the anesthesiologist as the perioperative physician is strongly supported by the American Board of Anesthesiology and the leaders of the specialty. However, most anesthesiologists limit their practice to intraoperative care and immediate acute postoperative care in the postanesthesia care unit. The hospitalists may fill a different role by caring for patients in the preoperative and sometimes in the postoperative period, allowing the surgeon to focus on surgery. These roles of the anesthesiologists and the hospitalists as perioperative physicians may be complementary. We conclude that if anesthesiologists and hospitalists work together as peri-operative physicians, with each specialty bringing its expertise to the care of the perioperative patient, care is likely to improve. It is necessary to be proactive and identify areas of future cooperation and collaboration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=17431448&query_hl=5&itool=pubmed_docsum

If a hospital switched to a policy whereby all doctors must wear blue coats whereas everybody else can wear whatever they want, how long do you think it would be before hte nurses started wearing the blue coats to copy the docs?

I give it 6 months maximum.

Everybody wants to play doctor. It has nothing to do with the coat and EVERYTHING to do with the status it represents.

If a hospital switched to a policy whereby all doctors must wear blue coats whereas everybody else can wear whatever they want, how long do you think it would be before hte nurses started wearing the blue coats to copy the docs?

Everybody wants to play doctor. It has nothing to do with the coat and EVERYTHING to do with the status it represents.

:thumbup: Dude, I'm glad others see it the way I do, I've been saying that all along.
You should join the private forum if you haven't done so, I'm trying to keep it cool here

Only seen it happen once, and it was 2 weeks ago. There was confusion about what the "doctor" had said, because the doctor hadn't been in. Turns out it was the male nurse in the buttoned up long white coat that had said something.

We're supposed to be color-coded now to identify everyone (nurses royal blue, techs teal, rad techs red top and navy blue bottoms, and EM docs OD green), or "dress clothes". I was wearing my tropical shirts and the white coat, but "the man" came down on me, so, now, I don't just wear the regular collared shirts, but a tie, too, on weekends and overnights (a little overkill) - although I have enough novelty ties to last for months (rubber ducks tomorrow, and just wait for "Christmas in June"!).

But I hear where jet is coming from - loud and clear.

I think it would happen, but it would take a couple of years. Now if the docs wore blue coats and suddenly the majority of CNA's/phleb/techs were the ones wearing white lab coats then I think in general nurses/pt/ot/diet would all quit wearing the white coats pretty quickly. As a nursing student who has to wear all white on clinical days I will be burning all things white upon graduation. :D